Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,294 members, 7,829,674 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People (10513 Views)

Small Animals And Insects That Cause Big And Deadly Diseases / Eat More Bananas For More Sons – Scientists / Lose Weight Without Starving Yourself With These Nigerian Herbs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by eminemkayc: 10:50am On May 15, 2013
They're advising humans to become lizards...
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by TeenageMoney(m): 10:55am On May 15, 2013
ITbomb: Yea come on baby eat me

Insect nt cockroach
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by pekelepekele(m): 10:57am On May 15, 2013
Insects and the mouth shouldn't be friends
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by schwerz(m): 11:04am On May 15, 2013
I'm sure this is Ban ki-moon's idea
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Nobody: 11:10am On May 15, 2013
olaric: No matter how proteinious some insects are, no one can convince me to cook them for meal. Moreover these same people encouraging us to start eating insects will one day start talking about preserving them in the name of "endangered species."

You can train your kids to eat it! undecided

It's all in the mind! cool
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Policewoman(f): 11:18am On May 15, 2013
folu500: hmmmmm na wa o. what will someone not hear with all this research and findings.

The United Nations has some advice for the starving people of the world that might bug you. Eating insects might just be the future of food. A new report from the U.N. says that eating insects (high in protein, low in fat) can help fight global warming, pollutions, and yes, hunger. And if the suggestion catches on, it could even be great for small businesses.

The concept of eating insects as part of a regular diet is known as entomophagy is already practiced by an estimated two billion people, according to the report, which was issued on Monday, the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization. In 2012, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation named Dr. Aaron T. Dossey’s “All Things Bugs” company the winner of the foundation’s annual Grand Challenges Explorations contest. The group received a grant to pursue its project to come up with viable insect protein options to combat malnutrition in children.

So, which bugs earned the U.N.’s seal of approval? Well, there are reportedly more than 1,900 edible insect species. The international governing body suggested people try red ants, bees, caterpillars, crickets, grasshoppers, locusts wasps and certain types of water beetles. - http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/u-n-encourages-people-eat-more-insects-004159870.html
WHAT OF MOSQUITOES AND COCKROACHES COS I GOT LOTS OF THEM AT HOME? I FIT TAKE AM COOK OKRA SOUP?
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by moshoodn(m): 11:19am On May 15, 2013
Protein all the way...
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Jankoller(m): 11:20am On May 15, 2013
Go and get as many insecticide as possible. Tawa no fit catch insect, na rat e fit catch.
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by moshoodn(m): 11:22am On May 15, 2013
olaric: No matter how proteinious some insects are, no one can convince me to cook them for meal. Moreover these same people encouraging us to start eating insects will one day start talking about preserving them in the name of "endangered species."

Eat them now that they are in abundance....

When they become endangered, we stop.

Besides, there are trillions of insect in this ecosystem.

The ratio is like a man to a million insect!
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by folu500(m): 11:22am On May 15, 2013
dgitrader: insects are very rich in protein and iron.... research.

[size=18pt]but op.... hmmmmm

where or when did the UN(F.A.O actually)refer to 'starving people'[/size]?

read the post very well they made reference to hunger. from my understanding hunger and starving can mean the same thing depending on how you look at it. although am not the writer of the article you can see the source of the article from the link provided.
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by blackbeau1(f): 11:57am On May 15, 2013
they are wicked people. after eating choice foods,they ask the poor to eat insects. soon they will tell us that faeces are proteinous in nature.
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by zumbigbo(m): 12:00pm On May 15, 2013
This is an indirect call for Nigerians to clear away the political insects and parasites in abuja. Bring net. Battle don commence!
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Foxycarol(f): 12:41pm On May 15, 2013
Instead make i chop insect i go rather drink garri die

1 Like

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by omodapson(m): 12:44pm On May 15, 2013
We are already used to eating insect, nothing new. I bet 80% of people saying contrary had at one time eaten a type of insect.
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by AnanseK(m): 1:09pm On May 15, 2013
Eat insects? What's wrong with chicken casserole and beef steak and fillets of fish?
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by elampiro(m): 1:12pm On May 15, 2013
Only crickets can serve.
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by tejpot(m): 1:21pm On May 15, 2013
]Insects are the most successful organisms man has known. You can never deplete them and you will always find then. You don't need to cut down the trees, you don't need too much tillage and cultivation. Set your trap outside and they will come meet you.

