Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,442 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? (3738 Views)

Top Five Hit Songs Not Written By Artistes Who Sang Them / Rihanna's Umbrella / Dbang's "Tongolo" Was Written For Ini Edo? (2) (3) (4)

Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by olush0la(m): 7:27am On Apr 16, 2008
I was caught by a story that a Nigerian wrote the 'umbrella' track. I spread the gist like a wildfire sharp sharp. But after the excitement died, I did a bigger search with google and found out that Britney Spears was first offered the track but she turned it down and our own Taio Cruz (Real name: Adetayo Ayowale Onile-Ere) wanted it badly and had started recording a demo but Jay-z muscled in and chanced him. Taio Cruz was born to a Nigerian father and Brazilian mother, and raised in London, England. Read excerpts of an interview with him on the issue:

What`s the story behind `Umbrella` being earmarked for you?

“Basically I was there at `Tricky` Stewart`s studio the day they wrote it, and just absolutely loved it from the get-go! So, because this was when I was putting my album together, I was like `I really have to have this song!`! But `Tricky` was like `Let me just see whether Britney`s people come back to me first`. And then, when they did come back saying it wasn`t going to be for her, I was like `OK. Cool`. So I started recording the demo. But then, when I got back to London, before I could get the song basically secured as mine, Jay-Z and Rihanna came through saying `If we get the song we`re going to put this much money behind it!`… And so I guess the rest is history!”
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by Davidhouse: 2:40pm On May 05, 2008

We are great people in Naija
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by iice(f): 5:12pm On May 05, 2008
Written or offered to a nigerian?
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by jennyjatt: 1:03pm On May 22, 2008
what!
so u guys dont know that Nigerians are great.
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by jaybaby(f): 2:25pm On May 28, 2008
Written By A Nigerian
Hmmm U guyz r great! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by galatico(m): 10:20am On Jul 01, 2008
Nigerians would never stop spreading lies!!!
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by Phiniter(m): 8:15pm On Jul 03, 2008
galatico:

Nigerians would never stop spreading lies!!!
My brother this thing self
I no even understand the explanattion whey im dey give self
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by elfuego(m): 11:59am On Jul 15, 2008
You no say nija guys no dey carry last now!!!!!
but let's chill for a sec. the explanation was a bit confusing and weird.
why do we (Nigerians) always claim good tins?
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by elfuego(m): 12:00pm On Jul 15, 2008
You no say nija guys no dey carry last now!!!!!
but let's chill for a sec. the explanation was a bit confusing and weird.
why do we (Nigerians) always claim good tins?
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by Moyola(f): 12:03pm On Jul 15, 2008
@ EL-FUEGO
do u rily hv 2 post it twice!

@ post
it could be true,
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by osasp(m): 12:24pm On Jul 17, 2008
it says it was offered to him not written by him

una sef
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by javalove(m): 1:35pm On Jul 17, 2008
i dont know wai nigerians never aprc8 their own. if to say d guy na ghanina now, na we go dey shout am pass d ghaninas sef. So if i build a software that shakes d world, una no go bliv, e ma rundown ni!!!!
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by TheSly: 1:45pm On Jul 17, 2008
Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian?
Stop all these bloody rumors y'all. . . . . .
The Dream wrote Umbrella's lyrics.
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by mrjuwon: 4:46pm On Jul 17, 2008
How does this make sense. The song was written by The Dream who is clearly without a doubt NOT NIGERIAN.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IN 2006, Dream was brought in by Tricky Stewart, of Redzone, to write with several artists the company was working with such as, Atlantic artist, Bayje, Capitol artists Dear Jane and J. Holiday and Interscope artists Brit and Alex. All of such are due to release in 2007.

To kick off the new year, Dream started 2007 with a bang. With the help of Tricky, "Umbrella" was created and was shopped to several labels for several artists. From Britney Spears at Jive, to Mary J and Akon, but it was Karen Kwak of Universal Music that got the record into the hands of LA Reid and the rest is history. Dream knew right off that Rihanna would be the best artist out of all those incontention for the record. Island Def Jam flew Dream and Tricky to LA to record with Rihanna and also while there they wrote "Breakin Dishes".

http://artists.letssingit.com/the-dream-3kwn7/biography
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by lucabrasi(m): 6:12pm On Jul 17, 2008
javalove:

, e ma rundown ni!!!!
grin grin grin grin ol boy,lean back small o grin
@topic
didnt know taio cruz is our won o,thats really awesome
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by youngdigi(m): 6:17pm On Jul 17, 2008
mrjuwon:

How does this make sense. The song was written by The Dream who is clearly without a doubt NOT NIGERIAN.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IN 2006, Dream was brought in by Tricky Stewart, of Redzone, to write with several artists the company was working with such as, Atlantic artist, Bayje, Capitol artists Dear Jane and J. Holiday and Interscope artists Brit and Alex. All of such are due to release in 2007.

