Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (67996 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 10:15am On May 23, 2013
CHESSBOARD:

Imagine this miscreant who is not even known in his village. As I was going through the internet, the whole africa, I mean the whole Africa: Ghana, SA, ethiopia, Kenya etc said that they dont think Africa will ever have a person like ACHEBE, meaning they r not even seeing Wole soyinka coming close to him. Yorubas get it in you dead head, he is the " FATHER OF MODERN AFRICAN LITERATURE" and there is nothing you bunkums can do about it.

Bros don't sweat it. Let history be the judge. cool
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:30am On May 23, 2013
CHESSBOARD:

Imagine this miscreant who is not even known in his village. As I was going through the internet, the whole africa, I mean the whole Africa: Ghana, SA, ethiopia, Kenya etc said that they dont think Africa will ever have a person like ACHEBE, meaning they r not even seeing Wole soyinka coming close to him. Yorubas get it in you dead head, he is the " FATHER OF MODERN AFRICAN LITERATURE" and there is nothing you bunkums can do about it.
Your first line just described who you really are.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by tomakint: 10:32am On May 23, 2013
Crayola1:

I said one word and see the novel I received. You need Jesus son cheesy
cheesy cheesy cheesy You are too funny, damn, I like the fact that you know whom to respond to or ignore here, its been a while friend, have a fun-filled day!
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DerideGull(m): 12:03pm On May 23, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Jean-Paul Sartre refused the Nobel prize in literature in 1964.

Whatsup Physics? Thanks for the information.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DerideGull(m): 12:06pm On May 23, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

Let's start with Ethiopian literature. The woman pictured below is an Assistant Professor of Comparitive Literature and African American Studies at PRINCETON UNIVERSITY....

[img]http://www.princeton.edu/main/images/news/2012/08/belcher_IndexPage.jpg[/img]

Belcher specializes in medieval, early modern and modern African literature. One of her key interests is in how African thought circulated in Europe before the 19th century, which she explores in her latest book by focusing on the influence of Ethiopian thought on the work of the English author Samuel Johnson. In 2011, Belcher spent a year in Ethiopia on a Fulbright fellowship researching ancient manuscripts illuminating the lives of women now regarded as saints in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, which dates back to the fourth century. She also took the opportunity to photograph a range of scenes and subjects during her visit. Stories from Ethiopia and the African continent have resonated with Belcher since childhood, when she lived in Ethiopia and Ghana. Her first book, "Honey from the Lion: An African Journey," is an autobiographical account of her time in Ghana.

See all the pics included with the interview here: http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S34/36/63Q09/index.xml?section=featured

The above junks are fool’s delights. It is laughable some folks are trying very hard to turn any primordial sketch into literature. What a wasteful endeavor.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by PhysicsQED(m): 12:48pm On May 23, 2013
ACM10:

Prof. Physics, where have you been? We missed your contribution here. Whether I read negative or positive connotation into the word "celebrated storyteller", that fact remains that its content of use stripped Achebe of his contribution to intellectual development. It is clear to the discerning mind the message Soyinka passed.

I've just been staying away from the politics section in most of my recent posts. And no I'm not a prof yet.grin That's still some years away if I decide to stay in academia.

I think that in the context in which it was used, that phrase (celebrated storyteller) was not really intended to be derisive, but I see how other people can have other interpretations.

ACM10:

I know that I may be venturing into your field. But I think that got the dates muddled in your head. Einstein won his Nobel prize in 1922 "for his services to Theoretical Physics". By that time he was yet to complete his work on Brownian motion which was published in 1926. Your postulation that there was no definite proof of the relation of mass and energy at that time might be a valid reason why he was not awarded the prize.

Well, actually, the crucial work on Brownian motion was first published in 1905. Einstein also published versions of his work where multiple research articles were combined into a single book or the basic significance of some of his discoveries were summarized for a general audience in a single book after the original research had been done. That particular book (a 1926 English translation of a book published in German in 1922) is a compilation of different publications of Einstein's from 1905 to 1908 on Brownian motion.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by PhysicsQED(m): 12:55pm On May 23, 2013
DerideGull:

Whatsup Physics? Thanks for the information.

