Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt (6937 Views)

Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London / Ibori’s Conviction, Private Matter – Delta State Government / James Ibori Conviction: Nigerian Judicial System & EFCC Should Be Ashamed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by Htown64(m): 9:51am On Apr 19, 2012
The Delta State Government on Tuesday maintained that it had no official reaction to the jail term handed down to former Delta State Governor, James Ibori, by a London Court.

The government insisted that Ibori remained a private citizen till he was sentenced by the court, noting that it would be inappropriate for the state government to take a position on a “purely private’’ matter.

The state Commissioner for Information, Mr Chike Ogeah, told our correspondent in Asaba that it was not the job of the government to take a stand on such issues.

“He (Ibori) is a private citizen. Delta state government cannot have an official position on a purely private matter,” Ogeah said.

But the Ijaw National Leader, Chief Edwin Clark, in his reaction described the conviction of Ibori as well deserved.

The octogenarian said Ibori’s sentencing vindicated his position that the ex-governor was a thief who used his position as governor to enrich himself.

He said, “We have been vindicated at last because most Deltans misunderstood us when we started the fight. Even the people believed that we manipulated his arrest, but my joy is that he pleaded guilty to the charges of corruption and money laundering; it is nemesis that caught up with him.

“It is very sad that someone who was governor of Delta State is being convicted in far away London. It is something we are receiving with mixed feelings because he has dented the image of our state; he has dented the image of the judiciary and he has dented the image of the Attorney- General of this country.”

Former Minister of State for Education, Chief Kenneth Gbagi, described the conviction of Ibori as unfortunate.

He said, “The sentence will serve as a big lesson to others. Whatever it is, it will make the society purer and better.”

Also, the Save Nigeria Group and the Civil Liberties Organisation on Tuesday blamed the escape of Ibori from justice in Nigeria on the nation’s judiciary.

Similarly, the Coalition Against Corrupt Leaders said corruption had continued to thrive in Nigeria because the nation’s criminal justice system seemed to give corrupt leaders a pat on the back.

Speaking with NAN, the SNG spokesman, Mr Yinka Odumakin, lamented that Ibori, who was given a clean bill on corruption by a Nigerian Court, had been convicted for similar offences abroad.

“We cannot continue to run a country where the rich get away with crimes against humanity.

“This is an opportunity for the judiciary to re-check itself and mend its broken walls” Odumakin said.

In his reaction, the Lagos State Chairman of the CLO, Mr Ehi Omokhuale, told NAN that “Iboris’s conviction is a big slap on Nigeria’s image and its justice system.

“There are so many Ibori’s running free in Nigeria and their freedom is a threat to our democracy.

“For the crime of impoverishing his people, Ibori deserved a life sentence or death, rather than a mere 13 years,” the CLO Chairman said.

http://www.punchng.com/news/iboris-conviction-private-matter-delta/
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by otokx(m): 10:42am On Apr 19, 2012
Private matter ke? when he made cash from the sale of vmobile shares owned by delta state.

1 Like

Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by Demdem(m): 10:52am On Apr 19, 2012
Crooks. private matter that has to do with the states resources that has been stolen and yet they still feel its not worth commenting on.even if its to praise the court for a job well done and envisaging when the recovered loot will be returned.

of cos that wont be done bcause they are much more worse than Ibori himself. Thieves

1 Like

Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by gulfer: 1:55pm On Apr 19, 2012
When your resources are being frittered away by someone and you are saying it is a private matter. All the charges against him were for manipulation of his state and its resources during his two terms as governor.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by dagreen14: 1:56pm On Apr 19, 2012
otokx: Private matter ke? when he made cash from the sale of vmobile shares owned by delta state.

See our country and the comments that came out of our people that represent us....
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by Beaf: 1:59pm On Apr 19, 2012
otokx: Private matter ke? when he made cash from the sale of vmobile shares owned by delta state.
Thank you. Its like he stole in "private," not as governor of the state.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by dagreen14: 2:00pm On Apr 19, 2012
gulfer: When your resources are being frittered away by someone and you are saying it is a private matter. All the charges against him were for manipulation of his state and its resources during his two terms as governor.

