Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,405 members, 7,861,142 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:00 AM

Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers (8471 Views)

Meet Hajia Gambo The Female Truck Driver At Dangote / "President Jonathan Is Chairman Of Boko Haram" - Maiduguri Truck Drivers To BBC / PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by imperiouxx(m): 3:21pm On May 18, 2013
bebe2: I bet they will be better drivers, less chance of being drunk and no raging testosterone.

How about fizzy Progesterone?
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by BuBBle1(f): 3:47pm On May 18, 2013
Demdem:

nothing is wrong in that. There is also nothing wrong in engaging them as truck drivers also. afterall they are humans.
. U feel there is nothing wrong in engaging them as that, i hope u r joking cos if they taking women they also need men and I believe nothing will make u apply for that opportunity talk of advising the most illiterate member of ur family to apply esp females so get real.
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by Demdem(m): 4:57pm On May 18, 2013
_BuBBle_: . U feel there is nothing wrong in engaging them as that, i hope u r joking cos if they taking women they also need men and I believe nothing will make u apply for that opportunity talk of advising the most illiterate member of ur family to apply esp females so get real.

There are different cadres/class in the society. If mine or ur class doesn't fit in, be rest assured that some will fit in. Besides we already have ladies driving these trucks. Is it not the same lagos we have lady mechanics that are being celebrated. There is dignity in labour. Again I reinstate that nothing is wrong in ladies driving those trucks especially if they are new.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by ekoileee: 5:34pm On May 18, 2013
mutaalim: But truck driving is not befitting women

What do you tell a woman looking for a truck driving job? You say to her no that she can not because truck driving is not befitting for women?

Is this not sexist, prejudicial and discriminatory? I don't think the people of Lagos state want that kind of backward ways and culture..
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by Haslad(m): 5:40pm On May 18, 2013
NICE 1
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by ekoileee: 5:41pm On May 18, 2013
Demdem:

There are different cadres/class in the society. If mine or ur class doesn't fit in, be rest assured that some will fit in. Besides we already have ladies driving these trucks. Is it not the same lagos we have lady mechanics that are being celebrated. There is dignity in labour. Again I reinstate that nothing is wrong in ladies driving those trucks especially if they are new

Well said.

The same way women are driving trucks, say way they occupy and dominate important possitions all over...

The Lagos judiciary alone is dominated by women....

The old saying that what a man can do, a woman can do better is presently playing out in the Lagos State Judiciary. Before now, male judges and magistrates dominated the state judiciary just like in other states of the federation. Female judges simply took the back seat while their male counterparts took the leadership position. The situation has however changed as women are now in charge.

Statistics obtained by our correspondent from the state Ministry of Justice revealed that of the 184 judicial officers in the state judiciary, 128 are female. The statistics also showed that only 17 of the 52 high court judges in the state are men.

•Justice Ayotunde Phillips
Also, 11 out of the 13 judges next in rank to the state chief judge are women. The current chief judge, Justice Ayotunde Phillips, who is also a woman is closely followed in rank by three female judges. The CJ is closely followed in rank by her sister, Justice Atilade. The first ranking male judge is in the fourth position while the next male judge after him is in the 12th position.

The following is a list of the first thirteen judges in the state and how they stand in order of ranking: Justice A. A Phillips (Chief Judge) (F), Justice F.O Atilade (F), Justice O.O. Oke (F), Justice O.A. Adefope-Okogie (F), Justice K.O. Alogba (M), Justice D.T. Okuwobi (F) Justice A.O. Kayode-Ogunmekan (F), Justice Y.O. Idowu (F) Justice T.A. Oyekan-Abdullai (F) Justice Ojikutu-Oshode (F) Justice A. Olateru-Olagbegi (M) Justice D.O. Oluwayemi (F), Justice G.M. Onyeabo (F) and Justice O.A. Ipaye (F).

At the magisterial section of the judiciary the issue of female dominance is also the same. Statistics show that of the 14 chief magistrates (Grade I) only three are men while all the nine chief magistrates (Grade II) are women. Although the first two ranking magistrates are men, they are closely followed in ranking by nine female magistrates. Of the 16 chief magistrates (grade 11) only two are male while 14 are female. In the 57 senior magistrates (grade 1&2 categories) 19 are male while 38 are female. In the magistrates (grade 1&2) levels, 4 are men while 14 are female.

The foregoing statistics clearly show that women dominate in the state judiciary and going by the 65 years old retirement age for all civil servants and the Lagos State Government principle of appointment in the judiciary, the dominance of female judges and magistrates may continue for more than two decades.

