Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,728 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals (9881 Views)

My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA / Fire At Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) / Qatar Airways Crashlands At MMIA IN Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by pappilo(m): 9:08am On May 03, 2013
I have just come through MMIA and there are scammers openly operating in the arrivals terminal of the airport without fear or worry.

As I walked out, a guy approached me and offered to change some money for me. We agreed on a price and then he asked that we go to a secluded area. I was already wary of him as I am suspicious of every Nigerian and this request only made my suspicions stronger.

I went with him and he gave me the equivalent of my foreign currency to count. I still had my foreign money with me. I counted the equivalent he gave me and it was N1000 short. I told him this and he took the money back from me and started to count. I didnt count with him cause I knew I was going to count it all over again. He finished counting and gave me back the bundle and said it was truly one note short and he gave me N1000 to add to the bundle that was now back with me. The first thing I noticed was that the bundle felt much lighter than earlier, probably about N20,000 lighter. Anyway as I began to count the bundle again, an accomplice of his made some noises as if to say they were being raided and the barstard grabbed his money from me and walked away. I walked away to and sat in the arrivals terminal waiting to be picked up and right before my eyes, this same barstard successfully scammed another recently arrived passenger. I also saw another syndicate scam a woman passenger. This woman was hell bent on not taking her eyes of the counting but they eventually succeeded by distracting her with a phone call.

How is this allowed to go on unchecked right in the terminal of Nigeria's premier international airport. I find it hard to believe that the authorities dont know this is going on. Why are they not fighting it, why?

1 Like

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by Nobody: 10:10am On May 03, 2013
Did you report this before you left?

On a serious note, why didn't you go to the certified bureau de change, most times they give a higher rate and you don't have to worry about being scammed

11 Likes

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by Nobody: 11:43am On May 03, 2013
I have been scammed d same way @ Allen. I couldnt believe it cos I consider myself street smart but these f**kers are terrible.
Their days are numbered.

2 Likes

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by devour129: 12:14pm On May 03, 2013
pappilo: I have just come through MMIA and there are scammers openly operating in the arrivals terminal of the airport without fear or worry.

As I walked out, a guy approached me and offered to change some money for me. We agreed on a price and then he asked that we go to a secluded area. I was already wary of him as I am suspicious of every Nigerian and this request only made my suspicions stronger.

I went with him and he gave me the equivalent of my foreign currency to count. I still had my foreign money with me. I counted the equivalent he gave me and it was N1000 short. I told him this and he took the money back from me and started to count. I didnt count with him cause I knew I was going to count it all over again. He finished counting and gave me back the bundle and said it was truly one note short and he gave me N1000 to add to the bundle that was now back with me. The first thing I noticed was that the bundle felt much lighter than earlier, probably about N20,000 lighter. Anyway as I began to count the bundle again, an accomplice of his made some noises as if to say they were being raided and the barstard grabbed his money from me and walked away. I walked away to and sat in the arrivals terminal waiting to be picked up and right before my eyes, this same barstard successfully scammed another recently arrived passenger. I also saw another syndicate scam a woman passenger. This woman was hell bent on not taking her eyes of the counting but they eventually succeeded by distracting her with a phone call.

How is this allowed to go on unchecked right in the terminal of Nigeria's premier international airport. I find it hard to believe that the authorities dont know this is going on. Why are they not fighting it, why?
did you try helping the woman or raising alarm ?

1 Like

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by mallorca(m): 12:17pm On May 03, 2013
Nigeria is very strange country,
where everything seems to run upside down

1 Like

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by otokx(m): 12:23pm On May 03, 2013
Welcome back home to the reality of the situation, but why could you not wait to get home into the hands of friends and family before changing money.
Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by yuzedo: 12:23pm On May 03, 2013
pappilo: I was already wary of him as I am suspicious of every Nigerian and this request only made my suspicions stronger.
So because you wanted to change 500 Zimbabwean dollars, [size=18pt]ALL[/size] Nigerians are now bad people, eh?!?! angry angry angry

13 Likes

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by puskin: 12:25pm On May 03, 2013
Rule No. 1 of changing currency:

Never ever go without a friend to change your currency.
I count and my friend also counts to certify that I counted correctly.

@least, there is a slim chance both of you can be distracted during the transaction.

Rule No. 2:

Read No.1 and go with 2friends this time. grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by Nobody: 12:31pm On May 03, 2013
puskin: Rule No. 1 of changing currency:

@least, there is a slim chance both of you can be distracted during the transaction.