His relative is the current Gov. of Delta state....So expect such statement ...
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by Tintinix: 2:01pm On Apr 19, 2012
I am dumbfounded! The Funds of your states where looted, the looter pleaded guilty to it, the looter was ilegal in office, to crown it all up he is now in sentenced to a jail term and it is a private matter?
Are these people so stupid or is that they think the people who get to read these nonsences are stupid, i think they take us too much for granted, how can this be private?
Our Judiciary system in there unrighteous Judgement declared the same private cititen guilt less and it became the Public government matter in delta state that they held a thankgiving ceremony... in what church? Now it is Private!
Hmmm citizens of Delta, South South, Nigeria How do we make these our politiicans stop deriding us with such shameless statements? How do we make them accountable to the comments they make.
Why can't our government Openly condemn the actions of their former fellow Governor, or nobody wants to cast the first stone... infact right from when he pleaded guilty.
I read in one post that he pleaded guilty to save Nigeria's Public image, what crap is that?

I tire abeg!
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by otokx(m): 2:09pm On Apr 19, 2012
The whole thing is just sickening
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by Olaolufred(m): 2:10pm On Apr 19, 2012
If Uduaghan says it is a private matter, then it is.
However, I prefare that UK send that money to the world bank than to send it to Delta state.
If they send it to Delta, the money will still remain a private money.
Or is it not true?

2 Likes

Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by kunlekunle: 2:18pm On Apr 19, 2012
Olaolufred: If Uduaghan says it is a private matter, then it is.
However, I prefare that UK send that money to the world bank than to send it to Delta state.
Or is it not true?

the deltans need to initiate a project and ask uk govt to aloow them use the money for it.
Avoid relooting the money
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by babaowo: 2:19pm On Apr 19, 2012
what he meant by private matter is that ibori is a dual citizen of uk and naija,and uk is treating ibori like their citizen who had violated the united kingdom laws and orders.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by kaiter: 2:22pm On Apr 19, 2012
However, I prefare that UK send that money to the world bank than to send it to Delta state. [img]http://www.seseo.info/abs[/img]
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by CyberG: 2:24pm On Apr 19, 2012
Since it's a private matter, hope the UK will not send the money to Delta state or Nigerian Government. They can keep the money since it is a private matter - it doesn't concern governments in Nigeria. Or, they can use it to improve their justice system as we will need them to help try and convict more government thieves later.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by uncleb(m): 2:25pm On Apr 19, 2012
Am not surprised, that is the best comment any reasonable Nigeria should expect.
How can a thief call another one a thief. It just tells you what is going on currently.
He that must come to equity, must come with a clean hands.
My fear is that the money will just change hands form one**** to anoither ****
How i wish UK can manage the money to provide infrastructure in Delta state rather than hand it over to the current admin.

Finally, am ashamed on the nation's judiciary, and i have always said that the solution to this vice is in the judiciary hands
until we begin to do like China in dealing with corruption.

Why dont we have light--- Corruption

Why is are the roads so bad?

Why is the unemployment rate so high

Why do we lack medical facilities

Why inadequate housing

Why is the educational system paralysed

Why the insurgence in the Northern part of the country

Name it, everything is traceable to corruption

Hmmmmmm, i pray we stop this monster before it "stopped" our Nation
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by spako4(m): 2:27pm On Apr 19, 2012
let this serve as a warning to other rogues because sooner or later you will join him in jail
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by Nobody: 2:32pm On Apr 19, 2012
What differentiates the speaker from the jailed?
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by Olaolufred(m): 2:47pm On Apr 19, 2012
kunlekunle:

the deltans need to initiate a project and ask uk govt to aloow them use the money for it.
Avoid relooting the money
With Uduaghan, his Cousin as Gov.
Why do they call it a private matter?
Because it is a family matter.
Who in delta now can determine where money moves to?
think again man.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by sonyjacobs(m): 2:48pm On Apr 19, 2012
shame on delta state govt. I rememba sumtime ago when d delta state house of assembly quickly rush 2 pass a resolution dat no money was missing 4rm d coffers of delta state just 2 persuade british govt 2 drop charges against ibori.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by Olaolufred(m): 2:53pm On Apr 19, 2012
uncleb: Am not surprised, that is the best comment any reasonable Nigeria should expect.
How can a thief call another one a thief. It just tells you what is going on currently.
He that must come to equity, must come with a clean hands.
My fear is that the money will just change hands form one**** to anoither ****
How i wish UK can manage the money to provide infrastructure in Delta state rather than hand it over to the current admin.

