Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures (214536 Views)

Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics) / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* / Approximately How Much Would Start Plantain Plantation Of 1hectare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 5:17pm On Nov 26, 2014
Hello everyone,
Am an Agribusiness Consultant based in Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.
My company is Natural Nutrient Limited.

LET'S DISCUSSED EVERYTHING ABOUT SETTING UP A PLANTAIN FARM.
What is a Plantain?
Plantains are a member of the banana family. They are a starchy, low in sugar variety that is cooked before serving as it is unsuitable raw.

Unlike starting other tree farms, starting a plantain farm and growing plantain are easier and less complicated.
Although growing plantain still requires ones attention, the level of skill required is not as intensive as other trees.
Here are a few guidelines in growing plantain and starting a plantain farm.

Step 1.
LAND PROCUREMENT
The first thing to consider in starting a plantain farm is looking for the right climate. Plantain cannot thrive in an environment that is too hot or too cold. The proposed land/soil for your plantain farm must be a well drain land that is rich and naturally fertilized but If such is not available, you can create compost and add chicken manure to your existing land.

Now that you have the land what next?

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by TAEpiphany: 5:26pm On Nov 26, 2014
Nice....Jasper has set the pace....please include your consultation charges in the write up as well, transparency goes a long way, that way you don't have to address a bazzillion emails from individuals.... Those plantain trees look very healthy...nice job.

10 Likes

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 5:35pm On Nov 26, 2014
TAEpiphany:
Nice....Jasper has set the pace....please include your consultation charges in the write up as well, transparency goes a long way, that way you don't have to address a bazzillion emails from individuals.... Those plantain trees look very healthy...nice job.
Fortunately we don't charge a dime for consultation if we are setting up for you. We are trying to propagate our lovely suckers so we can buy back suckers from our networks of farm as the demand for this type of suckers is getting higher everyday.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by TAEpiphany: 5:41pm On Nov 26, 2014
Nice to hear....how about management fees if you are managing the farm? I would love to see that included.....

world1:

Fortunately we don't charge a dime for consultation if we are setting up for you. We are trying to propagate our lovely suckers so we can buy back suckers from our networks of farm as the demand for this type of suckers is getting higher everyday.

5 Likes

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 5:49pm On Nov 26, 2014
Step 2. LAND CLEARING
The next thing after land procurement is land clearing:
Land clearing is the process of removing trees, stumps, brush, stones and other obstacles from an area as required to increase the size of the crop producing land base of an existing farm or to provide land for a new farm operation.
You can do manual or mechanized land clearing depending on the size of the proposed plantain farm

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by Pavore9: 5:51pm On Nov 26, 2014
I just wish Kenyans know what plantain is am tired of buying a kilo of imported plantain for N350 but banana is very common and cheaper than sweets!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 5:55pm On Nov 26, 2014
TAEpiphany:

Nice to hear....how about management fees if you are managing the farm? I would love to see that included.....

Farm management comes after you might have successful set up your planting farm. Moreover we are trying to use this thread as a medium to teach everyone all they will need to know about plantain farm setup and how to do it themselves

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 5:58pm On Nov 26, 2014
Pavore9:
I just wish Kenyans know what plantain is am tired of buying a kilo of imported plantain for N350 but banana is very common and cheaper than sweets!
Can't you set up a small demonstrative farm over there? And make money teaching them I will be glad to give you some free suckers.

7 Likes

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by jasper7(m): 6:05pm On Nov 26, 2014
Nice one boss, I plan on setting up maybe one or 2 hectares of plantain plantation. We'll discuss further on that later

1 Like

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by Pavore9: 6:09pm On Nov 26, 2014
world1:

Can't you set up a small demonstrative farm over there?And make money teaching them I will be glad to give you some free suckers.
They are not into it & eaten mostly by foreigners & gotten from Uganda.

1 Like

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 6:20pm On Nov 26, 2014
Step 3
LAND PREPARATION:
When establishing a new plantain farm, certain actions need to be implemented to ensure the long term success of the plantation. One of these actions involve the initial land preparation which should be done prior to transplanting of the plant material suckers.

The purpose of land preparation is to provide the necessary soil conditions which will enhance the successful establishment of the young suckers.
Considering the nature of plantain one can not "save" on this operation and hope for long term of the plantation.

The aim is to enable the planter to plan and structure the implementation process in advance, ensuring the successful establishment of the plantain farm. Planning forms part of the initial preparation and will help to limiting unnecessary stoppages during the implementation phase.

Critical factors to consider during this planning exercise are summarised as follows:

- Availability and quality of irrigation water;
- Field selection;
- Mechanical actions to be implemented;
- Chemical needs for pre-plant soil improvement;
- Tools and equipment needed for plantain cultivation;
- Labour needs;
- Irrigation design and installation;
- Leaching schedule;
- Hole preparation;
- Financial requirements and
- Time schedule.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by eunisam: 7:09pm On Nov 26, 2014
continue.these is fp material

3 Likes

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 7:10pm On Nov 26, 2014
Step 4
PLANTAIN SUCKER PROCUREMENT.
Plantains are vegetatively propagated, most often from suckers (shoots that grow from a bud at the base of the plant) or from corms (underground bulbs known as rhizomes). The use of whole corms is very laborious so it is more common to grow from small pieces of corm.
Please note: There are three different types of plantain suckers which are produced by the mother plant namely; maidenheads, sword suckers and water suckers.
Maidenheads have a large pseudostem which does not produce fruit.

