Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Fashola's War On The Poor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola's War On The Poor (1000 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu: Militants Declare War On FG / Fashola, Tinubu And Oba Akiolu Observe Eid Prayer (Photo) / Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola's War On The Poor by Nobody: 3:35pm On May 17, 2013
I just read a report titled "Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States"
https://www.nairaland.com/1293409/lagos-jails-120-beggars-deport

I was saddened and moved to tears after reading that report. Many questions arise from such obnoxious and anti-poor policy. Are those 1,708 destitutes not Nigerians? Is Lagos no longer a part of Nigeria? Is Lagos only meant for a certain class of Nigerians? Which law empowers the Lagos state govt to deport a Nigerian from a part of Nigeria? What happened to the 1999 constitution as amended, which states that the PRIMARY purpose of govt is the security and WELFARE of the people? Does "the people" as used in the constitution exempt the destitutes and beggars?

Also very unfortunate is the fact that some Nlanders support such inhumane, obnoxious and wicked policy.

From all indications, it is a case of double jeopardy for the poor in Lagos. The govt churns out policies that impoverishes the people and when the people becomes poor, they'r bundled off to jail or deported.

Why is the Lagos state shying away from its constitutional responsibilities? Why cant these beggars and destitutes be rehabilitated and empowered to rise above poverty level? Even the few criminal elements amongst them can still be prosecuted like other normal citizens. Why cant the govt churn out policies that'll empower more and more Nigerians living in Lagos, thereby reducing the number of destitutes and beggars on the streets? If the govt cannot rehabilitate these people, they should atleast not compound their situation by unnecessary harassment and deportation.

Every sensible Nigerian should condemn this Fashola's war on the poor.
Re: Fashola's War On The Poor by tpia5: 3:48pm On May 17, 2013
insincere 9gerian:

I was saddened and moved to tears after reading that report.

Eyah!

Hope you have your box of tissue handy, sometimes its good to relieve tension, i mean if you need to release the flood gates then by all means do so.
Re: Fashola's War On The Poor by NeoXVI: 4:11pm On May 17, 2013
If they stole or stabbed someone, fine. The govt is within its rights to take them to court. However, they have no right to send anyone out of lagos, Nigerians and non-Nigerians alike. For one, they are not the immigration service, and as for Nigerian citizens, anyone has a right to live anywhere they desire.

It's the same thing I've been saying all along and sadly his advisers are not doing their jobs. There's a perception out there that it is an elitist govt, and day by day they keep reinforcing that perception with their actions. What is wrong in establishing a social net for the poor, a level beyond which no one should fall? What is wrong in establishing affordable housing for the poor instead of bulldozing their abodes under the guise of regulating sanitary conditions?

They must do more to help the poor make something out of their lives, and not add to the misery of these folks.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola's War On The Poor by kunlekunle: 4:20pm On May 17, 2013
most of the guys are nuisance on the streets of lagos.
no address, no relative, no jobs,
what do you expect from the govt when you are not resident.

Go back home.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's War On The Poor by ba7man(m): 4:30pm On May 17, 2013
Most of these beggers are all part of organized criminal rings. They bring them in from northern states based on their deformities (which explains why they all seem to be competing in "Most Deformed begger"). They beg and pay their traffikers a percentage of their daily income. They are unsightly,a source of embarrasment in an already over-crowded State. @Sincere Nigerian. Since you're so concerned, why don't you invite them to come litter the streets of Enugu. They would be so greatful,they might even elect you for a choice position in their association.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola's War On The Poor by Afam4evaIsASlut: 5:00pm On May 17, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
I was saddened and moved to tears after reading that report. Many questions arise from such obnoxious and anti-poor policy. Are those 1,708 destitutes not Nigerians? Is Lagos no longer a part of Nigeria? Is Lagos only meant for a certain class of Nigerians?

But, youre not "saddened and moved to tears" when your President says the $30,000/day he uses for meals is not enough and that he needs more? What of when he insists his wife must get N4Billion to play with just because? Or when he allocates $25,000/day for the animals in Aso Rock zoo while Nigerians starve and die everyday? Are you also saddened and moved to tears when he insists on another N16Billion mansion for his Vice?

