Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,807 members, 7,820,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

Common Medical Fallacies - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Common Medical Fallacies (20385 Views)

Probability Of Contracting 6 Most Common Stds In One Sexual Encounter. / 8 Common Causes Of Infertility In Men / 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Nobody: 1:44pm On May 17, 2013
DICKtator:
Too much s-e-x causes drastic s-per-m loss/reduction?
BS.
Phucccck all day and i still skeet skeet damn well.
Just break for 30 mins and you are back to full yoghourt production
grin grin grin grin
OMG!
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Nobody: 1:45pm On May 17, 2013
lorretta u: staring at a computer screen or tv screen for too long especially at close range isn't too good for the eyesight.TV addicts Beware
Hmnnn....I see
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by shadrach77: 1:45pm On May 17, 2013
i know one that normally works - they say if a baby is having hiccups, put a thread on his/her head. When i was young i saw many mothers try this and it works! Can anybody explain the rational behind this

Another one i heard is, if you are cooking beans and you want the beans to get cooked faster, throw a metal spoon into the cooking pot. That works too

Another one is, if the ironing platform of your pressing iron is stained, apply toothpaste to it to remove it, that works like magic too

Yet another one - if someone pours itching powder (yerepe) on you, rub the affected parts with palm oil. That works too. Bottom line is, not everything in the world can be explained medically or scientifically - deal with that smiley smiley smiley smiley

4 Likes

Re: Common Medical Fallacies by oluking: 1:46pm On May 17, 2013
Haryoryhemie: If U̶̲̥̅̊ put a finger in d nostril and dip it into ur anus, na die be dat
If U̶̲̥̅̊ kiss ur elbow, ur sex will change 2 d opposite

Babymm nna ee you funny diee,i wanna link up wit u grin
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Haryoryhemie(f): 1:50pm On May 17, 2013
oluking:

Babymm nna ee you funny diee,i wanna link up wit u grin
Na so Ȋ̝̊̅ hear A̶̲̥̅♏, abi no be true?
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Nursy(f): 1:52pm On May 17, 2013
tripledub: If ur teeth remove, take am go throw on top d roof of ur house. Anoda one go grow immediately where the first one from comot. I did this when i was young.
me too... Lol grin
tripledub: If ur teeth remove, take am go throw on top d roof of ur house. Anoda one go grow immediately where the first one from comot. I did this when i was young.
me too... Lol
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by An0nimus: 1:52pm On May 17, 2013
slap1: If you eat jollof rice at night, your face will swell the next morning.
this wan dey work lol
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Jarus(m): 1:53pm On May 17, 2013
shadrach77: i know one that normally works - they say if a baby is having hiccups, put a thread on his/her head. When i was young i saw many mothers try this and it works! Can anybody explain the rational behind this

Another one i heard is, if you are cooking beans and you want the beans to get cooked faster, throw a metal spoon into the cooking pot. That works too

Another one is, if the ironing platform of your pressing iron is stained, apply toothpaste to it to remove it, that works like magic too

Yet another one - if someone pours itching powder (yerepe) on you, rub the affected parts with palm oil. That works too. Bottom line is, not everything in the world can be explained medically or scientifically - deal with that smiley smiley smiley smiley

I can't believe we still do this for my baby grin

1 Like

Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Nobody: 1:58pm On May 17, 2013
Djtm: Drinking cow urine stops convulsion temporarily. However, it damages the brain. I learnt that from a medical personnel
Not true, and its a very dangerous practice. Most convulsions tend to stop on their own, at least temporarily irrespective of wether u take anything or not.
The practice of putting the convulsing person's feet in d fire to stop d convulsion or drive away d evil spirit is also baseless & harmful. (severe burns)
Then there's this practice of putting objects like spoon/sticks in between the teeth during convulsions. While this may actually prevent injury to d tongue, it can in itself cause damage to the gums, broken teeth etc.
Best thing to do is leave d convulsing child alone, clear away any harmful objects nearby, and make urgent arrangements to see a doctor...
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by tuoyoojo(m): 2:00pm On May 17, 2013
I couldn't help laffing at some of these fallacies we used to hold as d gospel truth then

Now for the issue of putting iron spoon in beans to make it boil faster..my chemistry teacher then told me dat d iron spoon or nail wud act as impurity inside the water and water dat is not pure would have a higher boiling piont so the with this d beans wud cook faster.

The same tin wit mixing alcohol and water and putting it inside d freeze.I wud neva freeze cuz the alcohol wud increase the freezing point of water except ur freezer can cool way below -40 degree

Anoda fallacy is if pepper gets into ur eyes while cooking,lick a lot of salt...
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Nobody: 2:08pm On May 17, 2013
ladies who apply sperm/semen on their skin look very sexy and shinny
total abstinence from alcohol is bad for the heart
doggy style in sex cant lead to pregnancy
kissin can transfer staph
eating in ur dream can cause cancer of the gullet or intestine

pls is there any truth in these
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Nobody: 2:08pm On May 17, 2013
noskeybaba: Nwanne if u look that pikin wey get appolo for eye, u don catch am be that O°˚˚˚. Via WiFi or bluetooth. grin
lol
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Liverpoolfc(m): 2:27pm On May 17, 2013
sweettweet:

