Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts - Dating And Meet-up Zone - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Dating And Meet-up Zone / When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts (4034 Views)

Why Do Guys Ask Ladies For Money? / Why Do Guys Always Ask Back The Gifts They Gave Their Chicks After They Breakup / Sugar Mummy Just For Fun Not For Money I Have Enough 4 My Self (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by suls(m): 5:04pm On Aug 17, 2005
WEB SIGHT (Are you a fool?)

Recently, it has happened to me 4 to 5 times. Whenever am chatting, meeting somebody online I mean chatting it ang the person at the other end will be demanding for things like money, recharge card or voucher and some other things [when] we have not even set eyes on each other.

Does the same thing happen to you, too? What is your reaction? And do you fall into it? I mean giving response to the other person at the other end (the person you are chatting with) in the name of love? Think about this.
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by Chigszy(f): 5:11pm On Aug 17, 2005
ok do you know this person because you are like you have not set eyes on the person but then again you said you do it in the name of love... well if you have not met the person why d hell should you bother to reply to them...

men if that happened to you u must b rich for it to happen 4-5 times (wht is ur address so we could hooke up) wink tongue cos tht hasn't happened to me yet well hope it does not cos i am as broke as hell n the person is in for it!!!
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by Greatpeter(m): 6:06pm On Aug 17, 2005
As for me I can respond to my online friend if he/she asks me for anything.

It doesn't matter wether you know him/her or not.

1 Like

Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by tcherokee(m): 6:39pm On Aug 17, 2005
depends on how the person demands it and what i feel the person's intentions are. But most likely i won't

1 Like

Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by Seun(m): 6:56pm On Aug 17, 2005
You have no way of confirming that your online friend is not a "professional begger", so I suggest that you should only send money/gifts to online friends if you won't miss the money!
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by pkrix(m): 8:21pm On Aug 17, 2005
Oh God I feel like I should give but I need 2 get this n that.

BUt come 2 think of it; some people r potential beggers n no matter how rich they r, they still have that affinity to beg.

That did not stop me from chatting with the person but I stylistically n humbly tells the person that I am reading.

But I wonder what my excuse would be when I through reading.
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by twinkledew(f): 8:33pm On Aug 17, 2005
i believe most nigerians do this most. i have met loads that ask me for money, phones etc . its very annoying. i Log off immediately.
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by dablessed(f): 11:54pm On Aug 17, 2005
How'bout a situation where u meet someone on Nairaland, he is in nigeria, u're in london, he wants u to meet up but can't come to london now and has said u should come over to Nigeria, you tell him u can't afford a trip to Niger  now and he says no worries, i'll pay for the trip by sending cash to you.

Will you call the above scenario begging?

[s]****If na begging, abeg make i tell am to keep in money o****[/s]
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by sholao(m): 11:19am On Aug 18, 2005
I won't say that is begging, but I would really like to know the purpose of meeting up, as anyone willing to send money from Nigeria to someone in London is either a very good friend you have known for a while and finacially sound or someone dogy and upto something!
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by layi(m): 11:32am On Aug 18, 2005
@dablessed i "second" sholao

back2dtopic, I wont listen to any1 who doesnt 'know' me yet begs (continually asking).
Cos i dont give to professional beggars. If its online, i'll give only to those i really know.
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by Motee(f): 12:41pm On Aug 18, 2005
Yes i can give if it is for charity organisation OR we are just friends through chatting. It is not necessary for us to meet.
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by Ra(f): 3:25pm On Aug 18, 2005
I see it as nothing but begging.

Com'on. How do you meet someone online, you don't know the first thing about them save for what they've told you about themselves and you are begging for money? It's ridiculous at best. It happens all the time and it ranges from money to phones to .... someone had the unmitigated temerity to ask me if I could sponsor him over to the UK to progress his basket balling career. What a laugh! This coming from a guy I had no idea where he even got my yahoo id from in the first instance. I told him basket ball is not as big in the UK as it is in the States and that he should record his training sessions, send the tapes to prominent teams in the US and hope for the best. I said I would help in securing the names of such teams for him .... gues what..... he said I should not bother and signed off. The next time he sent me an e-mail (I quite naturally blocked him from my contact list) he was lamenting on how poor his folks are and how badly they all need money to survive.

I wish Nigerians will stop this nonsense act. It simply beclouds ones jugdement in discerning who is genuiely in need of help and who is simply taking the piss.

So to answer the question, it's BEGGING!
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by sholao(m): 3:39pm On Aug 18, 2005
Ra,

How do you determine who really needs help? Afterall there are many in Nigeria who don't have jobs, and would really love the chance of joining the rat race in a place like the UK.
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by angelak(f): 5:14pm On Aug 18, 2005
A guy friend i had on line asked me for a job barely a week after we met on line. I felt pissed and stopped talking to him. It was to soon to ask for favors!!
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by Ra(f): 5:19pm On Aug 18, 2005
sholao:

Ra,

How do you determine who really needs help? Afterall there are many in Nigeria who don't have jobs, and would really love the chance of joining the rat race in a place like the UK.

Shola, there's a clear line between the two. Well, as far as I am concerned, there is. What's more, you said it yourself in your earlier post. If I'm sending money to Nigeria or whatever part of the world, it's most certainly to a close friend or relative who I know needs the money. How do I know? Because these are people I know won't bother me unless they indeed need the money. Now some guy whose last name I don't even recall comes online after we might have chatted a couple of times and asks me for money?..... I'm sorry but that will be the last time he ever sees me online. Some guy I knew back home in my Church (get this, we were hardly friends) and barely ever got to know his name called me up about a month ago (must have taken my number off someone in Church) at 3am..... 3:am shocked and asked me for money for his brother to send some stuff to him in Nigeria........ what arrant nonsense!!!

