Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,536 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

ASUP Strike - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUP Strike (82124 Views)

ASUU And ASUP Strike: How Have You Been Spending Your Time? / Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike / ASUP Strike Called Off With No Demand Fulfilled? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUP Strike by PrinceNicholas(m): 4:39pm On Jun 14, 2013
its not true cos frm wat i read frm google, they are holdin a meetin on d 24th of dis month....d outcom of d meetin will determin if to continue d strike or suspend it..jst type ASUP STRIKE on ur google and read....
Re: ASUP Strike by Elbizzcklinz(m): 7:06am On Jun 15, 2013
Prince Nicholas: its not true cos frm wat i read frm google, they are holdin a meetin on d 24th of dis month....d outcom of d meetin will determin if to continue d strike or suspend it..jst type ASUP STRIKE on ur google and read....
google and a talk made by the education minister telling Asup to suspend the strike that there renaming need will be met on Ait news which is preferable
Re: ASUP Strike by Elbizzcklinz(m): 7:07am On Jun 15, 2013
Prince Nicholas: its not true cos frm wat i read frm google, they are holdin a meetin on d 24th of dis month....d outcom of d meetin will determin if to continue d strike or suspend it..jst type ASUP STRIKE on ur google and read....
google and a talk made by the education minister telling Asup to suspend the strike that there remaining need will be met on Ait news which is preferable
Re: ASUP Strike by Nobody: 8:02am On Jun 15, 2013
Elbizzcklinz: google and a talk made by the education minister telling Asup to suspend the strike that there remaining need will be met on Ait news which is preferable
Actually minister cannot tell them to resume, only ASUPs statement is credible.
Re: ASUP Strike by PrinceNicholas(m): 4:31pm On Jun 15, 2013
salaksmana: Actually minister cannot tell them to resume, only ASUPs statement is credible.
or...ask him oooo....d minister ask dem to suspend did d asup president agree?
Re: ASUP Strike by IBRAOLAK: 1:34pm On Jun 17, 2013
I heard a rumor that ASUP and FG will hold a meeting on 22nd of this month. If it is true, Pls lets pray for positive result. Because I'm tired of staying at home.
Re: ASUP Strike by PrinceNicholas(m): 3:42pm On Jun 17, 2013
IBRAOLAK: I heard a rumor that ASUP and FG will hold a meeting on 22nd of this month. If it is true, Pls lets pray for positive result. Because I'm tired of staying at home.
d meetin is on d 24th not 22nd
Re: ASUP Strike by Eve4: 9:05pm On Jun 17, 2013
Heavenly Father any evil plans of my enemy to stop me frm being part of nxt Batch A! HoooolllyyyGhooostt ffirrreee. Scater destroy finish dem ooo. Dis one am hearing rumor dat D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ wil call off by January beter it shud remain as rumor! Cos I cnt fit south
Re: ASUP Strike by OPEYEMIAD(m): 9:19pm On Jun 17, 2013
For those who are still confuse. . . .

The meeting coming up on Monday 24th June is the 74th NEC meeting of ASUP and not an ASUP/FG negotiation meeting.

NEC is the National Executive Council of ASUP. It is the decision making body of ASUP with over 51 delegates representing different institution across the nation.

The meeting is going to span from the 24th to the 28th of June where issues that affect the association will be delibrated upon. The ongoing indefinite strike is apparently one of the top issue to be discussed.

2 Likes

Re: ASUP Strike by Femiblacky(m): 7:39am On Jun 18, 2013
With the suspence and cofusing reports that comes with this strike,I strongly believe that the strike will either be suspended or called off on or before december 25 2013!!
Re: ASUP Strike by shegzy4luv(m): 10:07am On Jun 18, 2013
Femiblacky: With the suspence and cofusing reports that comes with this strike,I strongly believe that the strike will either be suspended or called off on or before december 25 2013!!
dont be stewpid...If d strike is nt called off b4 month end,call me baskaad!
Re: ASUP Strike by OPEYEMIAD(m): 11:44am On Jun 18, 2013
Usually most of us should be getting ready for morning lectures by now.

Take a quick bath, warm up the food, finish up the assignment, trying hard to choose a dress for today's class. . .and Wow! running out of time. . . .