To kick off the new year, Dream started 2007 with a bang. With the help of Tricky, "Umbrella" was created and was shopped to several labels for several artists. From Britney Spears at Jive, to Mary J and Akon, but it was Karen Kwak of Universal Music that got the record into the hands of LA Reid and the rest is history. Dream knew right off that Rihanna would be the best artist out of all those incontention for the record. Island Def Jam flew Dream and Tricky to LA to record with Rihanna and also while there they wrote "Breakin Dishes".

http://artists.letssingit.com/the-dream-3kwn7/biography

end of story, i was just about posting the same thing.

threadstarter should be banned for such false information :smh:
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by rockyfela(m): 7:27pm On Jul 17, 2008
http://buzzworthy.mtv.com/2007/10/26/umbrella-songwriters-livin-the-dream/,
http://www.defjam.com/site/artist_news.php?artist_id=586&news_id=104006

Those 2 links further show that the dream wrote umbrella, nd d song was meant for mary J ionno where some peeps bring their news 4rm abeg.
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by alexJodeci: 12:20pm On Jul 18, 2008
hey guy Rockyfela is 500% right,

it was written by Terius Youngdell Nash known as THE DREAM, and he also wrote Usher new song "Moving Mountains" and also co-wite ciara song "High Price" and christopher stewart, Kirk Harell and lastly Jay Z.
THE DREAM was Born in North Carolina and raised in Bankhead, Atlanta by his grandfather.
As for his stage name, Nash picked up "The-Dream" from his uncle as early as the age of 10, when he told Nash that he needed for him to be "the dream now" and "to have goals for higher things".He was neva a Nigerian,he cudnt be because he's not even gud enuff to be one.

Is time for we Nigerians to learn to hold onto what is ours cuz we got the talent and not other peoples work.
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by Imehnathan(m): 4:41pm On Jul 08, 2009
I support u guy we have talents jooo and dem suppose dey ban some pple for some kind postings, Nairaland don 2 full of rumour carriers.Imagine the quote the poster gave us and he added "and the rest is history".long bullshit.
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by tboy1(m): 5:11pm On Jul 08, 2009
Still cant believe the song was written in 12mins . . . now thats talent
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by frijos(m): 5:21pm On Jul 08, 2009
tboy1:

Still cant believe the song was written in 12mins . . . now thats talent

All normal songs that's gon' be a hit don't take too long to scribble down. Especially when u right from personal experience it just keeps flowing out. Once u get a tune and an idea of what u want to write about and u ain't got no distractors around u can write a perfect hit song in 12 mins or less. wink
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by tboy1(m): 5:22pm On Jul 08, 2009
frijos:

All normal songs that's gon' be a hit don't take too long to scribble down. Especially when u right from personal experience it just keeps flowing out. Once u get a tune and an idea of what u want to write about and u ain't got no distractors around u can write a perfect hit song in 12 mins or less. wink
True.
Good example is tupac's all eyes on me album
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by frijos(m): 5:47pm On Jul 08, 2009
another example is the makavelli (theory of number 7) done in 7 days!
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by dipo2much(m): 8:14pm On Jul 08, 2009
I Adewale Ibrahim also wrote Swagger Like Us. I sold the song to T.I
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by sley4life(m): 5:45am On Jul 10, 2009
So whats the summary? The song wasnt written by a nigerian?
Re: Rihanna's 'umbrella' Song Was Written By A Nigerian? by frijos(m): 12:32pm On Jul 10, 2009
@lp, yes and that's the summary of the summary of a summary cheesy

Music: Shaydee>>>o Poju / Naira Marley Ft Zlatan _-_am I A Yahoo Boy (simi Diss)(official Video) / Terry G --- Sangalow Part 2 Video....!