Hey, no problem. Just thought I should mention it.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 2:02pm On May 23, 2013
as far as literature is concerned, achebe's place as being the breakthrough of african literature is assured. A celebrated novelist and poet, as well as a revered critic, this man is more or less synonymous to personalities like mandela. Honorifics(king of..., queen of..., jewel of..., father of..., mother of..., star of...), are given for a reason- the global impact of the entity in various facets of life. Achebe consolidated the dignity, humanity, and sophiscation of african literature. This pioneering and trailbrazing feat aptly accords him the father of MODERN african literature. Whats the fuss all about? SOYINKA is entitled to his opinion, GORDIMER is entitled to hers, so is forbes, aljazeera,cnn,etc.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by henchyk(m): 5:33pm On May 23, 2013
Posters like this ola Johnson, bodybuilder and co are just consumed by blind hatred for igbos and anything igbo that they have refused to see how and why Achebe is the all in all when it comes to literature in Africa.

I've been following this thread for a while now and the blind tribalism exhibited by the aforementioned people and co is clear for all to see.

Mr Johnson for example steadily seeks to incite anger among the igbo posters by referring to Igbos as "jews" and implying that their courageous hero Ojukwu was a fool. I mean, isnt that childish and stupid?

The fact is that these posters have been consumed with heavy bias and it will be impossible to change their stance on this subject, so i am going to have to call for an end to this discussion.

The overwhelming trend with the yoruba ppl posting on this thread is their readiness to insult and abuse others who disagree with their views especially when they have no answer for them or cannot counter their (the people being insulted) arguments. It does not speak well of the Yoruba tribe to be honest. The sheer jealousy and hate is too obvious.

Tribalism should not stop any reasonable person from acknowledging a man like Achebe who contributed immeasurably to the advancement of African Literature. Achebe is late afterall. Lets honor him for his talents and achievements and let all this unnecessary hatred stop.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 6:18pm On May 23, 2013
Henchyk, I've had opportunity of hearing the Igbo say they migrated from Israel. They have maintained, on Radio Biafra in the United States, that they're "Jews". I used to listen to it some ten years ago, but stopped when I realized that it was somewhat childish for one of their broadcasters to say the insects destroying farm produces in the North was an answer by the God of the Igbo as he did in the Biblical times when he visited the Egyptians with the ten plagues. According to him, the insects would remain until the Igbo were given independence like the Jews of Moses' days.

I've lived with the Igbo for a long time before I relocated to the SW. I have nothing against them. I've never insulted them like they will always do on Nairaland and outside it. I've never said more than people that I feel are wrong should start reasoning. If you've been following my comments you'll realize this.

The interview of Wole Soyinka is simple, for any person that wishes, to understand. He only confirmed Chinua Achebe's stand that he should not be referred to as the father of African literature, a statement made by Nadine Gordimer. He didn't say more than this, which has brought out the tribal bigotry in some people. They go to the extent of saying he is jealous. Jealous of what? If I may ask. It is hightime we started being reasonable. Bob Marley said: Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our mind.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by bobthebuilder99(m): 9:48pm On May 23, 2013
DerideGull:

The above junks are fool’s delights. It is laughable some folks are trying very hard to turn any primordial sketch into literature. What a wasteful endeavor.

You mad? grin

Like I said...it's the Igbos fault that they just learned how to read and write. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 2:26am On May 24, 2013
Ola Johnson: Henchyk, I've had opportunity of hearing the Igbo say they migrated from Israel. They have maintained, on Radio Biafra in the United States, that they're "Jews". I used to listen to it some ten years ago, but stopped when I realized that it was somewhat childish for one of their broadcasters to say the insects destroying farm produces in the North was an answer by the God of the Igbo as he did in the Biblical times when he visited the Egyptians with the ten plagues. According to him, the insects would remain until the Igbo were given independence like the Jews of Moses' days.

I've lived with the Igbo for a long time before I relocated to the SW. I have nothing against them. I've never insulted them like they will always do on Nairaland and outside it. I've never said more than people that I feel are wrong should start reasoning. If you've been following my comments you'll realize this.

