Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,607 members, 7,816,508 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance (2539 Views)

Few Days From Now, Your ATM Will Be Useless Abroad & Online - See Alternatives / 100 Days From Today: What Nigerians Expect From Buhari / N (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by zigam(m): 6:13pm On Apr 17, 2008
(One chance rubbed and pushed him out from the bus and a coming vehicle crushed him). He was on his way to making contacts for quick clearing of his goods.

If cry and tears could bring back a dead person, my friend’s brother would be alive at this moment. It was on Tuesday, 15th April, 2008, just 2 days ago when the shocking news came. My friend’s phone rang and he happily picked the call but the message was “Please, do you know someone called Casmir’?” (His ID Card identified him). ‘Yes, I know him and what happened?’ my friend queried! “Your attention is needed immediately and besides you have to do something to save your brother’s life.” “How? I can’t get you.” But the caller again said “come to so so so place your brother had an accident.”

Immediately, his mother, brothers, sisters and friends rushed to see their lovely brother who just returned from abroad (the mother nearly naked herself as she was not herself upon hearing the news) but on getting there they could not see him because he had been taken to the hospital where he died after crying ‘please, help me, please, help me’ but the help was not rendered because the Doctor and the Nurses dumped him on the floor hence no money before any treatment could go on (according to the eye-witness). When they got there, the police and the hospital demanded N35,000 before they can release the body.

May I ask, which type of country is Nigeria and why is the country this way?
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by rite2salas(m): 6:19pm On Apr 17, 2008
Which type of country is Nigeria?

Federal Republic of Nigeria cheesy. The country is located in West Africa and shares land borders with the Republic of Benin in the west, Chad and Cameroon in the east, and Niger in the north. cheesy
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by bluehorizo(m): 6:39pm On Apr 17, 2008
What a pity.
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by almondjoy(f): 8:58pm On Apr 17, 2008
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! In God We Trust! cool
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by 4Play(m): 9:07pm On Apr 17, 2008
So the Police demanded 35,000 Naira to release the dead body? Where are those people working themselves into a frenzy over BA's treatment of a couple of Nigerians?

They should come and petition the police and hospital involved in this.
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by Imani(f): 9:14pm On Apr 17, 2008
4 Play:

So the Police demanded 35,000 Naira to release the dead body? Where are those people working themselves into a frenzy over BA's treatment of a couple of Nigerians?

They should come and petition the police and hospital involved in this.

While we don't always see eye to eye, especially when club related, you are spot on this time wink

People are quick to cry racism when their disruptive behaviour is reprimanded in foreign countries that have some discipline and regard for the law and human life, and expect to be treated like "eggs" while they are treated worse than animals in their "beloved" country. The irony always baffles me
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by Cadet(f): 9:38pm On Apr 17, 2008
Oga o. Nigeria jaga jaga, everything scatter scatter.
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by DisGuy: 9:58pm On Apr 17, 2008
Imani:

While we don't always see eye to eye, especially when club related, you are spot on this time wink

People are quick to cry racism when their disruptive behaviour is reprimanded in foreign countries that have some discipline and regard for the law and human life, and expect to be treated like "eggs" while they are treated worse than animals in their "beloved" country. The irony always baffles me

Erm is the man (ayo) really crying racism, it would appear whenever people complain, people say they are crying racism, when did it become a crime to complain?

why you two stalking each other?

What sort of doctors do we have in that country anyway, these so called professionals should be ashamed!

May his soul R.I.P
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by Imani(f): 10:18pm On Apr 17, 2008
Dis Guy:

Erm is the man (ayo) really crying racism, it would appear whenever people complain, people say they are crying racism, when did it become a crime to complain?

why you two stalking each other?

What sort of doctors do we have in that country anyway, these so called professionals should be ashamed!