Btw, I intend starting mass production of some insect chips soon. I will need marketers.
Cockroach ChipsTM
Hmmmmmm! Proteinous.....
If U are a marketer, no dulling!
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by plainmirror(m): 1:58pm On May 15, 2013
Ndi ala
@ Ʊ.N

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by AnanseK(m): 2:01pm On May 15, 2013
Menu;

Cockroach chips - N30.00
antsburger - N25.00
flies rice - N35.00
scorpion pie - N40.00
Termite tarts - N38.00
Smoked bees - N85.00
Mosquitoes - Point and kill, come with your sheltox.
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by ifihear(m): 2:08pm On May 15, 2013
That's no big deal... Caterpillars,Locusts,grasshoppers and these flying insects after a heavy downpour are edibles in many parts of Nigeria and I have eaten all except for caterpillars.
Remember wakru wakru?? grin
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by EmekaAfrica(m): 2:14pm On May 15, 2013
folu500: hmmmmm na wa o. what will someone not hear with all this research and findings.

The United Nations has some advice for the starving people of the world that might bug you. Eating insects might just be the future of food. A new report from the U.N. says that eating insects (high in protein, low in fat) can help fight global warming, pollutions, and yes, hunger. And if the suggestion catches on, it could even be great for small businesses.

The concept of eating insects as part of a regular diet is known as entomophagy is already practiced by an estimated two billion people, according to the report, which was issued on Monday, the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization. In 2012, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation named Dr. Aaron T. Dossey’s “All Things Bugs” company the winner of the foundation’s annual Grand Challenges Explorations contest. The group received a grant to pursue its project to come up with viable insect protein options to combat malnutrition in children.

So, which bugs earned the U.N.’s seal of approval? Well, there are reportedly more than 1,900 edible insect species. The international governing body suggested people try red ants, bees, caterpillars, crickets, grasshoppers, locusts wasps and certain types of water beetles. - http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/u-n-encourages-people-eat-more-insects-004159870.html
Hmnnn....Timon & Pumba observing by the sides
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 15, 2013

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by olaric(m): 2:43pm On May 15, 2013
[quote author=hotwax]

ARe you that starved? This is for refugee in war turn country. Its not for countries like Nigeria. Nigeria is not that poor not to be able to afford garri, fufu e.t.c. There are so many darn cheap foods in Nigeria.[/quote

The story or article didn't mention or use the word "war" or "refugees;" moreover I never said I was starving!
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by dacherish(m): 3:15pm On May 15, 2013
Merry Goes rond one dey we wiil start eating our felow humanbeings may God help us all in him we can never starve.

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by 360command: 4:37pm On May 15, 2013
they are saying this to our east african brothers and our brothers from Guinea Bissau.
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by uncleiyke: 5:21pm On May 15, 2013
Hmnnnnnn! I no follow oooh! Tell them I trvel.
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by matrixme(m): 6:31pm On May 15, 2013
I understand that most Nigerians like to announce their unintelligence on the internet. Our people would rather tell the foremost scientific body to keep their findings on how to combat hunger, by bringing the poor, unnutritious garri they have always been eating as against a very rich source of protein. We would never get anywhere in this country with these thought process. We'd best be silent if we are not improving the matter on ground!
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Nicepoker(m): 10:01pm On May 15, 2013
Kingslaw: they should go to hell.

wait o,does it mean ''there is nothing like Garry in there dictionary?'
garry indeed
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by jomarick(m): 10:38pm On May 15, 2013
Who said you should cook them? Cooking them will add to global warming.Eat em raw!
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Litmus: 1:14pm On May 16, 2013
What on earth could the UN be thinking? Man, these people in the West are sending mixed messages.First, they give the impression world resources is sustainable at the current rate of exploitation and in the the next instant, they send a message with an underlying threat of doom!

They are dashing the hopes of millions in places like Nigeria. I mean, having given the impression that everyone in Nigeria and the rest of Africa deserves to dine on eggs, bacon, steak and caviar, washed down with champagne everyday - because we are wealthy but the corruption of politician and exploitation by rich people has impoverished us - they are now given the impression that the world cannot sustain the billions of people in it and that perhaps nations should start looking at exploiting other sources of nutrition.

What are they going to tell all those people who are now involved in killing, kidnapping and pirating all in the name of getting rich quick. People who were made to believe that their poverty, in a nation of "unbelievable wealth" is justification enough for lawlessness, indiscipline and immorality?

you're' now hinting that maybe, just maybe, we all can't dine on stakes and champagne , that we should start cutting our coats according to size by gwancing bugs?

Ya gat ta be kiddin me

Where's my gun, Dangote is rich, i have to be rich too or else I'm going to kill or kidnap somebody

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Moi-moi Healthy? All Ideas And Suggestions Are Welcome / Peter Gambo Dies Of COVID-19 Disease / COVID-19 Update For February 12 2021 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.