Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,725 members, 7,851,482 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:28 PM

Why Tenure Limit For Nigerian Governors? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Tenure Limit For Nigerian Governors? (1241 Views)

Nigerian Governors At Presidential Inauguration In Niger Republic (pix) / I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan / N20k & N200K Deposit Limit For Account Holders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Tenure Limit For Nigerian Governors? by Mohdadutse(m): 7:02pm On May 17, 2013
According to 1999 constitution of the federal republic of nigeria, a governor is a person responsible of the welfare of state and populace where the state and its capital are defined in the constitution. This implies the role of a governor is very mighty that a times finishing some projects in 4 years may be impossible wich brought a chance of 2nd term upon which even that some times are not enough.
In some instance you will have a dedicated working governor with a vision, at the end will have nothing to show because he has unfinish target.
If countries like US is keeping silent when it comes to tenure limit in their constitution to enable congress decide, why nigeria will have limit? Monopoly or capitalism upcourse, if not why?
Re: Why Tenure Limit For Nigerian Governors? by Nobody: 7:08pm On May 17, 2013
grin just thinking of what to write to get many likes
Re: Why Tenure Limit For Nigerian Governors? by Mohdadutse(m): 7:50pm On May 17, 2013
Think well, this thing really touches the states affairs.
If senators and representatives whose work have no direct effect on the populace have unlimited tenures why not governors that make project that have direct effect on people.
Take an example, when governors forum became powerfull, all what GEJ campaign them with is second term, and all the first tenure governors back him, which is the simplest form of corruption, if a governor knows that his re-election faith lies with congress he have to work for them else common state house may impeach him.
Re: Why Tenure Limit For Nigerian Governors? by Mohdadutse(m): 1:46pm On May 19, 2013
Is my topic not worth replaying?
Re: Why Tenure Limit For Nigerian Governors? by KnowAll(m): 1:59pm On May 19, 2013
I think a Governor's tenure should be 2 terms but maybe 2 terms of at least 6 years each. In Africa we are still developing and a Good Governor at the helms of affair could have significant impact on the people than all these 4 year tenure. But having said that, some Governors might find the 6 years too long, tiresome that could lead to complacency and boredom thereby rather than impact positively it could be the opposite.
Re: Why Tenure Limit For Nigerian Governors? by lonelydora: 2:01pm On May 19, 2013
I have said over and over again, 4 years is too small for a governor/president to finish his project. Middle-east countries are good and nice because they use monarch system, which makes a ruler to embark and finish a particular project. What baffles me is that they still put time limit for a project to be delivered, not minding they have eternity to rule. I support one tenure of 8 years in Nigeria.
Re: Why Tenure Limit For Nigerian Governors? by KnowAll(m): 2:17pm On May 19, 2013
^^^^^^^^^^

Haba, I don't suuport one tunre, Politics is fun, the fact that a failing Governor can be thrown out after the first term makes politics very intresting and dynamic. Most Political Thieves loose most of their loot during re-elections and if it so happens they loose the elections they would probably go bankrupt. Many of them would experience untold hardship afterwards.

Can anyone of u just imagine and quantify how much Ohakim of Imo State has loss in his bid to win the elections in Imo State.
Re: Why Tenure Limit For Nigerian Governors? by Mohdadutse(m): 4:54pm On May 19, 2013
You all have spoken well isnt it more fun when a congress cast a vote of no comfidence on a leader or state house impeach, this will surely make the next one to be morecarefull.

(1) (Reply)

A Nairalander Attacked By Armed Robbers In Ota, Ogun State / Why I Hate Gej: The Unofficial Confession Of Ehl Roofai / Apc,an Islamic Brotherhood?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.