Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,376 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

The Timeline Of Religious Invention. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Timeline Of Religious Invention. (1481 Views)

A Fine Example Of Religious Tolerance - *SARCASM* / Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? / The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by cyrexx: 7:57am On May 18, 2013
The universe came into existence about 13 billions years ago…..
The earth came into existence about 4 billion years ago…..
Life on earth came into existence about 3 billions years ago
Hominids came into existence about 2.5 million years ago…
Homo sapiens came into existence about 200, 000 years ago…..
Monotheism came into existence about 6000 years ago….
Christianity came into existence about 2000 years ago…….
Islam came into existence about 1500 years ago…….
Islam and Christianity came into Africa about (earliest) between 800-200 years ago….

The question is….. so after creating the universe and the earth billions of years ago, Big brother had to wait so long to show himself to Africans?

The religious tales told by the Arabs and the Jews cannot be believed by any thinking person.
~ Harlem Ofiamaumaasu Buggatti.

6 Likes

Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by Nobody: 8:31am On May 18, 2013
Dont mind them....

All our ancestors from 300 years ago and beyond are in hell according to their christian/islamic beliefs

1 Like

Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by Mranony: 7:34pm On May 18, 2013
cyrexx:
The question is….. so after creating the universe and the earth billions of years ago, Big brother had to wait so long to show himself to Africans?
This erroneously assumes that the universe is nearer it's end than it's beginning. If it lasts for another 5 trillion years, Will "big brother" have waited so long?

Think my dear Cyrexx think.
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by Nobody: 8:14pm On May 18, 2013
Mr anony:
This erroneously assumes that the universe is nearer it's end than it's beginning. If it lasts for another 5 trillion years, Will "big brother" have waited so long?

Well played....Anony....well played........you dexterously threw in the strawman with style!

This has nothing to do with the end of the universe. It is irrelevant if the world lasts 5000 trillion years from now because the fact remains that God wasted time in reaching out to humans at first with the Jews and then to Africans. Try again.

1 Like

Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by Mranony: 8:20pm On May 18, 2013
Logicboy03:
Well played....Anony....well played........you dexterously threw in the strawman with style!

This has nothing to do with the end of the universe. It is irrelevant if the world lasts 5000 trillion years from now because the fact remains that God wasted time in reaching out to humans at first with the Jews and then to Africans. Try again.
You guys make me laugh sometimes. The strength of the argument lies in how long that time was. You can't say that God wasted time if you can't show that the time is indeed long.
A person living in AD50,000,000,000,000,000,000 will not think that a mere 200,000 years was a waste of time. As far as he will be concerned, God showed up in the very earliest stages of human development.
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by Kay17: 8:53pm On May 18, 2013
200 000yrs doesn't in the least represent urgency or an emergency. Christianity doesn't see the need in the immediate.
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 18, 2013
Mr anony:
You guys make me laugh sometimes. The strength of the argument lies in how long that time was. You can't say that God wasted time if you can't show that the time is indeed long.
A person living in AD50,000,000,000,000,000,000 will not think that a mere 200,000 years was a waste of time. As far as he will be concerned, God showed up in the very earliest stages of human development.

Keep arguing with yourself, bro

grin grin grin
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by Mranony: 6:11am On May 19, 2013
Logicboy03:
Keep arguing with yourself, bro

grin grin grin
My point has been made
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by Nobody: 6:48am On May 19, 2013
Mr anony:
My point has been made

oh, yes, your strawman has been noted.....
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by cyrexx: 7:12am On May 19, 2013
Mr anony:

Actually my post is not about end of the universe as religionists firmly believe, it's about questioning the rationality of belief in a supposed omnipotent creator waiting for like 200,000 years doing "nothing" before waking up 6,000 years ago (about 600 years ago in the case of Africans) to realise that "O, I need to reveal myself to these humans before they lose their souls in hell" What rational being (of course, you know I am merely assuming here that humans were created by a god) will create hominids 2.5 million years ago and made them fully evolved intelligent beings 200,000 years ago and do nothing till about 6,000 years ago (or otherwise about 600 years ago for Africans) to reveal himself to them?