I read somewhere that he sounded really angry in his last speech (obviously the result of watching one too many Obama speeches, Rambo and Bourne Identity Movies, plus taking the advice of the American Acting Coaches Reno Omokri contracted to the Presidential Villa); WHY HASNT HE TAKEN THE SAME ANGER TO THE DOORSTEPS OF THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY TO MAKE AN IMPASSIONED SPEECH AND INSIST THAT EVERYONE IN GOVT ACCEPT A 80% PAY SLASH SO THAT FUNDS CAN BE DIVERTED TO NEEDED PROJECTS? See, Mr InsincereNigerian, these monies can be used to alleviate the sufferings of the poor. But you know why your cowboy hat wearing dunce wont propose something like that? Because hes as corrupt as they come and he really thinks govt exists for man to enrich himself.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola's War On The Poor by solopumpy227: 5:04pm On May 17, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I just read a report titled "Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States"
https://www.nairaland.com/1293409/lagos-jails-120-beggars-deport

I was saddened and moved to tears after reading that report. Many questions arise from such obnoxious and anti-poor policy. Are those 1,708 destitutes not Nigerians? Is Lagos no longer a part of Nigeria? Is Lagos only meant for a certain class of Nigerians? Which law empowers the Lagos state govt to deport a Nigerian from a part of Nigeria? What happened to the 1999 constitution as amended, which states that the PRIMARY purpose of govt is the security and WELFARE of the people? Does "the people" as used in the constitution exempt the destitutes and beggars?

Also very unfortunate is the fact that some Nlanders support such inhumane, obnoxious and wicked policy.

From all indications, it is a case of double jeopardy for the poor in Lagos. The govt churns out policies that impoverishes the people and when the people becomes poor, they'r bundled off to jail or deported.

Why is the Lagos state shying away from its constitutional responsibilities? Why cant these beggars and destitutes be rehabilitated and empowered to rise above poverty level? Even the few criminal elements amongst them can still be prosecuted like other normal citizens. Why cant the govt churn out policies that'll empower more and more Nigerians living in Lagos, thereby reducing the number of destitutes and beggars on the streets? If the govt cannot rehabilitate these people, they should atleast not compound their situation by unnecessary harassment and deportation.

Every sensible Nigerian should condemn this Fashola's war on the poor.

Insecere9gerian how work now? Its like your stocks are bullish this moment. So let use this opportunity to smear any other potential opposition Candidate that may still command reasonable followership.
Re: Fashola's War On The Poor by Nobody: 5:16pm On May 17, 2013
APC e-warriors, pls can we stay on the topic? Thank you
Re: Fashola's War On The Poor by solopumpy227: 5:22pm On May 17, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: APC e-warriors, pls can we stay on the topic? Thank you

Sorry Oga but if you asked me I will say you are being miscievious Sir. I am not a Fashola fan but I believe in term of quality decision-making, sense of acumen and service delivery he is still Million years better than your Boss wink.
Re: Fashola's War On The Poor by Nobody: 5:35pm On May 17, 2013
solopumpy227:

Sorry Oga but if you asked me I will say you are being miscievious Sir. I am not a Fashola fan but I believe in term of quality decision-making, sense of acumen and service delivery he is still Million years better than your Boss wink.
APC e-warrior, pls can we stay on the topic? Thank you
Re: Fashola's War On The Poor by Nobody: 5:38pm On May 17, 2013
Afam4evaIsASlut:

But, youre not "saddened and moved to tears" when your President says the $30,000/day he uses for meals is not enough and that he needs more? What of when he insists his wife must get N4Billion to play with just because? Ot when he allocates $25,000/day for the animals in Aso Rock zoo while Nigerians starve and die everyday? Are also saddened and moved to tears when he insists on another N16Billion mansion for his Vice?

I read somewhere that he sounded really angry in his last speech (obviously the result of watching one too many Obama speeches, Rambo and Bourne Identity Movies, plus taking the advice of the American Acting Coaches Reno Omokri contracted to the Presidential Villa); WHY HASNT HE TAKEN THE SAME ANGER TO THE DOORSTEPS OF THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY TO MAKE AN IMPASSIONED SPEECH AND INSIST THAT EVERYONE IN GOVT ACCEPT A 80% PAY SLASH SO THAT FUNDS CAN BE DIVERTED TO NEEDED PROJECTS? See, Mr InsincereNigerian, these monies can be used to alleviate the sufferings of the poor. But you know why your cowboy hat wearing dunce wont propose something like that? Because hes as corrupt as they come and he really thinks govt exists for man to enrich himself.

Everything you wrote could have come out of my mouth.
Re: Fashola's War On The Poor by OurYansh: 6:12pm On May 17, 2013
A PDP booty slave is doing his thing...

