Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,215 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? (1826 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / Ganja Culture- Do You Smoke Marijuana? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? by AkedeOba(m): 2:25pm On Apr 20, 2008
Ask questions about language and culture at Yorubaland .How is Yoruba culture observed in the place where you live ? Tell others what you know. Be part of this deep cultural forum. Visit www.yorubaland.org
Re: How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? by SexxyNaija(f): 2:47pm On Apr 20, 2008
I know that I dated a Yoruba man, and from what it seems Yoruba people are very united. But to the point that they seem to be very cocky. Im Edo and I respect all cultures, but damn, him and his friends were representing Yoruba people as
* If your not Yoruba, they dont respect you or your culture
* They sit and talk for hours in their language while you just stare into space, not very inclusive
* They have a problem opening up to other cultures and types of people
* They think very highly of themselves, which is good, but they also think everyone else is NOT worthy

Ok, I know that sounds biased, well I need you Yoruba people to help me to understand the culture a little more. Because right now I am generalizing based on these Yoruba people that I have met. And I HAVE MET A HELL OF A LOT. So with all due respect please correct me, tell me what your culture is ABOUT!
Re: How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? by AkedeOba(m): 3:34pm On Apr 20, 2008
SexxyNaija , I sincerely hope your question is honest . The truth is that Yoruba is almost a "religion" . You will find fifth generation Yoruba people living in South America and the West Indies more difficult to handle than those that came from Nigeria. To them , their Yoruba is very serious business . Yoruba is such a deep culture that you can never find the beginning or the end of it .Enough of the introduction however, if you're serious do go ask serious questions at www.yorubaland.org
Re: How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? by MCUsman(m): 4:00pm On Apr 20, 2008
I have always seen the Yoruba people as great, reasons

1. I admired thier quest for education

2. I admired thier Liberal views

3. I admired the way they respect thier elders, it is unmatchable anywhere in Nigeria

4. They still maitained thier culture in respective of where they are

5. They have made Nigeria proud more than any other tribe, in area of health (medical doctors), sport.
Re: How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? by Dreloaded(f): 4:06pm On Apr 20, 2008
SexxyNaija:

I know that I dated a Yoruba man, and from what it seems Yoruba people are very united. But to the point that they seem to be very cocky. I'm Edo and I respect all cultures, but damn, him and his friends were representing Yoruba people as
* If your not Yoruba, they don't respect you or your culture
* They sit and talk for hours in their language while you just stare into space, not very inclusive
* They have a problem opening up to other cultures and types of people
* They think very highly of themselves, which is good, but they also think everyone else is NOT worthy

Ok, I know that sounds biased, well I need you Yoruba people to help me to understand the culture a little more. Because right now I am generalizing based on these Yoruba people that I have met. And I HAVE MET A HELL OF A LOT. So with all due respect please correct me, tell me what your culture is ABOUT!

1. Not true.
2. We do this if the person we are insulting is right in front of us tongue seriously though if your guy did this, it's because he's selfish not because he's Yoruba. That's kind of mean to leave someone out of the loop like that
3. Dont believe that is true or what eactly do you mean by "opening to other cuktures", if it's food, maybe but that's just me.
4. You might find those but I can name 2 more tribes who are worse in that aspect.

anyway from the looks of things seems like you didnt have that great a boyfriend in general
Re: How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? by SexxyNaija(f): 5:08pm On Apr 20, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I honestly was not trying to be mean or anything. I consider myself a lover of all cultures. I have met Igbo people, Hausa, Calabra, name all I have gone and met with them. I do not wish to disrespect the Yoruba culture, I simply just wanted to know if this is something that is cultural (like you don't know your doing it), or it is just unfortunate that I met "that particular" group of people.

I love all Nigerian people and by me saying that i met alot of different types, I wanted to inform you that out of those people, the ones that are the most seclusive to me have been Yoruba people.

I know for a fact that not everyone must be like this, that is my whole point of questioning and asking, maybe I am doing something to disrespect the culture that i don't know that I am doing. I was born in the US., but Ive been told that I am highly respectful of elders, I bend when I see elders, I have upheld an amount of respect for ALL PEOPLE. But when dealing with Nigerians, the most hostile for me have been Yoruba people. So what I am saying is, is I need help understanding  your culture, so that I wont judge everyone based on the people I have met that claim to REPRESENT to the fullest.

D-reloaded, I think you are correct by all means. I'm sorry if I sounded biased, I didnt mean to come off like that at all. Just a miscommunication.
Re: How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? by Dreloaded(f): 7:17pm On Apr 20, 2008
what exactly is the "greeting" process for Edo people?
Re: How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? by SexxyNaija(f): 7:52pm On Apr 20, 2008
The introduction (marraige) is the same I believe.
Greeting as far as what?
If you mean, when I see elders, I kneel before them.
Re: How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? by Dreloaded(f): 7:58pm On Apr 20, 2008
i dont mean you. I mean in gneral is it something Edo people do when greeting elders?
Re: How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? by SexxyNaija(f): 8:03pm On Apr 20, 2008
We kneel and say a greeting "Dome se" to an elder man and there is a greeting for women as well. Some even bend their head. Thats all I can tell you hun.
Re: How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? by Dreloaded(f): 8:05pm On Apr 20, 2008
ah ok. that's nice to know smiley
Re: How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? by uspry1(f): 12:40am On Apr 21, 2008
@poster

Nice forum you have at yorubaland.org! But somewhat confusion about your profile on both forum: NL and yorubaland! angry

The best luck on your forum.
Re: How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? by ztyle(m): 12:56am On Apr 21, 2008
Confused of what Mrs.Moderator?

@Topic
Nice Forum, plz how did u upgrade it? i really like to know how u do it undecided
Re: How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? by uspry1(f): 1:22am On Apr 21, 2008
ztyle:

Confused of what Mrs.Moderator?

@Topic
Nice Forum, plz how did u upgrade it? i really like to know how u do it undecided
@ztyle
Oh no again, you keep call me "MRS."!!! I not even married but single divorced mother!!

The poster stated different age on both forum profile. On Nairaland profile he says 37 but on his own forum profile, yorubaland, he says 48.

What Does It Take To Set UP A Forum?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-128340.0.html

Both Nairaland and yorubaland use the same forum management software installed on their own web page: SMF (Simple Machine Forum, open-source Forum).
Re: How Much Of Yoruba Culture Do You Know ? by Tonim(f): 9:14am On Apr 21, 2008
D-reloaded:

anyway from the looks of things seems like you didnt have that great a boyfriend in general

My sister, you have hit it right on the nail !!

@SexxyNaija, the yoruba guy you were dating didn't like you that was why you were treated as such. I'm sure you
got this treatment towards the end of your relationship. Either that or that's just how he treats women
regardless of them being yoruba or not.

I also noticed that your first post on this forum was specifically on this thread. Welcome to Nairaland.

(1) (Reply)

Why Babalawos Never Do Money Ritual? / Photo: Ancient Benin Sculptures In British Museum / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.