Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,567 members, 7,827,124 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? (8767 Views)

Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) / Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by semid4lyfe(m): 9:53am On May 21, 2013
From the Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe Thread

Prof Corruption: Achebe's most read novel, Things Fall Apart, is not his best.

Arrow of God is better in richness, deployment of literary and artistic tools. Things Fall Apart is more successful as a political tool than a literary masterpiece. It's a counter narrative to repudiate the western imperial image of Africa.

An opinion I agree with.

Arrow of God is denser with detail than Things Fall Apart, with a good deal more technical discussion of the rituals and concepts underlying Igbo religious customs and with a larger and more fleshed-out cast of characters. It is also a far more interesting read IMO.

5 Likes

Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by LarrySun(m): 10:05am On May 21, 2013
I Believe That 'Things Fall Apart' Is The Author's Most Sensational Work. It Is Deep And Quite Rich. It Is The Only Book That Explains More About The Igbo Clans As Much As Mario Puzo's 'The Godfather' About The Mafia.

4 Likes

Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by luvablesam(m): 10:29am On May 21, 2013
Nah it wasn't,I think 'Man of the people' is better cos av read it twice every year for the last 15years n I think the book still maintains its relevance in our society till date especially in tribalism n politics

1 Like

Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by Okijajuju: 10:43am On May 21, 2013
Yes..

In fact, I dont think he wrote another book after that.. Okay! maybe Arrow of the Gods

That last book of his 'There was a country', for me no follow.

1 Like

Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by Freiburger(m): 10:48am On May 21, 2013
If that's his best work i can't really say, since i haven't gone through all his work yet, but it is the most popular, Arrow of God isn't a bad novel too.
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by kingingkinging: 10:48am On May 21, 2013
As an outsider to the literature world, I am not authorized to give any major opinion, however, almost all the people I know that are professional in literature world have said so.

Note that Achebe wrote Things fall apart when he was young and inexperienced, so it is very possible and likely correct. Thank God the book has commercial success however, it doesn't make it the best. QED.

1 Like

Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by ChristKid1: 10:52am On May 21, 2013
semid4lyfe: From the [url=/1294694/wole-soyinkas-interview-chinua-achebe]Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe[/url] Thread

An opinion I agree with.

Arrow of God is denser with detail than Things Fall Apart, with a good deal more technical discussion of the rituals and concepts underlying Igbo religious customs and with a larger and more fleshed-out cast of characters. It is also a far more interesting read IMO.

TFA sold millions of copies, translated in over 50 languages and in many schools all over the world. For me it is. smiley
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by DICKtator: 10:53am On May 21, 2013
Unarguably so.
I also liked Anthills of the Savannah,No Longer at Ease and Arrow of God
and the so-called "controversial" "There was a country"
grin grin grin grin
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by Afam4eva(m): 10:56am On May 21, 2013
I've always said it that there's no such this being best. It's a matter of personal opinion. "Things Fall Apart" just happen's to be Achebe's most sensational work.

1 Like

Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by AKO1(m): 10:57am On May 21, 2013
I've read Anthills (several times over as a set work in sec. school) and TFA.

I preferred TFA by a long mile.
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by blackbeau1(f): 10:58am On May 21, 2013
different strokes for different folks. for me, i believe things fall apart is his best.
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by Cyberknight: 10:59am On May 21, 2013
Okija juju: Yes..

In fact, I dont think he wrote another book after that.. Okay! maybe Arrow of the Gods

Well said, Mr. Juju. "There was a Country" was simply a personal memoir and in my opinion does not deserve the controversy that it generated. It was simply a man talking about his life, and nothing more.