May his soul R.I.P

Oga Dis Guy, please expand on the above bold comments

In answer to your question, nobody says don't complain. Just put your priorities in order. A whole doctor, probably of the same ethnic group couldn't have compassion and treat a fellow Nigerian until he died of his injuries, yet  nobody is protesting or complaining to the governement or relevant authorities. A Nigerian man is held down due to unrowdy behaviour of a few by BA and some people are crying racism and boycott. Where is the sense in that? We don't even treat ourselves well and expect others to treat us well. My previous comments still stand.
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by lucabrasi(m): 10:26pm On Apr 17, 2008
may the dude's soul rest in peace,but i dont think these issues should be taken in isolation,the one chance boys are mostly children of police and army officers who because of poverty and no opportunities by the society and having easy acess to their father's service weapon start robbing and the hospital as well even though some of them are heartless many simply do not have even syringes and have to get patients families to buy the needed drugs so that was prolly why the guy was left on the floor,the doctors are way over their heads as well and just making the best of the situation,i reckon the government is to be blamed because you need to hear what doctors in nigeria have to say,i personally think they should be commended for not taking the easy way out to the caribbean or canada or uk like most of their peers but getting stuck in,both the dead guy,the doctors,the police and the one chance people are all victims of the decay in society
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by bluehorizo(m): 10:31pm On Apr 17, 2008
Why is it that our hospitals will not attend to emergency cases without the police report? I remember a case where a man was shot by armed robbers and he was rushed to the nearest hospital only for the hospital to request for police report before they could attend to him. Eventually the man died. Which way are we heading?
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by princeonx: 10:36pm On Apr 17, 2008
I hate to judge the dead but seriously though how much does it cost to rent a car or pick a drop? what is he doing in one chance bus?
As much as I dislike some crap going on in naija there are still some you can avoid on your own! may his soul rest in peace.
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by TheSly: 10:44pm On Apr 17, 2008
Im so disappointed. . . embarassed
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by Mustay(m): 11:07pm On Apr 17, 2008
The hospital is operating as a BUSINESS ENTITY. On what basis do they incur the costs? HUMANITARIAN COSTS? Sadly, in such circumstances they become LAW ABIDING and demand for a police report from a dying fella. d system is abnormal.
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by DisGuy: 11:21pm On Apr 17, 2008
I think people should start suing these hospital for manslaughter, apparently is it illegal to refuse gun-shot victims treatment

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2008041713524293
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by PLC1: 9:53am On Apr 18, 2008
Just a pity! Many have gone that way and may God have mercy on Nigeria. May His Soul Rest In Peace. Amen!
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by manmustwac(m): 10:03am On Apr 18, 2008
So the Doctors, Nurses and Police can throw him on the floor because of no money, leave him there to die, then have the bloody cheek to demand #35'000 for a dead body?

And we dey complain in another topic about how the British Police treated a deportee on a plane and see how we treat ourselves?
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by romeo(m): 10:07am On Apr 18, 2008
Erm public transport is not good for people coming back from abroad!! rent a car or move with people u know
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by RichyBlacK(m): 10:19am On Apr 18, 2008
Imani:

Oga Dis Guy, please expand on the above bold comments

In answer to your question, nobody says don't complain. Just put your priorities in order. A whole doctor, probably of the same ethnic group couldn't have compassion and treat a fellow Nigerian until he died of his injuries, yet nobody is protesting or complaining to the governement or relevant authorities. A Nigerian man is held down due to unrowdy behaviour of a few by BA and some people are crying racism and boycott. Where is the sense in that? We don't even treat ourselves well and expect others to treat us well. My previous comments still stand.

@Imani,

The reason for the perceived irony is "self-selection" or "pre-selection". Most of those who travel outside the country (any developing nation) to any of the developed nations belong to a subset of the general population with certain traits. They're usually less tolerant of things they consider "improper" and more likely to act on them. Such a group of people actively seek opportunities to leave the country when they can't stand the situation anymore. Also, some of the qualities they possess make them more attractive to establishments in the developed countries (schools, corporations, etc). Note that this does not mean that ALL such people choose to leave the country; it does not also mean that MOST of such people choose to leave the country. It means that of those who choose to emigrate, a good proportion of them share certain identifiable traits. This may explain why most Nigerians living/visiting abroad are more likely to possess those traits than the general Nigerian population.
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by MrPataki1: 10:56am On Apr 18, 2008
This is so sad. That a Medical doctor can even look a man dying of an inflicted wound and yet refuse to treat such a person is totally disgusting. There are really some crazy laws in Nigeria, and our leaders do not care. Rather the minister of Health would rather want to look for elephant projects where another series of Millions of naira will roll in. Our Legislative arm of Government would rather prefer to fight over allocation of budget resources into their pocket.

I would never want to take public transports in places like Lagos. I can not even live in a place like Lagos. I would rather stick to Abuja.

My condolences goes to the family. embarassed

Such a shame. cry
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by yemmight(m): 12:25pm On Apr 18, 2008
May God Bless Nigeria. May the days of our corrupt leaders be reduced to enable good people come on board.
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by Nobody: 2:19pm On Apr 18, 2008
yemmight:

May God Bless Nigeria. May the days of our corrupt leaders be reduced to enable good people come on board.

