Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief (11620 Views)

CNN Confirm Identity Of Jihadi John…..its President Putin! / ISIS In Iraq Stinks Of CIA/NATO ‘dirty War’ Op / Younger Brother Of Michael Adebolajo 'was Paid Thousands To Spy In Middle East' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by Nobody: 11:45am On May 18, 2013
The Federal Security Service in Russia has revealed the identity of the CIA's station chief in Moscow in a breach of protocol.

The revelation, made by an FSB spokesman who accused the US agency of crossing a "red line" in its attempt to recruit turncoats among Russian spy agencies, will up the ante in the unfolding spy scandal that emerged earlier this week when Russia detained and expelled an alleged CIA agent working undercover as third secretary at the US embassy in Moscow.

Russian officials, including President Vladimir Putin's foreign policy advisor, have taken pains to say they believe the scandal will blow over quickly.

Publicly revealing the CIA station chief proves that some inside the Russian government believe otherwise and is likely to prompt an angry response from Washington.

Speaking to Russia's Interfax news agency, the FSB spokesman said his agency had complained to the CIA station chief as far back as October 2011 "that if they [the Americans] continue their provocative recruitment efforts regarding employees of the Russian secret services, the FSB will take 'mirror' actions against CIA agents". In that statement, the spokesman included the station chief's name.

The US embassy declined to comment . Oleg Kalugin, a former KGB general turned Kremlin critic now living in the US, said: "This is a deliberate attempt to make the situation worse than it is. It's an invitation to the US to do the same and they probably will – and no one will gain."

The US has not reacted to the expulsion of Ryan Fogle, who Russia said was caught in a sting operation last week while allegedly attempting to recruit an FSB agent focused on anti-terrorism efforts in Russia's North Caucasus. Russia widely publicised the case, parading Fogle on state-run television alongside collection of alleged spy gear, including wigs, a map and compass, a poorly written recruitment letter and the recording of a phone call with his alleged target.

The FSB spokesman said the case came after several warnings to the CIA, including the direct appeal to the station chief.

In December, Russia expelled – less publicly – another suspected CIA agent working undercover as third secretary at the US embassy. The FSB spokesman said the man was declared persona non grata on 11 January and expelled four days later.

"In the case with Fogle, the CIA crossed 'the red line' and we were forced to react, observing official procedures," the spokesman said.

His comments were widely published in Russian media and on state-run television, including the Kremlin's English-language channel, Russia Today.

"Basically, the FSB got sick of American spies and demonstratively and publicly slapped one of them," wrote the tabloid Komsomolskaya Pravda. "Like a cockroach who thought he was master of the crumbs in the kitchen."

Kalugin said he believed Russia designed the scandal in order to heighten general fear about Americans inside the country, while stepping up pressure on the US as Moscow and Washington tussle over Syria.

"As Hillary Clinton, the former [US] secretary of state, put it just a few months ago: we are watching the process of re-Sovietisation of Russia," he said. "I think this is precisely what has been happening."

Russian officials, including Putin, have accused the US of fomenting discontent against him in Russia, as well as orchestrating the uprisings around the Middle East.

The spy scandal unfolds as the US and Russia have sought to boost co-operation between their respective security services over the investigation of the Boston Marathon bombing. Yet the two countries remain at odds over Syria.

The Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, reiterated on Friday that Russia was delivering its S-300 missiles to Syria, despite US and Israeli attempts to convince Moscow to halt arms shipments to the regime of Bashar al-Assad.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/17/russia-reveal-identity-cia-moscow-chief
Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by Nobody: 11:46am On May 18, 2013
^^^^Espionage gone wrong.

Messr Putin isn't joking - he's definitely trying to revive the carcass of the Soviet Union and KGB. grin

1 Like

Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by fpeter(f): 12:31pm On May 20, 2013
i see
Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by Alamen001: 12:33pm On May 20, 2013
Now he is a target.

Click Here

1 Like

Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by Anazp: 12:33pm On May 20, 2013
[quote author=shymexx][/quote] na wa o
Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by DICKtator: 12:36pm On May 20, 2013
Hehehe!!!!
Majority of US Diplomats are confirmed Spys on covert mission wherever they are posted to.
The movie Argo said/confirmed a lot about this!!!
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by Originakalokalo(m): 12:39pm On May 20, 2013
Jack bauer things.24 loading..............

1 Like

Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by Olucheye(m): 12:42pm On May 20, 2013

1 Like

Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by slap1(m): 12:45pm On May 20, 2013
None of our biz, we got Abubakar Shekau to deal with.

