Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (68001 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:34am On May 19, 2013
babyosisi: Wole Soyinka should be careful not to destroy the legacy he has built by involving himself in unsavory affairs.
The first time the Prof disappointed me was when he spoke in support of Patience Jonathan's perm sec appointment,now this.

Chinua Achebe was called the father and grandfather of African literature by others
He did not label himself that
People recognized his immeasurable contribution to African literature and bestowed on him that honor in his lifetime so it is quite petty for WS whom I respect a great to utter such words.
It makes him sound jealous and he should be above such pettiness.
Michael Jackson was called the King of Pop
Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll
Donna Summer was the Queen of Disco While Aretha Franklin is and remains the Queen of soul
That label on Chinua is deserving.

Secondly why speak about Chinua's Book in his death what you couldn't say while he was alive?
I love Soyinka but his words here are beneath a man of his calibre
Maybe old age is setting in
Still respect you sir but you disappoint me here once again

Ignorance; no wonder there is massive failure in JAMB exam, and JAMB keeps making money.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by HolyTruth: 5:41am On May 19, 2013
babyosisi: Wole Soyinka should be careful not to destroy the legacy he has built by involving himself in unsavory affairs.
The first time the Prof disappointed me was when he spoke in support of Patience Jonathan's perm sec appointment,now this.

Chinua Achebe was called the father and grandfather of African literature by others
He did not label himself that
People recognized his immeasurable contribution to African literature and bestowed on him that honor in his lifetime so it is quite petty for WS whom I respect a great to utter such words.
It makes him sound jealous and he should be above such pettiness.
Michael Jackson was called the King of Pop
Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll
Donna Summer was the Queen of Disco While Aretha Franklin is and remains the Queen of soul
That label on Chinua is deserving.

Secondly why speak about Chinua's Book in his death what you couldn't say while he was alive?
I love Soyinka but his words here are beneath a man of his calibre
Maybe old age is setting in
Still respect you sir but you disappoint me here once again

Good job Asa...U've said my mind

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:42am On May 19, 2013
babyosisi:

He made African literature popular and respected
Fiction or no fiction
African literature became a staple in USA schools due to Achebe and his things fall apart
That is the point
Your attempt to belittle fiction is laughable
I hope you know most classics that have stood the test of time by authors like Shakespeare,Mark Twain and George Orwell are fiction and the most widely sold book by an African ( things fall apart) also happens to be fiction so Chinua is in excellent company.
I smell ignorance all through your post.

Secondly I am tired of educating some of you ,it is annoying to read folks parrot what they hear others say without checking out the facts for themselves
Chinua's most popular book was fiction
But he has to his credit several non fictional books

He is your countryman celebrated the world over,others shouldn't know more about him and his works more than you do
If only the cloak of tribalism will let you.
You've refused to learn from people here and from the clarification of WS himself. Sorry. To people like you that say WS is jealous of CA, I ask, what does WS, the first black man to win the Nobel Laureate in Literature, stand to get from this?

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by HolyTruth: 5:44am On May 19, 2013
Soyinka's is definitely a good man. No one can take it away from him. But I perceive some atom of jealousy - bad belle - in his response. Why not simply leave it as " Achebe deserves to be the Father of African Literature"

By making such remark,someone else would possibly refer to him (Wole) as the "King or Grand father of African Literature" at his demise.

There is a local adage that translates as follows " He who serves the King lives to become a King" - Just a food for thought

11 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:45am On May 19, 2013
babyosisi: This is from a fellow writer,a non Nigerian at Chinuas death and it captures the essence of it all
Let us call a spade a spade
I will post an excerpt

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/03/22/1196200/-RIP-Chinua-Achebe
Read Tunde Okanlawon article on the Sun of May 4.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 6:47am On May 19, 2013
[quote author=oily+Yoruba] I must state here, with heavy regret that Prof. Wole Soyinka disappointed some of his staunchest allies/followers (which I'm part of) when he said "Prof. Achebe shouldn't have written his last book". Does the erstwhile able Prof. Soyinka want history and the truth to be silenced/concealed? Why is he suddenly against the truth which is documented in the book called "there was a country"?

