Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,575 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? (9486 Views)

Why Should A Pastor Be A Bestseller Author? / Oritsejafor To Jonathan - Give Half Of Your Salary To The Poor / Who Can This Pastor Be Referring To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by shadrach77: 12:18am On May 03, 2013
I've been trying to get my head around this issue. I used to think it was right since the bible says 'those who work ast the temple must eat at the temple, but after re-assesing my views over the issue, i came to the conclusion that pastors should NOT be paid monthly salary or any form of renumeration due to the following reasons

A. Getting a salary means you are not trusting God to be your source of provision. Afterall, when Jesus needed money for tax, he simply asked his disciples to go and check the mouth of a fish

B. If you are getting a salary, how can you convince your congregation to build their faith when you yourself are not exercising faith

C. How can any man pay adequately for work done for God? Only God himself can do that

D. We never heard of Jesus and rhe apostles taking salaries. They depended on God to meet their needs

E. Taking a salary from the church purse means the pastor is under pressure when funds are not coming in and this explains why some pastors go to extra ordinary length to convince their congregation to pay tithes and to sow seed into the church coffers. The reason might not be for the benefit of the church but because the pastor is moved by his own personal circumstance

F. Since the pastor is not the only worker in the church, it then means if he is getting a salary, other workers - choiristers, cleaners, ushers etc must also be paid salaries. It's either everyone is paid or nobody gets paid

G. God's work is meant to be volountary lest anyone goes into it for financial gain

What are your thoughts peeps?

angry wink cheesy smiley

1 Like

Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by omofat: 11:19am On May 03, 2013
How does the pastor eat and provide for his family?

2 Likes

Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:23am On May 03, 2013
^he begs like a humble hermit.

for example in India, unlike corrupt xtians, the Pagan Hindu Brahmin priests dont ask for tithes. they go house to house, begging for food.

1 Like

Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by lifestyle1(m): 11:37am On May 03, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

for example in India, unlike corrupt xtians, the Pagan Hindu Brahmin priests dont ask for tithes. they go house to house, begging for food.

Your handle says it all....

4 Likes

Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by shdemidemi(m): 11:38am On May 03, 2013
Of course you need to care for the welfare of your teachers or pastors as the case may be. It must not be by tithes though (NO TITHES) but by a structure in form of gifts that should be clear to members. But if the pastor has another source of income from a secular job, this arrangement should not be applicable.

1 Like

Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by lifestyle1(m): 11:39am On May 03, 2013
@ O.P, THIS IS A JOKE, RIGHT

2 Likes

Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by Krasid(m): 11:40am On May 03, 2013
Being a pastor is not a job or occupation and i don't support that idea,afterall they are doing God's work.by the way,who brought up this idea.

1 Like

Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by slimmoney(m): 11:40am On May 03, 2013
So hw do Ʊ want Dem 2 feed dia families nd pay dia bills?

2 Likes

Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by adami48(f): 11:41am On May 03, 2013
should, meaning after dis post we ll know if to pay em or not or wat are u talking about? Dis days instrumentalist are paid, technical crew paid though depends, so i dnt see why they shouldn't.
Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by WIZGUY69(m): 11:42am On May 03, 2013
undecided @ op wetin be ur problem nah? Or u want open ur own branch? If dem no pay dem salary aw do u want dem 2 eat. Or u want dere children to carry plate and enta market to start begging like almajiri. Leave dem d best reason y dey collext salary is best known to God!
Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by jmoore(m): 11:42am On May 03, 2013
shadrach77: I've been trying to get my head around this issue. I used to think it was right since the bible says 'those who work ast the temple must eat at the temple, but after re-assesing my views over the issue, i came to the conclusion that pastors should NOT be paid monthly salary or any form of renumeration

@op,the bible supports that they should be paid and your brain supports they should not be paid.Your statement epitomizes that of a confused human being. Your conclusion is flawed.

No, he should not be paid monthly salary but he should be paid weekly.. grin grin

1 Timothy 5:17-18

Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching. For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain,” and, “The laborer deserves his wages.”

10 Likes

Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by Nobody: 11:43am On May 03, 2013
Yes. He should be paid. Else, he will wonder away and turn the tithe and offering to his own empire. So, he must be paid!
Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by Lilimax(f): 11:44am On May 03, 2013
Most pastors are given some money for their monthly up keep.
It is not called salary per say rather allowance is more like it.
This money is given to them to keep body and soul together.
Afterall, they have families they are catering for. wink

1 Like

Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by ifejilikja(m): 11:44am On May 03, 2013
they should be paid or depend on church offerings and tithe
Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by AkinDavid2: 11:45am On May 03, 2013
@OP, Pastors need to be paid salary no matter how little it will be. Putting faith in God for provision is just more than the issue of what the Pastors are paid. Basic responsibilities need be met, and God has made that provision with the instruction that they should be catered for from the temple.
Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by Nobody: 11:47am On May 03, 2013
slimmoney: So hw do Ʊ want Dem 2 feed dia families nd pay dia bills?
Lmao!
Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by LEvuls(m): 11:48am On May 03, 2013
d way am seeing it na bizness oo
pastor eats his
assist pastor chops her too
church accountant eats or fit embezzle
memberz supose get share too cos we all folo de run d bizness....

