Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,771 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

How Much Was Your First Salary? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Much Was Your First Salary? (1712 Views)

The Hard Truth About Your Salary / My First Salary / Josephine, Airport woman who returned money gets her first salary (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Was Your First Salary? by dearestsewa(f): 12:33am On May 17, 2013
Hi everyone, I am a fresh graduate. I believe in earning nothing less than 6digits of naira at my 1st job. My friends on the one hand say that I should start smwhere evn if it's small bt my parents say that I shd wait 4d job dat wl put an end 2our poverty. I dnt knw whch advice 2follow bt I thot sharing your first remuneratn wt me might help. Thanks- confused NLander.
Re: How Much Was Your First Salary? by Dygeasy(m): 1:57am On May 17, 2013
People talking about their first salary won't help. Whatever job you get that pays your bills and keeps body and soul together with a fraction left to save is the one you should keep. Its not really about the figure.

Abeg no be Nigeria you dey? Visit the job/career section on here and see how things are. Not to intimidate you tho.

My point is keep whatever you get, start somewhere and elevation is yours with faith.

Cheers hon!cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Much Was Your First Salary? by Jarus(m): 4:47pm On May 17, 2013
dearestsewa: Hi everyone, I am a fresh graduate. I believe in earning nothing less than 6digits of naira at my 1st job. My friends on the one hand say that I should start smwhere evn if it's small bt my parents say that I shd wait 4d job dat wl put an end 2our poverty. I dnt knw whch advice 2follow bt I thot sharing your first remuneratn wt me might help. Thanks- confused NLander.

Bros, start somewhere, even if it's 5-digit, especially given that it doesn't appear you are from a rich home.

Although I also set a standard that I wont take any job less than 100k (i.e 6-digit) when I started work, it was because I knew I would have options, given, in all humility, my certificates.

My first real salary (not pre-NYSC and all that) was 163k per month. To God be the glory, five years later, I earn almost five times that.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Was Your First Salary? by dearestsewa(f): 10:47pm On May 17, 2013
Thanks guys. I accepted what I was offered. It's small bt it's beta dan begging 4money frm pple or sitting at home etc. There's dignity in labour. A friend also encouraged me sayn it's far more dan what she startd wt. It's jst a step to greater thns. Thanks guys.

1 Like

Re: How Much Was Your First Salary? by dearestsewa(f): 10:48pm On May 17, 2013
So, work starts monday. Thank God.

1 Like

Re: How Much Was Your First Salary? by Nobody: 10:16am On May 18, 2013
^^^
Congrats on your new job.
I wonder how other people's first salary will help you arrive at a decision. Learn to carve out a career path for yourself and don't base your decisions on other people's expectations or path. No need living a life of comparison. Some people appear luckier than others in their first job (emphasis on the word 'appear'). There is absolutely no need for anyone to brag/whine about their first salary.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Was Your First Salary? by pak: 7:02am On May 20, 2013
dearestsewa: Thanks guys. I accepted what I was offered. It's small bt it's beta dan begging 4money frm pple or sitting at home etc. There's dignity in labour. A friend also encouraged me sayn it's far more dan what she startd wt. It's jst a step to greater thns. Thanks guys.

Good that you accepted it.

Regardless of what people say and your current condition, your first job should not just be about money but you also have to consider your career path, experience and knowledge you'll garner, the ethics of the company and the impact of working for that organisation on your CV.

By the way, I earned 50K on my first employment, Some seven years ago and I don't regret it one bit.

1 Like

Re: How Much Was Your First Salary? by Monicasque(f): 12:27pm On May 21, 2013
start small then grow gradually. i started with a tenth of my current salary. That was 7 years back
Re: How Much Was Your First Salary? by dearestsewa(f): 1:00pm On May 21, 2013
Oh! I jst found out that I got the job through nairaland. Thanks guys...

(1) (Reply)

Do You Want To Learn How To Cook Continental Dishes? / Job Opportunity In Norway, Denmark And Israel / Request For Bitcoin Loan In Any Country From (lentbitcoin.com) - Cryptocurrency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.