That was just a few months ago. The ongoing ASUP strike has impede on these activities. But mind you,

"NOTHING LAST FOR EVER AND EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON."

am very sure before this month end

1 Like

Re: ASUP Strike by Sallybee: 2:30pm On Jun 18, 2013
pls, can sum 1 breif me if btech is part of asup demand 4rm fG wit a geneu source coz smbody argue wt me?
Re: ASUP Strike by AAAdam(m): 5:28pm On Jun 18, 2013
CrazyMan:

Academic Staff Union Of Polytechnics.
U mind dem!
Re: ASUP Strike by Eve4: 2:12pm On Jun 19, 2013
Sally bee: pls, can sum 1 breif me if btech is part of asup demand 4rm fG wit a geneu source coz smbody argue wt me?
My dear Btech is nt dia major reason 4 embarkin on d strike, D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ ar jus usin dat to cover up dia intrest so dat it won't look as if D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ are selfish. D truth, d strike is 4 d best intrest of d poltechnic staff, retirement age, benefits, salary blablabla.
Re: ASUP Strike by OPEYEMIAD(m): 6:22pm On Jun 20, 2013
fear catch me when i read this

FG not ready to implement agreement – ASUP

Leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics, ASUP, Wednesday accused the federal government of being unwilling to resolve the crisis that has crippled academic activities in polytechnics across the country.
National President ofASUP, Chibuzor Asomugha in a telephone interview with Vanguard said that since the federal government had remained adamant over the implementation of agreements entered with the union, the polytechnics would remain closed till when government would be ready to do the necessary thing.

Asomugha noted thatthe union had made spirited efforts to make government see the need to implement the agreements, stating that ASUP leadership had met with the Ministers of Education and Labourabout three weeks ago to resolve the imbroglio but to no avail.

He said that out of about 15 demands ofthe union only one which was constitution of governing council was half met while about six governing councils were yet to be constituted, adding, “Governmenthas not listened to us in any measure of engagement.

The ASUP President said that going by the lip service the federal government was paying to the polytechnic educationin the country, the strike would last as long as possible till the time the government would listen and implement the agreement entered into.
Source: Vanguard News 19th June 2013
Re: ASUP Strike by lovelyayo(m): 12:15pm On Jun 22, 2013
Let us pray
Re: ASUP Strike by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jun 22, 2013
The Meeting between ASUP and FG is next tomorow 24th june 2013!!!let's pray it comes out with positive results that would make us all happy!
Re: ASUP Strike by Ugwutownboy(m): 12:50pm On Jun 23, 2013
Please i want to know if i can be able to flash corrupted memory card and how to do it.
Re: ASUP Strike by shegzy4luv(m): 7:17pm On Jun 23, 2013
Ugwu townboy: Please i want to know if i can be able to flash corrupted memory card and how to do it.
u don miss road,whereas...Grammar police suppose 2 arrest u,did ur gns lecturer die young?

2 Likes

Re: ASUP Strike by PrinceNicholas(m): 9:20am On Jun 24, 2013
pls i hered dat akwapoly resumes 2day..24th.is it true?
Re: ASUP Strike by Ayor93(m): 12:15pm On Jun 24, 2013
Bad guy..u finish d guy sha
shegzy4luv: u don miss road,whereas...Grammar police suppose 2 arrest u,did ur gns lecturer die young?
Re: ASUP Strike by hardeyeanc(m): 1:50pm On Jun 24, 2013
Pls wht is d latest about ds ongoing strike, i hrd dere is going to be meeting today, has anyone know n d outcome of d meeting
Re: ASUP Strike by OPEYEMIAD(m): 1:51pm On Jun 24, 2013
Poly students lock down Ikorodu road inprotest
There is heavy traffic on theIkorodu expressway, Lagos as students of Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro, Ogun Stateare protesting the long strikecaused by disagreement between the Federal Government and academic staff of the school.
The students said although their schoolis located in OgunState, they decided to protest on Ikorodu Road, Lagos because the road is owned by the Federal Government.
The students, who are over 200, are alsocalling on students in other higher institutions in Lagos to join their cause..
Re: ASUP Strike by OPEYEMIAD(m): 9:04pm On Jun 24, 2013
Speaking with journalists after about four hours meeting
between the union and the government negotiating team, said ASUP members were not in a hurry to call off the strike.
Awuzie added that the unionwould meet again on Tuesday with the government. He said, “We have had deliberations. We have looked at the issues. We have made some progress. We are likely to continue very early tomorrow morning. If we fought there, you
would not see us smiling. “All of us are patriots. We are
talking about one thing: The good of educational system in
Nigeria. There are no adverse roles in this struggle. There are
no winners, there are no losers. “We all appreciate the decay and
the rot in the system. And we think that, that is a very
important sector of our national life which has to be propelled.”
Asked when the strike would be called off, Awuzie simply said,
“It’s not over.”
He however expressed optimism that all grey areas in the
agreement would be “resolved very soon.”
Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqqayattu Rufai, debunked
media reports that she had promised an end to the strike on
Monday. She however reiterated the fact that the strike might soon be called off going by the extent of deliberations between the two parties. Rufai said, “Based on what we have done so far, the strike may be called off.
“Today as you have seen, we have met. We have made
progress and of course we are still talking. Even tomorrow
at 10am, we have another meeting with ASUU. So,
we are making progress.” Labour and Productivity Minister,
Chief Emeka Wogu, also expressed optimism that the ongoing negotiations would end with more concrete resolutions.
He said: “We are working seriously to make sure that we resolve the issues that have arisen from the strike. We have made progress. We believe that at the end of full discussions on
this strike, we will come to a conclusion that will be more
lasting than the previous ones.

