Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,090 members, 7,821,768 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? (3343 Views)

CNN Boss Flew To Kenya To Apologize Over Terrorism Slur / Mele Kyari Facts - Before You Call Buhari A Tribal Bigot / Sony Ps3 Finally Pulls The "nigerian Millionaire" Slur (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by LagosStar: 5:10pm On May 12, 2013
Is ‘Aboki’ A Racial Slur?

Lately on Nairaland I found out the moderators especially the mechanic moderator of Politics section Ikenna ban people who refer to Hausa/Fulanis as Aboki. A number of my friends on Nairaland have complained to me.

This is the 1st time am told the word is offensive, unfortunately not from someone from the North but from Ikenna a champion Igbo course.

I asked my Hausa neigbour here in Lagos, what is wrong with calling Hausas Aboki, and he told me there is nothing absolutely wrong with it, that aboki means “my friend” and he calls all his friends either Aboki or by their first names. There are at least 4 hausa men with kiosks on my street all I call Aboki whenever I want to buy things from them and never has any of them complained to me that calling them Abok is offensive. I also served in Sokoto state, and I always called the Hausas around where I lived and served Aboki and never was I told to stop calling them Aboki.

So I don’t know what informed Ikenna’s decision to ban people from using the word Aboki. Or he is just being his overzealous self or making it look like he is seriously fighting for all tribes while I know he sole aim is to ban people who call Igbo Ibo against Seun’s decision that he cannot ban the use of such word.

Nairalanders, especially those from the North; is it offensive to call Hausa/Fulanis Aboki?

1 Like

Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by Pennywise(m): 5:28pm On May 12, 2013
Lagos-Star:

Or perhaps you mean-'Is Aboki a tribal slur'?
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by ClitorialDept: 5:29pm On May 12, 2013
I tire ohh. Ikenna banned me for using it.

Aboki as I understand translates to My Friend in Hausa and over the years it has been used by non-speaking hausas to address northerners (both politely or derogatory).
Very soon the will add alhaji or Eze or Sule as a racial slur.

daft1
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by ClitorialDept: 5:31pm On May 12, 2013
Pennywise:

Or perhaps you mean-'Is Aboki a tribal slur'?

Mods determined it as a Racial Slur, I am serving a ban because of this silly categorization.
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by ckkris: 5:32pm On May 12, 2013
Is nyamiri a racial slur?

1 Like

Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by Paschal007: 5:35pm On May 12, 2013
What's the name of your moniker that was banned? angry
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by ClitorialDept: 5:37pm On May 12, 2013
Paschal007: What's the name of your moniker that was banned? angry

Are you a MOD? do you want to ban me again? embarassed embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by LagosStar: 5:38pm On May 12, 2013
ckkris: Is nyamiri a racial slur?

What is the meaning of nyamiri?

Clitorial.Dept.:
I tire ohh. Ikenna banned me for using it.

Aboki as I understand translates to My Friend in Hausa and over the years it has been used by non-speaking hausas to address northerners (both politely or derogatory).
Very soon the will add alhaji or Eze or Sule as a racial slur.

daft1

Aboki was never a derogatory word. How is calling a people what they call themselves derogatory?

If anyone finds it offensive, certaily not the Hausas I have met so far.
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by tenisuga(f): 5:45pm On May 12, 2013
No. Aboki is not a tribal slur or a derogatory word. Anyone who says it is must be daft.
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by IleIfe2(m): 5:49pm On May 12, 2013
Aboki means Friend, Ore
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by DerideGull(m): 5:50pm On May 12, 2013
Nairaland management is a miniature replica of Nigeria and its government. It is a laughable to watch. Why do you think Nigerians perceive erections of concrete structures as development?
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by LagosStar: 5:57pm On May 12, 2013
Ile-Ife:
Aboki means Friend, Ore

True.

My friends and I often call each other Ore (friend). I cannot imagine Yorubas finding it offensive to be called Ores because a lot of us call each other Ore. If anyone meant it derogatory, certainly it is that person's problem because to be called Ores (Friends) is a positive thing.
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 12, 2013
The clueless mechanic is on a one-man mission to superglue the massive cracks in the Nigeria political ecosysytem, easily forgetting that Tribal Awareness is at an all time high at the moment.

Its every tribe for itself at the moment, yet the mechanic thinks Nigeria is a gasket he can just pour sealant on to fix.

Ironically, the same 'de-tribalised' panelbeater is the one championing the Ibo-not-Igbo cause.

Where i'm from, the technical term for such a clueless and unintelligent person is Olodo.

De-tribalise that.

2 Likes

Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by ClitorialDept: 6:03pm On May 12, 2013
jackbauersballs: The clueless mechanic is on a one-man mission to superglue the massive cracks in the Nigeria political ecosysytem, easily forgetting that Tribal Awareness is at an all time high at the moment.

