Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,286 members, 7,815,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie (22457 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Five Ways Hollywood Movies Are As Bad As Nollywood Movies. / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 06, 2013
Take note of the bolded parts.

The movie cost approximately N1.27 billion ($8m) to make. Half of a Yellow Sun’ is an adaptation of Chimanmanda Ngozi Adichie’s novel, ‘Half of a Yellow Sun’, the movie was shot at Tinapa Film Studio, Cross River State, and in the United Kingdom. The movie is yet to be released but we have confirmed that the movie was directed by Biyi Bandele who had most of its cast and crew flown from abroad. The cast comprised Britons and Nigerians such as Chiwetel Ejiofor (Kinky Boots, American Gangster, 2012, Salt); Thandie Newton (Mission: Impossible II, Crash, The Pursuit of Happiness); Anika Noni Rose (Dreamgirls, The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency, For Coloured Girls); Joseph Mawle (Women in Love, Game of Thrones); John Boyega (Attack the Block); Onyeka Onwenu, Nigerian singer and actress; Genevieve Nnaji and Zack Orji.

The production quality of the film directly points tothe growing professionalism in Nollywood. In the last five years, Nollywood has been growing in terms of output and quality. .The development has also impacted huge returns. Not only is Nollywood ranked third globally in terms of quality of production, financially Nollywood is also placed third in the world. [b]Managing director, Robert Orya of Nigerian Export-Import Bank (NEXIM), says: ‘The global film and entertainment industry generated about $90.6 billion revenue in 2010,’ Orya explains, saying ‘the revenue increased to $102.7 billion in 2012.

Most of these revenue streams are largely from theatrical distribution. North America contributed the largest market share of about 40 percent. Europe, Middle East and Africa accounted for 24 percent, Latin America 20 percent, and Asia Pacific made only 3 percent contribution.’

Film maker Victor Okhai says a new breed of film makers began to bring professionalism into the industry, which explains the improvement in the quality of films produced lately. ‘It is expected that the quality of films will improve,’ says Okhai. ‘We are at a stage where we can no longer play the mediocre anymore. We have discovered that when we attend film festivals, we realised that nobody pays attention to Nollywood films. They look at the industry with disdain at these film festivals. Then local film makers came back home to do some serious work.[/b]

Many film makers are challenged by what they see at film festivals,’ he says. Before the emergence of ‘Half of a Yellow Sun,’ the movie ‘Tango with Me’ produced by Mahmoud Ali-Balogun, ranked as the most expensive film. The movie was shot with the latest Kodak 35mm camera, ‘Tango with Me’ costs over N50 million to produce says Ali-Balogun. To show the passion Ali Balogun had for movie production, he travelled all the way to Bulgaria to master film technology. The end product of the trip was an outstanding film that ‘Half of a Yellow Sun’ has knocked-off. Experts say the return of the cinemas has offered a veritable platform for film makers to escape piracy and the open market. By granting first viewing to cinemas, film producers are assured of getting returns on their investments.

But Okhai still emphasizes on the quality of production, he says: ‘Cinemas cannot project poor quality films,’ explains Okhai, as ‘your flaws as a film producer are blown in proportion to the size of the screen.
Film makers in the Diaspora are returning home to show how good films are made abroad. Their films are changing the way local film producers are making films’. True to Okhai’s theory, movie producers can recover tremendous amounts from cinema viewing. A couple of examples are In 2009 for instance, Stephanie Okereke’s movie, ‘Through the Glass,’ premiered at the cinemas making over N10 million. This was followed by Kunle Afolayan’s ‘The Figurine’ becoming the first local film to make over N30 million in the cinemas. Chineze Anyaene’s film, ‘Ije,’ also recorded tremendous success at the cinemas, making over N57 million and viewed by an estimated 14,000 people. In 2010, ‘Ije’ was reputed to be Nigeria’s highest selling movie in the cinemas, returning to the cinemas three times that year. Its success was next to Hollywood’s ‘Avatar.’ ‘Anchor Baby’ produced by Lonzo Nzekwe also made over N17 million

Source

3 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by splashbaby(m): 11:16pm On May 06, 2013
1.27 Billion...What? The movie are coming on board...bye bye home video...at least we can leave it for those Ghanaians...

19 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 12:13am On May 07, 2013
Through the Glass - N10 million.
The Figurine - N30 million
Ije - N57 million
Anchor Baby - N17 million

The above are 'Nollywood' films and the type of return the best ones can make. Half Of A Yellow Sun isn't Nollywood nor has it been made with Nigerians as the primary audience.

