Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,345 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast (8152 Views)

Flash Back: Osinbajo Promises Free Meal For Students / Agbaje Promises Free Internet Access To Lagosians If He Wins / The Reason For Southeast To Vote Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by Nobody: 11:02pm On May 18, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan has promised to establish a free trade zone in the South East to boost economic
activities in the area.

Jonathan made the promise at the ground-breaking ceremony of the international wing of the Akanu Ibiam International Airport in Enugu on
Saturday.

The president, who noted that a free trade zone would only be operational where there was an international airport or a functional seaport,
said the facility had been over-due in the zone.

http://www.punchng.com/news/president-jonathan-promises-free-trade-zone-for-south-east/
http://m.naij.com/news/34479.html
Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by ekoilee: 11:09pm On May 18, 2013
Federal government to establish free trade zone? I was going to laugh, but I'll just smh cos its obviously talk or joke.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by Nobody: 11:11pm On May 18, 2013
Interesting! btw, when is the construction of the second niger bridge commencing?

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by eggheaders(m): 11:13pm On May 18, 2013
anything to return in 2015 the otueke drunkard will oblige to do. it seems the infrastructures and political appointment is now more worthy than the igbo presidency. very naive peeps I swear.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by Nobody: 11:14pm On May 18, 2013
eko ilee: Federal government to establish free trade zone? I was going to laugh, but I'll just smh cos its obviously talk or joke.
Has the Federal Government ever established a free trade zone in any part of the country? If no, then this must be another paper project. If yes, then the southeast should go into fasting and prayers for the project to be realistic!
Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by malc619(m): 11:18pm On May 18, 2013
Naïve peeps with zero political relevance are easily swayed with empty promises...

SMH
Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by eggheaders(m): 11:19pm On May 18, 2013
berem: Interesting! btw, when is the construction of the second niger bridge commencing?

the enugu airport self has at my last visit was still an eyesore. can't stand the stench of the toilet I have to pee in a bush path near the cafeteria. coupled with some flaws by the contractor handling the project, the already completed check-in still look very basic.
Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by Goddex: 11:26pm On May 18, 2013
eko ilee[b:
]Federal government to establish free trade zone?[/b] I was going to laugh, but I'll just smh cos its obviously talk or joke.

This guy, are you for real? FG cannot establish a Free Trade Zone or what? Is it not FG that established and own the Calabar, Onne and Kano Free Trade Zones?

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by Nobody: 11:42pm On May 18, 2013
eko ilee: Federal government to establish free trade zone? I was going to laugh, but I'll just smh cos its obviously talk or joke.
your problem is lack of brain. Confirmed isiazu

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by ekoilee: 11:52pm On May 18, 2013
Goddex:

This guy, are you for real? FG cannot establish a Free Trade Zone or what? Is it not FG that established and own the Calabar, Onne and Kano Free Trade Zones?

The federal government shouldn't be establishing free trade zones and even the ones you mentioned, in what state or condition are they in? Are they not all white elephants?
Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by ekoilee: 11:55pm On May 18, 2013
chidindufrank: your problem is lack of brain. Confirmed isiazu

My lack of brain of course doesn't mean you have one or competent enough to formulate and add meaningful thoughts to the discussion beyond your meager vocabulary....

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by Bobandgreat: 2:00am On May 19, 2013
Hey, no need to feel threatened yet. This is just a promise. When the foundation is laid, and work starts, then u can voice out your frustration. For now, allow the SE to enjoy the promise.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by koruji(m): 2:58am On May 19, 2013
He has started making empty promises again.
Only this time he knows where not to take this trade in useless promises.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by Demdem(m): 3:27am On May 19, 2013
I wonder when the retardeen will fulfill the floating cities he promised us here in ND.
Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by talktimi(m): 3:56am On May 19, 2013
The dogs are out, are Enugu people complaining about the FTZ promise ?
Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by Goddex: 8:49am On May 19, 2013
eko ilee:

The federal government shouldn't be establishing free trade zones and even the ones you mentioned, in what state or condition are they in? Are they not all white elephants?

You obviously need to travel. My guy, if you say the Onne, Calabar and Kano Free Trade Zones are white elephant projects, well, I will leave you to your ignorance. My advice to some of you has often been that you leave this Lagos propaganda and also visit other places. Some of you guys don't travel outside Lagos/South West. How will you describe Onne or Calabar Free Trade Zones with multi-billion naira Investments as white elephant? So, in your illiterate mind, only the Lagos Free Trade Zone is working, abi?

16 Likes

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by ballabriggs: 9:23am On May 19, 2013
Goddex:

You obviously need to travel. My guy, if you say the Onne, Calabar and Kano Free Trade Zones are white elephant projects, well, I will leave you to your ignorance. My advice to some of you has often been that you leave this Lagos propaganda and also visit other places. Some of you guys don't travel outside Lagos/South West. How will you describe Onne or Calabar Free Trade Zones as white elephant? So, in your illiterate mind, only the Lagos Free Trade Zone is working, abi?

What percentage of trade in those areas make up your exports? Absolutely insignificant. Contribution to GDP? Grossly insignificant. That is how you assess performance and not your "you need to travel" approach.

Those places are just there, nothing major going on. The whole idea behind the Calabar EPZ was to have another Abu Dhabi but after over 20 years of coming on board, these things are still insignificant.