Prayers like this have been said a million times in Nigeria. It doesnt work on people like OBJ, IBB, Anenih, Ali, Atiku, Adedibu etc., otherwise they could have died long time ago.
Just move up there and draw them down. Simple!! grin
Unfortunately, liver don fail everybody for Naija. cry
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by manmustwac(m): 4:30pm On Apr 18, 2008
nuzo:

Prayers like this have been said a million times in Nigeria. It doesnt work on people like OBJ, IBB, Anenih, Ali, Atiku, Adedibu etc., otherwise they could have died long time ago.
Just move up there and draw them down. Simple!! grin
Unfortunately, liver don fail everybody for Naija. cry

Yes OH!. Its called suffering and smiling. grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by Imani(f): 7:51pm On Apr 18, 2008
RichyBlacK:

@Imani,

The reason for the perceived irony is "self-selection" or "pre-selection". Most of those who travel outside the country (any developing nation) to any of the developed nations belong to a subset of the general population with certain traits. They're usually less tolerant of things they consider "improper" and more likely to act on them. Such a group of people actively seek opportunities to leave the country when they can't stand the situation anymore. Also, some of the qualities they possess make them more attractive to establishments in the developed countries (schools, corporations, etc). Note that this does not mean that ALL such people choose to leave the country; it does not also mean that MOST of such people choose to leave the country. It means that of those who choose to emigrate, a good proportion of them share certain identifiable traits. This may explain why most Nigerians living/visiting abroad are more likely to possess those traits than the general Nigerian population.

Ok, thanks for the scientific analysis. So, which "subset" do you belong to?

I don't entirely agree with your comments above. I will use the illustration of a baby. No baby was born walking, speaking and able to take care of itself. It has to be taught to do those things. In the same vein, I don't believe that some "subset" of people are more "compassionate and rational" than others in that sense. We are all Nigerians and have the same racial bond and attributes. Some people ability to move out of the country to seek greener pasture elsewhere was borne out of opportunity rather than deliberately moving abroad. At the end of the day, we are social being and learn a lot from our surroundings, both good and bad things. There was a time that Nigeria was a good place to live, people didn't move to foreign lands in droves like they do now. Are you suggesting the people then didn't have the "traits" that those that are moving away now have? Every human, at the end of the day, is responsible for their own development and choices they make. They can also choose to act morally, ethically or otherwise. I won't say those abroad are necessarily programmed to have certain traits. Just to remind you that there are lots of Nigerians in foreign jails as well. How will you class those people? undecided Compassion and love are "within rather than without" expressions. You either have them or not, and it is a shame some people don't have the capacity to show compassion to others. Our society is the way it is because somewhere along the line, we began to tolerate and accept greed, and other vices as a way of life. What do you expect the people to be like. Rather than challenge the leaders, maybe we should start from the layman on the street, because one day, he could become a leader and what skills will he have? Look at the type of leaders, some of them have been abroad and "exposed" but has that changed their "innate" behaviour? Looks like we are both going round in circle, the story of our nation!! cry
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by RichyBlacK(m): 11:07am On Apr 19, 2008
Imani:

Ok, thanks for the scientific analysis. So, which "subset" do you belong to?

I don't entirely agree with your comments above. I will use the illustration of a baby. No baby was born walking, speaking and able to take care of itself. It has to be taught to do those things. In the same vein, I don't believe that some "subset" of people are more "compassionate and rational" than others in that sense. We are all Nigerians and have the same racial bond and attributes. Some people ability to move out of the country to seek greener pasture elsewhere was borne out of opportunity rather than deliberately moving abroad. At the end of the day, we are social being and learn a lot from our surroundings, both good and bad things. There was a time that Nigeria was a good place to live, people didn't move to foreign lands in droves like they do now. Are you suggesting the people then didn't have the "traits" that those that are moving away now have? Every human, at the end of the day, is responsible for their own development and choices they make. They can also choose to act morally, ethically or otherwise. I won't say those abroad are necessarily programmed to have certain traits. Just to remind you that there are lots of Nigerians in foreign jails as well. How will you class those people? undecided Conpassion and love are "within rather than without" expressions. You either have them or not, and it is a shame some people don't have the capacity to show compassion to others. Our society is the way it is because somewhere along the line, we began to tolerate and accept greed, and other vices as a way of life. What do you expect the people to be like. Rather than challenge the leaders, maybe we should start from the layman on the street, because one day, he could become a leader and what skills will he have? Look at the type of leaders, some of them have been abroad and "exposed" but has that changed their "innate" behaviour? Looks like we are both going round in circle, the story of our nation!! cry

The statements in bold I found most disagreeable; opportunity and circles? Hmmm.

