Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,030 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

Tackling Poverty In Nigeria With Agriculture- My Take - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tackling Poverty In Nigeria With Agriculture- My Take (1255 Views)

I'm Falling In Love With Agriculture / Agriculture, My Only Way Out / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tackling Poverty In Nigeria With Agriculture- My Take by gnykelly(m): 2:15pm On May 04, 2013
Poverty simply means lack of basic needs e.g. Food, shelter, clothing. Etc.
For better understanding of basic needs it is the lowest need on the ‘Hierarchy of need’ by ABRAHAM MASLOW which is called hierarchy of needs.
Most basic of these need is food, and if not available or affordable there will depravity in which the ripple effect can be observed in form of malnutrition, hunger and diseases
Solution to this problem is Agric which I am going to suggest solution to it intensively but not extensively.
Formula
Availability (abundance) = affordability
Affordability brings joy which in itself creates abundance e.g. when rice is available and is in excess the probability of price dropping is very high if this assertion is correct then let apply it to the Nigeria agricultural economy.
AGRICULTURE
FARMING
FISHERY
POULTRY
MEAT PRODUCTION
Lets project that by 2030 our population is going to increase to 250 million with a land mass of 923,768sq.km. of land
FARMING
OBBECTIVE; To produce abundance of food for the populace, at a very cheap price for all class of individual irrespective of tribe religion and earning power of the populace.
It is common sense in economics and business alike that price is a function of cost i.e.
If the amount of producing a pen is N6 and the intended profit is N4 therefore the market price is N10
Cost of production + profit = price
In modern world the major problem facing farmers is input
Input = cost
Inputs in farming are numerous e.g. Labour, Machinery, Pesticide, rodenticide, fertilizers, land and storage facilities
So, let deal in-depthly and practically with each input
LABOUR
With a population of 250 million in a land mass of 923,768sq.km, we can assume that labour is in abundance, but the best we can get of labour is through a factor called motivation which in itself can mean money and other necessity of life.
INPUT AND OUTPUT
THE GOVERNMENT & THE FARMER BUSINESS
If we do not lose focus of our objective of farming and for us to achieve it to an agreeable degree government need to look at the input and output of the farmer and how they can manipulate or help both the farmer to make maximum profit and food available and affordable to the populace.
FARMLAND AND THE PROFIT
Land can be measured in Area and not in depth crop yield can be quantified in area and not in depth of a land. If this assertion is true then policy should be geared toward choosing the type of seed that can be planted on a land available to a farmer so that he can make maximum profit from it within a calendar year.
Some crop like Tomatoes, Pepper, spinach grows within a short period of time say 5-6weeks that means if they are replanted they can produce the same quantity 8 times within a year with the same piece of land.
EXAMPLE; If a farmer has a plot of land say 60*120 feet which can produce 80kg in 6 weeks. That means that plot can generate Tomatoes of 80kg * 8times= 1600kg.let assume 1kg-N500 then that plot can generate N800,000 per annum for a single farmer
In essence seeds that can reach maturity in less period of time should be grown by farmers with little piece of land within a calendar year.
Let’s assume the opposite if that same plot of land is used to plant seed that can reach maturity in 7-8 months the productivity of that land will be underutilize and the flow of cash will be in short supply to the farmer thereby leading to boredom and poverty.
On the other hand farmers with a minimum of 250 hectares and above should be regarded as main farmer, should be planting seeds that matures 6 month and above due to the relativity of the size of their farm and production. And each geo-political zone should have nothing less than 30 of these farm and production in this zone should be mutually related in a cluster of local government. Such crop should range from Rice, Beans, Wheat, Sugarcane, Palm-oil, Rubber etc
SEED
OBJECTIVE; Seed used if food production should of the highest quality achievable in any part of the world, which will be provided at either free or at discounted price.
For Nigeria to produce highest quality seedlings and feed it to the farmers such production need a research facilities labour and technical knowhow of people that matters.
For Example let’s take Ogun State as a case study the state has a university of agriculture. The faculty of Agriculture should be provided with hectares of land and a research facility to produce large quantity of seeds for the state with the labour of student. The student should either be remunerated or discount their school fees or at best tuition free.
This can best guarantee a study research and production environment. This is mutually beneficial to all parties.
RODENTICIDE, PESTICIDE, & FERTILIZERS.
The annual ritual of importing of fertilizers where by middle men and political party chieftain hijack it and resell it to the poor farmer at exorbitant price have significant effect on the price of food stuff.
Example; a case of the price of rice that is imported from thousands of kilometers like India, Brazil, Thailand etc,, which is cheaper than beans of same quantity produce in the northern part of Nigeria.
Government should open factories that produce pesticide rodenticide, and fertilizers. In one state in each geo-political zone and the state chosen must be the most disadvantage of the group.
Production should be distributed to the ministry of Agric of each state for redistribution to local government and there from distributed through farm extension workers who have assessed farm in that area.
MACHINERY & EQUIPMENT
Farmers with small farmland should be given loan to buy farm implement like cutlass hoes and other basics. But machinery like tractors, Harvesters and large costly equipment could be bought by a local government thereby every farmer that will need it will be paying a very little insignificant amount for depreciation and maintenance.
Medium farmers (80-150 hectares’) who can afford it should be given long term loan that can last 10 years.
Probably large farms will be able to afford machineries or at best get a fair loan.
STORAGE FACILITIES
Probably large farms will be able to store their produce themselves.
Medium farmers, government can build silo or other storage facilities for farmers based on what the local government chose to produce.
For small farmer that produce mostly perishable goods should sell to food processing companies or directly to the market at a price dictated by government.
In essence, the aim of the write up is to mitigate cost of production so that the price of food stuff in the market can be reduced. I look forward to a day where the price of 50kg of rice will be N4000, and the rest.
Re: Tackling Poverty In Nigeria With Agriculture- My Take by gnykelly(m): 2:18pm On May 04, 2013
i have decided to paste this write up here so that we can rub mind and solve our country problem our way.or better still those who are in government who have no clues can have something here for themself
Re: Tackling Poverty In Nigeria With Agriculture- My Take by Thazard(m): 1:37pm On Oct 05, 2022
gnykelly:
i have decided to paste this write up here so that we can rub mind and solve our country problem our way.or better still those who are in government who have no clues can have something here for themself
Brilliant!

(1) (Reply)

Partners/investors Needed For 1 Hectare Of Cucumber & Watermelon / Cassava And Plantain Which One Is Profitable And Easy To Set Up / Catfish Feeding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.