Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,496 members, 7,819,811 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab (10283 Views)

Word Of The Day / Not Sure Of Your Writing Skills? Post Here And We Can Help Each Other Improve / Join A Writing Group, Improve Your Writing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by sholay2011(m): 12:05pm On May 17, 2013
kofsy:
shocked shocked shocked 50K? That's ridiculous! Me I don't plan using any agent o! I will do the reg myself. But I hope you know you'd have to come to lagos or abuja to write the exam? Considering the fact that those are the only two places you can find a GRE test center in Nigeria.
I'm also preparing on my own! No coaching lessons... Have you started serious reading? I'm not really serious with my own studying yet o. Perhaps we can become study/reading partner cheesy cheesy cheesy just to motivate each other!
I don't mind at all. wink
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 12:31pm On May 17, 2013
sholay2011:
I don't mind at all. wink
Alright! I think I know you... You read AgricEcons right? You are bukky, dami, and rcf sisters cord's friend?
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by sholay2011(m): 12:47pm On May 17, 2013
kofsy:
Alright! I think I know you... You read AgricEcons right? You are bukky, dami, and rcf sisters cord's friend?
Lol...yes!!! Are you an OAU graduate? And how did you know me I'm flabbergasted.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 1:22pm On May 17, 2013
sholay2011:
Lol...yes!!! Are you an OAU graduate? And how did you know me I'm flabbergasted.
Loooool I only guessed! I think we have met... We boarded the same bus from "Oja" so you helped me with some of my stuffs to Akintola. If you can remember smiley
What material are you using for your GRE?
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by sholay2011(m): 1:57pm On May 17, 2013
kofsy:
Loooool I only guessed! I think we have met... We boarded the same bus from "Oja" so you helped me with some of my stuffs to Akintola. If you can remember smiley
What material are you using for your GRE?
Lol...I can't remember. I am using Kaplan and Barron. You?
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 2:07pm On May 17, 2013
sholay2011:
Lol...I can't remember. I am using Kaplan and Barron. You?
I'm using "Cracking the GRE" and Grubbers. But I only have the softcopies... I really don't like reading on the system... It bores me. Right now I only skim through the surface pending the time I get the hardcopies. Since someone already promised to help get them... How is Kaplan? I heard only the verbal section is ok!

Wait! We are already derailing my dear thread o! Looooool, do u use a bb? So we can talk better about stuffs pertaining to GRE. In the meantime, let's stick to the purpose of the thread, for the good of other readers, you know.

And you have not dropped your word for the day o... grin grin oya pls drop it. Thanks
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by sholay2011(m): 3:24pm On May 17, 2013
Lol...u be winch? cry jst kidding. I also use 'Cracking GRE' and read on my laptop too. Though, i kinda enjoy it. I don't use BB.

Not to derail your thread, here are 'words for today':
Word: EXACERBATE
Meaning: To worsen or aggravate a condition.
Verb.

Word: FALLIBLE
Meaning: Liable to err
Adjective.

Word: FERVENT/ FERVID
Meaning: Ardent, zealous, hot.
Adjective.

Word: GARRULOUS
Meaning: loquacious, talkative, wordy.
Adjective.

Word: MAUDLIN
Meaning: Effusively sentimental.
Adjective.

Word:

1 Like

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 17, 2013
Loool you dropped more that one word... It's one a day jor( I will spank you o grin). Pls drop just one/day, I guess that's where the fun is. It mustnt exceed one a day. smiley smiley

You can take your num off now! I have it and I will give you a call later in the day. I don't use whatsapp, but I will download it cos of you.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ZACHIE: 1:03pm On May 18, 2013
pulchritudinous

Even though it looks (and sounds) like it would describe a disease or a bad attitude, pulchritudinous actually describes a person of breathtaking, heartbreaking...beauty.
Let's be honest: Your opportunities for using this word in casual conversation are probably pretty slim. But, just in case, let's do a quick run-down on the pronunciation: Pulchritudinous: "pul-kruh-TOO-di-nuhs." And one last note about this 15-letter, 5-syllable beast (which may win the award for least-beautiful word meaning "beautiful"wink: It's only used to describe people.