Its every tribe for itself at the moment, yet the mechanic thinks Nigeria is a gasket he can just pour sealant on to fix.

Ironically, the same 'de-tribalised' panelbeater is the one championing the Ibo-not-Igbo cause.

Where i'm from, the technical term for such a clueless and unintelligent person is Olodo.

De-tribalise that.

Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 12, 2013
jackbauersballs: The clueless mechanic is on a one-man mission to superglue the massive cracks in the Nigeria political ecosysytem, easily forgetting that Tribal Awareness is at an all time high at the moment.

De-tribalise that.

It was nice knowing this ID cry
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by Nobody: 6:07pm On May 12, 2013
I still want to understand how 'Ibo' is a tribal slur.

Smh
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by bamuhanya: 6:09pm On May 12, 2013
@op we find it offensive from a lot of Southerner. Simply because is used to describe or degrade a person.Just try calling a MB person aboki or mallam!The first means friend and the later could pass for Mr. Or teacher. The people you call such answer Because they are force considering the environment or the see it as a norm with you n tolerate it.The word Aboki or Mallam use to be a polite courtesy in the past and it maybe amongst Northerners especially hausa speakers.Now adays people use it as a tribal slur. To mean something its not.How can someone be insulting you in one sentence and refering to you as his friend.It could serve as friend if the intentions are honest but without doubt that is not the case in a lot of ways with people from the south.So moderators are on track and correct in this regards.I also hope you try this one day.Call the person you call Aboki with his actual name and see his body language.He would be more appreciative.Moderattors position is right and its good they sanction users.Its no different from calling someone Boko-haram which means education is forbiding! Other words include awusa,almajiri,goro-chewing and a lot more.what's stop you from saying hausa people, Igala people, northern people MB people or just people.

8 Likes

Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by Nobody: 6:11pm On May 12, 2013
bamu_hanya: @op we find it offensive from a lot of Southerner. Simply because is used to describe or degrade a person.Just try calling a MB person aboki or mallam!The first means friend and the later could pass for Mr. Or teacher. The people you call such answer Because they are force considering the environment or the see it as a norm with you n tolerate it.The word Aboki or Mallam use to be a polite courtesy in the past and it maybe amongst Northerners especially hausa speakers.Now adays people use it as a tribal slur. To mean something its not.How can someone be insulting you in one sentence and refering to you as his friend.It could serve as friend if the intentions are honest but without doubt that is not the case in a lot of ways with people from the south.So moderators are on track and correct in this regards.I also hope you try this one day.Call the person you call Aboki with his actual name and see his body language.He would be more appreciative.Moderattors position is right and its good they sanction users.Its no different from calling someone Boko-haram which means education is forbiding! Other words include awusa,almajiri,goro-chewing and a lot more.what's stop you from saying hausa people, Igala people, northern people MB people or just people.

True. Just like the "ngga" term

2 Likes

Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by ekoilee: 6:20pm On May 12, 2013
Aboki is of course an Hausa word for Male friend.

This is basically tribalistic people deploying tribalism, ignorance and illiteracy to fight perceived acts tribalism.

Too many Nigerians are really half backed Nigerians with lack of relevant knowledge about their own country. This level of up front ignorance you expect to see elsewhere and not by Nigerians or a Nigerian forum..
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by bamuhanya: 6:31pm On May 12, 2013
ckkris: Is nyamiri a racial slur?
That too could pass for a tribal slur. As is a corruption of what the Igbos use to suggest give me water. Nyem miri! That's if I got it right.I don't like using it.

For others suggesting in yoruba Ore means friend and you honestly mean that then call the next hausa man you see Ore.If they bother to ask, you could tell them it means friend.That would suggest you see them as equals.Simple! If your intent is not to imply a down trodden from the north.better still the persons name or what you call all others around that you choose not to apply there dialect in suggesting friend.call them shop keeper,shop owner and in the case of NL the individuals monicker would do I guess.

1 Like

Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by MrAlfa: 6:32pm On May 12, 2013
No hausa has ever complained of being called "aboki".
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by MrAlfa: 6:34pm On May 12, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
I still want to understand how 'Ibo' is a tribal slur.

Smh

Same with offemmanu! Fuckin' beats me.

1 Like

Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by Nobody: 6:37pm On May 12, 2013
MrAlfa:

Same with offemmanu! Fuckin' beats me.

Nope, not the same. wink

What/who is fcukking and beating you on this glorious Sunday?
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by bamuhanya: 6:39pm On May 12, 2013
MrAlfa: No hausa has ever complained of being called "aboki".
You think so? Then how did the moderators come to that conclusion?Its offensive guy! Stop pretending and you know it.
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by YorubaPolitic: 6:41pm On May 12, 2013
Lagos-Star:

Lately on Nairaland I found out the moderators especially the mechanic moderator of Politics section Ikenna ban people who refer to Hausa/Fulanis as Aboki. A number of my friends on Nairaland have complained to me.

