Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,486 members, 7,823,131 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter (14098 Views)

Pastor Rejects GEJ Trekker In Kwali / A Police Out Station In Kwali-abuja / We Are Ready To Fight Boko Haram - Female Hunter, Ladi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by Abiyamo: 10:06am On May 22, 2013
BIRTH AND EARLY DAYS
POTTERY IN NIGERIA
POTTERY CAREER
AWARDS, HONOURS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
DEATH & LEGACY

Please, do you have N20 note with you? Abeg, check your pocket. E suppose remain small sheinj na...lol! Okay. Turn it over and take a look at the back. Yes, the woman you are looking at is Ladi. Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's most famous potter (or ceramist in modern parlance). Dr. Hajia HADIZA LADI KWALI, MBE, D.Litt (ABU) is the only woman to grace any Nigerian note. But wait a minute, why is she the only woman, and why is she gracing the back of one out of the eight naira notes we've got? In a nation where women make up about half of the population, I am not too sure if we have been fair enough with their representations as our monetary symbols. And why does she even have to be at the back gan sef? Why not in front? Or what do you think? Na so so guys full front. And please, don't even talk about the N5,000 note, ok? Abeg. Lmao!

Well, that's not the topic for today. We'll focus on Ladi Kwali for now. When I was in JSS2 or so and our Fine Arts teacher mentioned her name, I was actually thinking the person was a 'male' because in my area, 'Ladi' is the shortened form of Oladimeji, a name normally reserved for males. I got the shock of my life when I checked the text book (I can't remember if it was Emu Ogumor now) and saw a veiled woman cuddling pots with every bit of mastery on display...lol!

BIRTH AND EARLY DAYS
Ladi Kwali was born in 1925 (some records like the 1984 Nigeria Year Book indicate 1920) in the village of Kwali, Abuja to a family of potters. In her family, the women were renowned for making outstandingly beautiful pots which were not just very impressive in terms of aesthetics but also had great functional value. These pots were used for ornamental purposes in the residences of the aristocrats while they found general use in storing water and in the kitchen to cook. Her first name 'Ladi' means 'born on Sunday' while the Kwali is the name of her Gwari town.

[img]http://.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/15-LADI-KWALI-NIGERIA-MOST-FAMOUS-POTTER.jpg[/img]
POTTERY IN NIGERIA

For centuries, the art of pottery has been the exclusive reserve of women in various cultures of Nigeria and other parts of Africa. Apart from the fact that these pots found a lot of uses, they were also (and still remain) veritable sources of income. And seriously, they've got wonderful items! Watch a video of Ushafa women potters here and make sure you patronise our local craftsmen and women. That way, you support their families, boost the economy and keep the money in local circulation (no mind the big thieves dem, thunder faya all of them!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpQeJRFJdk4

POTTERY CAREER
It was while growing up as a child that she learnt the traditional art of pottery using a method referred to as 'coiling and pinching'. She served as an apprentice under an aunt (her own mother was also a potter). You know small children pick up things very fast, especially in their surroundings watching adults doing it. With time, Ladi Kwali would become even much better and renowned than those she learnt the art from. The coiling method involved shaping slabs and coils of clay with the aid of a paddle with flattened surfaces made from wood. After getting the desired shape, she then goes ahead to make very impressive designs and dazzling geometric patterns on them. Her designs were truly very beautiful and a sight to behold. Once these designs are done, the next thing is to collect them and put in a blazing flame fuelled with dry grass. That was the tradition for thousands of years in Kwali and the women potter stuck to their age-long tradition.

Unlike some others, Ladi Kwali took time to make her designs and they stood out with their extreme beauty and exquisite charm. The Emir of Abuja, Alhaji Suleiman Barau was so enchanted that he bought many for his collection (how I wish Nigerian leaders today will keep patronizing the local artisans and manufacturers instead of shamelessly running abroad and engaging in annoying consumerist stupidities that belittle the effort of every hardworking Nigerian).

It was at the palace of the Emir of Abuja that the famed English studio potter, Michael Cardew, OBE, saw her pots on a visit in 1950. Cardew was also astonished at the level of detail and skill that must have gone into the making of those pots. Michael Cardew (who later stayed behind working in West Africa for good 20 years) took it upon himself to proclaim the talents of the legendary potter to the whole world. Ladi Kwali's trip to fame was initiated and till date, her works remain legendary and remains an icon of modern art in Nigeria.

