Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate (9393 Views)

Where Are The 56 Million Registered Voters Results? / Oby Ezekwesili Reacts To Okonjo-Iweala's Response To Charles Soludo's Article / 56 Million Nigerians Are Illiterate-Ezekwesili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Coldblooded(m): 5:46pm On May 22, 2013
Only 56million undecided? Are they sure they counted well? Cos I know I can count up to 3million off hand in ma locality not to tok of d whole Naija.
And They need to include 2 of ma lecturers back in sch den cos dey r "half-literates"

1 Like

Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Freiburger(m): 5:46pm On May 22, 2013
J12: I thought this woman was intelligent.
How do you prove you are intelligent? by hiding the truth?
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by ZACHIE: 5:48pm On May 22, 2013
Another rubbish statement
Just that i cannot read and write English, then i am illiterate?
Not really.
130 million Nigerians use mobile phones, right?
Assuming of the mobile phones user, 10% are duplicated, 10% are unable to operate them what balance of illertae you will have will still exceed 100million.
To operate a mobile phone, you still require some form of literacy
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Sunnycliff(m): 5:50pm On May 22, 2013
The Statistics should be better broken down to the regions in Nigeria; and it would be thus, North 40 million illiterates, Southwest 5 million, South east 6 Million and the rest is South South! Its the North hat is bringing low Nigeria socio-economic and development indices! This is done without bias
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by supaeagles(m): 5:53pm On May 22, 2013
BIG SHAME on all our leaders, past and present. With all our oil wealth this should never have been. If indeed this statistic is accurate we are talking about 1/3 of our population being illiterate.
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by AZeD1(m): 5:55pm On May 22, 2013
With the comments you see everyday on nairaland, I think 56 million is a conservative figure
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 22, 2013
Someone should please define "illiteracy" cuz I'm puzzled.. embarassed... Ezekwesi olori agbon
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 6:00pm On May 22, 2013
Even the remaining literates aren't making any visible impact...

Why would a man/woman that claims he is literate build fences and toilets instead of building more classes and training better teachers?

This implies that the quality of education the 'literates' receive in Nigeria isn't serving any meaningful purpose...
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by daviide: 6:02pm On May 22, 2013
Funny enuf 25million of dem are working in our political sector as senate's nd ministers angry

2 Likes

Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by sexy74(m): 6:03pm On May 22, 2013
Madam due process, I know you are included in the 56million illiterate in Nigeria.
Everybody is an illiterate one way or the other depending on the aspect of life been discussed.
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Sealeddeal(m): 6:04pm On May 22, 2013
Alot of them must be from north.Meanwhile,56million out of 170million is not bad;its even better than i thought.
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by bobthebuilder99(m): 6:06pm On May 22, 2013
Many of them are right here on Nairaland. grin

1 Like

Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 6:08pm On May 22, 2013
18 million nigerians are mentally ill https://www.nairaland.com/1200941/18-million-nigerians-mentally-ill/ una own don finish grin
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by olatade(m): 6:09pm On May 22, 2013
Na one bye one she count every nigerian b 4 she no d literate and illitrate
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Freiburger(m): 6:09pm On May 22, 2013
18 million Nigerians are mentally ill, another 56 million are illiterate, what's left?
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by churific(m): 6:10pm On May 22, 2013
Only 56 million out of the 170+ millions?

Nonsense. It's more like the other way around. There's no way 67% of Nigerians are literate and we still behave like we're only years removed from the stone age.

To be fair, our literacy rate is actually 61.3% which is close to the 67% but I just don't see it. We need to start acting like it!

However, over two-thirds of the world's 793 million illiterate adults are found in only eight countries (Bangladesh, China, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Nigeria, and Pakistan.)

2 Likes

Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 6:18pm On May 22, 2013
Freiburger: 18 million Nigerians are mentally ill, another 56 million are illiterate, what's left?
na me remain, I run comot for the country before them face me grin

1 Like

Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 6:20pm On May 22, 2013
collynzo2: Looks like today is statistics day, just pull out figures from your anus and declare it as fact

Go on @collynzo2, hit us with your own stats.
You are clearly better informed than this former education minister, so why not go ahead and regale us with your own conjectural estimates.
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by onitshaigbo(m): 6:24pm On May 22, 2013
Why should we measure literacy by English? Is English our national language? Almost every Nigerian can speak, read, and write Pidgin well, and that's good enough for me.

