Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,456 members, 7,836,809 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! (1916 Views)

OPEN AND SEE HOW POPULAR NAIRALAND ATHIESTS ACCEPT JESUS / ALL ATHIESTS Are GUILTY Of This / To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 10:31am On May 04, 2013
I'm an atheist and I call myself a humanist (secular humanist). I dont like calling myself a skeptic or unbeliever or rationalist because they all sound like negative people despite the contrary meaning. What do you call yourself? A doubter? A rationalist? A realist? A non-theist? Weak atheist? Irreligious? Spritiual but not religious? Evolutionist?

Furthermore, what should we do? I want to meet other atheists in Nigeria. I met many at the humanist convention, and a hunger for more has been aroused in me. I see that humanist convention as a good starting point, I had new ideas and learnt somethings from other humanists.

What do you think? A Nairaland atheist group on fbook? A bb group? A meeting in one of our houses?

I feel something big coming up!
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 10:46am On May 04, 2013
You wan carry stranger go ya house? lipsrsealed

Okay o!
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 10:48am On May 04, 2013
striktlymi: You wan carry stranger go ya house? lipsrsealed

Okay o!

SMH.....nice try to derail. I was asking for ideas. Try this again and you will be reported and probably banned. You are not an atheist...
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 10:54am On May 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

SMH.....nice try to derail. I was asking for ideas. Try this again and you will be reported and probably banned. You are not an atheist...

Hmmmm....I hear you!
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 11:26am On May 04, 2013
Bb group won't be bad.. The facebook groups I'm a part of are quite dull...

Meeting at people's houses? Hmm... That's a step too far... Unless there's someone willing to shoulder the security challenges amongst other implications...

I still don't know what to call myself. I hate tags.
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Blacklight: 11:39am On May 04, 2013
I mostly term myself irreligious in some variant or the other. Because that is what people can more readily breakdown. But, personally, I like to consider myself a humanist.

I imagine that any coming together has to be under some humanistic name and agenda. Humanistic agenda because, that should get folks thinking - and hopefully lead to a reconsideration of the prevalent view that irreligious people perforce are immoral and inhuman even sub-human.

l also think it is important to start small -- through some form of non-physical correspondence, build enthusiasm and a core group and move on quickly.
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by cyrexx: 11:40am On May 04, 2013
I have no need to label myself. I am human and a secular human. Period. The natural world is super enough for me, I don't need any religious supernatural mumbo jumbo. Even as tolerant as my wife is toward my atheism, she gets uncomfortable when I ask her some question that challenges her belief. The same goes for some of my religious friends and I would never want to alienate them. So I have learnt to be diplomatic and avoid talks about religion unless specifically asked. In a sense, I hate when we humans are labelled and divided as Christians, Muslims, Atheists etc etc.

I joined a Nigerian Atheists Facebook group because I was so "lonely" as a new atheist, I thought nobody will understand my stance. Honestly I believed I was the only atheist in my city. Fortunately, I made some atheist friends from the group.

I realised that there are packets of atheists here and there everywhere even in the most religious parts of Nigeria. The first step is to come out of our closets and the Humanist group may help do that.

So if you ask for my ideas, I would say the first and most important step to take is to encourage Nigerian atheists to meet one another and realise they are not "alone".

1 Like

Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 12:00pm On May 04, 2013
Go knocking on doors to win souls
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 12:11pm On May 04, 2013
Segeggs: Go knocking on doors to win souls
We may consider that, but we would win brains not souls.. Much better for the survival of humanity...

2 Likes

Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 12:20pm On May 04, 2013
musKeeto:
We may consider that, but we would win brains not souls.. Much better for the survival of humanity...

Epic reply, sir.

musKeeto: Bb group won't be bad.. The facebook groups I'm a part of are quite dull...

Meeting at people's houses? Hmm... That's a step too far... Unless there's someone willing to shoulder the security challenges amongst other implications...

I love the idea of a bb group as well...........

The house idea is really bad.

I will bb u later on some ideas
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 12:24pm On May 04, 2013
cyrexx: I have no need to label myself. I am human and a secular human. Period. The natural world is super enough for me, I don't need any religious supernatural mumbo jumbo. Even as tolerant as my wife is toward my atheism, she gets uncomfortable when I ask her some question that challenges her belief. The same goes for some of my religious friends and I would never want to alienate them. So I have learnt to be diplomatic and avoid talks about religion unless specifically asked. In a sense, I hate when we humans are labelled and divided as Christians, Muslims, Atheists etc etc.

I joined a Nigerian Atheists Facebook group because I was so "lonely" as a new atheist, I thought nobody will understand my stance. Honestly I believed I was the only atheist in my city. Fortunately, I made some atheist friends from the group.

I realised that there are packets of atheists here and there everywhere even in the most religious parts of Nigeria. The first step is to come out of our closets and the Humanist group may help do that.

So if you ask for my ideas, I would say the first and most important step to take is to encourage Nigerian atheists to meet one another and realise they are not "alone".