Let me state here also, following in the foot-steps of Wole Soyinka that: he (Soyinka) shouldn't have been against the truth undecided. What a shame! [
Try to digest this line, 'bluff is no substitute for bullet.'

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 6:53am On May 19, 2013
babyosisi: In the wake of Achebe's memoir,WS was interviewed by the Telegraph newspaper in London
This is part of that write up

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/soyinka-backs-achebe-on-civil-war-memoir/127

Achebe dies and the same WS now says he should have never written his memoir?
What a man
I now know your problem - ignorance and inability to comprehend. Wole Soyinka never said he supported Chinua Achebe's new book. He only said those angry with the book or the author should write their own books. Sorry.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 6:59am On May 19, 2013
shymexx: Damn son!! I had to read this interview again. Who's better than this man in the use of English? This Ijebu Nigerian invented the English language!! grin I bet William Shakespeare would marvel at his use of diction, multi-syllable words, verbs, adverbs, the captivating structure of his sentences - and how he succinctly and intellectually answered all the questions, he was asked.

I'm not the type to go nuts about the use of English; but this man is the supreme grammarian!! grin

Respect!

Jah bless!!
What do you expect? WS teaches both English Literature and Literature-in-English. It is very rare.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by dayokanu(m): 7:16am On May 19, 2013
Kongi nails it

Father of African literature LOL

WHo is Father of ancient African Literature

WHo is father of modern and ancient Asian Literature

Who is father of modern and ancient European literature?

Some people just like village awards,

Same with the fabled "Father of Internet"

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by funnyx(m): 7:24am On May 19, 2013
There's absolutely no reason to tribalise this interview! WS was only stating the obvious, Professor Chinua Achebe himself rejected this tag of 'Father of African Literature' because there was no such title.
No one can be a father of African literature because literature is not just one genre, just as you cannot call someone the father or king of sports because sports is not just about football.

8 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:35am On May 19, 2013
funnyx: There's absolutely no reason to tribalise this interview! WS was only stating the obvious, Professor Chinua Achebe himself rejected this tag of 'Father of African Literature' because there was no such title.
No one can be a father of African literature because literature is not just one genre, just as you cannot call someone the father or king of sports because sports is not just about football.
Wrong!

Here are other titles given

Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1343 A.D. – October 25, 1400 A.D.), known as the Father of English literature,
is widely considered the greatest English poet of the Middle Ages. Chaucer is a crucial figure in developing the legitimacy of the vernacular, Middle English, at a time when the dominant literary languages in England were French and Latin.
http://learningtogether2012./2012/01/26/geoffrey-chaucer-father-of-english-literature/

Samuel Longhorne Clemens (1835-1910), known by the pen name Mark Twain, has been called “the father of American literature. ” In his day he was America’s most famous literary icon. A humorist, satirist, lecturer and novelist, Twain combined narrative wit and a strong sense of irony to create distinctive masterpieces based on American culture and language. His works drew upon his extensive travels and show a remarkable depth of human character and perception of individual experience. Twain’s writing provides a unique reflection of the American way of life in the latter part of the nineteenth century.
http://blog.paperblanks.com/2011/11/mark-twain-bio-“the-father-of-american-literature-”/

So why do you have problem with Chinua being the father of African literature, a title he truly deserved
You folks are pathetic

Chinua's rejection of the title was out of modesty
Did it stop the label?

Did you expect him to say yes I am the father of African literature?
That would be foolish don't you think?.
I am glad he was called that throughout his career by non Nigerians and not a title given him in death by NdiIgbo

17 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:38am On May 19, 2013
babyosisi:

Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1343 A.D. – October 25, 1400 A.D.), known as the Father of English literature,
is widely considered the greatest English poet of the Middle Ages. Chaucer is a crucial figure in developing the legitimacy of the vernacular, Middle English, at a time when the dominant literary languages in England were French and Latin.
http://learningtogether2012./2012/01/26/geoffrey-chaucer-father-of-english-literature/

