Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,747 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text (38553 Views)

Adopt Jonathan’s National Conference Report – Bakare Tells Buhari / President Jonathan's National Identity Card (For Age Clarification Rumour) / Jonathan's National Conference Is Due To His Second Term Fear-he May Break Nigr. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by truth4meal(m): 7:49pm On May 14, 2013
PRESIDENT GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN, GCFR

ON THE DECLARATION OF A STATE OF EMERGENCY IN BORNO, YOBE AND ADAMAWA STATES IN ORDER TO RESTORE PUBLIC ORDER, PUBLIC SAFETY AND SECURITY IN THE AFFECTED STATES OF THE FEDERATION

MAY 14, 2013

Dear compatriots,

1.It has become necessary for me to address you on the recent spate of terrorist activities and protracted security challenges in some parts of the country, particularly in Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Gombe, Bauchi, Kano, Plateau and most recently Bayelsa, Taraba, Benue and Nasarawa states. These unfortunate events have led to needless loss of lives and property of many innocent Nigerians including members of our security forces.

2.The recent killing of security operatives by a cult group in Nasarawa state is particularly condemnable. I have directed that no effort or expense be spared in identifying and bringing to justice all those who had a hand in the killing of the operatives.

3.The activities of insurgents and terrorists have been reprehensible, causing fear among our citizens and a near-breakdown of law and order in parts of the country, especially the North. We have taken robust steps to unravel and address the root causes of these crises, but it would appear that there is a systematic effort by insurgents and terrorists to destabilize the Nigerian state and test our collective resolve.

4.Since I returned to the country after cutting short my visit to South Africa and aborting a planned state visit to Namibia, I have received detailed briefings from our security agencies. These briefings indicate that what we are facing is not just militancy or criminality, but a rebellion and insurgency by terrorist groups which pose a very serious threat to national unity and territorial integrity. Already, some northern parts of Borno state have been taken over by groups whose allegiance is to different flags and ideologies.

5.These terrorists and insurgents seem determined to establish control and authority over parts of our beloved nation and to progressively overwhelm the rest of the country. In many places, they have destroyed the Nigerian flag and other symbols of state authority and in their place, hoisted strange flags suggesting the exercise of alternative sovereignty.

6.They have attacked government buildings and facilities. They have murdered innocent citizens and state officials. They have set houses ablaze, and taken women and children as hostages. These actions amount to a declaration of war and a deliberate attempt to undermine the authority of the Nigerian state and threaten her territorial integrity. As a responsible government, we will not tolerate this.

7.Previously, we adopted a multi-track approach to the resolution of this problem through actions which included persuasion, dialogue and widespread consultation with the political, religious and community leaders in the affected states.

8.We exercised restraint to allow for all efforts by both State Governors and well-meaning Nigerians to stop the repeated cases of mindless violence.

9.Yet, the insurgents and terrorists seek to prevent government from fulfilling its constitutional obligations to the people as they pursue their fanatical agenda of mayhem, mass murder, division and separatism.

10.While the efforts at persuasion and dialogue will continue, let me reiterate that we have a sacred duty to ensure the security and well-being of all our people and protect the sovereign integrity of our country. Therefore, we shall, on no account, shy away from doing whatever becomes necessary to provide the fullest possible security for the citizens of this country in any part of the country they choose to reside.

11.We have a duty to stand firm against those who threaten the sovereign integrity of the Nigerian state. Our will is strong, because our faith lies in the indivisibility of Nigeria.

12.Following recent developments in the affected states, it has become necessary for Government to take extraordinary measures to restore normalcy. After wide consultations, and in exercise of the powers conferred on me by the provisions of Section 305, sub-section 1 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 as amended, I hereby declare a State of Emergency in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states.

13. Accordingly, the Chief of Defence Staff has been directed to immediately deploy more troops to these states for more effective internal security operations. The troops and other security agencies involved in these operations have orders to take all necessary action, within the ambit of their rules of engagement, to put an end to the impunity of insurgents and terrorists.

14. This will include the authority to arrest and detain suspects, the taking of possession and control of any building or structure used for terrorist purposes, the lock-down of any area of terrorist operation, the conduct of searches, and the apprehension of persons in illegal possession of weapons.

