Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,750 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Why Do Health Worker Prescribe Coca Cola To Patients? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Health Worker Prescribe Coca Cola To Patients? (2252 Views)

Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) / Do Health Practitioners Value Money More Than Life Now? / Woman Dies From Drinking Too Much Coca Cola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Health Worker Prescribe Coca Cola To Patients? by bilms(m): 6:52pm On May 05, 2013
I am posting this topic here because it always happens at the hospital. When ever someone is sick and he or she goes to the hospital to complain,after examination and the doctor or nurse prescribe injection or drug to be taken by the patient, they ask if the patient has eaten. If the patient said no, they would then ask he or she to take coca cola to enable him take the prescribe treatement. Why coca cola? I remember sometime in 2001, i was asked to take coke,but i said no,i would prefer 7up or fanta,but the nurse said,only coca cola can serve the purpose. Again, Why coke? Is there any benefit in coca cola ahead of other drinks or are the health worker just giving coke free advert? To the house,share your experience and let the health workers educate us.
Re: Why Do Health Worker Prescribe Coca Cola To Patients? by ziga: 7:24pm On May 05, 2013
There is no specific reason for coke.

Being sick puts you at risk for hypoglycemia and If you haven't eaten, you risk is even greater.

It doesn't matter what you drink. As long as it has glucose in it. Orange juice, fanta, coke, tea. E no matter.

Whoever insisted on coke is either a quack or has no idea about what he/she is practicing.

Lots of quacks out there my brother.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Health Worker Prescribe Coca Cola To Patients? by bilms(m): 7:32pm On May 05, 2013
Hum, thanks for the info
Re: Why Do Health Worker Prescribe Coca Cola To Patients? by Nobody: 8:01pm On May 05, 2013
because coke is household name for soft drink. any health workers insisted in coke is a robot. any glucose containing drink would do.
Re: Why Do Health Worker Prescribe Coca Cola To Patients? by bilms(m): 7:04am On May 06, 2013
Lol
Re: Why Do Health Worker Prescribe Coca Cola To Patients? by JoannaSedley(f): 11:47am On May 06, 2013
I insist on coke because the amount of sugar inside is known, well according to the manufacturer it is 8 cubes. No news about the others.

At least you know what you are advicing your patient to take.
Re: Why Do Health Worker Prescribe Coca Cola To Patients? by dominique(f): 1:21pm On May 06, 2013
But without patient's history known, is it right to recommend coke? It was this negligence that killed my friend elevern years ago. The doctors administered a glucose drip to someone who was borderline diabetic. She slumped into a coma and never woke up. A simple blood sugar test would have made a huge difference. Which energy giving foods/drinks should the patient take inplace of soft drinks?
Re: Why Do Health Worker Prescribe Coca Cola To Patients? by ziga: 2:08pm On May 06, 2013
dominique: But without patient's history known, is it right to recommend coke? It was this negligence that killed my friend elevern years ago. The doctors administered a glucose drip to someone who was borderline diabetic. She slumped into a coma and never woke up. A simple blood sugar test would have made a huge difference. Which energy giving foods/drinks should the patient take inplace of soft drinks?

First of all, the complications of hyperglycemia take a while to develop, so most clinicians are more aggressive in the treatment of low blood sugar compared to high blood sugar. So it is valid to give a sugary drink without checking the blood sugar. If the patient feels better, they most likely had hypoglycemia.

In known diabetics however, you should always check their sugars.

If you suspect hypoglycemia, you can give anything that will be easy to swallow and quickly absorbed by the body. And the options are any liquid that contains simple sugars like fructose, glucose etc. The best options I can think of will be fruit juices - Caprisun, Five alive etc.

However, it is easier to get a bottle of coke/fanta/sprite in Nigeria. So, it looks like that is our best option.
Re: Why Do Health Worker Prescribe Coca Cola To Patients? by dominique(f): 3:25pm On May 06, 2013
Thanks for the explination. Still I feel doctors shouldn't hastily recmmend such sugary stuff if patient history is not known.
Re: Why Do Health Worker Prescribe Coca Cola To Patients? by bilms(m): 4:02pm On May 06, 2013
Why don't they recommend 7up,pepsi etc. Their obsession with coca cola is something else.
Re: Why Do Health Worker Prescribe Coca Cola To Patients? by bilms(m): 6:22pm On May 07, 2013
?

(1) (Reply)

6 Deadly Effects Of Having Too Much Sex. / Watch That Pain!!! / Some Freaky Diseases You Won't Believe Really Exist.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.