No 'Nollywood' film, as I've mentioned before a few times, has ever come anywhere near even making $1 million. Half Of A Yellow Sun will put the spotlight on Nigeria and I'm pretty sure at some point real 'Nollywood' films will start breaking the million dollar barrier... That will only be done if they start looking at and catering for a 'global' audience.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Nigerian audience has not spent $1 million on any film be it Hollywood or Nollywood... in fact be it anythingwood we DO NOT spend money at the cinemas... simples!

But then again we know Nigerians are quick to jump on anything as a 'bragging right' as that seems to be the most important thing for us. (HOYAS is just a film shot IN Nigeria and is not 'Nollywood', just like the wonderful 1990 film 'Mr Johnson' - starring Pierce Brosnan and shot in Kano is also not a 'Nollywood' film.)

Real Nollywood needs, for starters, to begin to make seriously good global films for $100K-$200K tops. Since it's obvious large returns will not come from the Nigerian audience; let them tackle the global one... get that right and then with time the budgets will increase exponentially.
For now it makes zero sense for 'Nollywood' to have huge budgets if it takes touting a movie from cinema to cinema for 2-5yrs to recoup the budget... Either that or our filmmakers have been lying about their 'actual' budgets.

11 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 12:36am On May 07, 2013
Let's put a few things into perspective -

What Nigerians spent at the cinema -

The Avengers - $202,368
Dark Knight - $ 50,134
Iron Man - $ 49,724
Iron Man 2 - $ 59,572

So obviously we no dey spend pass 'coffee' budget of any movie (remember these are short time cinema runs of like 2 months max) abi?

How many years did it take the Nollywood film 'Ije' to make N57? She made the film when she was in film school so that's like 2005/06... so what's that? 6-7yrs to make $360K.
So again, we seriously need to look at making films that will grab a part of the 'global' audience.

4 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 12:59am On May 07, 2013
VillageBoi:
Through the Glass - N10 million.
The Figurine - N30 million
Ije - N57 million
Anchor Baby - N17 million

The above are 'Nollywood' films and the type of return the best ones can make. Half Of A Yellow Sun isn't Nollywood nor has it been made with Nigerians as the primary audience.

No 'Nollywood' film, as I've mentioned before a few times, has ever come anywhere near even making $1 million. Half Of A Yellow Sun will put the spotlight on Nigeria and I'm pretty sure at some point real 'Nollywood' films will start breaking the million dollar barrier... That will only be done if they start looking at and catering for a 'global' audience.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Nigerian audience has not spent $1 million on any film be it Hollywood or Nollywood... in fact be it anythingwood we DO NOT spend money at the cinemas... simples!

But then again we know Nigerians are quick to jump on anything as a 'bragging right' as that seems to be the most important thing for us. (HOYAS is just a film shot IN Nigeria and is not 'Nollywood', just like the wonderful 1990 film 'Mr Johnson' - starring Pierce Brosnan and shot in Kano is also not a 'Nollywood' film.)

Real Nollywood needs, for starters, to begin to make seriously good global films for $100K-$200K tops. Since it's obvious large returns will not come from the Nigerian audience; let them tackle the global one... get that right and then with time the budgets will increase exponentially.
For now it makes zero sense for 'Nollywood' to have huge budgets if it takes touting a movie from cinema to cinema for 2-5yrs to recoup the budget... Either that or our filmmakers have been lying about their 'actual' budgets.

Hey bro....The point of the thread is to acknowledge that we have more determined filmmakers recently.

Just like you said....filmmakers won't make enough from Nigerian cinema due to the attitude of Nigerians.
eg...check out the budgets of the following movies and their returns.

FIGURINE----NGN50Million/NGN30Million
IJE-----$2.5Million/NGN57Million
and so many more. i've also pondered on this. I really don't know how they get around it. We can now see the kinda hostile environs these filmmakers operate. Yet, these same Nigerians are the first to say 'NOLLYWOOD and craps'. It's really sad.

Ije is even at a 'maximum' lose...See the difference. Doctor Bello's Budget is $1million. Well, thank God the filmmaker was able to screen in the major theatres in United states. Hopefully. it will make more than the budget (for a change).

