Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,487 members, 7,954,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:36 AM

PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group (20254 Views)

Eleven Dies As Truck Rams Into Ondo Market / "President Jonathan Is Chairman Of Boko Haram" - Maiduguri Truck Drivers To BBC / Female LAWMA Truck Drivers : Iyawo Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by MrGlobe(m): 4:16pm On Nov 03, 2012
The Chairman and Chief Executive Director of Dangote Group, Alhaji Aliko Dangote has made a shocking disclosure that PhD and MBA Holders were among over 13,000 applicants who applied for the recent Graduate Executive Truck Driver in his company.

Dangote disclosed this Thursday evening during a mentorship chat with World Bank Youth Forum (WBYF) Coordinator, Mr. Rotimi Olawale with the support of the World Bank Country Director, Ms Marie Francoise Marie-Nelly.

Speaking to the surprised youthful audience, the business mogul said that the company only needed 100 drivers but was surprised to receive over 13000 graduate applicants and amongst them were about six Phd, 65 MBA, 649 Masters and over 8, 460 Bachelor degree holders.

He said what surprised him most was not the sheer number of the applicants but the quality and calibre of those that applied who equally graduated from reputable higher institutions.

"All these things are verifiable, and they all graduated from reputable institutions which is satisfactory; and our plan is to eventually make them self dependent", he said.

"Despite the fact that the drivers get trip allowances on each trip along with their salaries, the arrangement is that they will own the trucks at no interests or repayments after they must have reached 300, 000 kilometres, which is about 140 trips from Lagos to Kano and a hard working driver can complete in two years, while lazy ones can take maximum of four years", he explained.

Speaking further, Dangote stated that his company is already one of the largest conglomerates in Africa, and disclosed that the group's five-year target is to reach a net-worth of $75 billion capitalisation and among the top 100 companies in Africa.

He assured that the group, which have diversified into various trading and manufacturing subsidiaries can achieve the set target with just three of them including Dangote Cement, Dangote Sugars/Salt, and Dangote Flours.

The business icon used the opportunity to advise the youths to be focused, forthright and that determination to succeed with integrity is the key to a sustainable wealth.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/phd-mba-holders-apply-as-truck-drivers-at-dangote-group/129518/

5 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by MrGlobe(m): 4:17pm On Nov 03, 2012
[size=16pt]Can we all accept that Niggeria is a failed country. Giant of Africa my foot[/size]

12 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by NegroNtns(m): 4:35pm On Nov 03, 2012
Mr. Globe:
[size=16pt]Can we all accept that Niggeria is a failed country. Giant of Africa my foot[/size]

While i agree with you on that statement, i refuse to attribute the report here as an indicator of failure.

Academic qualification is not a measure of manhood. It is necessary and important to have good education and professional expertise but far more important is the need to continue to dignify one's manhood. A gainful employment and income is nedded to achieve ghat.

We copy everyghing from US and Europe dont we? In both countries college graduates drive trucks. In a capitalist society poverty does not recognise college degree. Nigeria has chosen to live by American styled democracy, its time we accept American styled capitalist expectations. Its all about productivity and factors of generating revenue and profit.....nobody should give a hoot about a degree holder hauling cement or cattle across the country roads.

15 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 03, 2012
and here we have a man that wants to leave his N350, 000 monthly salary for a Masters degree..

www.nairaland.com/1088807/he-wants-leave-well-paid

With stories like this below what do you expect?

Six years after school, no job
www.nairaland.com/1092478/six-years-after-school-no

...and here we have some sets of corpers displaying their ignorance:

www.nairaland.com/1092033/state-university-graduates-vs-federal

22 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by FrankC3: 5:03pm On Nov 03, 2012
For those that just activated #Nigeria_bashing mode, please note that Airtel just appointed one Mr Segun as her MD and Mr Segus just have a Bachelors Degree from University of Ife according to the report.
You can't finish B.Sc. Rush to UK and runa six straight year program from M.Sc to PhD and expect to come back and take the job of a man who has been with PWC or Accenture or even MTN for the same lenght of time.
While i agree that the unemployment rate is high, i also think that individual decisions are important.

6 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 03, 2012
acidosis™:
and here we have a man that wants to leave his N350, 000 monthly salary for a Masters degree..

www.nairaland.com/1088807/he-wants-leave-well-paid

With stories like this below what do you expect?