1 Like

Re: ASUP Strike by Rotimiseyi(m): 9:24pm On Jun 24, 2013
OPEYEMI AD: Speaking with journalists after about four hours meeting
between the union and the government negotiating team, said ASUP members were not in a hurry to call off the strike.
Awuzie added that the unionwould meet again on Tuesday with the government. He said, “We have had deliberations. We have looked at the issues. We have made some progress. We are likely to continue very early tomorrow morning. If we fought there, you
“It’s not over.”
Monday. She however reiterated the fact that the strike might soon be called off going by the extent of deliberations between the two parties. Rufai said, “Based on what we have done so far, the strike may be called off.
Chief Emeka Wogu, also expressed optimism that the ongoing negotiations would end with more concrete resolutions.
He said: “We are working seriously to make sure that we resolve the issues that have arisen from the strike. We have made progress. We believe that at the end of full discussions on
Thx so much 4 dis vital info. Pls keep us posted wit d latest.
Re: ASUP Strike by Ayor93(m): 9:28pm On Jun 24, 2013
OPEYEMI AD: Speaking with journalists after about four hours meeting
“It’s not over.”

i hate all these..smh..
Re: ASUP Strike by Bamo89: 5:39am On Jun 25, 2013
Good Work bro, pls keep us updated and as u do so d Lord God will bless u
Re: ASUP Strike by OPEYEMIAD(m): 1:24pm On Jun 25, 2013
ASUP urges FG to show more commitment to education

As the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics, ASUP, strikeenters its 51 day today, theunion yesterday urged the Federal Government to showmore commitment to matters concerning the education sector and polytechnic system in particular.
In a statement signed by ASUP Chairman, Oko Chapter,Dr. Onyeka Uwakwe, the union expressed readiness to commence academic work as soon as the national strike was suspended.
Reaffirming support for the decisions of the National Executive Council, NEC, ASUP- said it was prepared for the hosting of the union’s 74th NEC meeting at Federal Polytechnic, Oko andurged members to lend maximum support.
According to the union, the ongoing strike, which has disrupted activities in polytechnics, was a result offailure of most state governments to implement the approved salary package (COMPCASS) and 65 year retirement age in polytechnics.
However, the union, which frowned on the worrisome state of state-owned polytechnics/monotechnics, noted the efforts of President Goodluck Jonathantowards maintaining peace inrestive parts of the country.
It will be recalled that of the 15 demands of ASUP, only one, which is constitution of governing council, was half met, while about six governing councils are yet to be constituted.
Among the union’s others demands are the continued appointment of unqualified persons as rectors by some state governments; release of the white paper on the visitation to federal polytechnics and continued recognition of the NBTE as aregulatory body for Nigerianpolytechnics, against the creation of a National Polytechnics Commission.
Meanwhile, ASUP chairman- LASPOTECH, Mr Arowolo Olatunji, has confirmed the suspension of its strike, saying the chapter decided to return to classes immediately since some of their demands had been met by Lagos State government.
Although Olatunji did not shed light on the agreementswhich had been met by LagosState government, he pointed out that they had an agreement with the state government over some local issues, stressing that then issues had been resolved.
Source: Vanguard 25, june 2013
Re: ASUP Strike by OPEYEMIAD(m): 1:45pm On Jun 25, 2013
from mark

Re: ASUP Strike by OPEYEMIAD(m): 1:47pm On Jun 25, 2013
Re: ASUP Strike by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jun 25, 2013
@OPEYEMI AD Good work bro, I have faith we will resume before this month end.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Problems Of Research Methodology In Nigeria / SHOCKING: Illegal New Jamb Eligibility Regulation Is Very Real!!! / You Are A Genius If You Have The Solution To This Equation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.