Samuel Longhorne Clemens (1835-1910), known by the pen name Mark Twain, has been called “the father of American literature. ” In his day he was America’s most famous literary icon. A humorist, satirist, lecturer and novelist, Twain combined narrative wit and a strong sense of irony to create distinctive masterpieces based on American culture and language. His works drew upon his extensive travels and show a remarkable depth of human character and perception of individual experience. Twain’s writing provides a unique reflection of the American way of life in the latter part of the nineteenth century.
http://blog.paperblanks.com/2011/11/mark-twain-bio-“the-father-of-american-literature-”/

So why do you have problem with Chinua being the father of African literatures she he truly is
You folks are pathetic

U don wake up, babywood?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:50am On May 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
'The father of African literature' which Wole Soyinka tries to dissuade people from tagging Chinua Achebe was also rejected by Achebe. Read the thread again. Saying Achebe is the father of African literature is like saying Sunny is the king of music in Nigeria. This is wrong - what my teacher in my undergratuade days, Dr Dipo Fashina would call 'fallacy of hasty conclusion.' Sunny Ade is just a king of a genre of music known as juju. You can only call him king of music if he is the best in other genres like: highlife, reggae, hip hop, pop, country, R&B, etc.

Read the answer I have above regarding the father of American andEnglish literature
A father of African literature also exists
You are as wrong as WS here
next!

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by funnyx(m): 7:50am On May 19, 2013
babyosisi:

So why do you have problem with Chinua being the father of African literatures she he truly is
You folks are pathetic

Chinua's rejection of the title was out of modesty

Did ou expect him to say yes I am the father of African literature?
I am lead he was called that throughout his career and not a title given him in death

It seems you're set by default to post abuse and to see everyone from a tribal angle.
Chinua rejected the title because there was no such title and not out of modesty as you stated because if there will ever be such a title its not just for Nigerians alone to come up with, Africa is not just about Nigeria alone.
Why can't they award Shakespeare the father of European literature?

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:53am On May 19, 2013
funnyx:

It seems you're set by default to post abuse and to see everyone from a tribal angle.
Chinua rejected the title because there was no such title and not out of modesty as you stated because if there will ever be such a title its not just for Nigerians alone to come up with, Africa is not just about Nigeria alone.
Why can't they award Shakespeare the father of European literature?

Read my post once more and come up with an answer that is in line with the response I gave
You seem to be answering to another thread altogether

The title of father of African literature is not out of line
Other fathers of literature in other locations exist and I just gave you 2 examples
Kapish?

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 8:01am On May 19, 2013
I think Soyinka lost it by making this assertion himself instead of allowing it to come from Achebe's mouth. It will be misconstrued to paint him as jealous. It's very possible that Achebe frowned upon being called the father of internet not because he doesn't think he's qualified. The "Father of Internet" tag is not an award but a recognition of one's immense contribution to literature in Africa. it doesn't necessarily make his works the best but the most influential and we can argue from now till next year, Achebe is the arguably the most influential African writer until his death hence the need for the title. This is not about genre of anything. Tell me an African writer of any genre whose book has more influence than those of Achebe. Let's not stretch it, whether Achebe wants to be called that or not, if anybody deserves that title it's no other than person than "Chinua Achebe".

20 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by funnyx(m): 8:03am On May 19, 2013
babyosisi:

Read my post once more and come up with an answer that is in line with the response I gave
You seem to be answering to another thread altogether

The title of father of African literature is not out of line
Other fathers of literature in other locations exist and I just gave you 2 examples
Kapish?

You don't get it do you?, you're free to award Prof Achebe the father of world literature if you like, whatever makes you feel high.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:08am On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva: I think Soyinka lost it by making this assertion himself instead of allowing it to come from Achebe's mouth. It will be misconstrued to paint him as jealous. It's very possible that Achebe frowned upon being called the father of internet not because he doesn't think he's qualified. The "Father of Internet" tag is not award but a recognition of one's immense contribution to literature in Africa. it doesn't necessarily make his works the best but the most influential and we can argue from now till next year, Achebe is the arguably the most influential African writer until his death hence the need for the title. This is not about genre of anything. Tell me an African writer of any genre whose book has more influence than those of Achebe. Let's not stretch it, whether Achebe wants to be called that or not, if anybody deserves that title it's no other than person than "Chinua Achebe".

