Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,276 members, 7,839,379 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced (13391 Views)

Protest In Abuja For The Expulsion Of Saeed-Koozechi Iranian Ambassador / Over 1500 Niger Delta Militants To Surrender Arms To Fed Gov / FG Reduces Cost Of Importing Food By $2bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by ceevin: 10:57pm On May 13, 2013
our govt is weak..
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by lafuria1(m): 11:01pm On May 13, 2013
i dont know what naija pundit gain from giving half truth. they were not charged for terrorism rather for illegal transportation of arms since the UN has placed a weapon embargo on iran. check the bbc link for more details.

do you all expect the judge to sentence the guy base on conspiracy theories that the weapon were meant for boko haram? any evidence?

illegal sale of weapons have been going on, the way MEND go theirs, so this guy gets caught and got sentenced, simple.
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by mu2sa2: 11:08pm On May 13, 2013
Real Mccoy:
Aboki man and his weak conspiracy. ...Fhuck boy.
A foo.l is easy to spot!
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by ZeusI: 11:15pm On May 13, 2013
Bode George sentenced for three years for squandering Billions of Naira, while a young man who stole a handset within same period was sentenced to 15years imprisonment(with hard labour). What does it say?
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by abokinside: 11:36pm On May 13, 2013
Pontaboki :
You are a fool.Instead of you asking for the head of the Judge(who might even be your brother)who gave the Judgement,you are here calling names.
My brother I am not a fool and the judge is not from my state as umay think his name is justice Okeke, guess that ssounds familiar. Anyway why I blame the president is because hos is the one we elected to take care of corrupt judges not me, not you, not Tinubu, so let hom just do the job his been elected to do in other saner climes the president would be at the forefront of the fight against all forms of graft but in our case he seems to be leading the onslaught. Pls next time dont call me a full, I know u are not too mannered, I know life in the creeks must have been tough for you but hey! Calm down I am only here to help ur sorry I jaw bum!
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by truly: 12:22am On May 14, 2013
Zeus I: Bode George sentenced for three years for squandering Billions of Naira, while a young man who stole a handset within same period was sentenced to 15years imprisonment(with hard labour). What does it say?

So the judiciary works afterall! What I have been hearing on corruption cases is that the "FG has been charging people to court but the judiciary is holding things up"
The judiciary sentences based on charges filed by the executive not on based on public emotions
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by Onyocha: 12:30am On May 14, 2013
The sentence handed on the iranian and his so called "nigerian accomplice" is not for smuggling weapons into nigeria.

People should stop repeating hearsay or rumor.the weapons were caught on transit by nigeria's security forces.iran says they were destined for gambia.and naturally no country would buy weapons from iran and openly do so,as buying weapons from iran contravenes UN sanctions on iranian weapons.gambia denied it bought the weapons.the indigenous arms industry in iran is booming as iran keeps its weapons research and production a high priority.

From the judgement given by the court,we can easily see that the judge was clearly convinced the weapons were intended to reach somewhere outside nigeria.also this judgement was meant to please the west and support UN and US sanctions against iran.nigeria should have its independent foreign policy and should not toe the line of american or western dictate on international affairs.if the iranian was caught for weapons on transit in venezuela,cuba,or even in india or brazil,he most likely would have been freed.but ofcourse nigeria can't afford to anger Uncle Sam!

As for those ignorant nairalanders accusing iran of terror or linking it to boko haram and alqaeda,they should know that ideologically iran and the likes of boko haram and alqaeda are at odds.iran almost went to war in 1997 against alqaeda's backer in afghanistan,the taliban.iran follows Shia Islam,while the likes of boko haram and alqaeda follow the strict wahhabi/salafi ideology of Sunni Islam.the wahhabis/salafists view the Shia as "heretics".but we have ignorant people out here who lump all Muslims together as one,and happily refer to them all as "terrorists",regurgitating propaganda designed to suit western interests.iran is a sovereign state that nigeria have diplomatic ties with.if iran is a "terror state",I'd expect nigeria to cut ties with iran and severe diplomatic relations,a move nigeria will not do.moreover israel is by any neutral and fair account a terror state built on illegal occupation and defying UN security council resolutions,but nigeria (out of misplaced,confused, and misguided and misconstrued christian sentiments) still maintains relations with israel.iran is a truly independent and a thriving nation scientifically and technologically that many african countries can benefit from its experience.you will learn from iran, that without the west and following its dictates and receiving its aid,you can progress by depending on yourself.that is a bitter lesson iran have made the west to experience.
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by livebullet(m): 12:41am On May 14, 2013
5year jail term isnt different from studying agric or engineering in a nigerian University. Too short!
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by Afam4evaIsASlut: 12:46am On May 14, 2013
Zeus I: Bode George sentenced for three years for squandering Billions of Naira, while a young man who stole a handset within same period was sentenced to 15years imprisonment(with hard labour). What does it say?