Who does this word fit here?
Kofsy
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ZACHIE: 1:05pm On May 18, 2013
pusillanimous
You can describe someone who lacks courage as pusillanimous, such as a pusillanimous student who is too afraid to speak out against someone who is bullying others.
Its Latin origin — pusillus and animus — tell us that pusillanimous means "very small spirit." If you are pusillanimous, pronounced "pew-sill-AN-ih-mus," you don't have the spirit — or the confident or drive — to step up when it matters. The pusillanimous person stays quiet, doesn't get involved, waits for someone else to take a stand — not out of laziness, but fear.

to the students out there, pay attention to this word.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ZACHIE: 1:06pm On May 18, 2013
sinuous
Sinuous means winding or curvy. If you get lost on a sinuous mountain path, you'll need a compass or a GPS to figure out which direction leads back to camp.
The adjective sinuous comes from the Latin word sinus, which means to curve or bend. If you have a sinuous body, then you have lots of curves. Snakes use sinuous movements to travel. Live Oak trees have particularly sinuous branches. We usually use sinuous to talk about physical shapes of bodies or pathways, but you could also describe someone's logic as sinuous if it wanders all over the place when they're trying to explain something.

hold on to this too.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ZACHIE: 1:08pm On May 18, 2013
meme

A meme is an idea or habit that's passed between people and generations through imitation. An example of a meme is the cultural tradition of women wearing skirts.
A cultural idea, value, habit, or even something like a tune is a meme if it is picked up from someone else. A meme, which is pronounced "meem," will change over time, like younger kids who want to wear the exact same clothes but who eventually develop their own, though similar, styles. Recently, meme has become commonly used to refer to Internet memes — pictures, videos, or even slang words that are shared between Internet users.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 4:19pm On May 19, 2013
Meme! Loooooool can we get the pronunciation pls? I'm in love with this word grin grin
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 12:24pm On May 22, 2013
WORD: Canker \KANK-er\
verb
to become infested with erosive or spreading sores
to corrupt the spirit of
to become corrupted

USAGE:
I have never seen any children, only debased imitations of men and women,
cankered by greed and selfishness.

ETYMOLOGY:
"Canker" is commonly known as the name for a type of spreading sore that eats into the tissue—a use that obviously furnished the verb with both its medical and figurative senses. The word ultimately traces back to Latin "cancer," which can refer to a crab or a malignant tumor. The Greeks have a similar word, "karkinos," and according to the Ancient Greek physician Galen the tumor got its name from the way the swollen veins surrounding the affected part resembled a crab's limbs. "Cancer" was adopted into Old English, becoming "canker" in Middle English and eventually shifting in meaning to become a general term for ulcerations. "Cancer" itself was reintroduced to English later, first as a zodiacal word and then as a medical term.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Solphiequeen(f): 2:59pm On May 23, 2013
ZACHIE: Inscient

In"scient\, a. [L. insciens, -entis, ignorant. See In- not, and Scient, Science.] Having little or no knowledge; ignorant; stupid; silly. [R.] --N. Bacon.
Webster's Revised
Inscient

In"scient\, a. [Pref. in- in + L. sciens knowing.] Having knowledge or insight; intelligent. [R.]
Gaze on, with inscient vision, toward the sun. --Mrs. Browning.

@zachie,i dnt really understand d meaning u gave, u stated in ur first meaning dat it means little or no knowledge while u stated in ur second one dat it means knowledge...
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Solphiequeen(f): 4:15pm On May 23, 2013
I really love this this,its sooooo educating... My word for today is
CORNUCOPIA: something that is or contains a large supply of good things.
Example: the book is a cornucopia of good ideas.