Are you getting my point?

Secondly, looking at this in another light, considering all the apocalyptic and "end of days" emphasis of your christianity worldview, tell me, Mr Anony, do you think it's reasonable for you christians to assume our universe will last that long?
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by Nobody: 7:16am On May 19, 2013
cyrexx:

Actually my post is not about end of the universe as religionists firmly believe, it's about questioning the rationality of a supposed omnipotent creator waiting for like 200,000 years doing "nothing" before waking up to realise that "O, I need to reveal myself to these humans before they lose their souls in hell" What rational being (of course, you know I am merely assuming here that humans were created by a god) will create hominids 2.5 million years ago and made them fully evolved intelligent beings 200,000 years ago and do nothing till about 6,000 years to reveal himself to them?

Secondly, looking at this in another light, considering all the apocalyptic and "end of days" emphasis of your christianity worldview, tell me, Mr Anony, do you think it's reasonable for you christians to assume our universe will last that long?

lol.....Anony has lost his touch- throwing weak strawmen (endof the universe; 5000 years ) and contradicting himself......Anony used to be good,his strawmen had stealth and he could remix things to his favour!

As for the bold.....lol...just lol........some christians shout "end times but yet other christians believe that the world will last 5,000 years!
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by seekingtruth(m): 9:16pm On May 19, 2013
Mr anony:
No wonder He hasn't shown Himself to the animals-- Dogs, Goat, Lions and others. grin

1 Like

Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by plaetton: 11:07pm On May 19, 2013
The god notion makes no sense anyway you look at it. For example, god created the universe 13 billion yrs ago , went to sleep, woke up yesterday to create humans, demands worship today, and will destroy the universe very soon
because he is pissed of at humans.
That is one hell of a tantrum.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by Mranony: 10:53am On May 24, 2013
cyrexx:
Actually my post is not about end of the universe as religionists firmly believe, it's about questioning the rationality of belief in a supposed omnipotent creator waiting for like 200,000 years doing "nothing" before waking up 6,000 years ago (about 600 years ago in the case of Africans) to realise that "O, I need to reveal myself to these humans before they lose their souls in hell" What rational being (of course, you know I am merely assuming here that humans were created by a god) will create hominids 2.5 million years ago and made them fully evolved intelligent beings 200,000 years ago and do nothing till about 6,000 years ago (or otherwise about 600 years ago for Africans) to reveal himself to them?

Oh I see, well on looking at your claim again, I would question the argument that "God did nothing to reveal Himself" until 200,000 years ago. How do you know this to be true?

Let's hear what the bible says about that.

....For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of people who suppress the truth by their unrighteousness, because what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.
For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, because they are understood through what has been made. So people are without excuse.

For although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God or give him thanks, but they became futile in their thoughts and their senseless hearts were darkened.
Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for an image resembling mortal human beings or birds or four-footed animals or reptiles.....

Romans 1:18-23

I have not assumed that the universe will last that long but then as a Christian, nothing stops that from being a possibility. We are not told the time when Christ will return so no it is not an unreasonable position for a christian to hold.

1 Like

Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by UyiIredia(m): 11:43am On May 24, 2013
While cyrexx believes . . .

• That matter constituted itself into the first replicators and the first organism.
• That man descended from ape-like ancestors which can be classified as apes.
• That dinosaurs evolved into birds.
• That fish evolved feet and started to walk on land and progenitized land-based organisms.
• That some mammals evolved to become aquatic-based mammals e.g whales
• That Nature can select better qualities of an organisms.
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by cyrexx: 5:48am On May 25, 2013
Mr anony:
Oh I see, well on looking at your claim again, I would question the argument that "God did nothing to reveal Himself" until 200,000 years ago. How do you know this to be true?

