Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab (10277 Views)

Word Of The Day / Not Sure Of Your Writing Skills? Post Here And We Can Help Each Other Improve / Join A Writing Group, Improve Your Writing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by knotty(m): 12:59pm On Jun 20, 2013
subscribing
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jun 20, 2013
knotty: subscribing
Welcome to the club knotty... smiley

Do well by dropping your first word soonwink it's gonna be fun cheesy
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 22, 2013
fen \fen\,

noun:
1. low land covered wholly or partially with water; boggy land; a marsh.
2. the Fens, a marshy region W and S of The Wash, in E England.

USAGE
It was already very ancient; its foundation had been laid by Roman soldiery; in the lapse of ages much of it had sunk, and every here and there, for a few hundred yards, it lay submerged below the stagnant waters of the fen.

We could do nothing but get drenched while the earth spat mud around us and the fen steamed and boiled.

ETYMOLOGY
Fen came from the Old English term
fenn, and ultimately comes from the Proto-Indo-European root pen- meaning "swamp."
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jun 22, 2013
This house is dry sad sad sad

Ortopazz, chuksemi, zaachie et al where are you guys na sad sad you guys shouldn't leave me all by myself... I can't do it alone *sobs*
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Chuksemi(m): 8:53pm On Jun 22, 2013
My word for the day

ca-pri-cious=showing sudden changes in attitude or behaviour
or changing suddenly and quickly

usage=tony is capricious and difficult to please
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Chuksemi(m): 8:54pm On Jun 22, 2013
Aunty kofsy...we are all here with you...
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 1:18am On Jun 23, 2013
Chuksemi: Aunty kofsy...we are all here with you...

Awwwwww grin grin Thanks dear

Let's do it again tomorrow and pls let's try as much as possible to be consistent... This days you guys are capricious cheesy
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by knotty(m): 7:07am On Jun 23, 2013
Matching Quote
"Truth, but not the whole truth, must be the invariable principle of every man who hath either religion, honour, or prudence. Those who violate it, may be cunning, but they are not able. Lies and perfidy are the refuge of fools and cowards."
-Philip Dormer Stanhope Chesterfield, 4th Earl

Perfidy: easy to pronounce \ˈpər-fə-dē\
the quality or state of being faithless or disloyal : treachery
an act or an instance of disloyalty

Synonyms
disloyalty, faithlessness, falseness, falsity, inconstancy, perfidiousness, infidelity, unfaithfulness

Perfidy is easy to be confused with Theft. Please, do not mix the 2 words.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by simplifier(f): 1:46pm On Jun 27, 2013
Querulous
Expressing a complaint, carping
usage
Kofsy gave a querulous comment about her friend's posting more than one word a day
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 9:27pm On Jun 27, 2013
kofsy: This house is dry sad sad sad

Ortopazz, chuksemi, zaachie et al where are you guys na sad sad you guys shouldn't leave me all by myself... I can't do it alone *sobs*

abeg o! Stop making querulous comments abou being abadoned, we are here 4u! ''gives her an hanki, to wipe her tearz,''
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 9:09am On Jun 28, 2013
simplifier: Querulous
Expressing a complaint, carping
usage
Kofsy gave a querulous comment about her friend's posting more than one word a day
cheesy cheesy cheesy kofsy would stop whining if ortopazz stops ignoring the rule cheesy cheesy cheesy

Simplifier, welcome to the club dear! *hugs

1 Like

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 9:19am On Jun 28, 2013
ortopazz:

abeg o! Stop making querulous comments abou being abadoned, we are here 4u! ''gives her an hanki, to wipe her tearz,''

*batting eyelashes* Lemme jor... Just post your word for the day already tongue tongue tongue
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 9:26am On Jun 28, 2013
jerkwater\JERK-waw-ter\  

noun
1. Remote and unimportant

2. Trivial

I'm stranded in some jerkwater town in the middle of nowhere," said Ortopazz when he called me to tell me that the car's engine had blown.
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by log1(m): 4:38pm On Jun 29, 2013
vilify
to speak ill of; defame; slander
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by log1(m): 11:42am On Jun 30, 2013
axiomatic (n. form: axiom)
(adj) taken as a given; posessing
self-evident truth
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 10:09am On Jul 02, 2013
Ratiocinate - to think or argue logically and methodically

from latin ratíõcínåri to calculate, from ratio, to reason

1 Like

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 10:24am On Jul 02, 2013
ortopazz: Ratiocinate - to think or argue logically and methodically

from latin ratíõcínåri to calculate, from ratio, to reason

Getting into kosfy heart got me ratiocinating!
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Chuksemi(m): 9:30pm On Jul 02, 2013
Word for the day,
dum-dum:-/d^md^m/noun,a bullet that spreads out and breaks into many pieces when it hits somebody,causing serious injuries.
Usage:-why should you load your gun with a dumdum? or,femi loves keeping a collection of used dumdum bullets.