The interview of Wole Soyinka is simple, for any person that wishes, to understand. He only confirmed Chinua Achebe's stand that he should not be referred to as the father of African literature, a statement made by Nadine Gordimer. He didn't say more than this, which has brought out the tribal bigotry in some people. They go to the extent of saying he is jealous. Jealous of what? If I may ask. It is hightime we started being reasonable. Bob Marley said: Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our mind.

elizabeth taylor was the first to call MJ the king of pop, does that make any difference? If i were achebe, i too would ignore the title, its the wisest thing to do. However, it dosen't mean i dont deserve it.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:30am On May 24, 2013
Son-Of-El:

elizabeth taylor was the first to call MJ the king of pop, does that make any difference? If i were achebe, i too would ignore the title, its the wisest thing to do. However, it dosen't mean i dont deserve it.
There is a difference between a father and a king.
All the newspapers I read yesterday described him as a storyteller.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by TheBookWorm: 7:36am On May 24, 2013
I didn't even know this discussion was continuing.

Let us end this thread by stating that many people view Professor Chinua Achebe as the "father of MODERN African Literature," while some people do not. That is perfectly fine to have a disagreement on issues such as this.

But let me say, if a majority of people give you a title, even one you do not wish to have, eventually, it will stick. That is how we as humans work. If enough people call you something, how can you deny the title?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by bobthebuilder99(m): 8:09am On May 24, 2013
TheBookWorm: I didn't even know this discussion was continuing.

Let us end this thread by stating that many people view Professor Chinua Achebe as the "father of MODERN African Literature," while some people do not. That is perfectly fine to have a disagreement on issues such as this.

But let me say, if a majority of people give you a title, even one you do not wish to have, eventually, it will stick. That is how we as humans work. If enough people call you something, how can you deny the title?

So..if lots of people call Africans animals, that means we should accept the title?

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by TheBookWorm: 8:14am On May 24, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

So..if lots of people call Africans animals, that means we should accept the title?

I see you are comparing apples with oranges. If enough people follow you, then you are considered a leader? The answer is yes.

If enough people call you the King of Pop, Queen of Soul, Father of American Literature etc, the title will stick.

The same can be said calling Professor Achebe the "Father of Modern African Literature." I do not know why some people have problem with that title. He seems to be a deserving candidate of such a title. Many of his novels can be found in curriculums across the world. That is a feat that no African author can even dream of.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by OneNaira6: 8:17am On May 24, 2013
henchyk: Posters like this ola Johnson, bodybuilder and co are just consumed by blind hatred for igbos and anything igbo that they have refused to see how and why Achebe is the all in all when it comes to literature in Africa.

I've been following this thread for a while now and the blind tribalism exhibited by the aforementioned people and co is clear for all to see.

Mr Johnson for example steadily seeks to incite anger among the igbo posters by referring to Igbos as "jews" and implying that their courageous hero Ojukwu was a fool. I mean, isnt that childish and stupid?

The fact is that these posters have been consumed with heavy bias and it will be impossible to change their stance on this subject, so i am going to have to call for an end to this discussion.

The overwhelming trend with the yoruba ppl posting on this thread is their readiness to insult and abuse others who disagree with their views especially when they have no answer for them or cannot counter their (the people being insulted) arguments. It does not speak well of the Yoruba tribe to be honest. The sheer jealousy and hate is too obvious.

Tribalism should not stop any reasonable person from acknowledging a man like Achebe who contributed immeasurably to the advancement of African Literature. Achebe is late afterall. Lets honor him for his talents and achievements and let all this unnecessary hatred stop.

Tell me about it. It's called "pull down mentality", the "crap in a box" behavior. Rossik or was it someone else described the mentality very much. To be honest, I've never in my life seen an ethnic group that hate, jealous and try to pull down others achievement when it's not in their favor like lipsrsealed. It was the Uyo thread that magnified it for me. It shouldn't come to anyone surprise. It is just how it is and I think people are getting used to it on NL. One of this days, I hope they realize it is a very pathetic and sad behavior that is for sure. I thought WS was different; shame he is not.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:20am On May 24, 2013
henchyk: Posters like this ola Johnson, bodybuilder and co are just consumed by blind hatred for igbos and anything igbo that they have refused to see how and why Achebe is the all in all when it comes to literature in Africa.

You do realise that ibos tribalised this, right?