1 Like

Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 6:28pm On May 22, 2013
I'm not surprised, not surprised at all..
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by malele(m): 6:32pm On May 22, 2013
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww i made front page atlast oooooooooooooooooooooooo grin
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by mrjingles(m): 6:33pm On May 22, 2013
If "illiterate" means inability to read and write in english then she MAY be right, but illiterate doesn't mean that does it? If a hausa man cannot read or write english but can do so in arabic or hausa then he is NOT illiterate, ditto other Nigerian languages. like they say "there are lies, damn lies and there are statistics"
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by dinksymaine(m): 6:34pm On May 22, 2013
Lmao...and the literate one' are unemployed,straight fu*ckin crap.This woman is just everything that's wrong with the world,just a waste of space.
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 22, 2013
Afrocatalyst: I personally will nt believe her statistics. A lot of Nigerians misunderstand the word 'education', thus anyone who does nt fit into their definition of 'education' is an illiterate. For God's sake there are two types of education,formal and informal and anyone who has any of them is never an illiterate. What is the doctor who drives to work without a vulcanizer to pump his tyres wen flat? No form of education is useless,infact,for a nation such as our dear Naija,formal education has proven to be a neccessary evil we must live wit. If nt,how do u explain a graduate studying a course he's nt passionate about just because he needs the papers? No wonder most end up stealing frm the companies they work for. There's a thread on our dear nairaland dat speaks more on this. I dnt have the link bt u can google 'how the lives of Nigerian youths are being wasted through education by patrickkkk nairaland'.

I think madam Ezekwesili should knw wen to speak facts and wen to do politics. Imho.

An illiterate is an illiterate is an illiterate, get it?
Whether you are educated in the formal sector or the informal sector - as you put it - if you cannot read and write in a language, then you are not literate in it.

My educated comrade, please be advised that it is indeed possible for someone to speak a language with fluency and yet be considered a functional illiterate all the same.

1 Like

Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 22, 2013
onitshaigbo: Why should we measure literacy by English? Is English our national language? Almost every Nigerian can speak, read, and write Pidgin well, and that's good enough for me.

Not true.
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 6:37pm On May 22, 2013
malele: wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww i made front page atlast oooooooooooooooooooooooo grin
it's truly 18million lipsrsealed
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 6:39pm On May 22, 2013
TheBookWorm: She may have a point. Just take a minute to read some of the comments from many of the posters on Nairaland. You would think they are illiterate as well.

Lol i thought the same thing immediately I saw Mr.BillionaireWannaBe 's reply.....
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 22, 2013
Billyonaire: This woman is becoming the Female Hell-Rufai. She has now turned her insults on Nigerians.

Shes talking about people like you.

1 Like

Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 22, 2013
eGuerrilla:

An illiterate is an illiterate is an illiterate, get it?
Whether you are educated in the formal sector or the informal sector - as you put it - if you cannot read and write in a language, then you are not literate in it.

My educated comrade, please be advised that it is indeed possible for someone to speak a language with fluency and yet be considered a functional illiterate all the same.

Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by malele(m): 6:41pm On May 22, 2013
sheyie2007: it's truly 18million lipsrsealed

Guy free me, i have posted up to 15 different topics none made front page till now
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 6:42pm On May 22, 2013
ZACHIE: Another rubbish statement
Just that i cannot read and write English, then i am illiterate?
Not really.
130 million Nigerians use mobile phones, right?
Assuming of the mobile phones user, 10% are duplicated, 10% are unable to operate them what balance of illertae you will have will still exceed 100million.
To operate a mobile phone, you still require some form of literacy

Since when did 130 million phones equate to 130 million users? angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking News- Biafran Flags Now In Lagos (video) / President Buhari Pledges Nigeria's Support For South Sudan / Ifedayo Abegunde Mobilises APC Members For Akeredolu's Reelection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.