1 Like

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 10:07am On May 24, 2013
Thanks for joining us sophiequeen smiley

Regarding the word "inscient", it can be used in two ways... To mean someone is ignorant, silly or stupid; and also to mean someone is intelligent. It depends on the context one is using it... It's actually a unique word that can cause confusion and should not be used when the listener is sensitive.
All in all, I like the fact that one can use the word in a very sarcastic manner grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 10:13am On May 24, 2013
chartreuse /shahr-TROOZ, -TROOS/

MEANING:
noun:
A light, yellowish green. 2. An aromatic, usually yellow or green liqueur, originally made by Carthusian monks in Grenoble, france.

adjective:
Having a light, yellowish green color.

ETYMOLOGY:
From mountain to monastery to drink to color -- that's the circuitous route for this word's origin. La Grande Chartreuse, a monastery got its name after the Chartreuse Mountains. The liqueur got its name because it was first made by the monks in the monastery. Finally, the color got its name from the liqueur. Earliest documented use: 1806.

USAGE:
The tree crowns were packed together like puffballs and shimmered with every hue, tint, and shade of green: chartreuse, emerald, lime, aquamarine, teal, bottle, olive, jade.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ZACHIE: 10:37am On May 24, 2013
HISTRIONICS
n.
[b][/b]
1. (used with a pl. verb) Theatrical arts or performances.
2. (used with a sing. or pl. verb) Exaggerated emotional behavior calculated for effect.

his•tri•on•ics (ˌhɪs triˈɒn ɪks)

n. (used with a sing. or pl. v.)
1. artificial behavior or speech for effect, as insincere or exaggerated expression of an emotion.
2. dramatic representation; theatricals.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ZACHIE: 10:39am On May 24, 2013
INSCIENT
Is an oxymoron in itself.
I have always liked the word
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 6:51pm On May 25, 2013
ZACHIE: INSCIENT
Is an oxymoron in itself.
I have always liked the word
*winks*
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 25, 2013
niggard /NIG-hurd/

noun:
A mean, stingy person.

adjective:
Stingy.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Middle English nigard, of Scandinavian origin. Earliest documented use: 1384.

NOTES:
Today's word has nothing to do with the N-word, however, similarity in sounds has led to people objecting to it. It's seen more often in its adjectival form, niggardly, as in:
"Japan has the world's second-largest economy, yet its promised $200m so far is niggardly." (The Economist). In the US, the word has become radioactive and its use has led to many controversies.

USAGE:
"It is a niggard's gift that costs the giver nothing."
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ZACHIE: 7:43pm On May 25, 2013
See more:

ggard definitions

Webster's 1828 Dictionary

NIGGARD, n. [straight, narrow; to haggle, to be sordidly parsimonious; exhibiting analogies similar to those of wretch, wreck and haggle.] A miser; a person meanly close and covetous; a sordid wretch who saves every cent, or spends grudgingly.
Serve him as a grudging master, As a penurious niggard of his wealth.

n. Miser, curmudgeon, churl, hunks, lickpenny, skinflint, scrimp, screw, mean fellow, sordid wretch. II. a. Parsimonious, miserly, covetous, sparing, stinted, niggardly.
Moby Thesaurus

Silas Marner, cheapskate, cheeseparing, churl, close, curmudgeon, grudging, mean, mingy, miser, miserly, muckworm, niggardly, penny pincher, penny-pinching, penurious, pinchfist, pinchgut, pinchpenny, save-all, scrooge, shabby, skinflint, sordid, stiff, tight, [b]tightwad
[/b]
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ZACHIE: 7:45pm On May 25, 2013
See more:

niggard definitions

Webster's 1828 Dictionary

NIGGARD, n. [straight, narrow; to haggle, to be sordidly parsimonious; exhibiting analogies similar to those of wretch, wreck and haggle.] A miser; a person meanly close and covetous; a sordid wretch who saves every cent, or spends grudgingly.
Serve him as a grudging master, As a penurious niggard of his wealth.