Focusing on the United States, there are four main channels for Nigerians who intend to emigrate. Observe that there must be an initial intention to emigrate. Whatever brings about such intention is likely linked to the "traits" I alluded to in my earlier post. The channels are:

1. Family: An immigrant in the US petitioning for one or more family members in Nigeria. The definition of family in this context is highly restrictive. Yes, opportunity, however, intent is a necessary ingredient - you can't force anyone to emigrate!

2. Diversity Visa: Play the US visa lottery and win. A mixture of opportunity and acquired skills; there are educational and/or work experience requirements that must be met before obtaining the visa.

3. Student (F-1) and Exchange Visitor (J-1) Visas: Many of them, especially those on F-1, go one to secure jobs and hence adjust their status to H-1B, and subsequently to permanent resident. Some further their education beyond their original intent, and some get married to Americans or resort to some kind of "arrangee" marriage. Obtainig the F-1 visa is largely based on excellent academic performance in school, and convincing SAT, GRE, GMAT, MCAT, LSAT, TOEFL, etc. scores. Intention is a necessary ingredient in this case.

4. Tourist/Visiting Visa: A significant proportion of those who intend to emigrate, deliberately overstay their visas while searching for a "willing spouse" to execute an "arrangee" marriage. Intent, planning, searching, and deliberate execution are all necessary ingredients.

Comments:
========
For channel 1, the highly restrictive definition of family and the priority scale attached to "qualified" family members, which causes delays as long as 10 years, reduces the flow of Nigerians to the US via this channel.

The diversity visa (channel 2) is a new entrant among these channels (started in the early 1990s) and only awards a few thousand visas to Nigerians each year. Intent and deliberate action are necessary for this channel. After all, only a subset of those with the intent of emigrating out of Nigeria, actually do apply. Many are careless about the dates and miss the deadline; are sluggish about getting their passport ready; or "don't have the time" for it.

Channel 3 and 4 are the largest conduits for Nigerians willing and ready to emigrate to the US. There are nearly 6,000 postsecondary schools in the US, and Nigerians can apply to all of them! Also, a huge number of Nigerians apply for visiting visas every year. Even if a fraction is given visas, it comes out being a very large number. Of those going on visiting visas, only those who deliberately choose to "check out" go on to overstay their visas while trying to "sort themselves out".

Other Issues
=========
To buttress my point that emigration has more to do with certain "traits" than mere opportunity, the immigrants in the host countries (United
States for this discourse) possess certain unique statistical realities. For example, according the 2000 US Census, 43.8% of African immigrants have at least a "College Degree" (the highest among all immigrant groups). The important thing to note is that this figure is higher than that of the general US population, and I posit that it is higher than that of the general Nigerian population.

NOTE: I'm assuming that your use of the word "opportunity" is not in the loose sense, otherwise every endeavor on earth is determined by opportunity.
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by Imani(f): 10:46pm On Apr 19, 2008
RichyBlack, you have to help me out here. I don't seem to understand most of what you typed.

You are only talking from a United States perspective, and i can't see the link between your comments and how people do or do not have compassion on a fellow citizen. You don't need to go abroad to learn that.
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by Nobody: 11:05pm On Apr 19, 2008
(One chance rubbed and pushed him out from the bus and a coming vehicle crushed him). He was on his way to making contacts for quick clearing of his goods.
[quote][/quote]wherever did you get that piece of story, dnt mean to criticise but just coming from abroad, and from the story i get that he is a biz man, hy did he choose to go by a public bus? ha no ride?
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by 4Play(m): 11:10pm On Apr 19, 2008
There is some truth to what Richy is saying but I don't think it fully explains the relative docility with which Nigerians respond to outrages at home unlike outrages abroad.

The average immigrant tends to be more educated than their average compatriot living back home.To the extent that higher levels of education cultivates a greater knowledge or appreciation of one's rights,a demographic(such as the migrant populace) with higher education levels will respond more sternly to any perceived breaches of their rights than a demographic with lower levels of education(such as the average Nigerian living back home).

The above partly explains why Nigerians abroad have a lower tolerance threshold of any perceived injustices compared to Nigerians back home.This applies generally to any migrant population.For instance,Pakistanis living in the UK are more likely to complain about civil liberties than Pakistanis living in Pakistan.