If anyone comes online and wants to chat about politics, the weather or sports, as long as my time and frame of mind permits at such time, I'm game. But nothing switches me off more than people trying to take advantage of others or being outrightly dodgy.

Angela k.. I feel you, my sister. In my opinion, a lot of people simply start chatting with other people with ulterior motives and it's really sad.
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by diakim(m): 6:14pm On Aug 18, 2005
It's to my delight to have cut off so many people that not long after we know each other over the internet, not having met physically, started demanding for re-charge cards or mobile phones from me. I'd never posed myself as a 'big man' to anyone on the net before, so naturally, I will get pissed off and starts ignoring or blocks such individuals. Those are the generations of cyber-beggars.

It happens not only on the internet, but with GSM phones as well. You will just see a lot of requests for assistance from people who you barely know in form of text messages. Naturally, I ignore such requests. People need to wake up and have some sense of dignity.
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by Ra(f): 11:23pm On Aug 18, 2005
Spot on diakim, spot on!
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by Greatpeter(m): 11:49pm On Aug 18, 2005
sholao:

I won't say that is begging, but I would really like to know the purpose of meeting up, as anyone willing to send money from Nigeria to someone in London is either a very good friend you have known for a while and finacially sound or someone dogy and upto something!

The person wants to engage her probably grin
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by kazey(m): 3:35am On Aug 19, 2005
Hmm all i can say is it is common from Nigerians located in Nigeria. They want phones, they want a way out of the country, they want you to hook them up with some white lady, they want money, they want phones, they want everything. grin

I still have some of them in my contact list sha. Me I no get time for them. smiley
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by hotangel2(f): 4:25am On Aug 19, 2005
tell about it. Someone i met on a website and we started chatting on yahoo, was telling me to send him 3 cell-phones to show that i am indeed his friend. I was like shocked shocked and i got angry angry and i said, rolleyes rolleyes and i began to i just Blocked the guy from my yahoo. cheesy

Another one said that i should tell my dad to file for him, to come to USA, and when he gets here, he'll pay my dad. I was like, shocked shocked so i blocked him too. cheesy

Okay on a serious note, i have blocked so many people asking me for stuffs online. I soooo do not know you, why in the name of Heaven will be asking me for stuffs? If we are talking about my friends i left in Nigeria, and we are now like Online mates, I understand that one. But if i met you online and decided to be ur friend and you wanna turn me to an ATM , dude......not gonna happen! smiley
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by Ra(f): 6:10am On Aug 19, 2005
Well put hot-angel....quite graphic smiley

ATM: Cash machine
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by layi(m): 12:43pm On Aug 19, 2005
@hot-angel cheesy ATM - quick cash.   I like that, and also luv ur 'iconotextual' post.
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by timmy(m): 4:46pm On Aug 19, 2005
Gees men!! i took my time to read all pot ahead of mine, angry quite pissing to know that people beg alot, well i'v never been begged en dont think ill go ahead to be Mr. Nice guy here. as a mater of fact i av limited people i chat with online, and those i chat with aint the kinda people that'll start begging for crumbs of favors..

Big shame to all ya e-beggers out there. May be ill make you guys a website for that tongue begging.com or e-begger.com or something more lik nijabeggers.net grin
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by sholao(m): 5:03pm On Aug 19, 2005
@timmy 'nijabeggers.net ' I think you've just given someone a new business plan! grin

It good that I don't use messaging software, so haven't experienced this personally.
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by nike4luv(f): 8:08pm On Aug 19, 2005
i just ignore em..dey ask for stuff dat u cant even think sum1 is gon ask..dats y my dad hates me chatting on pc..dey gon say, show me ur passprt and u go fall for am now ur life is ova
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by Greatpeter(m): 8:10pm On Aug 19, 2005
Beware who you chat with.
Den dey hypnotise via pc now oo.
Know that today.
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by nike4luv(f): 8:11pm On Aug 19, 2005
ya..ma daddy told me dat too
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by Greatpeter(m): 8:14pm On Aug 19, 2005
So be careful now that you know.
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by nike4luv(f): 8:14pm On Aug 19, 2005
ya..i just shoot em..and cova myself wit de bloody of my saviour
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by Greatpeter(m): 8:18pm On Aug 19, 2005
You've got the secret.
That an effective antidote agaist the work of satan and his cohorts.
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by nike4luv(f): 8:19pm On Aug 19, 2005
yea..bang bang and dey dead
Re: When Your Online Friend Asks for Money or Gifts by hotangel2(f): 10:06pm On Aug 19, 2005
Whenever i am like On pc and i am chatting, and i know my dad is home. I always lock my room. He'll be like "otun tin chat abi?" (you are chatting again) And i am like nooo.."mon change aso mi ni (i am changing my cloths)". Online predators and whatnot. Ever since my cam broke and i told my dad to get me a new one, he said not with his money nor in his house. I was like why, he said he don't want me showing people my face....and blah blah. He kinda gets on my nerves but i understand him. Online predators are so many here....somebody jusy pop up at ur messenger saying "hi". Especailly my sn that kinda has my name attached to it, so they say Hey liz,. remember me? And i am like no...who told u my name. (crazy people..they sometimes scare me). I so don't answer people that are not on my sn or else i know their sn.

SN is screen name.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kn / Hookup Friends, Drop Your Whatsapp # / Darkrebel/darkenedrebel..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.