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by bobthebuilder99(m): 8:25am On May 24, 2013
One_Naira:

Tell me about it. It's called "pull down mentality", the "crap in a box" behavior. Rossik or was it someone else described the mentality very much. To be honest, I've never in my life seen an ethnic group that hate, jealous and try to pull down others achievement when it's not in their favor like lipsrsealed. It was the Uyo thread that magnified it for me. It shouldn't come to anyone surprise. It is just how it is and I think people are getting used to it on NL. It is a very pathetic and sad behavior that is for sure.

Every thread on NL gets hijacked by tribal Igbos beating their chest about Biafra!

Some Igbo wrote a long tribal letter to an INDECENCY STAR because she had the audacity to be from the same tribe.
When the London killers were found out to be Nigerian, Igbos starting saying they were 'Biafran'.
And that is just today!

Face it, you all are the most tribal group in Naija. If you were white, you'd probably all be racists. In fact, most of you seem to want to be Jewish because you hate your African ancestry so much.

Can someone explain this to me?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by cfours: 8:27am On May 24, 2013
TheBookWorm:

I see you are comparing apples with oranges. If enough people follow you, then you are considered a leader? The answer is yes.

If enough people call you the King of Pop, Queen of Soul, Father of American Literature etc, the title will stick.

The same can be said calling Professor Achebe the "Father of Modern African Literature." I do not know why some people have problem with that title. He seems to be a deserving candidate of such a title. Many of his novels can be found in curriculums across the world. That is a feat that no African author can even dream of.

sometimes the label sticks if someone who is revered gives the label to u.
Elizabeth taylor named MJ 'king of pop'
William Faulkner named Hemingway 'father of american literature'
Nadine Gorimer named Achebe 'father of modern african literature' in 2007
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by OneNaira6: 8:46am On May 24, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

Every thread on NL gets hijacked by tribal Igbos beating their chest about Biafra!

The same way your people hijack every thread about any politician outside SW and chest beating about lagos and some BS about ACN and how SW is a "supposed" or rather should I say "make belief" paradise of Nigeria.

Some Igbo wrote a long tribal letter to an INDECENCY STAR because she had the audacity to be from the same tribe.

And how the F2k does that concern you? An Igbo man wrote a letter to another IGBO WOMAN. How the F does that concern any other tribe beside Igbo? In the letter, did he mention your tribe? Did he ask her if she has any connection to your tribe? Dude STHU. You are not making any damn sense. In the same freaking thread, the same "IGBO" condemned the author and turned his letter into a joke. If not for your trablistic mind, you would not have jumped to the conclusion that the man is in anyway speaking about others beside the community he mentioned. get out of your low self esteem.

When the London killers were found out to be Nigerian, Igbos starting saying they were 'Biafran'.
And that is just today!

And so? In this website any time any Igbo man is caught in Asia for some crime, your own people and I'll emphasize it cause it is mostly yoruba that do it but "your people" are quick to mention "they are not nigerians, they are biafrans". Therefore, if one of your own is caught doing some crime and some people decided to mention they are Biafrans, STFU, Mind your own business because it was your people that started that behavior on NL and others took up the behavior. Blame your damn community for it.

Face it, you all are the most tribal group in Naija. If you were white, you'd probably all be racists.
Then explain why everyone, including the north, labeled una as the most tribalistic group? Don't dare try to take a speck out of anyone's eyes without taking out the big stone in your own too.

In fact, most of you seem to want to be Jewish because you hate your African ancestry so much.
And? Your people think una migrated from Mecca or some other BS. one of your own opened a thread on this forum about ya'll being the real jews, not Igbo. Dare me to repost that thread here cause I would. Abeg pull out of our face jor.

Can someone explain this to me?

I just did. Next time you try to criticize others, take a hard and I mean a damn HARD look at your own first.

Now bye and make a freaking sense next time.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by cfours: 8:48am On May 24, 2013
One_naira, are u a mod? just asking
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:11am On May 24, 2013

Abia.

He was not the father, not in death.

Abia.

Abia.

