Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,628 members, 7,816,588 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

Reason(s) Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers Or Lips - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Reason(s) Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers Or Lips (4469 Views)

Lipstick Left Woman With Swollen Lips - Lady Claims (Graphic Photos) / Manager Loses Four Fingers To Omega Machine In Awka (Graphic Photos) / Preventing And Treating Convulsions In Young Children. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reason(s) Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers Or Lips by AMossley(m): 7:26pm On May 20, 2013
Hello nairalanders,please I'm currently doing a research work on the reason(s) why some little children (from birth to 5/6 years) suck their fingers or lip while handling their navels.Some of them stop only after being matured enough to know that it's not promper or when they discover that they have been turned to object of butt by peers or when parents apply bitter things on their fingers.
Please I need reasonable contributions as per the reason(s).Is it congenital,medical or hereditary?
Re: Reason(s) Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers Or Lips by Rehil(f): 8:40pm On May 20, 2013
Wow,i am interested in this research.My elder daughter plays with her navel while sucking her tongue.While doing this,she loose concentration and its affecting her in school.Her younger brother sucks his lips,the side he always suck looks swalloned as if he fell.For her younger brother,i think he got it from her,he watch her sucking and he started doing it because he learns from her.Now its an addiction and i dnt know how to stop these.
Re: Reason(s) Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers Or Lips by demmykay: 9:02pm On May 20, 2013
M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ daughter is 2yrs + nd d way she handles/pulls her navel is making me sick. Her navel is so small dat she has to pull it out frm within nd she holds it out even when she sleep or eat. Recently she stated complaing of stomach ache nd she touches her navel nd says its paining her. We ve been trying to stop her but she will nt heed. Pls Wat can I do to stop her?though she dosnt suck her lips
Re: Reason(s) Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers Or Lips by Nobody: 5:08am On May 21, 2013
Start here... Its just a normal phase for most children. Those who dont stop are simply stuck in that phase.

http://psychology.about.com/library/bl/bl-psychosexual-stages.htm

According to Sigmund Freud, personality develops through a series of stages in which the the energies of the id are focused on certain erogenous areas. This psychosexual energy, or libido, was described as the driving force behind behavior.

The summary chart below offers a brief overview of these stages of psychosexual development, the approximate age levels for each stage and the primary conflict confronted at each stage.

Stage

Characteristics

Oral Stage

Birth to 1 year

An infant's primary interaction with the world is through the mouth. The mouth is vital for eating, and the infant derives pleasure from oral stimulation through gratifying activities such as tasting and sucking. If this need is not met, the child may develop an oral fixation later in life, examples of which include thumb-sucking, smoking, fingernail biting and overeating.

Anal Stage

1 to 3 years

Freud believed that the primary focus of the libido was on controlling bladder and bowel movements. Toilet training is a primary issue with children and parents. Too much pressure can result in an excessive need for order or cleanliness later in life, while too little pressure from parents can lead to messy or destructive behavior later in life.

Phallic Stage

3 to 6 years

Freud suggested that the primary focus of the id's energy is on the genitals. According to Freud, boy's experience an Oedipal Complex and girl's experience and Electra Complex, or an attraction to the opposite sex parent. To cope with this conflict, children adopt the values and characteristics of the same-sex parent, thus forming the superego.

Latent Stage

6 to 11 years

During this stage, the superego continues to develop while the id's energies are suppressed. Children develop social skills, values and relationships with peers and adults outside of the family.

Genital Stage

11 to 18 years

The onset of puberty causes the libido to become active once again. During this stage, people develop a strong interest in the opposite. If development has been successful to this point, the individual will continue to develop into a well-balanced person.

2 Likes

Re: Reason(s) Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers Or Lips by AMossley(m): 10:13am On May 21, 2013
double post
Re: Reason(s) Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers Or Lips by AMossley(m): 10:19am On May 21, 2013
SniperInADiaper: Start here... Its just a normal phase for most children. Those who dont stop are simply stuck in that phase.

http://psychology.about.com/library/bl/bl-psychosexual-stages.htm

According to Sigmund Freud, personality develops through a series of stages in which the the energies of the id are focused on certain erogenous areas. This psychosexual energy, or libido, was described as the driving force behind behavior.

The summary chart below offers a brief overview of these stages of psychosexual development, the approximate age levels for each stage and the primary conflict confronted at each stage.

Stage

Characteristics

Oral Stage

Birth to 1 year

An infant's primary interaction with the world is through the mouth. The mouth is vital for eating, and the infant derives pleasure from oral stimulation through gratifying activities such as tasting and sucking. If this need is not met, the child may develop an oral fixation later in life, examples of which include thumb-sucking, smoking, fingernail biting and overeating.

Anal Stage

1 to 3 years

Freud believed that the primary focus of the libido was on controlling bladder and bowel movements. Toilet training is a primary issue with children and parents. Too much pressure can result in an excessive need for order or cleanliness later in life, while too little pressure from parents can lead to messy or destructive behavior later in life.

Phallic Stage

3 to 6 years

Freud suggested that the primary focus of the id's energy is on the genitals. According to Freud, boy's experience an Oedipal Complex and girl's experience and Electra Complex, or an attraction to the opposite sex parent. To cope with this conflict, children adopt the values and characteristics of the same-sex parent, thus forming the superego.

Latent Stage

6 to 11 years

During this stage, the superego continues to develop while the id's energies are suppressed. Children develop social skills, values and relationships with peers and adults outside of the family.

Genital Stage

11 to 18 years

The onset of puberty causes the libido to become active once again. During this stage, people develop a strong interest in the opposite. If development has been successful to this point, the individual will continue to develop into a well-balanced person.
thanks,I did a course in psychology of eduction in which I studied about the research of sigmund on the developmental stages of children,but there're still some children that weren't starved with anything that could satisfy their oral stimulations yet they end up sucking their fingers or lips.
Re: Reason(s) Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers Or Lips by iletuntun456: 7:46pm On Jan 14, 2022
get your answers here.

https://www.isitnormal.com/post/i-play-with-and-stick-weird-things-in-my-belly-button-37486

AMossley:
Hello nairalanders,please I'm currently doing a research work on the reason(s) why some little children (from birth to 5/6 years) suck their fingers or lip while handling their navels.Some of them stop only after being matured enough to know that it's not promper or when they discover that they have been turned to object of butt by peers or when parents apply bitter things on their fingers.
Please I need reasonable contributions as per the reason(s).Is it congenital,medical or hereditary?

(1) (Reply)

Please Who Know This bitter Fruit Name? / Best Capsule Or Drug 4 Weight Gain.any Suggestions? / How Do I Stop Skipping Words While Writing.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.