Finally::-aunty kofsy,uncle ortopazz,uncle log and knotty e.t.c,where are you guys?
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 11:31pm On Jul 02, 2013
Chuksemi: Word for the day,
dum-dum:-/d^md^m/noun,a bullet that spreads out and breaks into many pieces when it hits somebody,causing serious injuries.
Usage:-why should you load your gun with a dumdum? or,femi loves keeping a collection of used dumdum bullets.

Finally::-aunty kofsy,uncle ortopazz,uncle log and knotty e.t.c,where are you guys?
[color=#000099][/color]

oga Chuks, u dear aunt, has reprimanded me frm posting more than once a day, am stitching to that!
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 04, 2013
*Catwalks into thread*
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 04, 2013
Chuksemi: Word for the day,

[color=#000099][/color]

Loool I'm here dear! I'm sorry I've been kinda busy... Glad to be back... *dum-dum* grin grin grin a good word you've got there cheesy the spelling and the the way it sounds is kinda funny...

Don't mind ortopazz... He's obsessed with this thread, he's only pretending. I'll get him back in wink
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 04, 2013
ortopazz:

oga Chuks, u dear aunt, has reprimanded me frm posting more than once a day, am stitching to that!

Hey you! Get your ass back in here *straight face*

Oya soweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey wink wink come back and start posting na sad sad Just stick to the one word per day rule and I'll will happy smiley Oya come lemme hug you *spreads arm*
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 04, 2013
Shola I sight you... Good afternoon. How is your GRE prep going? Have you done your registration? What date in the month of august are you looking at? We have missed you here! Hope all is well?
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by sholay2011(m): 5:10pm On Jul 04, 2013
kofsy: Shola I sight you... Good afternoon. How is your GRE prep going? Have you done your registration? What date in the month of august are you looking at? We have missed you here! Hope all is well?
Kofsy hw re u? I am very sorry for not being active here...forgive me.

I am struggling at home to read from my laptop oh...but all is well. Yeah, I did my registration through an agent (MET) in Akure and my exam is August. No specific date yet.

I would try dropping a word for the day henceforth.

For today: Word: Austere (Adjective) It means extremely simple, dull or not extravagant.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 04, 2013
incredulous - feeling that something is hard to believe
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 5:24pm On Jul 04, 2013
kofsy:

Oya soweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey wink wink come back and start posting na sad sad Just stick to the one word per day rule and I'll will happy smiley Oya come lemme hug you *spreads arm*

*rushes in, checks himself, reeking of D&G anthology, (thinks aloud, she will love it!) embraces her. Hmmm, I gotta a feeling,.... he screamz*
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 5:41pm On Jul 04, 2013
Oga Sholay welcum back.. I think if u try to put in ur words here, it might spur u up 2 do more, just my tots anyway!.

My word

OASIS
(1) A fertile patch in a desert
occuring where the water
table approaches or reaches the ground surface.

(2) a place of peace, safety or happiness in the midst of trouble or difficulty
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Chuksemi(m): 5:53pm On Jul 04, 2013
Word for the day,loaddddding
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Chuksemi(m): 5:56pm On Jul 04, 2013
Uncle ortopaz nd aunty kofsy,am watching u quys o,no side atractions pls.#jxt jealous# angry
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 05, 2013
PWN

1. An act of dominating an opponent.

2. Great, ingenious; applied to methods and objects.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 12:52pm On Jul 06, 2013
jidegirl12:
PWN

1. An act of dominating an opponent.

2. Great, ingenious; applied to methods and objects.

pronunciation pls?
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 1:07pm On Jul 06, 2013
oga chuks. .. . Ur casting very disturbing accusations!, . . (me likey) grin ; grin

my word

BALDERDASH .. Stu.pid or illogical talk, senseless rubbish!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Souloho19 Wins July 5k Award / Those Days In Command Sec School Ipaja / Whats The Most Interesting Novel You've Ever Read?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.