Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,045 members, 7,835,524 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

US Msc Or Contract Position In Oil And Gas - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / US Msc Or Contract Position In Oil And Gas (995 Views)

Going For Msc In USA Vs Staying Back For A Contract Position / US Msc Or Contract Position In Oil And Gas / Permanent Job In A Telecoms And Contract Position In An Oil Comapny (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Msc Or Contract Position In Oil And Gas by conyema12(m): 1:46pm On May 22, 2013
Hello guys,

I seriously need your advise in this house. I am currently working with a Local Oil and Gas servicing company as a field Engineer under a contract position with a monthly pay of about #60-180 ( variation depends on how often you go the field)

Now I am seriously considering going to USA for MSC in petroleum Geology to upgrade my skills and exposure.

am I making the right decision? because I will not like to be looking for job again after graduating... cos sometimes they will say that a bird at hand worths more than a thousand in the bush.

Also I am newly married, Is it safe to sacrifice these few years being away from my family at this tender stage.

Please I believe some of us have been in this same position, your invaluable advise will be highly appreciated.

Thank you
Re: US Msc Or Contract Position In Oil And Gas by kokosheen(m): 2:08pm On May 22, 2013
Why don't you do an online MSc. while keeping your job and raising your young family.... You used the most important link in opening this thread, use it. wink
Re: US Msc Or Contract Position In Oil And Gas by dpee4real(m): 7:50am On May 31, 2013
US bro! Nothing compares to excellence... The point is U have to endure some challenges for a while when U relocate. Trust me, i have been in your shoes before and its worth the risk.
Re: US Msc Or Contract Position In Oil And Gas by kokosheen(m): 12:27pm On May 31, 2013
dpee4real: US bro! Nothing compares to excellence... The point is U have to endure some challenges for a while when U relocate. Trust me, i have been in your shoes before and its worth the risk.

And what will he get in the US?

Building up his CV by staying in work and combining it with post-graduate study projects him as being able to multi-task and focused. His opportunity of working directly with a major O&G coy in Nigeria will come and this will serve him in good stead.

Do you know that base for an engineer in a O&G major in Nigeria is over $150k per annum? Even if he's a professor in the US, it will be hard getting that kind of pay. Infact, the only countries he'll get that kind of pay is Angola and Iraq.
Re: US Msc Or Contract Position In Oil And Gas by UGOCHUKWU3: 7:26am On Jun 01, 2013
why not consider getting certified in ur area of interest and also some professional training,,dats exactly what i ll do if am in ur shoes,nothing is more valuable than practical experience

(1) (Reply)

How To Earn Money Through Writing / Any Idea Of The Relevance Of Institute Of Strategic Management Training / A Nairalander Shares His Stock Of Hair Products (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.