Six years after school, no job
www.nairaland.com/1092478/six-years-after-school-no

...and here we have some sets of corpers displaying their ignorance:

www.nairaland.com/1092033/state-university-graduates-vs-federal
this is shocking!
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Obiagu1(m): 6:47pm On Nov 03, 2012
Mr. Globe:

Not at all. Just like Yoruba graduates are powering London undergrounds, factories, Kitchens, warehouses, nightclubs etc, so we need them here in Nigeria.
Maybe Nigeria will finally become a great country like the UK powered by graduate Yoruba factory workers and truck drivers.

8 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 03, 2012
Wow, this Iڪ what I always say. All those degrees are nothing, nothinggggggghh in the market place.
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 9:37pm On Nov 03, 2012
Lwkmd! Is that possible? Isn't this terribly bad? Wtf is wrong with Naija
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by miqos02(m): 9:37pm On Nov 03, 2012
what will motivate phd holders to apply for truck driving... am shocked....
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 03, 2012
if they have MBA and PHD this is not a symptom of a failed country. this is a symptom of a failed mind. how the heck do you have those and you are applying to drive a truck ? what exactly did they teach these fools in their MBA and PHD classes ? waste of time if you ask me. this is why when nigerians start ranting off their degrees i laugh in swahili. i told a fella in the religion section the other day to wipe his azz with his degree when he started bragging that he has a masters in a european university. so what ?

5 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by eyzeberg: 9:38pm On Nov 03, 2012
Obiagu1:

Not at all. Just like Yoruba graduates are powering London undergrounds, factories, Kitchens, warehouses, nightclubs etc, so we need them here in Nigeria.
Maybe Nigeria will finally become a great country like the UK powered by graduate Yoruba factory workers and truck drivers.
this tribal war na wah o. Na only yoruba dey london?

1 Like

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by manny4life(m): 9:39pm On Nov 03, 2012
All education and no use of it makes jack a dull brain... sad sad sad
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Litmus: 9:39pm On Nov 03, 2012
praiseworthy, a person , especially if they are young degree holders, swallowing pride, rolling up sleeves and getting on with doing something constructive. They will always have their degrees but now they have tales to inspire their children about the value of hard work.

2 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by sessydoo(m): 9:40pm On Nov 03, 2012
A phd holder Ggggssssssssssssssssssssss, this is recklessly shocking indeed, what has my Country become?? God we really need ur help.
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 03, 2012
sessydoo: A phd holder Ggggssssssssssssssssssssss, this is recklessly shocking indeed, what has my Country become?? God we really need ur help.
nothing to do with your country. the phd holder is the problem. he cant apply his knowledge to create business ? wtf ? africans sef. no critical thinking. na just to read and regurgitate and then look for job

3 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by yemmyma: 9:43pm On Nov 03, 2012
Frank-C:
For those that just activated #Nigeria_bashing mode, please note that Airtel just appointed one Mr Segun as her MD and Mr Segus just have a Bachelors Degree from University of Ife according to the report.
You can't finish B.Sc. Rush to UK and runa six straight year program from M.Sc to PhD and expect to come back and take the job of a man who has been with PWC or Accenture or even MTN for the same lenght of time.
While i agree that the unemployment rate is high, i also think that individual decisions are important.

You think most of the guys rushing to the UK left their jobs in Nigeria? A lot of these people apparently could not get a job in Nigeria. So don't use one Airtel guy as an example for the sorry state Nigeria finds herself

1 Like

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Litmus: 9:43pm On Nov 03, 2012
sessydoo: A phd holder Ggggssssssssssssssssssssss, this is recklessly shocking indeed, what has my Country become?? God we really need ur help.

once met a Nigerian doctorate in engineering, once had top post in the then British Leyland, doing security in the UK
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Litmus: 9:48pm On Nov 03, 2012
obadiah777: nothing to do with your country. the phd holder is the problem. he cant apply his knowledge to create business ? wtf ? africans sef. no critical thinking. na just to read and regurgitate and then look for job

Exactly
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 9:49pm On Nov 03, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

While i agree with you on that statement, i refuse to attribute the report here as an indicator of failure.

