Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,214 members, 7,953,788 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:20 AM

Soldiers Beat-Up Transport Union Official Over Dues - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Soldiers Beat-Up Transport Union Official Over Dues (8882 Views)

They Only Came To Collect Their Dues. / 5 Real Life Soldiers Who Make Rambo Look Like A Sissy / Soldiers Beat Bus Driver To Death In Edo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soldiers Beat-Up Transport Union Official Over Dues by searay(m): 4:12pm On May 14, 2013
But do civilians here have a little respect for soldiers. By now we should know what they are and avoid them. As for me, life no get duplicate.
Re: Soldiers Beat-Up Transport Union Official Over Dues by Nobody: 4:29pm On May 14, 2013
Wonder why all those civilians in the crowd, did not rush the bloody soldier and give him the beating of his life. In my travels around the world its only in naija dat i see soldiers elevated to the status of demi gods lol
Re: Soldiers Beat-Up Transport Union Official Over Dues by dhejykeane: 4:45pm On May 14, 2013
grin[color=#990000][/color]dancing azonto.1st time am on front page
,anyway its only in 9ja that once you are a military official you are above the law.this is just one of numerous incidents that happen evryday in the street of Lagos.if army man beat you ehn na that time you go know say true true police is your friend
Re: Soldiers Beat-Up Transport Union Official Over Dues by emmasmiles(m): 5:20pm On May 14, 2013
;DNice one Nigeria army
Re: Soldiers Beat-Up Transport Union Official Over Dues by Fishout(m): 5:30pm On May 14, 2013
I am totally condemned d behaviours of those stupid soldiers.i dont know why Govt no want carry them to nasarawa,borno or benue but,but those agbero lack disciplines,respect,home trainning nd also stupid.so i no pity him at all.
Re: Soldiers Beat-Up Transport Union Official Over Dues by coolchimex: 5:42pm On May 14, 2013
If you live in lagos, you must have witnessed what those touts do to the transporters; they can be very heartless. I guess the soldier wanted to teach him a lesson but took it a bit too far. Oga Soldier, next time just give am soft touch chikena!
Re: Soldiers Beat-Up Transport Union Official Over Dues by hardbody: 6:09pm On May 14, 2013
andyanders:

I fact what the soldiers did is right because these touts behave as if the whole world belong to them. Good for the guy. Hope he learnt his learson.

Brilliant comment. Most people here have been blinded by the fact that the touts themselves have no business extorting money from bus drivers as these pass down the tolls to passengers. Some buffoons just stand at the bus stop and collect money from others who are toiling to make ends meet by using buses whether theirs or leased (or on loan) It is not good to wish humans death else i would have wished the olawale guy death so that his other mates will realize that they cannot go on playing tin gods. Have you ever noticed where those agberos are beating up bus drivers that refused to pay those tolls being extorted from them? I wish many more of them will receive similar beatings in the mighty name of Jesus

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Beat-Up Transport Union Official Over Dues by EagleNest(m): 6:34pm On May 14, 2013
We are far from being civilized.
I detest with passion the activities of Agberos in Lagos. They seem uncontrollable and they are so daring because nobody challenges them.
I like the first episode of the beating but not the later one. I think the first beating should have been enough.
Agberos, omoniles and alayes need to be controlled. For Christ sake we are in 21st century!

2 Likes

Re: Soldiers Beat-Up Transport Union Official Over Dues by kiyosaki1(m): 7:02pm On May 14, 2013
dhejykeane: Five soldiers said to be attached to the Ikeja Military Cantonment on Monday, allegedly beat up a member of the National Union of Road Transport Workers at Somolu, identified as Abiodun Olawale, for collecting dues from drivers.

Olawale, who was eventually rescued by policemen attached to the Onipanu Police Division, was said to have incurred the wrath of the soldiers when he ignored a directive from one of them not to collect dues from the drivers.

A trader, who identified himself as Kunle, told PUNCH Metro that the incident started as a minor disagreement.

Kunle said, “A danfo bus was flagged down at Onipanu bus stop by one of the union members, Olawale.

“As was their custom, he asked the driver to pay his dues. Unfortunately for Olawale, there was a soldier in that bus; a staff sergeant. The soldier was annoyed and asked Olawale why he should demand money from the driver even when he noticed a soldier was sitting in the bus.

“It seemed Olawale too was irritated by the soldier’s interference because he immediately retorted that he had not addressed his demands to the soldier but to the driver of the bus. This whole thing happened at about 11am,” Kunle said.

Angered at his audacity, the soldier, who is yet to be identified, jumped down from the bus, grabbed Olawale and landed a series of blows and kicks on him.