That Nigerians need more of GEJ because they are dumb as hell!
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by Nobody: 12:59am On May 14, 2013
I am against killings. But, 5 years is just too small for such a crime.
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by osbornfotovideo: 2:30am On May 14, 2013
I ARMS WERE SHIPPED TO CAUSE HARM TO THIS COUNTRY, SO 5 YEAR SENTENCED WITHOUT HARD LABOR IS LIKE UNDER HOUSE ARREST
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by bidis: 5:24am On May 14, 2013
just five years for somebody dat is responsible for insecurity in nigeria and death of thousands of people this country is finished
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by Nobody: 5:33am On May 14, 2013
Wht ? 5yrs? Diz bullshit y is nigeria like diz?
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by Nobody: 5:47am On May 14, 2013
Big LIE!!! [color=#990000][/color]They were sentenced to 17 years each. Read the link below from Punch

http://www.punchng.com/news/arms-smuggling-nigerian-court-jails-iranian-17-years/
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by naptu2: 5:50am On May 14, 2013

See, this is the example I wanted to use. People kept saying that Bode George was sentenced to 3 years in jail for stealing billions of naira and they kept blaming the judge, but they were wrong. Bode George was not convicted of stealing billions of naira. The EFCC couldn't prove that he stole billions of naira. He was convicted for contract splitting! The judge can only apply the punishment that is in the statutes, based on the charges and whether he was found guilty or not. The judge cannot manufacture penalties that do not exist in the statutes.

So the questions are: what was the Iranian charged with? How many counts? What penalties does the law prescribe for that offence?
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by ddeola: 5:53am On May 14, 2013
At least we have an idea as per d brains behind all d BH mess and their sponsors. I expect our leaders to act intelligently and put sentiments aside
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by musiwa26: 6:05am On May 14, 2013
you are going to licence companies who can import weapon. this is how is done. you will do background check to all staff.
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by billyG(m): 7:00am On May 14, 2013
See his terrorist eyez i hope them no do arrangement make one bloody nigerian help am serve sentence,i swear anything can happen 4 naija,i thought jona will issue an intl. warrant 4 ahmadenijad 2 appear & answer query in naija
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by billyG(m): 7:04am On May 14, 2013
Onyocha: The sentence handed on the iranian and his so called "nigerian accomplice" is not for smuggling weapons into nigeria.

People should stop repeating hearsay or rumor.the weapons were caught on transit by nigeria's security forces.iran says they were destined for gambia.and naturally no country would buy weapons from iran and openly do so,as buying weapons from iran contravenes UN sanctions on iranian weapons.gambia denied it bought the weapons.the indigenous arms industry in iran is booming as iran keeps its weapons research and production a high priority.

From the judgement given by the court,we can easily see that the judge was clearly convinced the weapons were intended to reach somewhere outside nigeria.also this judgement was meant to please the west and support UN and US sanctions against iran.nigeria should have its independent foreign policy and should not toe the line of american or western dictate on international affairs.if the iranian was caught for weapons on transit in venezuela,cuba,or even in india or brazil,he most likely would have been freed.but ofcourse nigeria can't afford to anger Uncle Sam!