Bending over to be rammed in the "wrong place".....

cheesy cheesy
Re: Fashola's War On The Poor by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 17, 2013
Insincere9gerian's fixation on Lagos appears to be an everlasting one. This issue of deportation or "transfer to states of origin" has been discussed extensively in the past, here on Nairaland. I will locate the thread and see if I can post relevant comments
Re: Fashola's War On The Poor by Nobody: 6:28pm On May 17, 2013
naptu2: I'm going to recount from memory because I'm on the move at the moment, but I'll try to get articles, etc when I get to a place of rest. The sources for my memory are newspaper articles, documentaries of Lagos Television, news reports and even nairaland.

[size=14pt]The Process[/size]

1)The environmental laws of Lagos State (laws against street trading, begging, etc) have been in place at least since the 1970s (probably earlier). They've been reviewed quite a number of times (Akhigbe, Rasaki, Tinubu).

2) The process was fully established by the Tinubu Administration.

3) Beggars, street traders, destitutes, area boys, psychotics, etc are arrested by the Task Force on Environmental Offences.

4) They are given a choice: (a) go to prison (b) go to rehabilitation centre (c) return to your state of origin.

A) The law stipulates punishment for those who commit these offences. They include prison term, fine, forfeiture of goods.

B) Rehabilitation centres were set up (the most famous/infamous was at Ita-Oko Island). At the centres the inmates are sorted. They are tested for drugs. Those who are drug addicts are detoxified. Those who have mental illnesses are sent to the asylum. The inmates (apart from the lunatics) are then taught skills (skills acquisition centre) so that they'll be able to earn a living. When they complete the course, they are given a loan with which they will start a business and made to sign an undertaking that they will not return to the streets.

C) Return: Those who choose to return are transported to their state of origin. The state government is usually informed ahead of time (although I know of 3 instances in which their state governments claimed that they were not informed) so that they can make arrangements to cater for the people. Most of the people who have chosen to return are from the northern part of the country (note: they chose to return).
https://www.nairaland.com/newpost?topic=1058435&post=12323589
Re: Fashola's War On The Poor by Nobody: 6:30pm On May 17, 2013
Press Releases

Feb 1, 2005 - LASG Completes N110 Million Ita-Oko Rehabilitation Centre

As part of efforts to offer comprehensive rehabilitation for social miscreants and youths in the state, the Lagos State Government has completed works on the Rehabilitation and Skills Acquisition Centre located at Tekunle Island (Ita Oko) near Ise along the Lekki Peninsula.

The 4200 square metre centre, has facilities for training residents in fabrication, carpentry weaving, an agriculture component (involving snailry, poultry and fish production), detoxification centre, clinic, and residence for 200 along with a staff quarter and helipad.

Lagos State Governor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu who along with his cabinet visited the centre yesterday noted that by the second quarter of the year it would have become operational once the new tools had been fully installed.

He said the pilot phase of the rehabilitation programme will exclude females and will be based on offering the youths a n opportunity for change.

Sounding a note of warning that government's gesture if shunned by "area boys" will lead to dire consequences, Asiwaju Tinubu declared "anyone who refuses this good gesture and our goodwill to offer him/her a new life must be ready to leave Lagos".

According to him, the six months period of residence will not only lead to a complete rehabilitation but also lead to the internationally recognized trade test certificate.

The Governor also said the administration had envisioned a two pronged plan for rehabilitation after graduation either to become self-employed with a financial bank or employable.

He further said his administration plans to have other centres at appropriate areas in the state adding that government will continue to dialogue with miscreants and offer them the goodwill to change.

In a report presented by the Commissioner for Works, Engr. Rauf Aregbesola said about N110 million had been expended by the government in both phases of the rehabilitation of the centre.

According to him, the centre had been established as a slave post but was rehabilitated as a detention camp by the military government in 1985 with such facilities as 12 wooden dormitories, dwarf walls, steel poles and sand screeded floor.

While also stating that the project will be fully delivered by mid-March, Aregbesola urged that the necessary deployments by the Ministry of Youths, Sports and Social Development should be concluded.

Earlier while conducting the Executive Council round the agriculture component Dr. Jide Basorun, Director of Agric. Services disclosed that the facilities have capacity to sustain the centre through the production offish, poultry products and snailry.

According to him with a 1000 layer bird poultry, 2000 fish capacity aquaculture and 1000 capacity snailry, the centre can not only expand but has the yield to make the centre self sustaining.
https://www.nairaland.com/1058435/lagos-deports-anambra-refugees/1
Re: Fashola's War On The Poor by Nobody: 11:57am On May 18, 2013
^^ Why are you spamming this thread with irrelevant posts?

(1) (Reply)

Ahmadu Bello Uni Prof Bags 2 Months Prison Sentence For Enticing Married Woman / 20 years after June 12, 1993 election. How Would You Rate Nigeria's Democracy? / Deplorable Ilorin-kabba Highway To Be Reconstructed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.