The South East should ask how many ships have docked at Onitsha since the opening of that container terminal abi na river port then we will take Jonathan serious. Till then this is another poor and cheap gimmick.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by Goddex: 10:15am On May 19, 2013
ballabriggs:

What percentage of trade in those areas make up your exports? Absolutely insignificant. Contribution to GDP? Grossly insignificant. That is how you assess performance and not your "you need to travel" approach.

Those places are just there, nothing major going on. The whole idea behind the Calabar EPZ was to have another Abu Dhabi but after over 20 years of coming on board, these things are still insignificant.

The South East should ask how many ships have docked at Onitsha since the opening of that container terminal abi na river port then we will take Jonathan serious. Till then this is another poor and cheap gimmick.

So government should just stay and do nothing because activities at some of the Free Trade Zones have not picked up comparable to Abu Dhabi? For your information, the Onne Free Zone is working and attracting billions of naira additional Investments each year. The Calabar EPZ you talked about just attracted over 150 billion naira investment agreement with GE electronics. It's gradually. The EPZ challenges are not in isolation with the entire Nigerian problem. The problem with some peeps here is that they must criticise because the source is somebody or region they hate.

13 Likes

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by ballabriggs: 10:28am On May 19, 2013
Goddex:

So government should just stay and do nothing because activities at some of the Free Trade Zones have not picked up comparable to Abu Dhabi? For your information, the Onne Free Zone is working and attracting billions of naira additional Investments each year. The Calabar EPZ you talked about just attracted over 150 billion investment agreement with GE electronics. It's gradually. The EPZ challenges are not in isolation with the entire Nigerian problem. The problem with some peeps here is that they must criticise because the source is somebody or region they hate.

Evidence that it is making a significant contribution and it is meeting the objectives which it was set out to achieve. It is there just like the Nigerian Police is there, however, how significant is its impact. Till GE starts bringing in their inflows then we can start talking. Till then it is still a pipe dream. I can talk of making an investment, it is not the same as implementing strategy.
Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by Decapo: 10:39am On May 19, 2013
OK
Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by bobthebuilder99(m): 10:40am On May 19, 2013
Jonathan promises... undecided

Hurry up and DELIVER!
Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by JIkaba(m): 10:47am On May 19, 2013
Here coms d PROMISE, whts d COMPROMISE? undecidedHere coms d PROMISE, whts d COMPROMISE?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by flames77(m): 10:48am On May 19, 2013
And i offering free toturial on mtn magic sim,learn how to browse free forever @ www.naijatalkz..com

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by Nobody: 10:50am On May 19, 2013
" We ask the risen Jesus, who turns death into life, to change hatred into love, vengeance into forgiveness, war into peace ". God bless mr jona. God bless the south east!

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by thelastPope(m): 10:54am On May 19, 2013
ballabriggs:

Evidence that it is making a significant contribution and it is meeting the objectives which it was set out to achieve. It is there just like the Nigerian Police is there, however, how significant is its impact. Till GE starts bringing in their inflows then we can start talking. Till then it is still a pipe dream. I can talk of making an investment, it is not the same as implementing strategy.

Why do some of you ACN people think you must talk down on anything done outside of Lagos? It is very pathetic. You smell of hatred and bitterness. It seems you will get ulcer if other parts of Nigeria develop. Witchcraft!

19 Likes

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by Policewoman(f): 10:56am On May 19, 2013
berem: President Goodluck Jonathan has promised to establish a free trade zone in the South East to boost economic
activities in the area.

Jonathan made the promise at the ground-breaking ceremony of the international wing of the Akanu Ibiam International Airport in Enugu on
Saturday.

The president, who noted that a free trade zone would only be operational where there was an international airport or a functional seaport,
said the facility had been over-due in the zone.

http://www.punchng.com/news/president-jonathan-promises-free-trade-zone-for-south-east/
I was there LIVE in Enugu yesterday and believe me, Jonathan means business as i overheard the works minster discussing it with the Aviation minister. The foundation for the international runway has already been laid and work has commenced. The 2nd Niger bridge is no fluke either. Works will begin in a few months and Julius Berger is the contractor. GEJ for 2015. No more vacancy in aso rock.

14 Likes

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by Policewoman(f): 10:59am On May 19, 2013
Goddex:

Don't mind the silly illiterates. Do Local Govts or States have the resources to establish a trade free zone? Go to Onne P.H trade free zone and tell me if it was the state that built it or the f.g. Olodos.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by ajanaku2(m): 11:00am On May 19, 2013
berem:

Saturday.

An international Airport in Southeast Nigeria had been long overdue...Ki lo de?

No more Enugu to Lagos to China...Now it's gonna be a direct non-stop flight from Enugu to China...

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by imsuboi(m): 11:01am On May 19, 2013
Hmm. Did we ask you for free trade zone? Abeg give us 24hour power supply!

Busy body

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:09am On May 19, 2013
Jonathan dey promise, u dey rejoice.
U dnt enter one chance!
Dnt say i didn't tell u o

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast by killuminati(m): 11:13am On May 19, 2013
berem: Interesting! btw, when is the construction of the second niger bridge commencing?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pascal Bafyau Is Dead (2012) / 4.58MILLION Nigerians Became Jobless, Is GEJ Still Clueless??? Reno Omokri / Ganduje Denies Masterminding Impeachment Of Kano Assembly Speaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.