In 1951, the British colonial government (via the Northern Regional Government), Cardew was appointed as the Pottery Officer at the Department of Commerce and Industry. His job was simple: build a rural industry that would serve as a replace the factory-made tableware imported for European meals. It was then he built a very successful pottery training center in Abuja and recruited Hausa and Gwari men whom he trained. But when he spotted the works of Ladi Kwali, he knew that was the real stuff and she became the very first woman potter to be enrolled at the Abuja Pottery Center in 1954. He managed to convince her to come over to Abuja and from then on, her spot in fame was assured.

At the center, she was exposed to modern methods which she adopted. For the first time, she started using the potter's wheel (they did not use that in her village) and with time, her skills even became much more refined. In addition to making pots, she also made eating bowls, dishes and beakers with outstanding sgraffito designs. Sgrafitto is a type of technique in which layers of contrasting colours are applied to the surface of an unfired ceramic then scraped or scratched to produce a drawing in the outline. Artists in the house will tell us more about that joor!

But there is one thing I must tell you about her. Even though she came to learn and adopt modern techniques such as throwing, decorating and glazing, she never abandoned her old traditional methods of making and decorating the pots with bare hands. All she did was to perfectly blend the two together or use whichever one suited her purpose. And her blending of traditional African pottery with Western studio pottery (using high-temperature kilns) to create a unique Anglo-Nigerian style was nothing short of pure genius! And another thing: Kwali was clearly recognized as a potter of outstanding craftsmanship within the Gwari community before joining the center. So, she had already made a name for herself before joining the center, her joining the center only amplified what was on ground.

[img]http://.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2-LADI-KWALI-NIGERIA-MOST-FAMOUS-POTTER.jpg[/img]

AWARDS, HONOURS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
-On October 1, 1960, her works were displayed at the Nigerian Independence Day Celebrations.

-In 1963, after one of her superb demonstrations (she toured England in 1962), she was honoured with the award of the Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE) (see pictures). She was an easy-going woman , very easy to communicate with and had a cheerful disposition. These features made her indispensable on her overseas tours where she eagerly demonstrated her techniques to wide-eyed whites….lol! Upon coming back from the United Kingdom after the award, she was so excited and narrated all her experiences so much so that staff at the center sarcastically nicknamed her ‘Radio London’…lol!

-She had workshops, demonstrations and exhibitions all over the globe: American cities: Dallas, Los Angeles and Chicago, Italy, Geneva (Switzerland), Canada, Germany, London (United Kingdom) and others. She was more of an artist and designer than a technician.

-Later on, the Abuja Pottery Center was renamed Ladi Kwali Pottery Center in her honour after her death in the 1984 and same goes for the Ladi Kwali Way in Maitama, Abuja which bears her name today. She is also, as you know, featured on the reverse of the N20 note.

-Although she never went to school, could neither read nor write, she was honoured with a doctorate degree by the Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, Kaduna State in 1977. She was actually a part-time lecturer and demonstrator at the university. One of her students is Professor Abbas Ahuwan, now a ceramist and lecturer at ABU. He would later introduce the ‘udu’ drum to his American student, Frank Giorgini. Today, the udu drum has now been adopted in the United States as percussion instrument.

-In 1980, the Nigerian Government (from the Cabinet Office of the Federal Republic of Nigeria) invested on her with the insignia of the Nigerian National Merit Award (NNMA), the highest national honour for academic achievement. This award in itself turned her into ‘an institution of Art’.

-She also received the national honour of the Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON) in 1981. If there is anything you are good at, I tell you, keep doing it irrespective of the obstacles of life or the sneers and jeers of the enemies.

Silver Award for Excellence, Tenth International Exhibition for Ceramic Art, Smithsonian Institute, Washington DC.

-Then there is also the Ladi Kwali Convention Center, one of the largest conference facilities in Abuja. The center is located at the Abuja Sheraton Hotel and has a total of 10 meeting rooms and four ball rooms

-The Dr.Ladi Kwali Road near NITEL Office in Minna, Niger State is named for her.

-Nigerian sculptor, Ambrose Diala is almost done with a sculpture of Ladi Kwali to be erected in from of the Federal Secretariat, Abuja.