Some lawyers who spoke to P.M.NEWS on the issue said the current dominance of women in the state judiciary has both positive and negative implications.

Barrister Robert Ikem in his comment said the development is a positive one for the state judiciary as women are less susceptible to corruption.

“I believe the development is a good one for the state judiciary. We all know that women are less susceptible to corruption. I am not saying that all men are corrupt but the fact remains that women are less likely to be corrupt than women. Secondly, I believe that women make better administrators than men. So in terms of effectively administering the judiciary, I believe the women will do better,” he said.

Another lawyer Mr. Benjamin Umudjoro, however, said the dominance of women in the state judiciary may not all be positive for the third arm of government.

Mr. Umudjoro said though women judges may be better administrators than their male counterparts, some women judges in the state are very lazy.

—Henry Ojelu].

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/02/12/women-take-over-lagos-judiciary/
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by KayDee4: 5:43pm On May 18, 2013
If truck-driving is a woman's ákáráká and she's willing to do the job, then why not.
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by Nicepoker(m): 6:47pm On May 18, 2013
Hope not those trucks that are equiped wit air breaking system.
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by mapet: 7:27pm On May 18, 2013
Bull.crap. you don't make sense to me.....
_BuBBle_: . what is wrong with engaging them in offices, and ensuring that since they can drive trucks they shd use their initiatives for development and fighting corruption. Women shd appear elegant(not ashawo either) at all times not like agbero,that is my ownooo
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by mapet: 7:32pm On May 18, 2013
Do you think you give jobs for giving sakes? Some of you with ridiculous submissions at times...... Even in foreign countries women are truck drivers, loggers, train drivers, in the Military, pilots etc. The fundamental thing is that they are gainfully employed to make the society a better place.

The average train driver in UK earns over 25k-30k pounds per year (some average bankers in Nigeria don't earn that). So talking about not wanting relatives in "what situation" is plain thoughtless.

deols: The government should give them better jobs. Many people saying good move wouldn't want their female relatives in this situation.
Imagine any of them being pregnant and driving trucks.

Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by mapet: 7:36pm On May 18, 2013
Even in the days of LSTC, women were driving those long buses.
Demdem:

There are different cadres/class in the society. If mine or ur class doesn't fit in, be rest assured that some will fit in. Besides we already have ladies driving these trucks. Is it not the same lagos we have lady mechanics that are being celebrated. There is dignity in labour. Again I reinstate that nothing is wrong in ladies driving those trucks especially if they are new.
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by solopumpy227: 7:40pm On May 18, 2013
Please I want to pictures ooo. I dont believe politricians again. I have seen a good number of female commercial tri-cycle drivers in Lagos so training them to drive truck should not be a big deal. Like many have pointed out we have women driving trains, truck, buses in US, UK and many other developed nations.
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by cfours: 7:59pm On May 18, 2013
nice.
these women will be able to pay school fees for their children and have better lives.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by oduz: 9:18pm On May 18, 2013
uhuns: Gud effort
I saw it happened in calabar/uyo 5yrs ago and in edo stare 2yrs ago.
secondly to the site owner remove rule 17

.... Osun, over a year ago ....
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by ekoileee: 9:22pm On May 18, 2013

1 Like

Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by ekoileee: 9:29pm On May 18, 2013
A peep into LAWMA’s world of female truck operators

Asked to share her experience since taking on the job after undergoing training for four months, Mshedia, who covers Marina, CMS, and Apapa, states: “People used to pass discouraging comments when I started newly, but now they appreciate me. Aside this, there is no difficulty,” attributing motivation to interest. “I have interest in driving, so when I heard about the recruitment, I applied for it. I started September last year and I am enjoying the job,” she affirms.

Another female operator, Rashidat Adewole, who also shared her experience with excitement, discloses that “it is not easy driving a truck, but I am okay with the job and people appreciate me when on steering. I will do this as long as there is LAWMA.”

Ojubara Abijan, another female truck operator who also spoke to CityFile, notes she became interested in the job when a friend informed her that LAWMA was recruiting female drivers. “At that time, I was not really doing anything. I was just at home waiting to secure admission into higher institution. It has been exciting so far and there is no regret since I joined. I am happy to be part of an organisation making positive change in Lagos environment,” she declares.