I said God, according to the imaginations of the religious, did nothing to reveal himself to humans until 6,000 years ago. if you have any reference to earlier historical records of the Jews and their imaginary Yahweh before this time, pls let me know.

Let's hear what the bible says about that.

....For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of people who suppress the truth by their unrighteousness, [b]because what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.
For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, because they are understood through what has been made. So people are without excuse.
For although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God or give him thanks, but they became futile in their thoughts and their senseless hearts were darkened.
Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for an image resembling mortal human beings or birds or four-footed animals or reptiles.....

Romans 1:18-23

Seriously, you expect non-christians to take that book seriously? the book that says to murder your your daughter if she's not a virgin on her wedding night? the book that says all manknd are a result of incestuous products of children of Adam and Eve? The book that says the world will end in the lifetime of audiences of Jesus in the first century? Pls, dont get me started on how unreliable and irrelevant that book is when making rational discussions.

Quoting those verses as evidence of God revealing himself to mankind is as good as quoting Harry Potter as evidence of the fact that Lord Voldemort reveals himself to mankind.

Besides, the world has been existing billions of years before religions and their imaginary Gods came on the scene. So telling me that the world is an evidence of the religious Gods is completely out of whack.

I have not assumed that the universe will last that long but then as a Christian, nothing stops that from being a possibility. We are not told the time when Christ will return so no it is not an unreasonable position for a christian to hold.

I am getting confused here:
Christianity's worldview is: Repent, the kingdom of God is at hand. Jesus is coming soon.
Anony is saying here that: Repent, the kingdom of God may not be at hand, Jesus may come soon or not.

1 Like

Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by cyrexx: 5:51am On May 25, 2013
Uyi Iredia: While cyrexx believes . . .

• That matter constituted itself into the first replicators and the first organism.
• That man descended from ape-like ancestors which can be classified as apes.
• That dinosaurs evolved into birds.
• That fish evolved feet and started to walk on land and progenitized land-based organisms.
• That some mammals evolved to become aquatic-based mammals e.g whales
• That Nature can select better qualities of an organisms.

thanks for your input, but how is all these related to the topic of the thread?

1 Like

Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by UyiIredia(m): 6:03am On May 25, 2013
cyrexx:

thanks for your input, but how is all these related to the topic of the thread?

Just highlighting false false beliefs.
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by cyrexx: 6:05am On May 25, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Just highlighting false false beliefs.

thank you for your false statement.
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by UyiIredia(m): 6:35am On May 25, 2013
cyrexx:

thank you for your false statement.

It wasn't false. And on request I can state how those beliefs are false.
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by cyrexx: 6:54am On May 25, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

It wasn't false. And on request I can state how those beliefs are false.

Okay then, be my guest, I want to learn.

but know that I'm totally irreligious and quoting religious books to me is totally out of it.

hit me!

1 Like

Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by Mranony: 7:05am On May 25, 2013
cyrexx:
I said God, according to the imaginations of the religious, did nothing to reveal himself to humans until 6,000 years ago. if you have any reference to earlier historical records of the Jews and their imaginary Yahweh before this time, pls let me know.
By showing you that bible verse, I believe I have showed you "according to the imaginations of the religious". The burden is now upon you to prove that He did not

Seriously, you expect non-christians to take that book seriously? the book that says to murder your your daughter if she's not a virgin on her wedding night? the book that says all manknd are a result of incestuous products of children of Adam and Eve? The book that says the world will end in the lifetime of audiences of Jesus in the first century? Pls, dont get me started on how unreliable and irrelevant that book is when making rational discussions.

Quoting those verses as evidence of God revealing himself to mankind is as good as quoting Harry Potter as evidence of the fact that Lord Voldemort reveals himself to mankind.

Besides, the world has been existing billions of years before religions and their imaginary Gods came on the scene. So telling me that the world is an evidence of the religious Gods is completely out of whack.
Interesting. So on the one hand you want to argue that according to what Christians believe only to turn around and reject what Christians believe when it is presented to you. It doesn't work that way my dear. It is either God created the world or He didn't.
If God created the world, then according to Christians, He has revealed Himself from creation. If He didn't create the world, then your whole argument is moot because your argument hangs on the premise that God created the world your contention is whether He revealed Himself or not.