Before I forget, Ladi Kwali is of the same ethnicity with Nigeria’s former Head of State and military dictator, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida. They are both Gwaris (also called Gwarin Yamma, Gbagyis or Gbaris and are found mainly in the FCT, Nasarawa, Kaduna, Kogi and Niger States)

DEATH & LEGACY
She died on the 12th of August 1984 at the age of 59 in Minna, shortly after Cardew’s death the previous year. Upon her death, many of her students of pottery took over and continued the art at the Abuja Pottery Training Center. Although married, she did not have any child making me disagree with the Yoruba notion that it is only your progeny that can sustain your legacy. It is better not to have any kids at all than have some arungun and akotileta children who will just laze away and destroy all you have laboured for all your life. Ki Olohun showa lowo awon omo kpao! bi canned beer. That said, I’ve got nothing against procreating just that it does not necessarily guarantee your name being sustained in history. Afterall, many of the world’s greatest figures that we remember today actually had no children or the much-hyped sons. Yes, you guessed right! I was thinking of him too! LOL!

MORE PICTURES HERE>>>>http://.com/ladi-kwali-nigerias-most-famous-potter/

10 Likes

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by OAM4J: 10:48am On May 22, 2013
Sorry , AntiSpambot mistook your post for spam and banned you. Freed now.

@Topic

Another interesting one! Keep it up

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by Nobody: 11:18am On May 22, 2013
NICE.I LOVE CREATIVITY LIKE THAT

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by kbdrim(m): 11:21am On May 22, 2013
Amazing thread again..Kudos!

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by Nobody: 11:22am On May 22, 2013
Interesting read.

gatts the juice.

Respect.

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by effisyman: 11:24am On May 22, 2013
Very creative.

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by dridowu: 11:28am On May 22, 2013
History can either POSITIVE and NEGATIVE .
What will YOU and I be known for when we are NO MORE ?
Welldone Madam Ladi

2 Likes

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by misterh(m): 11:30am On May 22, 2013
Quite informative. I knew she was the one at the back of #20 but did not know her history. Thank you, for shedding light on my ignorance. Thumbs up to you.

@ topic, from a rural and simple potter to a national figure! Nice one.

2 Likes

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by kakakibuy(m): 11:32am On May 22, 2013
@ op. Nice piece. Are you the same as Iyaniwura?

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by tomakint: 11:35am On May 22, 2013
Please Oluwaseun Osewa I, Tomakint, tearfully cry cry request that you make '' a Moderator with immediate alacrity or else what happened in 1936 will repeat itself here angry , you are beautiful, I love your creativity kiss

3 Likes

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by diarra94(m): 11:37am On May 22, 2013
We had lots of icons back then, now i dont actually know whats happening?

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by feelamong(m): 11:38am On May 22, 2013
Excellent Write up on a hero!!

These are the real people that should be honored with the highest honors of the land! Out of nothing but sheer hardwork and creativity she showed the world her abilities!

I was a member of LADI KWALI house in FGC Abuja during my Secondary sch days and will always remember her history!

I always regard her as a LEGEND!!

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by Lilimax(f): 11:39am On May 22, 2013
Abiyamọ:
DEATH & LEGACY
She died on the 12th of August 1984 at the age of 59 in Minna, shortly after Cardew’s death the previous year. Upon her death, many of her students of pottery took over and continued the art at the Abuja Pottery Training Center. Although married, she did not have any child making me disagree with the Yoruba notion that it is only your progeny that can sustain your legacy. [b]It is better not to have any kids at all than have some arungun and akotileta children who will just laze away and destroy all you have laboured for all your life. [/b]Ki Olohun showa lowo awon omo kpao! bi canned beer. That said, I’ve got nothing against procreating just that it does not necessarily guarantee your name being sustained in history. Afterall, many of the world’s greatest figures that we remember today actually had no children or the much-hyped sons. Yes, you guessed right! I was thinking of him too! LOL!
^^^ undecided undecided
Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by Nuzo1(m): 11:39am On May 22, 2013
I can bet that most our so-called leaders and politicians who spend millions booking for Ladi Kwali hall (Sheraton) don't even know where the name came from.

Not judging o. kiss

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by nairalad: 11:39am On May 22, 2013
I actually attended so many conferences at Sheraton and use to wonder who is Ladi Kwali that the hall was named after.

Thanks poster.

2 Likes

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by Nobody: 11:40am On May 22, 2013
I can't believe i just read that post til the end...