For Bada Titilayo, a graduate of marketing from Lagos State Polytechnic, the job does not pose any serious challenge, and since taking it up in September last year, it’s been encouraging as people appreciate her dexterity and mastery of the wheel.

For Adewunmi Bukola, “I just love driving and I don’t really have serious challenge. I intend to continue with the job as long as possible,” she reveals as she climbed into the truck.

Also sharing her experience, Adebode Adebukola, a 2004 theatre arts graduate of University of Ibadan, the job provides the much needed relief. Adebukola, who abandoned a teaching job with a private school in Lagos, says her current employment with LAWMA holds higher prospect of job security and she intends staying on.

But what could have informed LAWMA’s decision to go for female waste disposal truck operators? According to Ola Oresanya, managing director and chief executive officer, LAWMA, it is to give the womenfolk a chance to rediscover themselves besides providing equal opportunity for employment. “We are happy that we provided them the platform to discover themselves and find fulfillment expressing their talents,” states Oresanya.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/ARCHIVE/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9614:a-peep-into-lawmas-world-of-female-truck-operators&catid=154:city-file&Itemid=563
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by Nobody: 12:10am On May 19, 2013
mobuch:
Woman dey drive truck
Woman dey drive molue
Woman dey drive BRT
Woman dey do okada
Woman dey work for bank
Woman full oil company.

Thats why nigerian jobless men are not getting jobs anymore.

This Beijing woman conference done over achieve wetin dem suppose to achieve. So sad.
I know you'd prefer if they came to you to beg for money.so u can start saying Women are materialistic,women are dependent.all Nigerian babes are ashawo and bla bla bla.of course u guys will never have anything encouraging to say.mtchew
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by deols(f): 12:40am On May 19, 2013
mapet: Do you think you give jobs for giving sakes? Some of you with ridiculous submissions at times...... Even in foreign countries women are truck drivers, loggers, train drivers, in the Military, pilots etc. The fundamental thing is that they are gainfully employed to make the society a better place.

The average train driver in UK earns over 25k-30k pounds per year (some average bankers in Nigeria don't earn that). So talking about not wanting relatives in "what situation" is plain thoughtless.

As thoughtful as you are, the only reason you can give is, people do it in developed countries. Can you think of how their femininity may not affect their job and vice versa? Or can you think of a solution to the pregnancy issue I mentioned?
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by lastpage: 10:19am On May 19, 2013
Dont train them as TRUCK DRIVERS, train them to be Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers, Engineers, e.t.c.

What is this our "fixation" with Truck driving sef?

Na Dangote start the crase o! angry angry

Lastpage!
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by redsun(m): 12:30pm On May 19, 2013
gentlegg:
A woman can never be equal to a man. In fact that concept is devilish from Biblical perspective. I believe in women empowerment but not gender equality.
@ topic
good motive, but bad move.

Serious? What world do you live in?
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by code1: 6:55pm On May 19, 2013
Is your home on fire? Is your husband bullying you or coming home late? is your children disobedient and behaving abnormal? did you need any advise on businesses, investment, visibility studies, counseling on marriage, couples, loneliness, health tips, cures for sickness or illness like fibroid, blocked womb, or bareness. Fortune telling, vision and prophecies about the future, need a husband, match making, you are looking for husband? or need someone that will love you for real? Do not hesitate to contact us and we will give you the best attention needed in all ramifications. Please contact flaky for your general family advise. A trial will convince you. contact flaky on : 0803557387, contact counseling director Mr. Lebby on 08034163515.
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by tayus: 7:31pm On May 19, 2013
Hmmm,, lets hv sm respect for our women truck driver does not fit woman
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by Demdem(m): 7:34pm On May 19, 2013
tayus: Hmmm,, lets hv sm respect for our women truck driver does not fit woman

So na ashawo fit them.
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by Nobody: 7:55pm On May 19, 2013
We say congratulations to our very own berem and Idowuogbo
We wish them safety on the highways and byways of Nigeria as they navigate their 18 wheelers fearlessly
What a man can do,a woman can do it kwa put jara
please do find time to chime into the discussions here from time to time
God's speed ladies
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 20, 2013
gentlegg:
A woman can never be equal to a man. In fact that concept is devilish from Biblical perspective. I believe in women empowerment but not gender equality.
@ topic
good motive, but bad move.

[size=13pt]What biblical perspective if I may ask are you referring to...[/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

States and their Solid Minerals / Uncertainty In Imo As Court Halts APC Congresses / Buhari: Nigeria Has No Reason To Import Food, Raw Materials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.