1 Like

Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by Lilimax(f): 11:00am On May 21, 2013
My best is No longer at ease. shocked shocked
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by digitalman: 11:00am On May 21, 2013
Arrow of God is undoubtedly his best work. Read it
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by Parnassuss(m): 11:01am On May 21, 2013
luvable sam: Nah it wasn't,I think 'Man of the people' is better cos av reed twice every year for the last 15years n I think the book still maintains its relevance in our society till date especially in tribalism n politics

I am so happy for this thread, 'A man of the people' was exquisite but for me 'Arrows of the Gods' may be the best African novel I have read and among my top 5 best works from any author. AotG was just incredible in execution, style but most of in story. It was so tragic I think I cried at the end because for me, I felt pathetic for Ezeulu but more importantly I saw the degradation that came with colonial rule for the preset governmental structure. It was the best work Achebe ever did
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by 4peace(m): 11:03am On May 21, 2013
Chris†Kid:
TFA sold millions of copies, translated in over 50 languages and in many schools all over the world. For me it is. smiley

is it true upon all translation of TFA,no translation to IGBO or any naija languages?

1 Like

Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by yuzedo: 11:04am On May 21, 2013
Arrow of God...

Achebe wrote books that seared your consciousness and took you to the scene in 3rd-party observation. I lived in colonial and post-colonial era simply through his books especially No Longer At Ease. Damn, i don't know how he achieved that ability to transport the reader to the setting of his story and project the thoughts of both himself and his characters.

I remember a funny scene in NLAE where Obi Okonkwo went to see his girlfriend in his small car and because a big chief cabinet minister in a big car had settled the aged gateman, of course there was no respect left to give Obi. At a point when the disrespect was becoming too much, our man Obi chides the old gateman, "Don't be silly!", the gateman promptly fires back, "Be silly!".. CLASSIC! grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by fagin1982(m): 11:06am On May 21, 2013
Most of his works ..I love so much ...I prefer the Drama of Things fall Apart to the Novel...I so much love .No longer at Ease..I read it first @the age of 11..Since then I try to read it atleast every 2years....I love his works cos of the spicy African stories blended in all his Novels...Wish I can write and imagine like him

RIP Prof ...You affected lives positively
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by Gorrbachev: 11:08am On May 21, 2013
Chris†Kid:

You are totally missing the point.
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by eimuhb(f): 11:09am On May 21, 2013
'No longer at ease' is my best, once I pick it up, I hardly drop it till I'm through.
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by Maxymilliano(m): 11:11am On May 21, 2013
Freiburger: If that's his best work i can't really say, since i haven't gone through all his work yet, but it is the most popular, Arrow of God isn't a bad novel too.

It is the most popular among the works of Achebe but not the best, Man of the people is way ahead but less popular...
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:12am On May 21, 2013
I wonder what did Nigerians (IGBOS especially) learn from his work. how many reverted to Traditional Religion?
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by iamswizz(m): 11:12am On May 21, 2013
i still prefer eze goes to school

1 Like

Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by Nobody: 11:12am On May 21, 2013
I do agree. I personally think Arrow of God is his best, it was far more detailed and captivating. After that comes Things Fall Apart, No longer at Ease and even the controversial There was a Country. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the book.
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by dridowu: 11:15am On May 21, 2013
Cant say because with all sincerity i have never read any of his books may be because i dont like reading novel.
~cover my head in shame~ :-x
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by mike404(m): 11:19am On May 21, 2013
Okija juju: Yes..

Nwokem ina ako akuko ka onye agbara ogwu anwu na isi angry

6 Likes

Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by XFive: 11:27am On May 21, 2013
I like Chike and the river because my name is Chike and i like swimming

1 Like

Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by Nobody: 11:28am On May 21, 2013
una no dey tire ?
Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by Nobody: 11:29am On May 21, 2013
My Best is " THERE WAS A COUNTRY"....because that country would have been the Best cool cool tongue

1 Like

Re: Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? by 2scorehigh(m): 11:31am On May 21, 2013
How can it be?

Oh my God! This goes to show that not many people have read Chike And The River even in their secondary school days!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) / My Wife's Diary - Part 1 / The Perfect Couple (adults Only)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.