Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,135 members, 7,821,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World (1234 Views)

Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure / The African Phenotype Diversity Thread / The Social And Cultural Implications Of Living In The West (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 06, 2013
Does ethnic diversity lower a country’s economic growth rate or level of public good provision,
as Easterly and Levine (1997) and Alesina, Baqir and Easterly (1997) claim? Are more
ethnically divided states more civil war prone? Less (or more) likely to experience democratic
transitions or stable democracy? More likely to have highly fractionalized party systems if they are democratic? What factors differentiate ethnic groups that rebel or have secessionist
movements from those that do not? What differentiates the ethnic groups whose members
mobilize in the political sphere from those that remain “latent”?
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by onila(f): 7:24pm On May 06, 2013
undecided
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by Nobody: 7:28pm On May 06, 2013
the study is too long so i won't copy and paste it ...

the question is should we remap Africa? don't you think there are ethnic groups which aren't/weren't meant to live togheter? why do we fight civil war to keep something we didn't create?

let be honest there are backwards ethnicities, which if it wasn't for hhe others and maybe for the white man would still live in caves. some never built a society etc ..

let's also kee in mind that in a multi ethnic country you have to satisfy the interest of each ethnicities before moving forward? what are some ethnicities afaid of?

most if not all mono ethnic countries are prosperous .when multi ethnic groups are behin and most if not all lack proper infrastructures and are not even close to make it.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/ethnic/workingpapers/egroups.pdf
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by Nobody: 7:31pm On May 06, 2013
Botswana is a great example...
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by Nobody: 7:32pm On May 06, 2013
onila: undecided
your brain can't process this , oya go and post your daily pictures
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:34pm On May 06, 2013
about the backward ethnicities. I mean tribes like the Himba, etc., they are very content with their lives and cattle in the bush. Its best if these are carved out as separate protected territories. something like natural reserves.

If we drag them into the complicated world, it becomes a burden unto them as well as unto us. what is your opinion Cameroon. is this right or wrong?
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by onila(f): 8:51pm On May 06, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
about the backward ethnicities. I mean tribes like the Himba, etc., they are very content with their lives and cattle in the bush. Its best if these are carved out as separate protected territories. something like natural reserves.

If we drag them into the complicated world, it becomes a burden unto them as well as unto us. what is your opinion Cameroon. is this right or wrong?
just like the case of native americans n canadianz
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:53pm On May 06, 2013
yes sortof. Like Reservations. but big ones. One of my friend has Cree tribe Canadaian friends. they are mostly autonomous and deal with their own issues. and they take good care of the environment.
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by Nobody: 9:01pm On May 06, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

very right,i mean i agree . the same thing is about to happen with the pygmies(baka) e had a talk with them theyare our neighbor so we had a talk with them and believe they don't really care about what we call civilization tho not all of them but most of them, the saying u cant miss what you never had is true..these people really enjoy their nature

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by Nobody: 9:03pm On May 06, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
yes sortof. Like Reservations. but big ones. One of my friend has Cree tribe Canadaian friends. they are mostly autonomous and deal with their own issues. and they take good care of the environment.
sounds interesting ...but the problem here is some live on very big untapped resources/minerals etc for example the same pygmies how are we going to exploit wood and diamond if they have a total autonomy? and what if my ethnicity is in big number(indigeneous) in their region?
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:11pm On May 06, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: sounds interesting ...but the problem here is some live on very big untapped resources/minerals etc for example the same pygmies how are we going to exploit wood and diamond if they have a total autonomy? and what if my ethnicity is in big number(indigeneous) in their region?

well since they won be using it themselves, they could be given benifits from the resources and shares (percentages from it for their use). Settled Tribal Governments could build hospitals , etc., and other basic ammenities for these Pygmies and other bush tribals and at the same time make use of the resources. there is a systematic way of doing things.

If the ethnicity is big in that region, this is more likely to work.
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:14pm On May 06, 2013
see what happened to the Bedu Tribal Arabs of Arabia. the oil wealth which they thought was a boon has an infact been a curse to their lifestyles. I have noticed those people today, though filthy rich, are not content. they have lost everything infact n a span of 30 years. Their deserts are being destroyed to make way for high rise buildings. they are digging their own graves.
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by Nobody: 9:15pm On May 06, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

well since they won be using it themselves, they could be given benifits from the resources and shares (percentages from it for their use). Settled Tribal Governments could build hospitals , etc., and other basic ammenities for these Pygmies and other bush tribals and at the same time make use of the resources. there is a systematic way of doing things.