Academic qualification is not a measure of manhood. It is necessary and important to have good education and professional expertise but far more important is the need to continue to dignify one's manhood. A gainful employment and income is nedded to achieve ghat.

We copy everyghing from US and Europe dont we? In both countries college graduates drive trucks. In a capitalist society poverty does not recognise college degree. Nigeria has chosen to live by American styled democracy, its time we accept American styled capitalist expectations. Its all about productivity and factors of generating revenue and profit.....nobody should give a hoot about a degree holder hauling cement or cattle across the country roads.
u just spoke my mind.
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 9:49pm On Nov 03, 2012
It's an exaggeration that PhD holders applied for that job. That's not true. There are numerous private universities in Nigeria that do not have enough faculties. Some of them take many MSc holders with a condition that they commence PhD studies. As for MBA, apart from Lagos Business School, there is no single MBA programme in the country that is not a shame. No serious employer would even look at any MBA nonsense coming out of Naija. Of what use is even any MBA without on-the-job experience?

4 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by jossy26: 9:50pm On Nov 03, 2012
Some people here have been busy criticizing Dangote because of this advert. You guys are seeing the reality on ground now. PHD, MBA as a truck driver... Best of Luck

3 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 9:51pm On Nov 03, 2012
How can the country move forward if the likes of Dame Patience are being appointed permanent secretary? You can be sure that ministry is dead already.
We can't create jobs if we continue to recycle nonentities in power. We can't reform NNPC, the so called cash cow, if we continue to appoint people who are supposed to be probing same company into critical sectors of NNPC even while the probe is in progress. GEJ inherited a mess of a country, no doubt, but he has bastardized the country beyond expectations. He is part of the problems the nation is trying to solve.

3 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by SSaemoenl(m): 9:54pm On Nov 03, 2012
Advance ur potentials thats all. PHD or not. Be creative. #THINK

2 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by playahP(m): 9:55pm On Nov 03, 2012
Seems like I'm the only only one that noticed it is no longer "2000 drivers" that are needed.... Its now "100 drivers".... Haba... That's a difference of 1900.... Why did they annouce 2000 drivers wanted if they only gonna take 100?

2 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by miky(m): 9:55pm On Nov 03, 2012
yet some spearchukkers were insulting dangote for providing the jobs lol!!! dont apply na, who cares
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 9:57pm On Nov 03, 2012
What is Dangote?
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by miky(m): 9:58pm On Nov 03, 2012
playah P: Seems like I'm the only only one that noticed it is no longer "2000 drivers" that are needed.... Its now "100 drivers".... Haba... That's a difference of 1900.... Why did they annouce 2000 drivers wanted if they only gonna take 100?

are u sure your source was right? did u verify it or just gullibly accepted it as fact?? dangote is rich but what sense does it make buying and giving away 2000 heavy trucks.. its quite stupid if u ask me..100 sounds more reasonable, 100 drivers 100 free trucks later on
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by legalwealth(m): 10:00pm On Nov 03, 2012
What a pity...
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by tpia1: 10:00pm On Nov 03, 2012
Despite the fact that the drivers get trip allowances on each trip along with their salaries, the arrangement is that they will own the trucks at no interests or repayments after they must have reached 300, 000 kilometres, which is about 140 trips from Lagos to Kano and a hard working driver can complete in two years, while lazy ones can take maximum of four years", he explained.

sounds like a good deal.

after [if] they own the trucks, they can use them to start their own businesses.

it wouldnt be that easy raising the funds to buy such, out of pocket.

hope there's no catch anywhere.
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by playahP(m): 10:01pm On Nov 03, 2012
miky:

are u sure your source was right? did u verify it or just gullibly accepted it as fact?? dangote is rich but what sense does it make buying and giving away 2000 heavy trucks.. its quite stupid if u ask me..100 sounds more reasonable, 100 drivers 100 free trucks later on

I was like "wtf" when I was there was opening for 2000 folks!!.... 100 is more realistic but in the advert kini, it was 2000 that was stated!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bomb Blast At Military Checkpoint In Biu, Many Feared killed - Mezie Times / I Regret Not Winning Lagos For PDP In 2003 -atiku / Ondo Election: Buhari, Tinubu Won’t Attend APC Grand Finale Rally - Independent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.