Its not about being distracted...it is vodoo magic used to dupe unsuspecting people. The jazz is usually on that 1000 naira note added to the money.
Rule No. 2:

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by Salmoneus(m): 12:33pm On May 03, 2013
pappilo:

I walked away to and sat in the arrivals terminal waiting to be picked up and right before my eyes, this same barstard successfully scammed another recently arrived passenger. I also saw another syndicate scam a woman passenger. This woman was hell bent on not taking her eyes of the counting but they eventually succeeded by distracting her with a phone call.

See that is the problem right there, why didn't you raise an alarm when you saw him duping someone else? if we all do our part in little ways like these, Nigeria would be better...

11 Likes

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by kaydee(m): 12:49pm On May 03, 2013
That trick is so old.You be JJC or in modern term "A learner".
Your Money is in that handkerchief he held while counting the money.

2 Likes

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by bizmahn: 1:15pm On May 03, 2013
security operatives don't work in isolation. they work with tip off from individuals like you. u flawed terribly by not raising alarm to help those innocent victims and by not reporting same to the authorities. this attitude is the very reason why our system remains as it is so why do u complain. those same chaps are on that exact same spot right now ripping off people on daily bases without hassles.

1 Like

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by RickyRoss1(m): 1:19pm On May 03, 2013
There r things u don't do at MMIA and other airports. Don't change money with those rascals, there are many bureau de change at the airport, go there and change your money even if their exchange rate may not be what you want. In most cases it is greed that causes some of these things...

In any country I travel to, whether Africa or Asia, I must change my money at official places. Patronizing criminals has alot of consequences.

The worst part of the story is you refused to raise an alarm. You are happy to watch your fellow Nigerians being duped by scammers and all you could do is run to nairaland? The airport is safe, there are armed policemen everywhere, you should have raised an alarm so they can arrest those criminals.

4 Likes

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by eastOFwest(m): 1:22pm On May 03, 2013

Rule No. 2:

Your are very correct.

In my own case I wanted to change about £4k when I visited PH about 10yrs ago. Friend of mine took me to a guy who changes money and owned a shop in the lobby of Presidential Hotel. We agreed on a price and fixed an appointment to meet the following day at my bank.

At the bank the next day, he didn't make the appointment. We called and he said something came up but he'll send his assistant, whom we saw the previous day. Eventually she turn up with the money which was supposed to be about =N= 1m, but the money was in mangy 10 naira notes. Can you believe that?! The money was taken to the back and two people started counting with machines. The byatch of an assistant started fidgeting and complaining that it was taking too long, no one was in the shop, taxi bill was running, the money was correct etc. I was almost tempted to give her the £4k, but my friend told my to ignore her.

The money turned out to be roughly =N=500k! The silly byatch then feigned surprise and said she forgot another bag in the office. While she went off to bring the remainder that she "forgot" my guy started making arrangements to arrest her. Anyway, I objected to that and just gave her a stern warning when she came back. I came to Nigeria for a happy event and i didn't want anything to spoil the mood.

3 Likes

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by Kidman03(m): 1:23pm On May 03, 2013
yuzedo:
So because you wanted to change 500 Zimbabwean dollars, [size=18pt]ALL[/size] Nigerians are now bad people, eh?!?! angry angry angry

My brother, no mind the buffon. If you like be suspicious of your own skin. I bet ur suspicious of the air you're breathing on Nigerian soil.
Make we hear word abeg.

1 Like

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by 1009ja: 1:24pm On May 03, 2013
You are an enabler. you know he is fake, why do business with him.
There are several licensed exchange counters at the airport. Better till
wire your money ifficially before you arrive Lagos. Why take the chance and get robbed
or even worse still get physically hurt.
Just like the customs at the airport, if you stop giving them bribes or something for dinner
as they would skillfully say, they will stop harrassing travelers.
Lets clean MMIA one step at a time.

7 Likes

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by Nobody: 1:34pm On May 03, 2013
they kept on scamming and scamming inocent people and you sat somewhere watching them and did nothing, you too contributes to Nigeria's bad image. Why can't you systematically report them before coming here to express your anger. you are a bad Nigerian too.
Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by KokoBeware: 1:57pm On May 03, 2013
100%9ja:
You are an enabler. you know he is fake, why do business with him.
There are several licensed exchange counters at the airport. Better till
wire your money ifficially before you arrive Lagos. Why take the chance and get robbed
or even worse still get physically hurt.
Just like the customs at the airport, if you stop giving them bribes or something for dinner
as they would skillfully say, they will stop harrassing travelers.
Lets clean MMIA one step at a time.

Exactly I wonder why people still use this people... The only reason you should use them is if you are changing small "change" even if you don't want to use the official beaurer de change.... Use your ATM card and withdraw or transfer the money if you'd don't have an account in the country you are coming from...
Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by causewahala: 2:16pm On May 03, 2013
Why would you want to change your hard earned currency with the 1st urchin that approach you? Is it because their rate is better? Whatever happened to established bureau de change?