1 Like

Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by sureteeboy(m): 11:48am On May 03, 2013
It depends!! If that's the pastor's only field. He can recieve salary. But if he has other means of earning, he is not entitled to collect salary
Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by Nobody: 11:52am On May 03, 2013
Edited.
Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by foreignstudy: 11:53am On May 03, 2013
I can only speak what we have here in Europa and here a pastor or a priest get paid from the church. They get also money from the goverment when they teach in schools but it belongs how much they get how old they are and how big the church is.

Why could this not possible in Nigeria, than there would be no great man of good you have there own jet and live like a millionair.

Who knows what a pastor in nigeria make with the money he get from his churchmembers. What he makes with the tithes he gets from his churchmembers.

Her in austria when they ask for tithes they have to say for what they need it, and they have to tell the churchmembers how much they get and what they make with the money.

I don't know if a nigerian pastor make this.
Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by abitex577(m): 11:59am On May 03, 2013
In the real sense of it Pastor's are not paid. They are only given stipends to carter for essential needs and that comes from the sacrifices on the alter. The sacrifices could be VOWS, OFFERINGS, TITHES and FREE-WILL DONATIONS. Every pastors sincere and faithful work with God is what actually brings about their reward - PAY. This could be seen as the Pastor's HONOUR, that is why the bible clearly says that 'he that that receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward.If one honours a genuine pastor and gives him a suit, the same person will surely receive a reward from God.
Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by adewal15(m): 12:01pm On May 03, 2013
He who called him as provided means of his survival.. Reasoning members too should know he's an human and would need money... HE IS TO BE PAID TO BE SINCERE.
Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by konn: 12:02pm On May 03, 2013
Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by sexymoma(f): 12:05pm On May 03, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

hw wud u feel if ur pastor is going 4rm house to house begging for food...fink wid ur head nt wid ur scrotum.
Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by vowiski(m): 12:07pm On May 03, 2013
A pastor has no right to any monthly salary, It is just that we Nigerians are very Gullible. I was once like that, But after I was exposed to biblical truths, i realized that alot of unscriptural nonsense have been preached through the pulpit.

When we fail to study, we prevent access to knowledge. Many of us let our clergy men do the study for us, while we just go to church on Sunday, screaming and yelling "ride on pastor cheesy" even even when the man is saying gibberish, but how can we know, when we do not study?

If a man goes into the Nigeria church business because of money, that's not a pastor, In the days of my gullibility, I used to be scared to talk about pastors, but these days they are nothing but con artist.. The bible says we should test every spirit because the anti-christ have gone into the world mis-leading God's children. When we test them, we Judge them according to the doctrine of Christ.

This is what Apostle Paul says regarding work, Apostle Paul was the man who Jesus, said would be the instrument to spread the Gospel truths..

Many fraudulent pastors will avoid reading the bible verse cheesy

2 Thessalonians 3 (New International Version)

6 In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers and sisters, to keep away from every believer who is idle and disruptive and does not live according to the teaching[a] you received from us. 7 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, 8 nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. 9 We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you to imitate. 10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

Let me remind belivers, that spreading the gospel is not a work, it is the primary assignment of every christian. I wonder how the Church deteriorated so low. Humans worshiping the fellow mortal pastors.. Paying tithes and all those unscriptural nonsense.

If you want to hide anything from an African, Put it inside the book.. cheesy... He will never find it..

Today, they are countless churches in every corner of Nigeria, yet Nigerians live under 1$ a day while clergy-men who have no works parade in private jets, hummer jeeps, range rover with battalion of security operatives making it hard to differentiate them from corrupt politicians.

If the preachers of God's words were like the jewish rulers, no-body would have said; :"ah.. these guys are christ-like" shocked
they would probably have said, "oh.. they look just like Ceasar" sad

13 Likes

Re: Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? by Austindark(m): 12:07pm On May 03, 2013
salary ke.
we will soon start submitting cv's to get the post of a pastor.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pics:archaeologists Discover The City Of Sodom & Gomorrah Matching Old Testament / Mark Zuckerberg Was NEVER An Atheist In The First Place . / What Is The Difference Between Faith And Hope?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.