I am getting confused here:
Christianity's worldview is: Repent, the kingdom of God is at hand. Jesus is coming soon.
Anony is saying here that: Repent, the kingdom of God may not be at hand, Jesus may come soon or not.
Lol, you are deliberately confusing yourself
Christianity's worldview is: Repent, the kingdom of God is at hand. Jesus is coming soon however, the exact hour has not been revealed to us.
Anony is saying here that: Repent, the kingdom of God is at hand. Jesus is coming soon however, the exact hour has not been revealed to us.
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by UyiIredia(m): 7:58am On May 25, 2013
cyrexx:

Okay then, be my guest, I want to learn.

but know that I'm totally irreligious and quoting religious books to me is totally out of it.

hit me!

Okay. I'll make the arguments in the same order as my former list.

• The problem with origin of life scenarios proposed is either that they fail to simulate natural processes by intervening in supposed reactions that supposedly make self-replicating systems. Another is that even if such self-replicating systems are made that inevitably make nothing but compound such as themselves. All life is based on DNA & RNA, these depend on numerous intertwined chemical compounds and reaction with chemical systems in place to limit the effect of outside influences. Self-replicating lack this vital characteristic.

• Human ancestry from apes hasn't and can't be observed. It is supposedly reasonably inferred from fossils and genetic similarities. However there must be a basis for this inference. A similar occurence must prevail which can be used as inductive inference for this conclusion. No such basis exists since in all observed organisms variations occur within limits (eg we don't see a monkey with a human nose). There is also the problems which ape-human evolution poses such as the incapability of reproduction without both sexes, the vulnerability of babies, vast new protein and morphological structures required which are irreducibly complex. Note that I'm even assuming this ape-like ancestor somehow evolved.
• Dinosaur-bird evolution shares the problems stated above. Lemme add that evolution even violates Ockham's razor by the assumption of common ancestry. For example, saying defining a dinosaur bone postulates less than defining it, then supposing the dinosaur progenitized another species.

. . . More to come, chew on these.

1 Like

Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by tchaik(m): 3:23pm On May 27, 2013
@Uyi Iredia, i plead your indulgence bros; please which is more PLAUSIBLE? Cyrexx postulations, or some ancient scripts?

1 Like

Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by UyiIredia(m): 5:00pm On May 27, 2013
tchaik: @Uyi Iredia, i plead your indulgence bros; please which is more PLAUSIBLE? Cyrexx postulations, or some ancient scripts?

Neither. Wishful thinking pervades both.
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by am0sn0nyu: 6:40pm On Jun 19, 2015
cyrexx:
The universe came into existence about 13 billions years ago…..
The earth came into existence about 4 billion years ago…..
Life on earth came into existence about 3 billions years ago
Hominids came into existence about 2.5 million years ago…
Homo sapiens came into existence about 200, 000 years ago…..
Monotheism came into existence about 6000 years ago….
Christianity came into existence about 2000 years ago…….
Islam came into existence about 1500 years ago…….
Islam and Christianity came into Africa about (earliest) between 800-200 years ago….

The religious tales told by the Arabs and the Jews cannot be believed by any thinking person.
~ Harlem Ofiamaumaasu Buggatti.

I wonder which in between those distant period did polytheism fits into ?
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by menesheh(m): 6:50pm On Jun 19, 2015
How do you know all those dates? Guess who will ask this sort of grin question? =

grin
Re: The Timeline Of Religious Invention. by ghostofsparta(m): 7:19pm On Jun 19, 2015
am0sn0nyu:

I wonder which in between those distant period does the emergence of polytheism fits into ?

(1) (Reply)

I Will Be A Christian Apologist For Some Hours/days / Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? / The Day A Fake Seminarian Was Arrested At Ikpayongo,benue State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.