Sword suckers have a narrow base, short pseudostem and narrow, blade-like leaves. They produce healthy, fruitful pseudostems when they mature Water suckers have short pseudostems and broad leaves.

Water suckers are not strongly attached to the rhizome and generally produce weaker plants and less fruit. Maidenheads and large sword suckers are preferred over water suckers.

You need to buy your suckers from reputable farm. There is no stable price for suckers, you can get conventional sucker between N50-N100 and hybrid between N120-N200 depending on your source.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 8:09pm On Nov 26, 2014
Step 5
PLANTING
If you are planting for fruit production it should be spaced about 8 to 10 feet.

Please note weed and grass competition should be eliminated prior to planting.

Mulching is useful to prevent weed regrowth, but turf grass may need to be controlled by hoeing or with herbicides.

Irrigation should be applied periodically to thoroughly wet the soil. Avoid standing water, as plantains do not tolerate overly wet conditions

1 Like

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 8:24pm On Nov 26, 2014
OK
jasper7:
Nice one boss, I plan on setting up maybe one or 2 hectares of plantain plantation. We'll discuss further on that later
Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by 1stUnique(m): 9:12pm On Nov 26, 2014
nice one world1. following the thread with keen interest...

We are now having front page materials in our Agriculture thread this days..

I sight u o jasper7.. greeting to u sir

4 Likes

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by hotmas911(m): 9:22pm On Nov 26, 2014
@world1, Great job!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 9:34pm On Nov 26, 2014
1stUnique:

Thanks so much
By the grace of God we will not make only the front page but we will become a force to reckoned with in our various endeavors.

8 Likes

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 9:37pm On Nov 26, 2014
hotmas911:
@world1, Great job!
Good evening chief.
The one and only chairman of all online/ offline land sellers.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by hotmas911(m): 9:44pm On Nov 26, 2014
world1:

Good evening chief.
The one and only nairaland chairman of land sellers.
A beg give me land ooooooo
The Prof! You are just too brilliant that not giving you land will be a cardinal sin! For this thread i promise you 10 acres for 2 years free use. Infact you can transfer this gift to anyone you like. Yes, 10 acres for 2 years free of charge.

9 Likes

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 9:56pm On Nov 26, 2014
Step 6 A&B
ORGANIC & IN-ORGANIC FERTILIZER APPLICATION.
This is the next step after planting
Manuring plantains with a combination of poultry manure, household waste and woodash improved plantain growth, yield and establishment and greatly reduced infestation by borer weevils and nematodes.

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 9:57pm On Nov 26, 2014
hotmas911:
The Prof! You are just too brilliant that not giving you land will be a cardinal sin! For this thread i promise you 10 acres for 2 years free use. Infact you can transfer this gift to anyone you like. Yes, 10 acres for 2 years free of charge.
You are to much.
I will give it out to intending farmers I will also train them free of charge. I fact I will open a thread for this. Thanks so much
All intending farmers in Oyo,Osun and Kwara where are you I have free land, seeds and epertise for you.

11 Likes

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 10:04pm On Nov 26, 2014
The organic manures also maintained soil acidity, regulated soil temperature and conserved soil moisture.

3 Likes

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by hotmas911(m): 10:06pm On Nov 26, 2014
world1:

You are to much.
I will give it out to intending farmers I will also train them free of charge. I fact I will open a thread for this. Thanks so much
All intending farmers in Oyo,Osun and Kwara where are you I have free land, seeds and epertise for you.
Yeah! Let's do this. Where are the intending farmers? Free land, free seed and free consultation. Someone is about to break free!
@World1pls dont forget the thread.

6 Likes

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by 1stUnique(m): 10:18pm On Nov 26, 2014
hotmas911:

wao. nice one bro.....

congrat world 1

1 Like

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by 1stUnique(m): 10:20pm On Nov 26, 2014
world1:

You are to much.

Bro I dey here oooo

1 Like

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 10:26pm On Nov 26, 2014
I advise that you water and fertilize Plantain at the same time using any type of balanced fertilizer to help grow Plantain. Plantain are heavy feeders so i suggest that you fertilize very lightly each time that you water with the exception being that you do not fertilize if you are not seeing active growth.( Balanced fertilizer means - a fertilizer that has three numbers on the label like NPK.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by 1stUnique(m): 10:35pm On Nov 26, 2014
I dey feel this thread no b small.

3 Likes

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 10:37pm On Nov 26, 2014
1stUnique:

Bro I dey here oooo
No problem
I really mean it if you are ready

2 Likes

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by jasper7(m): 10:39pm On Nov 26, 2014
1stUnique:

Oga boss sir. We trying our best. Way go soon come out

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by world1(m): 10:45pm On Nov 26, 2014
jasper7:

Oga boss sir. We trying our best. Way go soon come out
Sure.
We are practical farmers.
No noise no hype
Doing what we love and making money.

5 Likes

Re: Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures by 1stUnique(m): 10:48pm On Nov 26, 2014
world1:

No problem
I really mean it if you are ready

pls give me ur email or whatsap number. I get some personal tinz to talk with u.?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Updated Price Of Grains And Location. / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* / Starting An Oil Palm Plantation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.