Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown (9930 Views)

See What Amaechi Did While The National Anthem Was Being Recited... / Nigerian Anthem Before American Anthem, Guests Tell Obaigbena, Thisday / Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by IleIfe2(m): 11:55am On May 07, 2013
Pk001:

I don't think is a bullshid thread, because if you could recall the way thisday chairman was painted an unpatriotic Nigerian simply for allowing American anthem to be sang first, you will know that Nigerians need to learn.

grin grin grin they called him every name possible.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:59am On May 07, 2013
Pk001:
if you could recall the way thisday chairman was painted an unpatriotic Nigerian simply for allowing American anthem to be sang first.
I was amazed with the way some Nigerians reacted to that news. Most of them were even ignorants.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by prettyboi1(m): 12:02pm On May 07, 2013
Ibro Yaya: Am just watching the reception of GEJ in capetown live on AIT. I notice that Nigerian anthem was sang first before the South african Anthem.
Am then wondering why the buhaha when American anthem was sang first during Clintons Visit to Ogun State.
I think is just protocol that you honour your guest first. Nigerians should learn or what do you think?

In my opinion,GEJ is a sitting president. .Clinton wasn't a sitting president while that stuff happened. You see the difference ?
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by Richtalk: 12:19pm On May 07, 2013
pretty_boi:

In my opinion,GEJ is a sitting president. .Clinton wasn't a sitting president while that stuff happened. You see the difference ?

No I don't agree with you. What of during football matches, are the players sitting Presidents too?
Protocol demands that you honour your guest first, whether president, civilian, footballer etc

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by plendil: 12:25pm On May 07, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa:
I was amazed with the way some Nigerians reacted to that news. Most of them were e[b]ven ignorants[/b].

nO MIND THEM!
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by Nobody: 12:39pm On May 07, 2013
churific: Irrelevant.

How exactly do some of these threads make it to the front page? Is there some sort of criteria because I've seen some excellent posts left behind while stupendous ones constantly grace front page?
First of all, don't use words whose meanings you don't know.
Secondly, read through a thread before you post comments, which, by the way, are usually silly when due diligence is ignored.
Thirdly, the reason why this thread is on the FrontPage has been stated and overstated, perhaps you should educate yourself as to why.
Fourthly, and finally, realise that application of common sense on your part would have saved me the hassle of setting the record straight. Make sure it doesn't repeat itself. Cheers.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by AjanleKoko: 12:51pm On May 07, 2013
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by Nobody: 12:59pm On May 07, 2013
(60)Nine%:
First of all, what's the point of this bullshid thread?

The point is to educate Nigerians on hyperventilating over simple things. I understand the reason for the thread by the OP. It is time we prove we can act matured and civilized. Usually the opposite is always the case.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by touchmehard: 1:06pm On May 07, 2013
I guess the Nigerian anthem was sang first because Goodluck is the President of Nigeria; while in the case of Bill Clinton, he didn't visit Ogun state as the American president, he visited as an American citizen, because he's no longer the President.

Meanwhile, I think the usual practices to sing the National anthem of the guest.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by Nobody: 1:06pm On May 07, 2013
u gys should free this president. if the guy mistakenly listens to what people say abt him, he'll have been dead long ago.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by IGBOSON1: 1:11pm On May 07, 2013
Can't we do something about that lacklustre Nigerian anthem? ; sounds like something a primary school kid would come up with.....in a hurry!

When you remember all the emotional and stirring songs appealing to nationalistic fervour that have come out from Nigeria in the recent past, you just know we could do better than what we're presently saddled with.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by solomon111(m): 1:37pm On May 07, 2013
Ibro Yaya:

I think I am more informed than you are. That's how it is suppose to be done, but I wonder why people on this same forum were crying foul during Clinton's visit to Nigeria.

https://www.nairaland.com/1209089/american-anthem-announced-before-nigeria
Because Clinton is a civilian,and not an official of the US govt.
He was not representing the United states govt.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by solomon111(m): 2:07pm On May 07, 2013
Richtalk:

No I don't agree with you. What of during football matches, are the players sitting Presidents too?
Protocol demands that you honour your guest first, whether president, civilian, footballer etc
footballers/sportspersons are valid and official representatives of their respective nations,so playing national anthems during sporting events is due protocol.
Clinton was not representing the US govt,playing the american anthem was moronnic.
I am sure he must have chuckled at the Ogun state govt.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by CARLISTO77(m): 2:11pm On May 07, 2013
Pk001:

I don't think is a bullshid thread, because if you could recall the way thisday chairman was painted an unpatriotic Nigerian simply for allowing American anthem to be sang sung first, you will know that Nigerians need to learn.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by Tinyemeka(m): 2:23pm On May 07, 2013
Nigeria sang before SA? Warraheck?! undecided

Whether Jonah swollah the Teelapea or the teelapea swollah Jonah is not revelant.

All we know is that there was a swollah!