If the ethnicity is big in that region, this is more likely to work.
yeah ....do you know that means Naija should break up?
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:17pm On May 06, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: yeah ....do you know that means Naija should break up?

Naija today is mostly settled. It can become a developed tribal zone. The only places where these reserves can apply are in the border areas such as Adamawa, North Gumel Bauchi (Fulani Nomadic Lands), etc.

About the Nomadic Cattle herding tribes, espcially the Fulani, I was thinking these tribes could form a Milk Co-operative (as is done among certain tribal groups in India). THey can then maintain their lifestyles as well as control the monopoly on dairy products in Africa.
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by Nobody: 9:24pm On May 06, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Naija today is mostly settled. It can become a developed tribal zone. The only places where these reserves can apply are in the border areas such as Adamawa, North Gumel Bauchi (Fulani Nomadic Lands), etc.

About the Nomadic Cattle herding tribes, espcially the Fulani, I was thinking these tribes could form a Milk Co-operative (as is done among certain tribal groups in India). THey can then maintain their lifestyles as well as control the monopoly on dairy products in Africa.
i was talking in general...remember mono ethnic countries are way better than multi ethnic countries ....you know there are a lot of tribal clashes in nigeria right? , also i think fulani do all that in purpose seriously nver see more stubborn than them , they even want to rear their cattle in town, refuse to use railway etc ..gosh
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:31pm On May 06, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: i was talking in general...remember mono ethnic country are way better than multi ethnic country ....you know there are a lot of tribal clashes in nigeria right? , also i think fulani do all that in purpose seriously nver see more stubborn than them , they even want to rear their cattle in town, refuse to use railway etc ..gosh

you mean like China? True.

China is majority Han Chinese. The rest are Hakka, Manchu, and other lesser ethnics.

same case with Japan, South Korea, etc.

India faces major ethnic diversity problems and is quite destabilized. it has loads of ethnic tensions and internal warfare, especially in Northern, Central and North-Eastern Regions.

Borneo and Sumatra are almost like the autonomous tribal reserves I talked about. Majority of its inhabitants are Dayak tribsepeoples.

It can be done. either that , or all African Countries must unite and form autonomous Regions within a great nation. Like the Reserves I talked about.

About the Fulani there situation is different. lol @ raring cattle in town!
the thing is that the Fulani follow an ancient and natural Transmigration Route throughout the Sahel. They and the TOuareg do not recognise these new man made boundaries. They are like birds. they return back to their original migratory route every season.

Now they are not able to catch up with the advancing change. you find all these new roads, railroads, etc., that have sudenly cropped up on their traditional grazing routes. THeir situation is a terrible one. I know they are a bit problematic. However they have suffered a lot. Many FUlani families have lost all their cattle and are living like destitutes near garbage dumps. I have seen that.

check this video out. you will know what Im talking about (@ around 6:00 mins or so he talks about the problems) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVaoTKZV9Ns

The solution to this is that the Fulani and Touareg must be given a set area and migratory route to follow. The FUlani are a very large ethnic group, if not the largest and are spread across the Sahel. They are a majority in quite a few countries and areas. (Senegal ,etc.)
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by Nobody: 9:44pm On May 06, 2013
my previous comment sounde like they all rear cattle lol, fulani are great people and a rich culure ...but they are very stubborn even the educated one ...anyway i don't mind joining my people(with my regions of course) in Gabon and Equatorial guinea...

i actually have to go watched the video till 10min ...interesting ...
so do Hausa want to join fulani? or u are not that close that they your leaders(politicians want us to believe) i mean i Cameroon there are no indigenuous Hausa and we don't group u together like in nigeria cool cool

as for the fulani problem , i think they should have a country of their own .i really don't think people will give them gazing land esp because most of thei southern neighbors are farmers part of nigeria, Cameroun, Niger,chad....tho there are many others ethnicities in their so called territories..and they are a minority in Cameroon
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by Nobody: 9:48pm On May 06, 2013
i don't mind living in a country like Botswana .....no wahala no moving forward then moving backward angry angry
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:53pm On May 06, 2013
yes Fulani are stubborn. it is in their nature. I have a Fulani friend from Adamawa. very stubborn guy but a good friend.

well today majority of us Hausa dont really care but truth be told, NO. we want to be separate. we are and have always been a separate people. The Fulani cattle are dangerous to our crops and we dont want them to mix with us. Its good for them as well as for us. Also, the brand of islam brought by the Fulani to Hausaland has caused most of our problems today.

We have many Fulani leaders, but its best if they leave. I dont like Fulani leaders. talking about Fulani Leaders, I wonder what has happened to Lamido Sanusi? he is not coming on the news these days. keeping a low profile by the looks of it. .