15.The details of this Proclamation will be transmitted to the National Assembly in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution. But in the meantime, let me make it clear that within the purview of this Proclamation, the Governors and other political office holders in the affected states will continue to discharge their constitutional responsibilities.

16. I urge the political leadership in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states to co-operate maximally with the Armed Forces and the Police to ensure that the exercise succeeds. We call on the citizenry to co-operate with our security agencies to ensure a return to normalcy within the shortest possible time.

17.I am again approaching our neighbouring countries, through diplomatic channels, as done in the recent past, for their co-operation in apprehending any terrorist elements that may escape across the border.

18.Nigerians are peace-loving people; these sad events perpetrated by those who do not wish our nation well have not changed the essential character of our people.

19. I want to reassure you all that those who are directly or indirectly encouraging any form of rebellion against the Nigerian state, and their collaborators; those insurgents and terrorists who take delight in killing our security operatives, whoever they may be, wherever they may go, we will hunt them down, we will fish them out, and we will bring them to justice. No matter what it takes, we will win this war against terror.

20.I am convinced that with your support and prayers, we shall overcome these challenges and together, we will restore every part of our country to the path of peace, growth and development.

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/build-up-nigeria/full-text-of-president-jonathans-national-broadcast-may-14-2013/582673555089537

83 Likes

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Buchianom(m): 8:04pm On May 14, 2013
Wise decision by the president!! Kudos GEJ!!

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Archmed(m): 8:04pm On May 14, 2013
Long Overdue.
Coming at a time when the Nigeria Governor's forum stood against the imposition of state of emergency ( I wonder what constitutional right they've got to challenge the authority of the Commander-in-Chief)
F**ls playing politics with the precious lives of Nigerians!
Very soon,just soon,Mr President,and you power thirsty Governors,''state of emergency'' speeches would become useless.Nigerians would laugh @ ur ''we are on top of the situation'' broadcast.
Cos soon,we would take up arms and defend ourselves! The day the oppressed stand up to resist the oppressors(boko Haram and sisters),d heavens will stand still.
Long live the Nigerian masses!!

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by adexsimply(m): 8:05pm On May 14, 2013
hmmmn...not half bad
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by gilgal7(f): 8:05pm On May 14, 2013
bravo...now u r talkin....mek we pop champaigne....peace will surely return....pikin who say him mama no go sleep him too go shine eye till day break.....boko haram....now una go see wetin be nigerian army...KILL THEM ALL......hahahaha

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by samuel900(m): 8:06pm On May 14, 2013
Good Bro.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 14, 2013
These terrorists and insurgents seem determined to establish control and authority over parts of our beloved nation and to progressively overwhelm the rest of the country. In many places, they have destroyed the Nigerian flag and other symbols of state authority and in their place, hoisted strange flags suggesting the exercise of alternative sovereignty

Why hasn't the areas be bombarded for long? We wasted time ooooo. How can they mount strange flags in our country, are they mad? (kai, i dey vex).

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by infolpf: 8:08pm On May 14, 2013
Strong statement from a seeming ineffectual leader!
May God continue to help Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by eddyj36(m): 8:08pm On May 14, 2013
good news.. lets see the army handle the BH bastards the way they deserve..

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by jydmak(m): 8:08pm On May 14, 2013
better!
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by aligwe07: 8:09pm On May 14, 2013
Nice one Mr president.Thanks for being the best president ever.God Guide and protect you from evil.so as one man (jesus christ) isn't accepted by everyone as his/her lord and personal saviour you cannot solve all our problems in Nigeria but I know that you'll go down in our history books as one of the most fair and democratic president ever.God bless you sir as he helps you conquer your enemies.

67 Likes

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by manny4life(m): 8:09pm On May 14, 2013
For once, GEJ has taken a FIRM STAND against TERROR.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Nobody: 8:09pm On May 14, 2013
Ok
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Rapmaestro(m): 8:10pm On May 14, 2013
How does that solve the problem? Can someone explain it to me.... Wtf,

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by fkaz(m): 8:10pm On May 14, 2013
15.The details of this Proclamation will be transmitted to the National Assembly in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution. But in the meantime, let me make it clear that within the purview of this Proclamation, the Governors and other political office holders in the affected states will continue to discharge their constitutional responsibilities. .