n. Miser, curmudgeon, churl, hunks, lickpenny, skinflint, scrimp, screw, mean fellow, sordid wretch. II. a. Parsimonious, miserly, covetous, sparing, stinted, niggardly.
Moby Thesaurus

Silas Marner, cheapskate, cheeseparing, churl, close, curmudgeon, grudging, mean, mingy, miser, miserly, muckworm, niggardly, penny pincher, penny-pinching, penurious, pinchfist, pinchgut, pinchpenny, save-all, scrooge, shabby, skinflint, sordid, stiff, tight, [b]tightwad
[/b]
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 3:54pm On May 26, 2013
Always wanted to make this a discipline somehow i just cant continue.....well bigups to all @home.........

My word too...nt a pronunciation freak so just the word...

ENCEPHALALGIA....(med) pain in the head...or headache....

Becareful where u use it, else u just might be hated upon
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 27, 2013
ortopazz: Always wanted to make this a discipline somehow i just cant continue.....well bigups to all @home.........

My word too...nt a pronunciation freak so just the word...

ENCEPHALALGIA....(med) pain in the head...or headache....

Becareful where u use it, else u just might be hated upon

cheesy cheesy cheesy @ the bolded, but the word 'encephalalgia' doesn't sound offensive na grin grin it sounds more like a disorder/illness to me.

You are welcomed ortopazz... We are delighted to have you here smiley smiley
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 3:31pm On May 27, 2013
sentient
adjective

1. Responsive to or conscious of sense impressions
2. Having or showing understanding or knowledge : aware
3. Finely sensitive in perception or feeling

USAGE:
Both parties to the agreement must be
sentient of the risks involved.

You may have guessed that "sentient" has something to do with the senses. The initial spelling "sent-" or "sens-" is often a giveaway for such a meaning. A "sentient" being is one who perceives and responds to sensations of whatever kind—sight, hearing, touch, taste, or smell. "Sentient" ultimately comes from the Latin verb "sentire," which means "to feel" or "to perceive" and is related to the noun "sensus," meaning "sense." A few related English words are "sentiment" and "sentimental," which have to do with emotions, and "sensual," which relates to more physical "sensations.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 5:00pm On May 28, 2013
kofsy:

cheesy cheesy cheesy @ the bolded, but the word 'encephalalgia' doesn't sound offensive na grin grin it sounds more like a disorder/illness to me.

being that just where headache would have been used, u go all patrick obiahagbon on em'..lol
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 5:03pm On May 28, 2013
kofsy:

being that just where headache would have been used, u go all patrick obiahagbon on em'..lol

am gr8ful to be here lyk seriously... Howz ur reading pal...jus hope itz just books that is discussed...u knw,,,,jus checking..winkwinkcheesy
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 7:55pm On May 31, 2013
Word: dudgeon

noun
A fit or state of indignation

USAGE:
 The customer stormed out of the store in high dudgeon after the manager refused to give her a refund for her purchase.

Hollywood's critics are in high
dudgeon. The motion-picture industry has sunk into a moral morass, they say, one that threatens our national self-understanding and traduces simple decency.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 7:56pm On May 31, 2013
ortopazz:

am gr8ful to be here lyk seriously... Howz ur reading pal...jus hope itz just books that is discussed...u knw,,,,jus checking..winkwinkcheesy

Loool your mind is cankered with dirts cheesy cheesy funny enough we have not held any 'co-study' session grin grin
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 12:01am On Jun 01, 2013
Kosfy....dnt knw what u talking abou...

Buh my word for the day is

BOWLEDRIZE........remove indecent or offensive material from (text)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Those Days In Command Sec School Ipaja / Souloho19 Wins July 5k Award / Whats The Most Interesting Novel You've Ever Read?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.