Last time I travelled, one approached me, I simply paused took a long look at him and he got the message. Even here in PH, I avoid these so-called abokis like a plague, won't cost nothing to drive into presidential hotel and change my money in peace!
Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by Rastamann: 2:41pm On May 03, 2013
Nigeria is a lawless country and that is why we are the happiest people on earth.
Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by obailala(m): 2:49pm On May 03, 2013
pappilo: I have just come through MMIA and there are scammers openly operating in the arrivals terminal of the airport without fear or worry.

Am I the only one who feels this isn't a big deal and infact a false alarm? undecided
Yes we know there may be criminals hanging around our airports but when I saw the words 'SCAMMERS' and 'FRAUD,' I thought I was going to read something interesting.

Why would anyone in his/her right senses not count the money given to them?
Ok, let's assume N1000 out of a huge sum was short, couldn't that have been a honest error that could be committed by anyone? Do you honestly think that a REAL scammer would want to take ONLY N1000 from the huge amount?

If they had given you fake currency or maybe INSISTED on you handing over your foreign currency first, then maybe I would have been inclined to believe that they had something sinister in mind. However, with your story, there isn't a single evidence YET to prove that this guy you met is a fraudster.

3 Likes

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by 360command: 3:13pm On May 03, 2013
this happens too in Bangkok. I believe it happens everywhere. the deal is go to a confirmed bureau de change in the airport. or just change the note that can take you home and when you reach home, call out your squad(brothers) so as you can enter the streets to change money, but by doing this BEWARE OF 9JA POLICE.
Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by harryboyng(m): 4:05pm On May 03, 2013
isha.salam:
I have been scammed d same way @ Allen. I couldnt believe it cos I consider myself street smart but these f**kers are terrible.
Their days are numbered.

Yea..same thing happened to me @ Allen..me sef dey street buh dey still got me..I couuldnt believe it..I got to the bank only to notice that the money was lighter..I knew I had been cheated buh u would not find dem @ deir usual spot..naija!!!!...
Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by harryboyng(m): 4:08pm On May 03, 2013
obailala:

Am I the only one who feels this isn't a big deal and infact a false alarm? undecided
Yes we know there may be criminals hanging around our airports but when I saw the words 'SCAMMERS' and 'FRAUD,' I thought I was going to read something interesting.

Why would anyone in his/her right senses not count the money given to them?
Ok, let's assume N1000 out of a huge sum was short, couldn't that have been a honest error that could be committed by anyone? Do you honestly think that a REAL scammer would want to take ONLY N1000 from the huge amount?

If they had given you fake currency or maybe INSISTED on you handing over your foreign currency first, then maybe I would have been inclined to believe that they had something sinister in mind. However, with your story, there isn't a single evidence YET to prove that this guy you met is a fraudster.

You sound very out-of-brain..even it was 1000 it was short of..do u knw hw many people they would hav done that to for a day and how much dey would make?!..
Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by Ilekokonit: 4:25pm On May 03, 2013
The fact that they noticed that you intended to recount it by not even looking at their second count messed up their game plan and made them realise their game was up.

For those of us who thinking we were street wise and could not be duped if we seriously focused on their second count, we realised to our chagrin when we got home that these guys were criminally trained.

Its not magic nor juju. Its a hand trick that was pulled on us whilst someone else distracted us whilst the other fellow was counting. What they do is to give you a better rate to win your trust and then give you less than calculated.

When you complain they will collect the money back and count it one by one placing each verbally counted note into your own hands but what you will not notice is that somewhere in the middle of their counting they just place a verbally counted note in your hands and within a "split second" pull it back into their own hand thus one note is verbally counted twice and this scam is repeated a few times by sleight of hand thus short changing you.

At least that is how I "figured out" that I was cheated of 5k outside Airport Hotel in 2007 but I only noticed when I got home.