The bolded got me confused cool how would a state governor discharge his constitutional responsibilities and you said you declared state of emergency in the state. The state governor still remain the chief security officer of the state.
BTW the JTF has been searching, locking-down area suspected to be terrorist hide-out before now, with the state governor discharging their duty.

I tire for this kind of leader

16 Likes

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by mymz(f): 8:10pm On May 14, 2013
"19. I want to reassure you all that those who are directly or indirectly encouraging any form of rebellion against the Nigerian state, and their collaborators; those insurgents and terrorists who take delight in killing our security operatives, whoever they may be, wherever they may go, we will hunt them down, we will fish them out, and we will bring them to justice. No matter what it takes, we will win this war against terror".

No you did not just try to copy Obama's statement on terror @the bolded. i thought you were going to find, fish, flush, hunt, catch, bind, tie them and give them amnesty? undecided

15 Likes

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Eneze1(f): 8:12pm On May 14, 2013
Good one from the president, its long overdue
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Monimatic(m): 8:12pm On May 14, 2013
Commander In Chief, Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Goodluck Jonathan(GCON) has spoken, anybody or group of Persons not happy with the Constitutional declaration of STATE OF EMERGENCY in Yobe, Borno and Adamawa, should go and hang TRANSFORMER or move out of Nigeria voluntarily with immediate effect.
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigera
[quote][/quote]

28 Likes

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Queen1(f): 8:12pm On May 14, 2013
State of Emergency isn't rily going to solve anything jare... Na today?
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by omiobo: 8:13pm On May 14, 2013
I'm in support of this move. We need to settle this once and for all. Nigeria must put in order.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by g20302: 8:14pm On May 14, 2013
Haba! Wetin. Overdue.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by innocentmartini: 8:15pm On May 14, 2013
I wish the more deployed troops victory against these insurgents and terrorists. Long live peace in Nigeria, Long live the federal Republic of Nigeria. PEACE
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by flames77(m): 8:15pm On May 14, 2013
GEJ,YOU DON TALK,WE HERE,DO AS YOU SAY.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by ZUBY77(m): 8:15pm On May 14, 2013
Great. Its about time we tell these terorists that no part of Nigeria can succesifully host them.

BTW... What hot item can one export from 8iafra to the terror enclaves of Borno and Yobe. This is good time for business in those regions.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Nobody: 8:16pm On May 14, 2013
We need to see the action, thank you.

Talk is talk and action is action, there's a difference.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Nobody: 8:18pm On May 14, 2013
truth4meal:
Dear compatriots,

19. I want to reassure you all that those who are directly or indirectly encouraging any form of rebellion against the Nigerian state, and their collaborators; those insurgents and terrorists who take delight in killing our security operatives, whoever they may be, wherever they may go, we will hunt them down, we will fish them out, and we will bring them to justice. No matter what it takes, we will win this war against terror.

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/build-up-nigeria/full-text-of-president-jonathans-national-broadcast-may-14-2013/582673555089537

Taken 3 featuring Jona, Iheajerika, and introducing Mallam Shekau

Coming to cinemas near you this Summer
cool

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Nobody: 8:18pm On May 14, 2013
Good one. I expect evry honest migeria to support him. But ofcourse some stupid ones will complain

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by snowytee(m): 8:18pm On May 14, 2013
But why didn't he relinquish power from the governors at least for the mean time.Those fools that have watched things go awry.Good one Bro Jonah

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Uchpappi: 8:18pm On May 14, 2013
what i don't understand is why he left all the politicians in those states to occupy their seats knowing fully well that some of them work with these terrorists. if the politicians still control the resources of those states then what he has simply done is renaming what has already been in place.In my opinion he should have removed all the politicians and maybe leave only the governor as a figure head

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Nobody: 8:19pm On May 14, 2013
gboss4sure:

Why hasn't the areas be bombarded for long? We wasted time ooooo.

Imagine?

For some strange reason, over the past few weeks, i've just been having this mental image of someone fiddling while rome burned.

Now i know why.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Fogman(m): 8:19pm On May 14, 2013
Welcome development, though late in coming

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Bokoharam Kidnaps Cameroon's Vice Prime Minister's Wife / Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult / Court Sacks Uche Secondus As PDP Member And National Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.