Yes they should have a country of their own. They can share the SAhel and the Sahara with the Tuareg.
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:56pm On May 06, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: i don't mind living in a country like Botswana .....no wahala no moving forward then moving backward angry angry

Botswana is actually a rich country with lots of resources, a good banking system, pretty good infrastructure, diamond industry, etc. they just need to do something about that AIDS problem.

they too have a large single ethnic group. (nearly 8o%) - The Ba Tswana people.
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by Nobody: 11:12pm On May 06, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Botswana is actually a rich country with lots of resources, a good banking system, pretty good infrastructure, diamond industry, etc. they just need to do something about that AIDS problem.

they too have a large single ethnic group. (nearly 8o%) - The Ba Tswana people.
yeahh i don't think one can reach a 100% mono ethnic country ....80%-90%-99% i'm taker

the country is very progressive, they don't have to worry about quota etc there is a pure "meritocracy" and they have the same lifestyle etc

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by Nobody: 11:16pm On May 06, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
yes Fulani are stubborn. it is in their nature. I have a Fulani friend from Adamawa. very stubborn guy but a good friend.

well today majority of us Hausa dont really care but truth be told, NO. we want to be separate. we are and have always been a separate people. The Fulani cattle are dangerous to our crops and we dont want them to mix with us. Its good for them as well as for us. Also, the brand of islam brought by the Fulani to Hausaland has caused most of our problems today.

We have many Fulani leaders, but its best if they leave. I dont like Fulani leaders. talking about Fulani Leaders, I wonder what has happened to Lamido Sanusi? he is not coming on the news these days. keeping a low profile by the looks of it. .

Yes they should have a country of their own. They can share the SAhel and the Sahara with the Tuareg.
they did the same , tried to o the same up north when our president was fulani .first they make u believe everyone up north is muslim ,then they are all fulani ..thanks we have been wise ..

they should have their country .. no stress and they can make their cattle gave where they want.
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:18pm On May 06, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: they did the same , tried to o the same up north when our president was fulani .first they make u believe everyone up north is muslim ,then they are all fulani ..thanks we have been wise ..

they should have their country .. no stress and they can make their cattle gave where they want.

wow Cameroon had a Fulani PRez! I never knew.

Yes the Fulani are adept at Fulanization. Im surprised with what you just said. that is exactly what they do. They first try to islamize a population and then they Fulanize it and then they islamize it further by making you believe all the populations there are muslim, thereby swallowing up all the smaller ethnic groups.

This is the sad story of what happened to the Marghyii of Adamawa.
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by Nobody: 11:29pm On May 06, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

wow Cameroon had a Fulani PRez! I never knew.

Yes the Fulani are adept at Fulanization. Im surprised with what you just said. that is exactly what they do. They first try to islamize a population and then they Fulanize it and then they islamize it further by making you believe all the populations there are muslim, thereby swallowing up all the smaller ethnic groups.

This is the sad story of what happened to the Marghyii of Adamawa.
our first pres was fulani : Ahmadou Ahidjo .can you imagine that they don't make 10% of the population but receive 18% percent in any gov school?

he islamized a good part some are still pagan but don't have the political power up north so they are silented ..and can do shiat, sometimes they clash ...when it happens the fulani behave because they know they are the minority ...also the ignorance of southern doesn't help ...southern call everyone dark with an accent or coming from the north a Fulani(due to Ahidjo) or sobadjo ,anyway i'm working on that wink

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by Nobody: 11:51pm On May 06, 2013
tired ...will update with pictures later lol
Re: Ethnic Structure And Cultural Diversity Around The World by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:32am On May 07, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: our first pres was fulani : Ahmadou Ahidjo .can you imagine that they don't make 10% of the population but receive 18% percent in any gov school?

he islamized a good part some are still pagan but don't have the political power up north so they are silented ..and can do shiat, sometimes they clash ...when it happens the fulani behave because they know they are the minority ...also the ignorance of southern doesn't help ...southern call everyone dark with an accent or coming from the north a Fulani(due to Ahidjo) or sobadjo ,anyway i'm working on that wink

wow that is a high cut off for a minority! shocked

I think your Govt. just assumes anyone from the North as Fulani. Yes the Kirdi tribes are all Pagan, though a significant part have converted after 1970s.

kool. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Human Parts Available: Live Human, N40,000; Head, N8,000; Hands, N4,000 / Difference Between Yoruba North/yoruba South / 4 Exciting Things About The Fulanis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.