Despite pleas from other passengers in the bus and other members of the NURTW who had now been drawn to the scene, the beating was said to have continued. It wasn’t until the soldier allegedly made attempts to drag Olawale into the bus that the crowd that had earlier been watching helplessly, resisted the move.

“After those of us who were gathered at the scene, resisted the soldier’s attempts to drag Olawale away; he left and we all thought that was the end of the matter. To our surprise, this same soldier returned about 10 minutes later with four more of his colleagues in a red Toyota Camry with registration number, CM 730 JJJ. All the soldiers were armed although the driver of their vehicle was not in uniform, the rest were,” another resident, Toyin Sule said.

Immediately the soldiers got to Onipanu bus stop, the staff sergeant was said to have identified Olawale, who was still at his job, collecting dues from drivers. All five soldiers were were said to have allegedly pounced on Olawale, beating him with their weapons and using a jack-knife on him. Afraid for Olawale’s life, passersby, motorists and traders were said to have quickly alerted the police.

“At a point while the soldiers were attacking Olawale, the crowd had become huge. Infact one of the soldiers, the only one who was in mufti, broke away from the group and ran across the road. Although he was pursued by the youths, he escaped. Three of the soldiers were eventually arrested by the combined efforts of the crowd and the police team from the Onipanu Police Station; two of their colleagues had escaped. Had they not been arrested, the situation would have degenerated into a crisis. Already, a call had been placed to the military authorities at the Ikeja Cantonment from where the soldiers came from,” a source requesting anonymity said.

At about 1pm, PUNCH Metro gathered that a team of military policemen arrived at the Onipanu police station to move away the soldiers to the cantonment.

Olawale, who was said to be bleeding profusely from several cuts on his head and body, was allegedly taken to the Oguntolu General Hospital at Somolu for medical treatment.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ngozi Braide, when contacted said, “I will get back to you.”

http://www.punchng.com/metro/soldiers-assault-transport-union-official-over-dues/
I thought the state govt. has restricted their activities to within their various garages
Re: Soldiers Beat-Up Transport Union Official Over Dues by SailorXY: 8:23pm On May 14, 2013
pro01:

How does condemnation of soldiers' UNLAWFUL acts of violence against an unarmed civilian equate to supporting the misdeeds of that civilian? I'm sure there are agencies of government that should crackdown on these touts and their illegal activities. Maybe you should ask the governor in Alausa why he has turned a blind eye to the activities of these extortionists. It is NOT the responsibility of soldiers to address this problem let alone in such a brutal and arbitrary manner.
Well, someone has to do something to curb the menace of these unscrupulous touts making the already hard life of commuters even harder! If the civil government keep folding their arms then the military does it by force, I can't give a rat's azz as long as the rubbish extortions stop... Same with the police force!
Re: Soldiers Beat-Up Transport Union Official Over Dues by Ninilowo(m): 10:47pm On May 14, 2013
One day one day, monkey go go market he no go return. that is the case of the agbero. After a bottle of alomo or a stainless cup of shekpe, they find it difficult to even recognise their parent. Next time if he hears "so...." He no go wait hear d rest before he go tear race. NONSENSE!!
Re: Soldiers Beat-Up Transport Union Official Over Dues by sunnyolads1(m): 10:57pm On May 14, 2013
cephaskeys: A military force which experiments on the bodies of civilians,is not worthy to be termed 'army'.soldiers with no formal training on respect for human rights are not better than guerrilla cowards.i have personally come across civilians who have been victims of military brutality and police harassment.And i will continue to prophesy doom upon the the central goverment,in no distant time,if they fail to repair the crack in the civil-military helm.In a democratic state where military personels harass civilians,or even go as far as committing battery,grievous bodily harm and other forms of terrible crimes on the civilians who they are suppose to protect and defend, then democracy in such a state is a fallacy.If the military,that is suppose to protect us from foreign aggression,from kidnappers,terrorists and bokoites now leave the alqeadians in mali,the bokoites in the north,the militants in the south and now turns to us the civilians,to seriously deny us of human rights,and heinously brutalise us,then i think 'OUR security does not lie any longer,in the hands of a central goverment' hence,i urge all able bodied nigerians to remove trust completely from the central goverment; in terms of our security,so that in the future,our children will not ask us why our geometry is so different from the citizens of other countries,and we simply say "it was re constructed by the brutal nigerian army"
Are you an Agbero or what?
Re: Soldiers Beat-Up Transport Union Official Over Dues by true2god: 6:33am On May 15, 2013
I wish those beating to continue as long as those agberos (fashola police force) continue to constitue nuisance on lagos road.

(1) (2) (Reply)

15 Intellectual Quotes By Great People / The Flailing Kitten On Allen Avenue / 4 Ways To Get Ahead Of The New Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.