Cyrexx, a man i can always rely on!

I think we should have a nairaland facebook group!

Anyways, i dont know how, u manage with a religious wife. You are a better man than I am.

Please lets meet up if you are in lagos
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 12:26pm On May 04, 2013
Blacklight: I mostly term myself irreligious in some variant or the other. Because that is what people can more readily breakdown. But, personally, I like to consider myself a humanist.

I imagine that any coming together has to be under some humanistic name and agenda. Humanistic agenda because, that should get folks thinking - and hopefully lead to a reconsideration of the prevalent view that irreligious people perforce are immoral and inhuman even sub-human.

l also think it is important to start small -- through some form of non-physical correspondence, build enthusiasm and a core group and move on quickly.

I couldnt agree more with you!

Are you on any of the facebook groups?
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by ijawkid(m): 12:33pm On May 04, 2013
musKeeto: Bb group won't be bad.. The facebook groups I'm a part of are quite dull...

Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by cyrexx: 12:48pm On May 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

Cyrexx, a man i can always rely on!

I think we should have a nairaland facebook group!

Anyways, i dont know how, u manage with a religious wife. You are a better man than I am.

Please lets meet up if you are in lagos

The pleasure is mine, Sir Logic.

I reside in Ibadan, Oyo State.

When is the next Humanist Seminar taking place in Lagos. I will try to attend and meet you up there, ceteris paribus
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 1:32pm On May 04, 2013
cyrexx:
The pleasure is mine, Sir Logic.

I reside in Ibadan, Oyo State.

When is the next Humanist Seminar taking place in Lagos. I will try to attend and meet you up there, ceteris paribus

Ha! I am not one of the organisers ooo! But I will let you know if the Facebook guys decide something!

Ibadan is not far now....
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Blacklight: 2:14pm On May 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

I couldnt agree more with you!

Are you on any of the facebook groups?

Yes, I am. The Nigerian Humanist Movement.
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by ooman(m): 2:19pm On May 04, 2013
am never a skeptic, i dont doubt

Am an evolutionist
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by ooman(m): 2:27pm On May 04, 2013

Agnostic tongue
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 2:27pm On May 04, 2013
Ah the religion of the "irreligious". grin
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 2:39pm On May 04, 2013
Blacklight:

Yes, I am. The Nigerian Humanist Movement.

me too!
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 2:40pm On May 04, 2013
ooman: am never a skeptic, i dont doubt

Am an evolutionist

I hope you know that "evolutionists" carries a certain stigma especially from religious folks?
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by ooman(m): 2:44pm On May 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

I hope you know that "evolutionists" carries a certain stigma especially from religious folks?

who cares what the religious thinks that is who i am tongue
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 3:13pm On May 04, 2013
ooman:

who cares what the religious thinks that is who i am tongue

#boss cool

Are you based in Nigeria? You're from the North abi?
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 4:31pm On May 04, 2013
In a land where juju is real, trying to tell people there is no God is a waste of time. Well, if you must do,try knocking on a babalawo's door, he'll tell he exist.
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 4:50pm On May 04, 2013
Segeggs: In a land where juju is real, trying to tell people there is no God is a waste of time. Well, if you must do,try knocking on a babalawo's door, he'll tell he exist.

Have you ever knocked on a babalawo's door?
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 5:04pm On May 04, 2013
musKeeto:

Have you ever knocked on a babalawo's door?

Dont mind the guy....a christian using babalawo to try and scare atheists
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Qkeyxyz: 6:41pm On May 04, 2013
Abeg, you guys should meet in a house. I have a boko-haram friend, in need of some atheist-fellowship, i gonna to send to you... fully strapped. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 6:46pm On May 04, 2013
Qkeyxyz: Abeg, you guys should meet in a house. I have a boko-haram friend, in need of some atheist-fellowship, i gonna to send to you... fully strapped. grin grin grin

If you have nothing serious to say, just keep quiet.

It is not our fault that Jesoul and the christian fellowship have only superhero games to offer the christians as a group. Child's play
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 7:04pm On May 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

Dont mind the guy....a christian using babalawo to try and scare atheists
since logicboy is now in naija, i expect him to start seeing the evil works of satan .hahaha
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 04, 2013
Segeggs: since logicboy is now in naija, i expect him to start seeing the evil works of satan .hahaha

Satan is afraid to work in London?
Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by Nobody: 7:44pm On May 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

Satan is afraid to work in London?
he has it captured already.

1 Like

Re: Wazzap Athiests? What Label Do You Use And Other Questions! by cyrexx: 8:07pm On May 04, 2013
^^

Anton Lavey (an atheistic satanist) said and I quote:

[size=13pt]"Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years"[/size]

Without the fear of satan and hell, christianity and other abrahamic religions has no engine with which to run.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SERMON JOTTERS: The Silent Spiritual Killer / Question For Muslims. / Ben Carson Argued That Evolution Was Encouraged By The Adversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.