Nadine Gordimer another Nobel winner 1991 from South Africa calls Chinua the father of modern African literature
WS should never have talked the way he did
He belittled himself by that utterance

The history of Nigeria cannot be told without author Chinua Achebe's voice. The man whom fellow author Nadine Gordimer called the "father of modern African literature" died this morning at the age of 82.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2013/0322/Chinua-Achebe-is-remembered-as-the-father-of-modern-African-literature

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:11am On May 19, 2013
babyosisi:

Read the answer I have above regarding the father of American andEnglish literature
A father of African literature also exists
You are as wrong as WS here
next!
WS has clarified a lot of issues here but you've refused to learn.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:13am On May 19, 2013
funnyx:

You don't get it do you?, you're free to award Prof Achebe the father of world literature if you like, whatever makes you feel high.

Kai
Na so e dey pain una? shocked shocked shocked
Pele my broda
I didn't give him the name
Deal with it
That is a title that should make any Nigerian proud that the African being spoken of comes from his homeland but tribalism gets the better part of you
Deal with it I say

9 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by funnyx(m): 8:30am On May 19, 2013
babyosisi:

Kai
Na so e dey pain una? shocked shocked shocked
Pele my broda
I didn't give him the name
Deal with it
That is a title that should make any Nigerian proud that the African being spoken of comes from his homeland but tribalism gets the better part of you
Deal with it I say

Tribalism? grin me a tribalist? I'm never one will never be one. I understand it's the new trend on NL for tribalist to call anyone that disagree with them a tribalist just to win an argument grin if you're looking for a tribalist look in the mirror.
Wetin go dey pain me because dem award Prof Achebe a title? Wetin be my own and how does that affect my life? Professor Achebe has made his mark no doubt so instead of arguing with you on issue that add nothing to my life I'll rather concentrate on how to make my own mark that will make coming generation remember me for good.

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eggheaders(m): 8:35am On May 19, 2013
WS, wrote this piece for people with the mindset of babyosisi and her likes. in local parlance the man don see them finish.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:44am On May 19, 2013
@babyosisi, thank you so much. Adadioramma. Thank you!

10 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Xfactoria: 8:49am On May 19, 2013
It is very obvious here that these people from that erosion prone part of the world like to compete and crave recognition even where it is questionable/fraudulent. Its in their blood so there is no point arguing with them. I remember how that fraudster/liar called father of internet was found out and demystified.

It still beats me how writing a popular story book for high school students makes one a father of modern African literature ahead of others who chose a more advance set of readers? Does the lack of popularity of one's book diminish the quality or depth of literary brilliance? I guess the Nobel Prize givers and by extension, those who really matters in world literature knows best.

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:04am On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva: I think Soyinka lost it by making this assertion himself instead of allowing it to come from Achebe's mouth.

Achebe was educated enough to reject such a title while on earth. But intense promotion of such has been the work of the untiring hagiographers and vicarious sympathizers who sometimes do cry more than the bereaved. Soyinka lost nothing by pointing out what's factually correct. There is no such thing as Father of African literature-at least not in relation to the duo-because quite frankly, African literature predated Soyinka and Achebe.

Afam4eva: It doesn't necessarily make his works the best but the most influential and we can argue from now till next year, Achebe is the arguably the most influential African writer until his death hence the need for the title.

This assertion of your provokes an uncontrollable laughter. If Achebe is "arguably" as you put it, then he is certainly not the most influential. If that does not necessary make his works the best, then on what premise do we base his influence? That's the core of the abuse of the phrase "Father of Africa literature" Who exactly did he influence-no one would mention? What vicarious sympathizers pontificate again and again are just vague generalizations that are neither rooted in facts nor in any meaningful research.

On the other hand, I don't think there is need for such a vain title. It's only in Africa perhaps much more pronounced in Nigeria that we bestow on ourselves all sorts of unmerited appellations and titles. In one breadth, someone is called or perhaps called oneself Otunba Olorogun Asiwaju ojogbon omowe engineer professor xyz where an ordinary Mr would have done the magic. Achebe did not create a new genre of literature that one would have been able to justify such vainglorious title. So what did he do exactly to merit such title?