However,it only partly explains why the Nigerian diaspora complains more.There are other reasons at work:The fact that there are more reliable means of obtaining redress in the West than in Nigeria,the fact that human rights abuses have become so common place in Nigeria leading to a "dulling" of our sense of outrage,perhaps a sensitivity to white racism verging on the oversensitive.

All the above, in my view,explain the different reactions certain abuses or perceived abuses elicit from Nigerians depending on where they live.
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by doyin13(m): 11:43pm On Apr 19, 2008
4 Play:

perhaps a sensitivity to white racism verging on the oversensitive.

All the above, in my view,explain the different reactions certain abuses or perceived abuses elicit from Nigerians depending on where they live.

Hmmmm. . . .Black Tory in the Building tongue cheesy
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by Imani(f): 11:56pm On Apr 19, 2008
RichyBlack and 4Play,

I understand what you are saying about tolerance levels and so on. However, we class ourselves as a religious and "moral" society. If we don't learn anything from religious or moral virtues, then what is the point?

Before, I came to the UK, I had a sense of frustration about series of issues and was disillusioned, prob like every other teenager but just didn't know how to channel my frustrations. I guess that is where the dulling of senses come in. After a while, things that shock, become everyday occurrences and complaining becomes more of a hassle than a solution.

My only problem with your explanations is that where do we fit in moral and religious views that we so believe in. As a religious person myself, if i lived by the tenets of my religion, i shouldn't have problems with most people or breaking the law deliberately. I don't have to go abroad to know that. My position is that too long have we neglected developing our selves mentally, materially etc such that some think going abroad will change their lives. If the quality of the immigrants coming into a country is poor, there will be a drop in service, and will also affect the economy. I still believe that some things are innate and and compassion is something we should learn from around us. There are people in Nigeria, who live better lives than some of the higher subset you guys are talking about. I think being good, kind, respectful, is also an extention to the kind of society will live in. Everyone knows that the Nigerian society is sick of all manners of evil. Both people make up the country and most of our so called leaders have been immigrants at some stages of their lives. What did they do with what they learned?
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by Imani(f): 12:00am On Apr 20, 2008
doyin13:

Hmmmm. . . .Black Tory in the Building tongue cheesy

4play reads the "daily moan", the "torygraph", and may be a card carrying member of the conservatives. What do you expect?

He will be voting for bonkers Boris on May 1st.  shocked. Boris that has conveniently remembered he has a great one history in recent times. shocked

Thank God he was born here, or else, the tories still wouldn't want him even if he spoke English better than the queen. grin
Re: 8 Days From Abroad But Got Killed By One Chance by 4Play(m): 12:16am On Apr 20, 2008
Imani:

My only problem with your explanations is that where do we fit in moral and religious views that we so believe in. As a religious person myself, if i lived by the tenets of my religion, i shouldn't have problems with most people or breaking the law deliberately. I don't have to go abroad to know that.

Religion breeds fatalism and thus,lowers our tolerance threshold,especially amongst adherents of I'slam and the animist religions.

My position is that too long have we neglected developing our selves mentally, materially etc such that some think going abroad will change their lives.

People are being pragmatic,why stay in Nigeria when you can achieve more abroad? If you are looking for material or intellectual nourishment,its easy to see why someone will prefer going abroad.

I still believe that some things are innate and and compassion is sometime we should learn from around us.
You seem to presuppose that Nigerians back home are any less compassionate than Westerners.For me,the reverse is the case.You can see our compassion in people's willingness to share what little they have with others,there is a greater sense of communality which comes from compassion.

You see it in the way we treat our elders or the way people are more likely to come to the aid of someone in distress-how many times have you heard stories of Londoners walking away when they see someone being attacked?

There are people in Nigeria, who live better lives than some of the higher subset you guys are talking about. I think being good, kind, respectful, is also an extention to the kind of society will live in. Everyone knows that the Nigerian society is sick of all manners of evil. Both people make up the country and most of our so called leaders have been immigrants at some stages of their lives. What did they do with what they learned?

Those people are in the minority amidst a sea of ignorance and little education.There is an element of,"when you are in Rome. . . .".

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yet Another Kidnapping In Benin - Oshiomhole Is Ineffective / Nigerian Fighting For Gaddafi's Forces In Libya / Central Bank Gov. Lamido Sanusi Resumes To Work In Chieftaincy Garb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.