Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,224 members, 7,825,857 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Nigeria Senator 'fears For Life' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Senator 'fears For Life' (762 Views)

My Fears For Buhari’s Change Agenda - Olusegun Obasanjo / Military Takeover Imminent In Nigeria - SENATOR DECLARES!! / Nigeria Senator Sani Ahmad Yarima, I Have Not Broken Any Law. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Senator 'fears For Life' by denuda: 1:50pm On Apr 17, 2008
The daughter of Nigeria's ex-leader Olusegun Obasanjo has told the BBC she fears for her life after being charged by the nation's anti-corruption agency.

Sen Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello was named in a fraud case that led to the resignation of two health ministers.

Her comments come after anti-corruption agents raided her home in an attempt to bring her in for questioning.

"I'm not on the run but I feel as if I'm a victim of harassment, I'm afraid for my life," she said.

Mrs Obasanjo-Bello chairs the Senate's Health Committee.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) alleges the former health ministers withdrew unspent money from the budget and accuses Sen Obasanjo-Bello of receiving some of that money, which she denies.

Resignations

After charges against Mrs Obasanjo-Bello were read in court last week, the EFCC said she had to turn herself in as soon as possible.

There's a very huge anti-Obasanjo sentiment in the country now

Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello

She says she cannot understand why her home was raided on Tuesday when she has visited the EFCC offices twice in the past week and made herself available through her lawyer.

"I am afraid of the EFCC, they slapped my PA when they got to the house," she told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme.

"There's a very huge anti-Obasanjo sentiment in the country now and honestly the behaviour is not normal."

Sen Obasanjo-Bello was elected to represent Ogun State in the Senate in last year's elections when her father stepped down after two terms in office.

Former Health Minister Adenike Grange and former Minister of State for Health Gabriel Aduku resigned from their positions in March after an investigation uncovered 300m naira ($2.5m) had not been returned to the federal government after the budget year ended.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7351372.stm
Re: Nigeria Senator 'fears For Life' by desgiezd(m): 2:49pm On Apr 17, 2008
She's running from herself and we'll see how far she would go.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Is 48 : Happy Independence Day / Shoker! I Don’t Know The Number Of Policemen In Nigeria – Okiro / Dltw Group 2 24-28th Nov. 2008

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.