Cheers!!! angry angry angry
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by jidewin(m): 2:37pm On May 07, 2013
I'm following the event closely too.Guys might be interested in this piece though...

‘Unloved’ Nigerians seek easier path to SA

TRADE is booming between Africa’s two giants, but the often disagreeable process of getting a visa for South Africa is making Nigerians feel unloved.

The country’s finance minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, put her finger on a sore point on Monday, underlining how political and diplomatic relations have lagged behind commercial ones.

A real effort has begun to try to warm things up. President Jacob Zuma went to Abuja last month to ensure that his opposite number, Goodluck Jonathan, would be coming for a full-blown state visit to South Africa followed by participation in the May 8-10 World Economic Forum on Africa 2013 this week. Mr Jonathan flew to Cape Town airport last night.

By an increasingly important barometer — money — the links between South Africa and Nigeria are strong. The value of bilateral trade rose to R36.6bn last year, five times the 2002 level. Nigeria’s soaring oil exports meant trade last year was heavily in Nigeria’s favour, by a ratio of five to one.

But crude oil and cruder cash are not the only yardsticks. After rattling off a long list of Nigeria’s attractions to investors, Ms Okonjo-Iweala dwelt on Monday on a more human problem.

"Nigerians do not feel very happy when they go to get a South African visa," she told a breakfast in Johannesburg organised by the South Africa-Nigeria Chamber of Commerce. In its efforts to rebuff Nigeria’s flotsam and jetsam, South Africa’s consulate in Lagos has angered the much larger numbers of legal and usually affluent applicants.

"We know we have elements within our society who are up to no good. We are sorry about that. But that should not (serve to) make policy," Ms Okonjo-Iweala said. The issue blew up last year when South Africa’s immigration authorities refused entry to Nigerians who lacked yellow fever certificates. There was an immediate tit-for-tat response and the South African authorities backed down.

"It’s the country that is the most profitable for us in Africa. In 20 years, we think it will be the most profitable in the group, including South Africa," said Helmut Engelbrecht, Standard Bank’s head of investment banking in Africa.
http://www.bdlive.co.za/national/2013/05/07/unloved-nigerians-seek-easier-path-to-sa
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by IbroYaya: 3:00pm On May 07, 2013
solomon111: footballers/sportspersons are valid and official representatives of their respective nations,so playing national anthems during sporting events is due protocol.
Clinton was not representing the US govt,playing the american anthem was moronnic.
I am sure he must have chuckled at the Ogun state govt.

^^^ Try kidnapping Clinton in Nigeria, you will know whether he is representing America or not.
He is an Ex-American President, do you know what that means?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by ULSHERLAN(m): 3:16pm On May 07, 2013
Born 2be Rich: When clinton visited Nigeria, ogun state to be precise, it was not even proper for them to play the american national anthem because Mr bill cliton is now an ordinary civilian like you and i..

Do you think if Buhari should visit Newyork, america will play the Nigerian anthem because he was once the president Get your facts right bro..GEJ is still the president of Nigeria so respect has to be given even in south africa...You guys should always reason some things out...
Thank you very much. I just can't believe our own citizen can compare our serving president to a former one. Its totally ridiculous

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by ULSHERLAN(m): 3:20pm On May 07, 2013
Ibro Yaya:

^^^ Try kidnapping Clinton in Nigeria, you will know whether he is representing America or not.
So since he is an ex president of the united states does that still qualify him for presidential treatment. Btw there are some decisions that ex presidents don't have power over. So when ur an ex just know your days are over and don't expect all time vip treatments
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by mtim14(m): 3:32pm On May 07, 2013
Born 2be Rich: When clinton visited Nigeria, ogun state to be precise, it was not even proper for them to play the american national anthem because Mr bill cliton is now an ordinary civilian like you and i..

Do you think if Buhari should visit Newyork, america will play the Nigerian anthem because he was once the president Get your facts right bro..GEJ is still the president of Nigeria so respect has to be given even in south africa...You guys should always reason some things out...
You got it wrong bro/sis/whareva. Those fighting in Ogun state that day were not fighting because Bill Cliton was a President or not,infact, dey were not against singing America anthem. Instead, dey were fighting because dey believe Nigeria Anthem should come before America anthem,which in my opinion still make dem un or less informed.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by IbroYaya: 4:03pm On May 07, 2013
ULSHERLAN:
So since he is an ex president of the united states does that still qualify him for presidential treatment.

^^^ That is not predential treatment.It is simply called Protocol!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by solomon111(m): 4:08pm On May 07, 2013
Ibro Yaya:

it means nothing.
As long as he is an american citizen,america will always intervene.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by naptu2: 4:09pm On May 07, 2013
Thisday did not breach protocol in anyway in Ogun State. The event was a private event, not a state event. They could have chosen to play the Star Spangled Banner and they couldn't have chosen not to. Whether Clinton is not representing the US is totally immaterial. However, protocol states that when the national anthem is being played in an event in which another anthem will be played (it could even be your school anthem), the national anthem must be played last, because it is the most important anthem.