1 Like

Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by 360command: 12:49pm On May 20, 2013
That guy is finnished!
Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 20, 2013
The Russians don't take such allegations lightly esp coming from the cold war era. That individual i'm sure is good as gone.

1 Like

Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by ugosly(m): 12:49pm On May 20, 2013
Lol,I know this thread will not go beyond first page as it is not an opportunity to insult President GEJ.some will not even bother to read halfway through the write up before running off to another thread where they can trade insults and cause unecessary mischief.
SMH!
Youths of Nigeria,ki Oluwa ron yi lowo oo!!!

1 Like

Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by 50calibre(m): 12:53pm On May 20, 2013
Brand_new: The Russians don't take such allegations lightly esp coming from the cold war era. That individual i'm sure is good as gone.

No it's not a big deal. The Russians have spies in the Us as well. Two years ago, a Russian spy name Anna chapman was banished from the US.
Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by Ijawboi(m): 1:00pm On May 20, 2013
Naija get spys self

1 Like

Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by Nobody: 1:01pm On May 20, 2013
mascot87: MOD,MOD,MOD I am begging you in the name of GOD your creator,please delete my account now now.What is the essence of me not able to comment on most of the topics just because someone insulted me on this forum and i have to respond back as a fleshy being.You block me from making comments,then there is no point been a member,i now prefare to be a guest than not able to express myself on the forum.Please i beg you to do either of this two things
(1) Its either you unblock me or
(2) Delete my account now
If you dont do either of the two,i will make sure to ban me totally.I am very serious about my statement.The choice is yours

Opt out button should be created so that those who wish to quit being a member of NL could easily de-register. Telling me I could come into your house but I'm not allowed to leave once I step in is kidnapping. We should have the right to opt out!

10 Likes

Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by warlock0147: 1:02pm On May 20, 2013
dunmorris:
thank for making us 1million plus members,, you can create has many account has u wish after seun ban you....

Only Yorus say this...
Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by Nobody: 1:12pm On May 20, 2013
Pipsland78:
Opt out button should be created so that those who wish to quit being a member of NL could easily de-register. Telling me I could come into your house but I'm not allowed to leave once I step in is kidnapping. We should have the right to opt out!
supported

5 Likes

Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by Nobody: 1:14pm On May 20, 2013
In a world where competition for political dominance,cultural and territorial hegemony reign,nations tend to employ means to secretly obtain informations concerning the political,economy,military,defence,cultural or foreign policy of a nation to the advantage of the nation sponsoring the spying mission which gives birth to espionage and counter-espionage among nations.

Suffice to say that the Russia secret service still operate with the modus operandi of the defunct KGB known for sophisticated espionage activities around the world and now that Putin has a mission to challenge the US dominance in the world,he's going to intensify his counter-espionage operations to identify the CIA agents on Russia soil.

The rise of the Soviet Union is becoming a reality under Vladmir Putin.

1 Like

Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by ayox2003: 1:15pm On May 20, 2013
Its not new. Russia also spies on US. I doubt if it would cause any friction in their relationship. Spying is an eternal game. China also needs to be very alert because the West wants her to practice democracy and spies would do the underground work.

Atleast, we caught a BH spy yesterday. Naija is on the alert too. wink

Frawzey

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by Nobody: 1:18pm On May 20, 2013
putin is trying to score a cheap political point with this issue
Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by crusufixo(m): 1:24pm On May 20, 2013
But i tot this spying ish has stopped naa !!!, are they still spying on each oda ? na wa oh !!!!. These countries sha want to fight anoda war !!!!
Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by ogb5(m): 1:38pm On May 20, 2013
Pipsland78:

This is Nairaland AKA Nigeria land.

Union is by force, Else why do you think Nigeria has not broken into multiple countries.
Come into NL and Stay in NL land. No quitting grin

4 Likes

Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by julioralph(m): 1:59pm On May 20, 2013
I tire for this Oyinbo Guardian report: why didn't they name the Person huh?
These western media & western Govts na paddy paddy

1 Like

Re: Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief by julioralph(m): 2:01pm On May 20, 2013
ogb5:

This is Nairaland AKA Nigeria land.

Union is by force, Else why do you think Nigeria has not broken into multiple countries.
Come into NL and Stay in NL land. No quitting grin
In other words our 'Oga @ the top of Nairaland' is now a dictator?
(if them ban you my hand no dey inside ooh)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is London Burning? / South Africa Is Finished / Nelson Mandela's Condition Worsens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.