As for those ignorant nairalanders accusing iran of terror or linking it to boko haram and alqaeda,they should know that ideologically iran and the likes of boko haram and alqaeda are at odds.iran almost went to war in 1997 against alqaeda's backer in afghanistan,the taliban.iran follows Shia Islam,while the likes of boko haram and alqaeda follow the strict wahhabi/salafi ideology of Sunni Islam.the wahhabis/salafists view the Shia as "heretics".but we have ignorant people out here who lump all Muslims together as one,and happily refer to them all as "terrorists",regurgitating propaganda designed to suit western interests.iran is a sovereign state that nigeria have diplomatic ties with.if iran is a "terror state",I'd expect nigeria to cut ties with iran and severe diplomatic relations,a move nigeria will not do.moreover israel is by any neutral and fair account a terror state built on illegal occupation and defying UN security council resolutions,but nigeria (out of misplaced,confused, and misguided and misconstrued christian sentiments) still maintains relations with israel.iran is a truly independent and a thriving nation scientifically and technologically that many african countries can benefit from its experience.you will learn from iran, that without the west and following its dictates and receiving its aid,you can progress by depending on yourself.that is a bitter lesson iran have made the west to experience.
Iran is a great nation! my FOOT are yu a TERRORIST who love Iran than Nigeria?
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by naptu2: 7:10am On May 14, 2013
O! Unfortunately I was distracted while listening to the news.

Rhythm FM reports that he was sentenced to 17 years in prison. 5 years on one charge, 3 years on another charge and (unfortunately I was distracted and so didn't hear the last sentence). The sentences are to run concurrently.
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by ocelot2006(m): 7:36am On May 14, 2013
Gamji007: We don't have a judiciary in Nigeria. The police,SSS,courts etc are all wash outs.

angry

Leave DSS/SSS out of this and go blame the courts. Afterall, the former performed its job apprehending the Iranian.
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by stankezzy: 7:36am On May 14, 2013
Onyocha: The sentence handed on the iranian and his so called "nigerian accomplice" is not for smuggling weapons into nigeria.

so iranians have got their spies every where in this country.we are no longer safe;we are here blaming the judge with out knowing that their accomplice are already every where then how can they give fair judgement when they are treatened from inside.
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by stankezzy: 7:37am On May 14, 2013

so iranians have got their spies every where in this country.we are no longer safe;we are here blaming the judge with out knowing that their accomplice are already every where then how can they give fair judgement when they are treatened from inside.
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by naptu2: 7:49am On May 14, 2013
ocelot2006:

Leave DSS/SSS out of this and go blame the courts. Afterall, the former performed its job apprehending the Iranian.

Yes and credit must also be given to the Customs Service. They raised the initial alarm and invited the DSS (despite attempts by the nigerian accomplices to bribe them).
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by everyday: 8:07am On May 14, 2013
Good riddance
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by vccghana(m): 8:11am On May 14, 2013
only five years in prison while our Ajegunle boys have been in awaiting trial cell in kirikiri for over 15 years for pick pocket. the guy should be hanged

1 Like

Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by jayiyke007(m): 8:43am On May 14, 2013
This is embarrassing to our judicial arm of govt and to Nigeria as a whole except d info is wrong. I don't accept 5yrs jail term to a man caught wit containers of weapons+explosives for destruction instead of a death sentence cos he's not a Nigerian. No Nation wil give such a weak judgment+sentence to a foreigner as this(5yrs).#in Fella's voice#"I sorry sorry ooo, i sorry for Nigeria". Nigerian's friendliness with other Nations has brought disrespect+disregard to it's citizenry in other Nations. Nigeria is a Nation dat its leaders don't have luv+gud interest for its citizens. May God help us(citizens of Nigeria) from injustice.
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by Kenboo212: 8:51am On May 14, 2013
Please our security guards should guard this guy well cos he looks like an escapee up nija.
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by Dee60: 9:07am On May 14, 2013
If a Nigerian did this in Iran what would have happened?
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by Otono2(m): 9:21am On May 14, 2013
May God continue to protect us Amen
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by barroymails: 9:36am On May 14, 2013
There's no doubting the fact that that judgment was extraneously influenced, and it's unfortunate. The next thing that will follow it is a plea for amnesty. May God save us from religious hooligans and unscrupulous politicians.
Re: Iranian Accused Of Importing Arms To Nigeria Sentenced by nmagirl(f): 10:03am On May 14, 2013
free2ryhme: he shld have bagged a heavy sentence

if he is a Nigerian, but because a foreigner our judiciary now want to play safe so that d international world will not blame them. had it been he's an average niaja citizen, na life imprisonment straight. And I can bet my left ass that GEJ monitored the judgement himself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Solomon Dalung: How I Paid A Poor Girl's School Fees For A Year / Allen Onyema: A United Nigeria Will Be Greater Than Europe / Jime Vs Ortom: Supreme Court Hears Jime’s Appeal Against Ortom Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.