Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Nigerian Economy; The North-south Regional Disparity - Rencap - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Economy; The North-south Regional Disparity - Rencap (3931 Views)

Nigerian Economy Records ‘Worst Week’ Since 2008 - The Cable / Fayose : Nigerian Economy May Collapse In 3 Months!! / Lagos GDP Exceeds Kenya East Africa Beefiest Economy - The Economist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Economy; The North-south Regional Disparity - Rencap by nwabobo: 6:24am On May 13, 2013
The skyscrapers that dot the financial district of Lagos (Nigeria’s financial capital) partly tell the story of the nation’s rising economic prominence as Renaissance Capital’s new report titled – Nigeria unveiled- paints a more complete picture of an economy moving at two speeds.

Data from the report reveals the stark regional disparity with a thriving South with rising income, lower unemployment and better educated citizens and a much poorer, less educated and struggling North.

Seven of the ten largest state economies are in Southern Nigeria, while the population living in Southern Nigeria is more likely to have completed primary school than its counterparts in northern Nigeria, according to the report.

Lagos State has the highest net primary school completion ratio in Nigeria, at 70.6 percent, while less than 10 percent of the populations in Adamawa, Taraba, Yobe and Bauchi in particular have completed primary school.

The same trends persist in secondary school attendance rates.

“The north-south divide in Nigeria’s school attendance rate highlights a glaring regional inequality in education attainment. Northern Nigeria’s poor education indicators are a deterrent to investors seeking skilled labour,” said the report.

“We think education levels in the South and South West are likely to spur even faster growth, as we have seen in emerging markets globally.”

The Nigerian economy expanded at an average of 7.2 percent per year for the past four years, according to International Monetary Fund (IMF) estimates.

In the same period, the size of the Nigerian economy has risen by 60 percent to become the second largest in Africa as nominal gross domestic product (GDP) rose to $273 bn at year end 2012 from $169bn in 2009.

Income per head is expected to hit $1,731 in 2013, up 7.1 percent from the 2011 level of $1,615.

The Northern States income per head of $1,414 is however lower than the national average, as most of the economic activity is taking place in the South.

Nigeria’s borrowers with operations mostly in the South of the country have led the way in Africa’s syndicated loan market in 2013, with more than $10 billion of deals signed or in the market, a sign of the booming economy south of the Niger River.

Indorama Eleme took an $800 million project finance loan in mid-February to fund a $1.2 billion green field fertiliser project, and oil and exploration company Neconde Energy marked its debut in the market with a $470 million corporate deal in early April.

Meanwhile, the Dangote group has negotiated loans of $4.25 billion from banks to build a refinery, which would be located in the southwest of Nigeria and able to process 400,000 barrels of crude a day, according to Sani Dangote, vice president of the Dangote Group, in an interview on April 17.

Most financial services institutions are concentrated in the South, according to the data, with Lagos State alone home to over a quarter of Nigeria’s financial and insurance sector workforce.

“Outside Lagos State, banking penetration rates are low, especially in the northeast of the country,” said the report.

Lagos State residents have the highest electricity supply per capita in the country, at 163 watts per capita, while Power supply per capita in the north-east states is particularly dire, at less than 20 watts per capita.

Borno State, which is home to the militant group Boko Haram, has the lowest per capita power supply in the country at seven watts.

The working-age population is also concentrated in the south, according to the data.

Southern states are more urbanised, with higher income households that have fewer children, and 55 percent or more of the population is of working age.

In the north, it is less than 50 percent.

“Households in Nigeria’s southern states are better educated and have smaller household sizes,” concludes the report.

“It is regions like this that are developing the necessary skills that we believe will position them at the forefront economically in Nigeria, and Africa, to start taking jobs from China.”

http://businessdaynigeria.com/rencap-exposes-regional-disparity-nigeria-s-economy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Economy; The North-south Regional Disparity - Rencap by dayokanu(m): 6:38am On May 13, 2013
I would be interested in an analysis of the different region n the South and not just lump everyone together as SOUTH
Re: Nigerian Economy; The North-south Regional Disparity - Rencap by boron10(m): 6:47am On May 13, 2013
The abokis have nothing to offer the economy other than bomb and gun men
Re: Nigerian Economy; The North-south Regional Disparity - Rencap by CROWE: 6:51am On May 13, 2013
dayokanu: I would be interested in an analysis of the different region n the South and not just lump everyone together as SOUTH