Afam4eva: This is not about genre of anything. Tell me an African writer of any genre whose book has more influence than those of Achebe. Let's not stretch it, whether Achebe wants to be called that or not, if anybody deserves that title it's no other than person than "Chinua Achebe".

That's perception which is quite far from reality. And more often those who indulge in such should show some "humility and respect facts" to paraphrase Soyinka. So if it's not about genre, on what basis should we base the influence? Achebe is not known to have written any good poems or poetry of literary value. Same is applicable to plays and drama. But he has been a consistent good story teller essentially confined to prose or to a lay man "Novel" genre. How logical would it be to now call him "Father of Africa Literature" where there is dexterous versatility in the works of others who might have not been a great story teller but nevertheless wrote good novels, great poems and great plays. That's what make your definition arguable.

To truly lay claim to being the best as his camp followers tend to laboriously assert-and to go mathematical- he should have displayed unparalleled, unequaled and unassailable lead in at least two genres of literature. That's why the bogus appellation is ludicrous at best and projection of willful ignorance at worst.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 9:18am On May 19, 2013
Prof Corruption:

Achebe was educated enough to reject such a title while on earth. But intense promotion of such has been the work of the untiring hagiographers and vicarious sympathizers who sometimes do cry more than the bereaved. Soyinka lost nothing by pointing out what's factually correct. There is no such thing as Father of African literature-at least not in relation to the duo-because quite frankly, African literature predated Soyinka and Achebe.
Of course there's no such award as "father of Literature" but the term can be used to describe person or persons who have shaped Africa with their literary works.

Prof Corruption:
This assertion of your provokes an uncontrollable laughter. If Achebe is "arguably" as you put it, then he is certainly not the most influential. If that does not necessary make his works the best, then on what premise do we base his influence? That's the core of the abuse of the phrase "Father of Africa literature" Who exactly did he influence-no one would mention? What vicarious sympathizers pontificate again and again are just vague generalizations that are neither rooted in facts nor in any meaningful research.
BY using "Arguably", i'm trying not to give other writers the benefit of the doubt as it regards their influence. It's just a way of showing respect to other writers of repute. I could as well use "Unarguably" and heaven will not fall.

What sort of influence are you expecting other than the that his books have been touted to be one of the most read books ever. That is a huge achievement for a book coming from Africa. The respect he garners from world figures is astounding. No need to stress it as far as his influence goes. Look for something else.

Prof Corruption:
On the other hand, I don't think there is need for such a vain title. It's only in Africa perhaps much more pronounced in Nigeria that we bestow on ourselves all sorts of unmerited appellations and titles. In one breadth, someone is called or perhaps called oneself Otunba Olorogun Asiwaju ojogbon omowe engineer professor xyz where an ordinary Mr would have done the magic. Achebe did not create a new genre of literature that one would have been able to justify such vainglorious title. So what did he do exactly to merit such title?

That's perception which is quite far from reality. And more often those who indulge in such should show some "humility and respect facts" to paraphrase Soyinka. So if it's not about genre, on what basis should we base the influence? Achebe is not known to have written any good poems or poetry of literary value. Same is applicable to plays and drama. But he has been a consistent good story teller essentially confined to prose or to a lay man "Novel" genre. How logical would it be to now call him "Father of Africa Literature" where there is dexterous versatility in the works of others who might have not been a great story teller but nevertheless wrote good novels, great poems and great plays. That's what make your definition arguable.

To truly lay claim to being the best as his camp followers tend to laboriously assert-and to go mathematical- he should have displayed unparalleled, unequaled and unassailable lead in at least two genres of literature. That's why the bogus appellation is ludicrous at best and projection of willful ignorance at worst.

Like i said previously, it's not a title like the ones you stated. He can't call himself "Father of INternet Chinua Achebe". It's just a pseudonym used to recognize his literary influence in and out of Africa.

Stop bringing the fact that he belongs to one genre to the fore. Does the fact that Tom Cruise is an action movie actor stop him from being awarded the best actor? Are there no Drama, Romance, comedic actors out there? Literature is literature, simple.

Who says you must lead in two genres of literature before been considered the best or most influential. is it written in the bible or the constitution of nations of the world? You guys have to desist from making statements that have no foundation or basis.

