Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,634 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? (1209 Views)

Why I'm Optimistic About Nigeria's Long-term Economic Future - Fred Mckinney / Why I'm Optimistic About Nigeria's Long-term Economic Future / How Much Does Nigeria Make Daily From Petroleum? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by kevd2: 2:56pm On Apr 18, 2008
Please , Nairalanders if Nigeria's oil wells get's dried up today, what economic relevance will Nigeria have in the global Community, considering the fact that our leaders are not planning and more than half of the country is simply depending on allocations from the Federal purse.Intellectuals in the house, this is one is for you please.
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Apr 18, 2008
As for the easterners; alot are going on in the trade and industrial sector. Go to Nnewi and see for yourself.
As for other parts of the country; famine farming would do.
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by 4Play(m): 5:35pm On Apr 18, 2008
Neither oil supply nor oil demand will dry up all of sudden.There is plenty of time for diversification.This is where your foreign reserves comes in handy.It gives you a cushion to mitigate the effects of a precipitous fall in oil prices.

I guess when oil stops being the most significant source of our revenue,it won't be because supply dried up but instead,because demand has tanked.As the ex-Saudi Oil Minister aptly noted,''the Stone Age didn’t end for lack of stone, and the oil age will end long before the world runs out of oil.’’
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by bawomolo(m): 6:29pm On Apr 18, 2008
there's tourism, coal, fishing, IT and many other opportunities.
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Apr 18, 2008
419 obt
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by Vallo57(m): 8:10am On Apr 19, 2008
nuzo:

As for the easterners; alot are going on in the trade and industrial sector. Go to Nnewi and see for yourself.
As for other parts of the country; famine farming would do.

Dude, keep deluding yourself. As if the east is the only place trade and industrial sector are booming. The last time I checked
places below the Niger river are experiencing growth as never before in the History of Nigeria.
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by Backslider(m): 6:26pm On Apr 19, 2008
There is alot I am currently in Nigeria and I am leaving soon back.

I think things have changed a bit but there is more to do
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by lucabrasi(m): 6:31pm On Apr 19, 2008
Vallo57:

Dude, keep deluding yourself. As if the east is the only place trade and industrial sector are booming. The last time I checked
places below the Niger river are experiencing growth as never before in the History of Nigeria.

agree wid you,and there are several untapped potentials in other parts of nigeria as well, theres manufacturing too,and farming in large scale can be as lucrative if not more than just the industrial sector btw there are industries in all parts of nigeria and not just the east
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by mavtrevor(m): 6:37pm On Apr 19, 2008
Do we have to state problems alone? I think if Nigeria can do what Saudi Arabia is doing now by partnering with world known IT firms and use the money we make from oil now to build and nurture the youths of this country in IT, i dont think that with the oil wells drying that we'll have anything to cry for, imagine countries that dont have oil like us like india, they are making living from IT, so whats different from Nigeria, we can borrow their ideas and invest today in the future of tomorrow, our major problem is that we vote in leaders who cant see the future.
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by angel101(f): 8:00pm On Apr 19, 2008
plenty.
agriculture, forestry, tourism,, the list goes on and on. we would only need to think outside the box
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by naijaking1: 8:22pm On Apr 19, 2008
Oil will become less relivant before it runs out. When it happens, naija would understand that their most important natural resources is PEOPLE.
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by lucabrasi(m): 8:55pm On Apr 19, 2008
naijaking1:

Oil will become less relivant before it runs out. When it happens, naija would understand that their most important natural resources is PEOPLE.

i dis agree slightly,after oil theres lng which we also have an abundance of
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by amaikama(m): 11:19am On Apr 24, 2008
In my opinion, nothing!! the furture is blink as a dead end. cry

All what nairalanders mentioned here are just mere talk say. They have forgoten even with the state of the oil, do we still have it in aboundance? what makes you so sure we would all have food to eat without oil? Oh! you all are looking to the resarve (dollars and pounds) stashed away by our greedy leaders. Hmm!!! please think again.
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by almondjoy(f): 1:44pm On Apr 24, 2008
419 galactica and kidnapping of mulatto missionaries burned by the tropical sun-----all to catch anything that resembles Oyinbo for sure! kiss
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by wendymanda: 5:41am On Apr 26, 2008
Apart from oil our other economic features is our government robbing us blind. There is money involved somewhere in that.
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by newspapers: 11:22pm On Aug 16, 2014
Some might say that the future of Nigeria is slim but its a collective responsibility - http://www.divanaija.com.ng/naija-past-future-can-center-hold-michael/
Re: What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? by BishopMagic: 11:32pm On Aug 16, 2014
Aregbe Odorless FuFu.

I see Osun being the next Rivers once we start trucking this stuff across Africa and shipping tons of it overseas.

(1) (Reply)

News: GEJ Sacks Chief Of Staff (Mike Oghiakome) / Fresh Crises Hit Rivers State - Lives Lost / How Can I Become A Pdp Delegate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.