Lemme guess, you feel you are from a particularly distinguished part of the south and want to hear the article call out your praises more directly?
Re: Nigerian Economy; The North-south Regional Disparity - Rencap by saintneo(m): 7:15am On May 13, 2013
dayokanu: I would be interested in an analysis of the different region n the South and not just lump everyone together as SOUTH
you'll be exposed when it's done state by state. Lagos is your only glory.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Economy; The North-south Regional Disparity - Rencap by nwabobo: 7:42am On May 13, 2013

How about having the analysis done on state by state basis also including who owns what on state of origin basis?
Re: Nigerian Economy; The North-south Regional Disparity - Rencap by dayokanu(m): 7:55am On May 13, 2013
nwabobo:

How about having the analysis done on state by state basis also including who owns what on state of origin basis?

State by state is fine

I can see my state is the highest ranked that doesnt have any awoof Oil income or been a Federal Capital

https://www.nairaland.com/498954/nigerian-states-richest-poorest-ppp

and Most SW states are doing ok.

EVen Osun is doing better than most States
Re: Nigerian Economy; The North-south Regional Disparity - Rencap by nwabobo: 8:11am On May 13, 2013
dayokanu:

State by state is fine

I can see my state is the highest ranked that doesnt have any awoof Oil income or been a Federal Capital

https://www.nairaland.com/498954/nigerian-states-richest-poorest-ppp

and Most SW states are doing ok.

EVen Osun is doing better than most States

I hope you know that Borno was doing very well until people from a particular ethnic group left. Also, I take it that you are old enough to know what happened to your region's economy post June 12 (oso Abiola episode) when the same people left briefly.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Economy; The North-south Regional Disparity - Rencap by gramci: 9:56am On May 13, 2013

As if your region will survive without south south stipend
Re: Nigerian Economy; The North-south Regional Disparity - Rencap by dayokanu(m): 4:41pm On May 13, 2013
nwabobo:

I hope you know that Borno was doing very well until people from a particular ethnic group left. Also, I take it that you are old enough to know what happened to your region's economy post June 12 (oso Abiola episode) when the same people left briefly.

You mean it was some people who pushed Oyo Ogun, Ondo Osun to top of the list and cant help their hometowns in Enugu, Anambra and Ebonyi?

How pathetic
Re: Nigerian Economy; The North-south Regional Disparity - Rencap by djon78(m): 8:20pm On May 13, 2013
dayokanu:

You mean it was some people who pushed Oyo Ogun, Ondo Osun to top of the list and cant help their hometowns in Enugu, Anambra and Ebonyi?

How pathetic
my friend why do you really like strife. Do you really think that without other ethnic nationalities that your so called region will be what she is? And let me remind you that it is only a matter of time a region can overtake another region for example Akwa ibom last 5 years was nothing to write home about fast forward to presently infratructure is springing up massively, if it continues like this in the next 5 yrs ur lagos will be with outdated infrastructure wise compared with that place. far back 2000 chinas economy was not even a match with Italy but under a decade it has surpased both Germany, Europes economic power house and Japan, showing that even giants can be overtaken talkless of ur regions economy which u so much brag about which is even insignifcant compared to global super economies. Ur region is still dependent on Nigeria to wax strong, u dont produce anything, u dont export anything out of ur region that adda value to the economy of the nation, so my dear until your region begin to do things that will add to Nigerias foriegn exchange account, just shut ur trap u got nothing to offer the country as a whole only depend on the Niger delta oil as only means of foreign exchange revenue nothing else and I am a firm believer for economic diversification not only dependence on Niger delta oil.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Economy; The North-south Regional Disparity - Rencap by joeyarticles: 9:43am On Nov 04, 2020
The general outline of the financial system and market of the Nigerian economy comfortably be classified structurally into four major categories viz production, service, commerce and others. Production naturally is made up of agricultural which includes cropping, forestry, Hunting, fishing and livestock. In the Nigerian Economy primarily, production also includes manufacturing, in essence craft and processing mining and quarrying. Construction and real estate services includes professional services, contributions to the economy such as lectures/ teachers, medical personal, lawyers, etc. as well public utilities, transport and communications. Commerce is made up of domestic trade, bills discounted, imports and export. Others includes credit and financial institutions, governments and miscellaneous.

(1) (Reply)

El Rufai (apc) Vs Muktar Yero (pdp) - University Results. / Buhari, Tinubu In Fresh Move Against Saraki / Why I Pray For France And Not Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.