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by docjuli(m): 11:40am On May 22, 2013
Thanks Abiyamọ.

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by obi123: 11:40am On May 22, 2013
tomakint: Please Oluwaseun Osewa I, Tomakint, tearfully cry cry request that you make '' a Moderator with immediate alacrity or else what happened in 1936 will repeat itself here angry , you are beautiful, I love your creativity kiss

please what happened in 1936? lol!!

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by tomakint: 11:42am On May 22, 2013
obi123:

Good question, that was the year Rebellion Spreads Across Spain (precisely July 1936) that gave birth to the Castilles (Madrid) and Catalans (Barcelona) division that we have today. So if you like Seun tell him to grant my request NOW! angry

2 Likes

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by Lilimax(f): 11:42am On May 22, 2013
Abiyamọ:
DEATH & LEGACY
She died on the 12th of August 1984 at the age of 59 in Minna, shortly after Cardew’s death the previous year. Upon her death, many of her students of pottery took over and continued the art at the Abuja Pottery Training Center. Although married, she did not have any child making me disagree with the Yoruba notion that it is only your progeny that can sustain your legacy. It is better not to have any kids at all than have some arungun and akotileta children who will just laze away and destroy all you have laboured for all your life. Ki Olohun showa lowo awon omo kpao! bi canned beer. That said, I’ve got nothing against procreating just that it does not necessarily guarantee your name being sustained in history. Afterall, many of the world’s greatest figures that we remember today actually had no children or the much-hyped sons. Yes, you guessed right! I was thinking of him too! LOL!
^^^ undecided undecided
Despite being dead long time ago, Ladi Kwali's legacy is still seaking for her.
Well done ma'am smiley

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by Inik(m): 11:42am On May 22, 2013
I never knew she was the one on the naira note and i used to think 'ladi kwali hall" was named after a male politician.
are you an historian? I have learnt a lot about the history and people of Nigeria from your threads and i hope you are smiling to the bank with the traffic you pull to your site from nairaland and facebook wink Keep it up.

Afterall, many of the world’s greatest figures that we remember today actually had no children or the much-hyped sons. Yes, you guessed right! I was thinking of him too! LOL!
Pls spill the beans. Who is he?
Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by W3xy1(m): 11:44am On May 22, 2013
obi123:

help me ask o

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by Inik(m): 11:45am On May 22, 2013
diarra94: We had lots of icons back then, now i dont actually know whats happening?
We don't have icons anymore cos our societal values have been destroyed. Corruption has eaten deep into the fabric of our national life. Mediocrity is celebrated while merit and hardwork are despised.

2 Likes

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by basty: 11:45am On May 22, 2013
What a good piece

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by Ameboperoo(m): 11:47am On May 22, 2013
I used to hear her name but I never knew who she was nor what she did. I didn't know she's the figure on 20 naira note.
Now that I know, thanks to the op.

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by TableLeg(m): 11:54am On May 22, 2013
Nice piece ... This is the sort of stuff that should be gracing the front page.... Dumb moderators from other sections who are fond of sending trash and junk to the front page, take fu...cking NOTE!

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by Bontee: 12:01pm On May 22, 2013
This is wonderful

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by johnwizey: 12:03pm On May 22, 2013
She ft mod human being wit clay........jhoooor o
Ds OP na one funny man...........awon omo kpau bi canned beer..lol

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by Ajibel(m): 12:03pm On May 22, 2013
An iconic figure. I really dont know if pottery is still practiced? Nigerians creativity in art can be a selling point- we havent just explored it.
Not like some governors empowering youths to be farmers angry

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by Cutiemay(f): 12:04pm On May 22, 2013
Nicie write up, I never knew she was the potter at the back of the #20 note. My Fine Arts teacher also mentioned her and here i was thinking she was a man. Now i know more about her.

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter by Onegai(f): 12:08pm On May 22, 2013
Excellent post. I'm hoping to learn Lost Wax casting, which is indigenous to my area. Would love to go to Benin to learn it, but security is bad. I'm making stuff out of paper though.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ambode Confirms Justice Opeyemi As Chief Judge Of Lagos State - Pictures / Buhari Has Saved APC – Shehu Sani Reacts To Oyegun’s Tenure Elongation / Saraki should Resume His Duties and Stop Campaigning for PDP – Labour Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.