suprised at the point in bold
that is the truth. Have you no heard this quote before? '' You can only be as smart as your mother'' That is why I promise my unborn children a first class brain mother not olodo . For me to say I love you to a lady, she gat to be extra smart and intelligent. I can not afford to date/marry olodo cos I dnt break my promise
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by CocoLoca(f): 2:29pm On May 17, 2013
Boy touches you = Pregnancy grin
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Liverpoolfc(m): 2:39pm On May 17, 2013
Justosaus:
Not true, and its a very dangerous practice. Most convulsions tend to stop on their own, at least temporarily irrespective of wether u take anything or not.
The practice of putting the convulsing person's feet in d fire to stop d convulsion or drive away d evil spirit is also baseless & harmful. (severe burns)
Then there's this practice of putting objects like spoon/sticks in between the teeth during convulsions. While this may actually prevent injury to d tongue, it can in itself cause damage to the gums, broken teeth etc.
Best thing to do is leave d convulsing child alone, clear away any harmful objects nearby, and make urgent arrangements to see a doctor...
convulsion normally resolve itself within 15minute due to fatique of nerve cells involved.in fabril convulsion due to inability of the hypothalamus to regulate the increased temperature in infants, tepid water is apply to the head to lower the temperature and it resolve itself due to neuronal fatique, the same apply to why epileptic patients regain consciousness after a period of time. It is not fatal

1 Like

Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Nobody: 2:41pm On May 17, 2013
Pipsland78: When you stare at the computer for too long it damages your eye/sight.

This one is true. Most especially in the dark. Talking from experience.
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by ArQueBusieR(m): 2:43pm On May 17, 2013
I never knew we had so many villagers on NL.
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by tyosho: 2:53pm On May 17, 2013
Damojo: My grandmum used to tell me to apply ear wax on a developing boil. I have not a boil in 20yrs....sh*t works like zithromax!

This is soooo true.never had a boil in over 30years.once I notice the symptoms,I apply ear wax at the site and next thing it's gone.
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Nobody: 3:01pm On May 17, 2013
obadiah777: IF YOU COUGH SNEEZE AND FART AT THE SAME TIME YOU WILL DIE

It is physiologically and anatomically impossible to cough and sneeze at the same time.

1 Like

Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Kuyorodele: 3:02pm On May 17, 2013
Ur lost tooth wld not replace itself if sighted by a lizard.
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Burger01(m): 3:11pm On May 17, 2013
Jarus: eating fish eye makes you dull.

Eating fish head plus the eyes make you duller..

grin
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Kuyorodele: 3:13pm On May 17, 2013
Haryoryhemie: If U̶̲̥̅̊ put a finger in d nostril and dip it into ur anus, na die be dat
If U̶̲̥̅̊ kiss ur elbow, ur sex will change 2 d opposite
Wetin ur hand dey find inside ur Nyash?

1 Like

Re: Common Medical Fallacies by AjanleKoko: 3:15pm On May 17, 2013
tuoyoojo:
If a child is brillant,its normally a trait gotten from d father..research how ever proofs dat" academic excellence" is a trait that is transfered to the child from d mother...ofcourse let's not forget that external facts has a huge role to play too

Quoted is not true.
Many genes contribute to brain development, and they come from both sides.
It's not possible to tell where intelligence comes from in any case. Else you wouldn't have geniuses being born of illiterate parents, at all.

1 Like

Re: Common Medical Fallacies by ItsUncleDee(m): 3:30pm On May 17, 2013
early mornin urine iz gud 4 ur health..if i dy lie ask person wey dey bside u
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 17, 2013
Liverpoolfc: convulsion normally resolve itself within 15minute due to fatique of nerve cells involved.in fabril convulsion due to inability of the hypothalamus to regulate the increased temperature in infants, tepid water is apply to the head to lower the temperature and it resolve itself due to neuronal fatique, the same apply to why epileptic patients regain consciousness after a period of time. It is not fatal
on point bro. The only thing they do that i usually like is pouring water on the child's body, which helps bring down the temperature...
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Chiyung(f): 3:45pm On May 17, 2013
Wen a guy touches ur breast it will grow very big. ;DWen a guy touches ur breast it will grow very big.
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by stitcheD(m): 3:49pm On May 17, 2013
noskeybaba:
^unless u mean spiritual, its a fat lie. Infact science said that it makes u live longer. ♍ƴ guy try am, u fit be as fresh as M̶̲̅ε̲̣.
It increases blood supply to the brain, the act i.e. especially during orgasm.
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by stitcheD(m): 4:02pm On May 17, 2013
[quote author=shadrach77]i know one that normally works - they say if a baby is having hiccups, put a thread on his/her head. When i was young i saw many mothers try this and it works! Can anybody explain the rational behind this
hiccups usually resolve with time, it has no known medication.others have scientific bases.Check it up
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Daresh(f): 4:03pm On May 17, 2013
sweettweet:

suprised at the point in bold

I read of it recently. Intelligence is passed from mother to child.
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by stitcheD(m): 4:14pm On May 17, 2013
AjanleKoko:
Quoted is not true.
Many genes contribute to brain development, and they come from both sides.
It's not possible to tell where intelligence comes from in any case. Else you wouldn't have geniuses being born of illiterate parents, at all.
Have you ever seen a genius born of dullards? some folks are illiterate because of circumstances not that they are dull.Most genes are maternal
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by mhsanni(f): 4:18pm On May 17, 2013
I still saw this yest and was like SERIOUSLY!!!

WHEN A CHILD IS CONVULSING...PLS DO NOT BURN THE FEET..
Re: Common Medical Fallacies by Nobody: 4:22pm On May 17, 2013
I once attended to a man who was really devastated by how his nursing wife starved him of coitus. The wife told him that spermatozoa would mix with her breast-milk giving to the nursing baby if she dare mate with him.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. / Xiaomi Donates Surgical Masks To Ogun State (photos) / Borehole Water Smelling Like Dead Rat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.