17 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Gorrbachev: 9:28am On May 19, 2013
hagiographer
hag·i·og·raph·er [hàggee óggrəfər, hàyjee óggrəfər]
(plural hag·i·og·raph·ers) or hag·i·og·raph·ist [hàggee óggrəfist, hàyjee óggrəfist] (plural hag·i·og·raph·ists)
noun
1. biographer of saints: a writer of biographies of the saints
2. reverential biographer: a writer of biographies that treat their subjects with undue reverence
3. writer of Hebrew Bible: a writer of the Hagiographa

Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by aribisala0(m): 9:36am On May 19, 2013
So many people have responded without understanding what they have read,what literature is or what Wole is saying
First of all what is literature?
Traditionally ,for Europeans,it would refer to the "written" word/language

NOT necessarily written for Africans
http://dlibrary.acu.edu.au/staffhome/siryan/academy/foundation/what_is_literature.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_literature

I realise there are several sensible definitions but a working definition for me would have to go beyond "writing" and focus on "RECORDED" which may involve human memory, or other technology than writing otherwise we would be saying literature is closed to blind people or that audio forms are NOT literature and if we admit audio forms do we admit performances that are typical of Africans and their use of language involving no writing?
These issues have been debated elsewhere and responding without undersanding these issues is just folly

I think the primary quarrel which many modern writers have with designating Achebe "father" of Afrian literature is simple; namely that it reinforces the European prejudices that there was no literature before they "civilized" us .Also it confines any works previously Not done in European languages to the dustbin and sells the idea we did not record anything before Europeans civilized us and our young people lose curiousity about their heritage and accept there was no African Literaure till Achebe came along.
We have had literature in Africa for millenia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kebra_Negast
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Sundiata
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utendi_wa_Tambuka
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_the_Dead
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_Texts

The stories of Kunkuru,Yemenibo,Anansi etc are ALL literature.

What about the Ifa Odus/Canon are they not literature even recognized as a Masterpice of Oral Humaniy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masterpieces_of_the_Oral_and_Intangible_Heritage_of_Humanity
Does literature have to be written or can it be recorded and transmitted in other ways. Braille,audio recording, human memory and oral tradition.This question has been debated elsewhere.The context of Wole's argument as I understand it is "Africa has had literature for centuries just like Europeans and others" and so to designate anyone who is alive or even was alive in recent memory as Father is patronizing and wrong.The fact that white people did not know about our "literature" that it was written or not ,did not comply with their definition of literaure is irrelevant.

Let us take a number of forms drama and poetry. Did Africans have drama before Achebe or even before colonization? Does failure to record them in written or "European compliant" ways make them any less "literature" than Shakespeare etc.
Achebe's work is peppered with wonderful examples of ,in my view, literary forms,which clearly are ancient Igbo heritage that have clearly been transmitted over several generations. .So Achebe is not even the father of Igbo literature which has been around for centuries but a child of it how then can he or anyone be the Father of African literature. That is like calling anyone of recent memory father of African music.

Imagine if someone starts cooking AFRICAN food on CNN and hey call him "Father of African Cooking"

The objections raised to this title being given to anyone alive or recently dead is that it diminishes Africa because it says there was no Igbo literature before Achebe no other African language literature or tha literature MUST be written and preferably acknowledged and validated externaly. All humans even blind and deaf can access literature and have done for ever.

Genealogies,tribal stories and many more forms are and have been performed in many African societies for ever in complex ways that are uniquely "African" but in my view qualify ,too, as literature. Those who wish to call Achebe Father may try "Father of "WRITTEN ENGLISH" Nigerian literature but [b]even that may be argued as he is not known for drama or other forms designed to be performed. [/b]We must not forget that the African is ,perhaps, drawn more o those forms that are performed rather than read as many masquerade ceremonies(Even among the Igbos ) show.I think there is a very grave misunderstanding of what literature is and I agree that this unseemly argument impugns Achebe's legacy.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (46) (Reply)

Meet Joke, The Beautiful Wife Of Jide Sanwo-olu (photos) / Prophet Rev Akinbo: Rotimi Amaechi Is Going To Be Nigeria’s Next President / Olawale Bakare Mandate Speaks From Hiding (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.