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:21am On May 24, 2013
One_Naira:

Tell me about it. It's called "pull down mentality", the "crap in a box" behavior. Rossik or was it someone else described the mentality very much. To be honest, I've never in my life seen an ethnic group that hate, jealous and try to pull down others achievement when it's not in their favor like lipsrsealed. It was the Uyo thread that magnified it for me. It shouldn't come to anyone surprise. It is just how it is and I think people are getting used to it on NL. One of this days, I hope they realize it is a very pathetic and sad behavior that is for sure. I thought WS was different; shame he is not.
When will most of you understand English? WS only confirmed the position of CA. I've read the same interview in the UK Guardian Newspaper, and there was no comment of WS being jealous. What has CA achieved that WS should be jealous of? Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by OneNaira6: 9:23am On May 24, 2013
c.fours:
One_naira, are u a mod? just asking

No and I don't ever want to. I just have the blessing of having a very good memory. I remember everything I read.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by OneNaira6: 9:36am On May 24, 2013
Ola Johnson:
When will most of you understand English? WS only confirmed the position of CA. I've read the same interview in the UK Guardian Newspaper, and there was no comment of WS being jealous. What has CA achieved that WS should be jealous of? Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.

As others have mentioned, go and learn something called "modest" or to put it in a child-like comment "ain't trying to whistle their own horn". After doing so, learn that's what CA was doing.

BTW: WS comment on CA reeks of jealousy. From first trying to downput a title giving to CA by another person and recognized by the entire world including other Africans. Ain't it a shame the only people in the entire world which CA title is biting are Yoruba? Anyway, back to what I was saying, second accusing CA of a comment against WS that cannot be verified and it's not found anywhere else except on WS comment and lastly calling CA a "mere storyteller" forgetting that he, WS, is also the same thing. I respect WS but I and many others are disappointed with him. I honestly thought he was different.

BTW: This is my last post on this. I don't give a flying f2k about una jealousy over the man. His legacy speaks for itself and it is not like whatever una say on NL or whatever WS say on sahara would affect his legacy. The same title would follow CA's work for centuries.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:38am On May 24, 2013
We have had enough of their arrogance, sometimes I feel they should be given their Biafra. But they won't go because they would want to go with Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Rivers and Bayelsa states who made up the defunct Eastern Region, who I'm sure won't go with them.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:51am On May 24, 2013
One_Naira:

As others have mentioned, go and learn something called "modest" or to put it in a child-like comment "ain't trying to whistle their own horn". After doing so, learn that's what CA was doing.

BTW: WS comment on CA reeks of jealousy. From first trying to downput a title giving to CA by another person and recognized by the entire world including other Africans. Ain't it a shame the only people in the entire world which CA title is biting are Yoruba? Anyway, back to what I was saying, second accusing CA of a comment against WS that cannot be verified and it's not found anywhere else except on WS comment and lastly calling CA a "mere storyteller" forgetting that he, WS, is also the same thing. I respect WS but I and many others are disappointed with him. I honestly thought he was different.

BTW: This is my last post on this. I don't give a flying f2k about una jealousy over the man. His legacy speaks for itself and it is not like whatever una say on NL or whatever WS say on sahara would affect his legacy. The same title would follow CA's work for centuries.
You've become sober. Is it because your compatriots have left this? Go gather them: ndi ibe gi ma ndi otu gi. Ha ni ne.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by rapattorny: 9:54am On May 24, 2013
Well well well,so far this has been an intellectual jaw jaw,one of the best of nairaland a round of applause pls.

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 10:14am On May 24, 2013
Ola Johnson:

my friend, WS did not confirm anything. He found such honorific for achebe (and himself) ridiculous, a ''momentary exuberance''. If such honorific was accorded to him, he would embrace it, he just trying to 'neutralize' a human weakness called jealousy. Anyway, he is known literarily for making simple illustrations complex, while achebe does the opposite, which is, simplifying complex illustrations. Achebe is a universal teacher...

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:38am On May 24, 2013
Son-Of-El:

my friend, WS did not confirm anything. He found such honorific for achebe (and himself) ridiculous, a ''momentary exuberance''. If such honorific was accorded to him, he would embrace it, he just trying to 'neutralize' a human weakness called jealousy. Anyway, he is known literarily for making simple illustrations complex, while achebe does the opposite, which is, simplifying complex illustrations. Achebe is a universal teacher...
The fact remains that CA being to as the father of African literature remains verbal in some quarters. It is not stated anywhere or inscribed in a plaque.

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (46) (Reply)

Meet Joke, The Beautiful Wife Of Jide Sanwo-olu (photos) / Prophet Rev Akinbo: Rotimi Amaechi Is Going To Be Nigeria’s Next President / Olawale Bakare Mandate Speaks From Hiding (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.