There is nothing that prevents or makes it illegal for Thisday to play the american anthem at their event.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by GboyegaD(m): 4:14pm On May 07, 2013
The protocol usually is they would sing that of the visitor and then that of the host country.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by naptu2: 4:17pm On May 07, 2013
It pains me very much that I don't have the video I'd like to show (President Azikiwe being honoured by Howard University circa 1992. Arise O' Compatriots was played before Star Spangled Banner), however you can search for The Last Night Of The Proms (2001). The conductor was an american and the event was held not long after September 11th. Both The Star Spangled Banner and God Save The Queen were played. There was no official US delegation, neither was there a president or head of state in attendance.

Note that God Save The Queen is always the last piece of music played at the Last Night of The Proms.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by MEILYN(m): 4:26pm On May 07, 2013
let me start d war......Nigeria is beta dan South Africa, we re d giant of Africa, so any country our President goto in Africa, its a must dat our Nation Anthem will be sang 1st....Gbam am ready 4 ur reply
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 07, 2013
MEILYN: let me start d war......Nigeria is beta dan South Africa, we re d giant of Africa, so any country our President goto in Africa, its a must dat our Nation Anthem will be sang 1st....Gbam am ready 4 ur reply
see Wetin de comot for your mouth, you won make them come here de yab us abi
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by ZeusI: 7:38pm On May 07, 2013
Nigerians are always proving their illitracy in matters like this, in a thread like this, before the whole wide world like this. So if Obama yawns, with his mouth agape, in public -- on a formal occasion, Nigerians will consider it the etiquette en vogue and expect our president to act likewise? Eh-kwa? Our culture must be preserved! If U.S wishes to sing Nigerian anthem first when Nigerian dignitarian visits that will be their business, in Nigeria, our anthem goes first! Critics, go hang yourselves!
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by Ryda(m): 9:13pm On May 07, 2013
Zeus I: Nigerians are always proving their illitracy in matters like this, in a thread like this, before the whole wide world like this. So if Obama yawns, with his mouth agape, in public -- on a formal occasion, Nigerians will consider it the etiquette en vogue and expect our president to act likewise? Eh-kwa? Our culture must be preserved! If U.S wishes to sing Nigerian anthem first when Nigerian dignitarian visits that will be their business, in Nigeria, our anthem goes first! Critics, go hang yourselves!
sheyie2007: see Wetin de comot for your mouth, you won make them come here de yab us abi
MEILYN: let me start d war......Nigeria is beta dan South Africa, we re d giant of Africa, so any country our President goto in Africa, its a must dat our Nation Anthem will be sang 1st....Gbam am ready 4 ur reply
naptu2: It pains me very much that I don't have the video I'd like to show (President Azikiwe being honoured by Howard University circa 1992. Arise O' Compatriots was played before Star Spangled Banner), however you can search for The Last Night Of The Proms (2001). The conductor was an american and the event was held not long after September 11th. Both The Star Spangled Banner and God Save The Queen were played. There was no official US delegation, neither was there a president or head of state in attendance.

Note that God Save The Queen is always the last piece of music played at the Last Night of The Proms.
[q
Ibro Yaya:

^^^ That is not predential treatment.It is simply called Protocol!

uote
naptu2: Thisday did not breach protocol in anyway in Ogun State. The event was a private event, not a state event. They could have chosen to play the Star Spangled Banner and they couldn't have chosen not to. Whether Clinton is not representing the US is totally immaterial. However, protocol states that when the national anthem is being played in an event in which another anthem will be played (it could even be your school anthem), the national anthem must be played last, because it is the most important anthem.

There is nothing that prevents or makes it illegal for Thisday to play the american anthem at their event.
a
ULSHERLAN:
So since he is an ex president of the united states does that still qualify him for presidential treatment. Btw there are some decisions that ex presidents don't have power over. So when ur an ex just know your days are over and don't expect all time vip treatments
u
thor=Ibro Yaya]Am just watching the reception of GEJ in capetown live on AIT. I notice that Nigerian anthem was sang first before the South african Anthem.
Am then wondering why the buhaha when American anthem was sang first during Clintons Visit to Ogun State.
I think is just protocol that you honour your guest first. Nigerians should learn or what do you think?[/quote]
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by Nobody: 3:14am On May 08, 2013
Dey shuld learn
Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by naptu2: 6:06am On May 08, 2013
I wonder why some people are still arguing. Didn't they take part in the NYSC scheme? Which anthem is played first, the national anthem or the NYSC anthem?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown by Chindu224422(m): 6:12am On May 08, 2013
naija be their papa

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ali Ndume: Kleptocrats In Government Are Betraying Buhari’s Policies / Olawepo Hashim: No Serious Politician Will Join PDP / Lai Mohammed’s Faction Kicks As Abdulrazaq Begins Re-Election Bid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.