Finally, am ashamed on the nation's judiciary, and i have always said that the solution to this vice is in the judiciary hands
until we begin to do like China in dealing with corruption.

Why dont we have light--- Corruption

Why is are the roads so bad?

Why is the unemployment rate so high

Why do we lack medical facilities

Why inadequate housing

Why is the educational system paralysed

Why the insurgence in the Northern part of the country

Name it, everything is traceable to corruption

Hmmmmmm, i pray we stop this monster before it "stopped" our Nation

Thanks for adding the Northern insurgency to your list.
We shy away from reality.
In a society full of injustice, Militancy will always rise.
Expect more than Boko Haram.
We are shouting Boko, but no one is seeing the atrocities of the Govt. and their officials.
They will be silent. Thinking of the next Fuel pump price increament.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by OAM4J: 3:17pm On Apr 19, 2012
Private matter? shocked

Somebody pleaded guilty and was convicted for stealing the state fund and the state stolen from claims its a private matter. Unbelievable!

May God save Delta state. Beaf please pray and do something for your state.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by dvee2: 3:45pm On Apr 19, 2012
PLEASE I HAVE A QUESTION FOR ANYBODY WITH LEGAL BACKGROUND IN NAIRALAND. WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THE SENTENCING OF IBORI IN FOREIGN LAND? WHAT IS THE STANCE OF NJC ON THIS MATTER? CAN THE JUDGE WHO FREED IBORI IN NIGERIA BE REPREMANDED IN WHATEVER FORM BY THE NJC/NBA? BECAUSE IT IS OBVIOUS HE WAS BRIBE FOR THAT JUDGEMENT.THIS INDEED IS A HUGE DISGRACE TO OUR JUDICIARY,JUGEMENT FOR SALE.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by donpeluchi(m): 4:01pm On Apr 19, 2012
It would have been better for the delta state government to remain silent rather that make such a stupid statement. Now we know for sure that they are birds of the same feather. Does anyone know how we can contact the british and tell them not to return the money
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by Reference(m): 4:03pm On Apr 19, 2012

My brother that is the problem with our national economic system based on resource allocation, like the gas being flared, no one cares. Because it is allocation and all you need is a pen and briefcase they don't care how much is lost, afterall tommorrow off to Abuja for another one.

If these states were earning income strictly from taxation, investment and royalties what will make them throw their shares away or not seek the recovery of their stolen assets.

I've said it countless times, the system we operate is the fuel burning the corruption rocket. And until either the resources are exhausted or we restructure, there's practically no hope.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by ifihearam: 4:29pm On Apr 19, 2012
What moral justification does Edwin Clark have to call Ibori a thief?? Is it not thesame ols thief thst has been awarded dozens of contracts by the minister of niger delta affairs Godsday Orubebe without him implementing any? His he not away of the monies our current president stole in government house whislt he was the governor of bayelsa state? Not to mention that DSP Alams and Timipre SylvaM
I am not in support of Ibori on the contrary I am glad that his hass could be naied after the useless udiaciary gave him a clean bil but people like E K Clark should be the last to call anyone a thief because he is an armed robber.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by dayokanu(m): 4:51pm On Apr 19, 2012
If na Aregbesola, I am sure someone would be running around naked in ecstacy now
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by Nobody: 4:53pm On Apr 19, 2012
dagreen14:

See our country and the comments that came out of our people that represent us....
What were you expecting from one who works for an id!ot?
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by Beaf: 5:06pm On Apr 19, 2012
OAM4J: Private matter? shocked

Somebody pleaded guilty and was convicted for stealing the state fund and the state stolen from claims its a private matter. Unbelievable!

May God save Delta state. Beaf please pray and do something for your state.
Nah, we don't waste time praying.

@topic
Since, the theft of our money has become a "private" matter, it is best that Deltans lobby the UK govt not to release a dime of that money before 2015, lest it too disappears in another "private transaction." angry
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt by Htown64(m): 5:10pm On Apr 19, 2012
Olaolufred: If Uduaghan says it is a private matter, then it is.
Or is it not true?
TRue.

(1) (2) (Reply)

OBJ Uncovers Top Secrets. Says WHY Buhari WILL Win / Graphic Photos: Somebody Please Save Plateau State From Fulanis / NUT Nominates Obiano As The Best Education Friendly Governor 2017 (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.