Half o a yellow sun however, idgaf who owns the movie. But i see it exposing Nollywood movies to a global audience. The Producer of the film said it in an interview himself that 'Half of a yellow sun' is the biggest budget in Nigerian movie industry; Which i interprete to mean that, Nigerian movie industry is part of the project (i dont still care though)----and I'm tired of looking for a other media talking about the movie, na so so 'Naija this dot com', Nigerianblah dot com' i dey see. Na dem sabi. My own na to watch film. Though i must say,; i've really lost interest in the movie.

just like the wonderful 1990 film 'Mr Johnson' - starring Pierce Brosnan and shot in Kano is also not a 'Nollywood' film.)
not insinuating anything but you can't compare Mr Johnson in this case. Last i checked, Half of its crew were not Nigerians (including the scriptwriter and the director). Just saying.

I think you should read this 80% Of The Budget For ‘Half Of A Yellow Sun’ Came From Nigerian Investors

2 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 1:28am On May 07, 2013
speedyboi:
Hey bro....The point of the thread is to acknowledge that we have more determined filmmakers recently.

My own na to watch film. Though i must say,; i've really lost interest in the movie.

not insinuating anything but you can't compare Mr Johnson in this case. Last i checked, Half of its crew were not Nigerians (including the scriptwriter and the director). Just saying.

I think you should read this 80% Of The Budget For ‘Half Of A Yellow Sun’ Came From Nigerian Investors

It's a good thread and I don't dispute HOYAS can be called 'Nigerian' at most, which is the stance I've always had, but it def isn't 'Nollywood'. I'm the same... I will see it in the cinemas but have also lost interest in it.

I think one can still compare it with Mr Johnson; afterall HOYAS has a crew of like 120 people & apart from the Director, you'll be hard press to find 3 other Nigerians - the highest of which is only a 'Line Producer'.

I knew right from time where most of the budget came from and might have even mentioned it in that old thread where they were trying to petition to get rid of that... 'what's-her-name-lead-actress'. The money still doesn't make it a Nollywood film. I think the 'world' will see the film as Nigerian and that is a HUGE plus.
Shebi China owns most of America through debt... that doesn't meant if persin waka go america then he/she has visited China grin

So... how do Nollywood/real Nigerian productions make it?

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 1:37am On May 07, 2013
VillageBoi:

It's a good thread and I don't dispute HOYAS can be called 'Nigerian' at the most but it def isn't 'Nollywood'. I'm the same... I will see it in the cinemas but have also lost interest in it.

I think one can still compare it with Mr Johnson; afterall HOYAS has a crew of like 120 people & apart from the Director, you'll be hard press to find 3 other Nigerians - the highest of which is only a 'Line Producer'.

I knew right from time where most of the budget came from and might have even mentioned it in that old thread where they were trying to petition to get rid of that... 'what's-her-name-lead-actress'. The money still doesn't make it a Nollywood film.
Shebi China owns most of America through debt... that doesn't meant if persin waka go america then he/she has visited China grin

So... how do Nollywood/real Nigerian productions make it?

@first bolded, the link i pasted in my last post also indicates that 60% of the crew are Nigerians. I get you though, and i know you got me smiley

@2nd bolded, i really do not know. I guess that will be a topic for another discussion. Afterall it's all for the gain. so who wouldn't jump to produce crap when there's no return for quality? Only those who are determined! And shey na determination man go chop? smh

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 1:41am On May 07, 2013
speedyboi:

@first bolded, the link i pasted in my last post also indicates that 60% of the crew are Nigerians. I get you though, and i know you got me smiley

I didn't see a link to HOYAS crew in your post (I saw the 80% budget one). It's been on IMDB for ages and there is zilch Nigerian crew! - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2215077/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm#cast
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 1:52am On May 07, 2013
speedyboi: .
(Quote from article & not my bro SpeedyBoi) - The development has also impacted huge returns. Not only is Nollywood ranked third globally in terms of quality of production, financially Nollywood is also placed third in the world.
Source

I've just read this from the very first thread post. Obviously the blogger is Nigerian, no issues there. But he/she has not got a darn clue.
Nollywood is NEVER third in terms of QUALITY of production and is also NEVER third in terms of finance!... Oh well, it's obvious this is a write-up from blogger that 1) Goes after the dreaded 'bragging' rights thing because they are so sure everyone is plain dumb. 2) Doesn't realise that with such statements he/she is actually dumb.
grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by alaladakosta(f): 5:52am On May 07, 2013
speedyboi, villageboi. you just dey quote ur self dey reply urself.u be actor?