This is the 1st time am told the word is offensive, unfortunately not from someone from the North but from Ikenna a champion Igbo course.

I asked my Hausa neigbour here in Lagos, what is wrong with calling Hausas Aboki, and he told me there is nothing absolutely wrong with it, that aboki means “my friend” and he calls all his friends either Aboki or by their first names. There are at least 4 hausa men with kiosks on my street all I call Aboki whenever I want to buy things from them and never has any of them complained to me that calling them Abok is offensive. I also served in Sokoto state, and I always called the Hausas around where I lived and served Aboki and never was I told to stop calling them Aboki.

So I don’t know what informed Ikenna’s decision to ban people from using the word Aboki. Or he is just being his overzealous self or making it look like he is seriously fighting for all tribes while I know he sole aim is to ban people who call Igbo Ibo against Seun’s decision that he cannot ban the use of such word.

Nairalanders, especially those from the North; is it offensive to call Hausa/Fulanis Aboki?

hey Aboki,

Nairaland has a new expectation.

Forget what goes on in your community and society....detach yourself from the reality of your mundane truth and just live by the rules here and you will be fine to participate.

Aboki in hausa means friend but moreso its like saying "hey Mr" or "hey dude". I dont know how any of that could be offending to anyone.....but a certain tribe, the ib.o tribe are hyper sensitive and have a thin skin for anything that carry a label, derogatory or not.

This action is a blanket act of stewpidity from a dense ikenna who has attached his ego to the duty of moderation. Im here to bring distress to his heart. Im here to wear him down and embarass his efforts. I advocate truth and the truth is we dont want a separation between the nigerian politics and the nairaland politics........period!

1 Like

Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by Rossikk(m): 6:41pm On May 12, 2013
@poster, you mean an Ethnic slur.
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by dayokanu(m): 6:42pm On May 12, 2013
Soon "Nna" would be a tribal slur.

As in Omo Nna
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by YorubaPolitic: 6:43pm On May 12, 2013
bamu_hanya: @op we find it offensive from a lot of Southerner. Simply because is used to describe or degrade a person.Just try calling a MB person aboki or mallam!The first means friend and the later could pass for Mr. Or teacher. The people you call such answer Because they are force considering the environment or the see it as a norm with you n tolerate it.The word Aboki or Mallam use to be a polite courtesy in the past and it maybe amongst Northerners especially hausa speakers.Now adays people use it as a tribal slur. To mean something its not.How can someone be insulting you in one sentence and refering to you as his friend.It could serve as friend if the intentions are honest but without doubt that is not the case in a lot of ways with people from the south.So moderators are on track and correct in this regards.I also hope you try this one day.Call the person you call Aboki with his actual name and see his body language.He would be more appreciative.Moderattors position is right and its good they sanction users.Its no different from calling someone Boko-haram which means education is forbiding! Other words include awusa,almajiri,goro-chewing and a lot more.what's stop you from saying hausa people, Igala people, northern people MB people or just people.

......quit!

while almajiri may be offensive, ABOKI is not in anyway offensive.
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by Localamos(m): 6:57pm On May 12, 2013
In communication, we have at least two parties: the transmitter and the recepient. The transmitter articulates his thought or intent and encodes same through a medium (verbal, body kinetics, writing,etc) and passes it to the recepeint. This is done with the expectation that the recepient clearly understands what was transmitted, and a response will be made from the recepient.

The message being originated may be well received or not -- and the response may be as expected or otherwise.

The word 'Aboki' whether transmitted out of a 'sincere' intent or not, may be construed as offensive by the recepient. The word literally means Friend in Hausa, but it is also a generic appellation used by other tribes to refer to Hausas. This appellation is often used with derrogatory intent, which may illicite negative reactions.

Hence, there should be caution when or where it is being used. If you want to refer to an individual from the northern part of the country, then try to avoid the 'A' word which is ambiguous and could easily be misconstrued for insult.

3 Likes

Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by bamuhanya: 7:17pm On May 12, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

True. Just like the "ngga" term
Good example! Is like the word Nigger!
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by bamuhanya: 7:22pm On May 12, 2013
YorubaPolitic:

......quit!

while almajiri may be offensive, ABOKI is not in anyway offensive.
Sir it is! Certain people silence may not suggest approval.deep down they are not.especially the way is put by most southern folks.
Re: Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? by Demdem(m): 9:09pm On May 12, 2013
tenisuga: No. Aboki is not a tribal slur or a derogatory word. Anyone who says it is must be daft.

Exactly. Was also banned because of this and still waiting for him to tell me which rule number I broke. I use the term Aboki everyday even in my private life. He is just being ignorant.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fashola Commissions Power Project. PICS.. / Fani-kayode Blasts Jonathan Over Reply To Obasanjo's Letter / Who Provoked Our President By DELE MOMODU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.