2 Likes

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by kokoye(m): 4:40pm On May 03, 2013
Things are getting better
Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by Firefire(m): 4:54pm On May 03, 2013
Guys, it is very true, these fraudsters are real.
I had an encounter at Alade Market; I went to change some money. I met this guy who approaches me. We agreed the price and he took me to his shop frontage.
I told him, I heard you people here are thief and money disappear etc. He said “God punish him if he do something like that"
After I counted my naira, it is minus #1,000. He collected all money back from me and do the recount, I counted it again and he now handed over the balance #1k. I left, while holding tight the money in my pocket.
When I get to my office, I recounted the money; pronto #20k is OFF.
I went back to the shop believing am dealing with original person, was told they don’t know them.
I was determined to get back my money.
I stayed at that Alade market for more than 2hrs, I keep telling all people coming to do Fx, please go inside, this guys are THIEVES, please go inside and meet original people.
When the guys could not tolerate me again, they became annoyed, they confronted me; Oga watin happen now... why you dey spoil our market? I told them one of you just duped me. I must get my money today! Today!!, I have send signal to the Area Command…….
The police around the area approach me for solution, they ask how much will i pay them to help me get back my #20k, I said I will pay 2k (i.e. 10%), they said no 5k, I agreed. they went to call the Head of Bureau De Change, he gave me 15k from my 20k after many stories and talk. he told me to please come back 3 days later to testify because they will go and arrest the guys from Local Airport as they are not registered with them but the know them based on my description, so that he too can get back his 15k oooooo. I said no problem.
I gave police 2k to balance 3k when I get back my 5k. I did not return again!

Lesson Learnt: - I was greedy then (I had the option of getting my transaction done in my office, but I wanted higher rate).
So approach registered Bureau de change don't mind the rate, it's better than losing more.

If after reading this you still fall pray, I no go pity you.

3 Likes

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by biolabee(m): 5:05pm On May 03, 2013

Rule No. 2:

nice one!
Please note this also applies to airports around the world
Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by biolabee(m): 5:09pm On May 03, 2013
Ilekokonit: The fact that they noticed that you intended to recount it by not even looking at their second count messed up their game plan and made them realise their game was up.

For those of us who thinking we were street wise and could not be duped if we seriously focused on their second count, we realised to our chagrin when we got home that these guys were criminally trained.

Its not magic nor juju. Its a hand trick that was pulled on us whilst someone else distracted us whilst the other fellow was counting. What they do is to give you a better rate to win your trust and then give you less than calculated.

When you complain they will collect the money back and count it one by one placing each verbally counted note into your own hands but what you will not notice is that somewhere in the middle of their counting they just place a verbally counted note in your hands and within a "split second" pull it back into their own hand thus one note is verbally counted twice and this scam is repeated a few times by sleight of hand thus short changing you.

At least that is how I "figured out" that I was cheated of 5k outside Airport Hotel in 2007 but I only noticed when I got home.

Learnt something today.. so sleight-of-hand is real!
Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by biolabee(m): 5:10pm On May 03, 2013
Firefire: Guys, it is very true, these fraudsters are real.
I had an encounter at Alade Market; I went to change some money. I met this guy who approaches me. We agreed the price and he took me to his shop frontage.
I told him, I heard you people here are thief and money disappear etc. He said “God punish him if he do something like that"
After I counted my naira, it is minus #1,000. He collected all money back from me and do the recount, I counted it again and he now handed over the balance #1k. I left, while holding tight the money in my pocket.
When I get to my office, I recounted the money; pronto #20k is OFF.
I went back to the shop believing am dealing with original person, was told they don’t know them.
I was determined to get back my money.
I stayed at that Alade market for more than 2hrs, I keep telling all people coming to do Fx, please go inside, this guys are THIEVES, please go inside and meet original people.
When the guys could not tolerate me again, they became annoyed, they confronted me; Oga watin happen now... why you dey spoil our market? I told them one of you just duped me. I must get my money today! Today!!, I have send signal to the Area Command…….
The police around the area approach me for solution, they ask how much will i pay them to help me get back my #20k, I said I will pay 2k (i.e. 10%), they said no 5k, I agreed. they went to call the Head of Bureau De Change, he gave me 15k from my 20k after many stories and talk. he told me to please come back 3 days later to testify because they will go and arrest the guys from Local Airport as they are not registered with them but the know them based on my description, so that he too can get back his 15k oooooo. I said no problem.
I gave police 2k to balance 3k when I get back my 5k. I did not return again!

Lesson Learnt: - I was greedy then (I had the option of getting my transaction done in my office, but I wanted higher rate).
So approach registered Bureau de change don't mind the rate, it's better than losing more.

If after reading this you still fall pray, I no go pity you.

Bros grin you use fire-for-fire for them

Carry GOoooo

I dedicate this to you courtsey imperiouxx

Re: Scammers / Fraud At MMIA Arrivals by micfoley: 5:29pm On May 03, 2013
Pls let's not be 2 hard on the @op 4 not raising alarm when he saw dis happening to anoda person. I believe that by raising this issue on this forum he has alerted many of us to this scam. Those who belong to the relevant security agencies can take it frm here.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fashola: Third Mainland Bridge Will Be Totally Reopened This Weekend / Does Tecno, Infinix, Phones Work In The USA? / How Good Is Arik Airline?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.