4 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by BarryX(m): 6:03am On May 07, 2013
I tire ooo..my sister. Take it easy on the analysis brother that's is the work of rotten tomatoes I think. Why the fuss?? I dey wait for the person when go quote the whole post to comment today, na the same trouser me and the person go wear .the post is long enough.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Ijawboi(m): 6:06am On May 07, 2013
Coming back to comment
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by dannywest: 6:14am On May 07, 2013
And probably among the developed world's cheapest
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by fckyourman: 6:20am On May 07, 2013
Space booked
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by ninja4life(m): 6:25am On May 07, 2013
Movies in general donot interest me dis days maybe its because of my upcoming exam,at first i do watch nollywood movies(yoruba genre) with odunlade adekola,sanyeri,baba suwe etc due to their comic movies and then moved on to american movies(action movies) like mission impossible,24 hours,prison break etc before moving to watching those south korean movies begining with ju-mong,yi-san,a man called god etc now i'm tired of all of dem,can i get anything new to watch hope d movie catches my fancy.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by zhirinmai(m): 6:34am On May 07, 2013
VillageBoi:

Let's put a few things into perspective -

What Nigerians spent at the cinema -

The Avengers - $202,368
Dark Knight - $ 50,134
Iron Man - $ 49,724
Iron Man 2 - $ 59,572

So obviously we no dey spend pass 'coffee' budget of any movie (remember these are short time cinema runs of like 2 months max) abi?

How many years did it take the Nollywood film 'Ije' to make N57? She made the film when she was in film school so that's like 2005/06... so what's that? 6-7yrs to make $360K.
So again, we seriously need to look at making films that will grab a part of the 'global' audience.
Confirm talk bro
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 6:42am On May 07, 2013
Who here has seen Hotel Rwanda?

That's how I want this movie- which is also based on true events- to be made: emotionally powerful and accurate.

3 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by torgbe(m): 6:44am On May 07, 2013
splashbaby: 1.27 Billion...What? The movie are coming on board...bye bye home video...at least we can leave it for those Ghanaians...
cuz of some 3 or 4 quality nollywood films,then watch the jobs of about a million people collapsing and dont just believe everything u read,those figures are just imaginary from the blogger who wrote this...imagine him writing nollywood is the 3rd best in terms of quality in the world,i hope u laughed urself when u read that...next time think b4 u write and stop displaying the height of ur buffoonery

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by tspun(m): 6:47am On May 07, 2013
hmm 1.27 billion them bomb houses and plane for the film. I no doubt the amount o. Till i watch the film bfor i go no watin i want talk.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by sportfeva(m): 6:48am On May 07, 2013
Really! Odikwa risky Lol
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by slap1(m): 6:50am On May 07, 2013
Chimamanda don hammer! Kudos to her. . . Steven Spielberg should be getting ready for my own novel. AMEN!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Brymo: 6:53am On May 07, 2013
watreva,i jus luv Ngozie Adichie Chimanda,so if its cost 100k,m still gonna watch.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 6:56am On May 07, 2013
The cast alone is pointer to the fact that tis movie will be a hit! It may even be the most expensive movie shot in Africa. #1.2bn ($6.8 million) no be small money.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Rhymez(m): 6:59am On May 07, 2013
Sitting down and waiting for the pirated copy of the movie..........
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by slyk2(m): 7:07am On May 07, 2013
This is great!
N1.27b is not a big fee for an international movie.
This will surely net lots of funds.
The writer Chimamanda and her novel Half Of A Yellow Sun are popular.
The book talking about Biafra will take it to the skies.
I cant wait to watch it!

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by MajeOfficial: 7:08am On May 07, 2013
A movie funded by Nigerians, written by Nigerians, shot in Nigeria, starring Nigerians, about Nigerian historic events isn't Nollywood because it's big budget? Na wow for local champion mentality.

3 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by esere826: 7:10am On May 07, 2013
This will be the 1st nigerian film that i will pay to watch at the cinema

(This villageboi and speedyboi was a theathric monologue sha)
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by kevoh(m): 7:10am On May 07, 2013
Let us not just comment and argue on this thread alone we can also support the movie by going to see it at the cinema or buying the original DVD when it's out. Then we can return to this thread and either blast the movie or praise the efforts and money spent in producing it.
If you buy a pirated copy you have no right to complain angry because you are part of the problem.

6 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by biafranqueen: 7:16am On May 07, 2013
YEAH Chukwudalu grin I will pay to see
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by KingsleyOGBITI(m): 7:16am On May 07, 2013
Go get your original copy when it comes out

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hennessy Reunites Plantashun Boiz On Stage [pictures] / Heroes: TV Series / BBNaija: Liquorose Wins Trophy, ₦100,000 In Bet9ja Task

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.