Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,092 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:35 AM

Did Larry Page Just Insult Africa And India? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Did Larry Page Just Insult Africa And India? (1101 Views)

Tecno Mentioned Among Top Smartphone Seller In Africa And Middle East. / Airtel Africa And Facebook Launch Free Basic Services In Nigeria And Africa / Kenya, South Africa And Angola Have Better Smart Phone Culture Than Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Larry Page Just Insult Africa And India? by Hackomania(m): 8:16am On May 16, 2013
Thanks to not-too-bad-bandwidth, I was at the Google I/O developer conference yesterday. It was nice though (except that Google is beginning to copy other apps) Google Maps now feels more like Siri, Google+ is now like Facebook + Pinterest. But that's by the way.
Larry Page (he's the CEO of Google, and brain behind PageRank) made a comment I feel doesn't paint my continent, and invariably, my country in a good light.

Question (from a developer at the conference): Can you discuss Google’s plan to bring the developing world online?

Larry: One of the things I’ve always talked about with the company is that smartphones are going to be, basically, amazing in this places. You don’t see them going into India or Africa because they’re just too expensive. We need to get them to $50, $100. We’re quickly getting to those levels. In 2 or 3 years, the smartphones we’re using today will be all over these countries.

My question: What is this supposed to mean? Did anyone just forget that we are one of the biggest drivers in the mobile phone market? Wasn't the Galaxy S4 just launched in Nigeria a few hours ago, just days after its launch worldwide? Is this not an insult?
Larry needs to visit Computer village and see for himself abeg.
Re: Did Larry Page Just Insult Africa And India? by JameyMaxwell(m): 8:48am On May 16, 2013
Na true ooo.
But I still say F**k him
Re: Did Larry Page Just Insult Africa And India? by Bawss1(m): 8:49am On May 16, 2013
Hackomania:
My question: What is this supposed to mean? Did anyone just forget that we are one of the biggest drivers in the mobile phone market? Wasn't the Galaxy S4 just launched in Nigeria a few hours ago, just days after its launch worldwide? Is this not an insult?
Larry needs to visit Computer village and see for himself abeg.

Truth is Nigeria is a huge market for mobile devices but of the low end and mid range variety. [s]Witness how these Tecno airheads are all over the place[/s] grin There are still people who use high end mobiles here but they pale in comparison to entry level users and this group(entry level group) is set to experience even more growth in the coming years.
Re: Did Larry Page Just Insult Africa And India? by jedisco(m): 9:38am On May 16, 2013
Though it may be too blunt, I would have to agree partially with him especially with all the Tecno phones flying around.
Re: Did Larry Page Just Insult Africa And India? by Francheezy(m): 12:07pm On May 16, 2013
I SEE TECNO HATERS
@TOPIC ~ D guy is a pr*ck

1 Like

Re: Did Larry Page Just Insult Africa And India? by Nobody: 12:20pm On May 16, 2013
op no mind that bomboclat. People are wise now.

Say No to stup*d overated phones

1 Like

Re: Did Larry Page Just Insult Africa And India? by Bawss1(m): 12:53pm On May 16, 2013
9jadelta: op no mind that bomboclat. People are wise now.

Say No to stup*d overated phones

bomboclat ?

You realize that Larry Page is the CEO of Google? You know, that company that makes the OS that allows, amongst others, a certain Chinese OEM to make phones for those people that couldn't before now own a smartphone.
Re: Did Larry Page Just Insult Africa And India? by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 16, 2013
Bawss1:

bomboclat ?

You realize that Larry Page is the CEO of Google? You know, that company that makes the OS that allows, amongst others, a certain Chinese OEM to make phones for those people that couldn't before now own a smartphone.
i called him bomboclat for his comment and the insult NOT his personalty. Gerrit?

(1) (Reply)

Help With Tecno Carl-care Centers In Lagos Addresses / Glo Surprised Me!! / Tecno R7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.