Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT (1695 Views)

Biased Reporting Of The Senate Presidency Election By Olukayode Thomas / Alhaji Kasimu Adamu, Buhari's Teacher By AIT Lara Wise / In Defence Of Buhari - Re:documentary By AIT NTA On Buhari's Past (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by Starlett: 8:39pm On May 23, 2013
Maybe it's just me wondering, Peeps, but I can't help noticing that AIT seemed to struggle with reporting the barest facts and updates about Late Prof Chinua Achebe's funeral these past 3 days.Yesterday, I watched the 8pm news hour and not a single item on it. Today, not minding that it was the grand finale and had at least 2 serving African Presidents in attendance, the event was given less than a minute coverage, with no footage of comments or interviews by any of the attendees or dignitaries, just silent pictures and the voice over by the AIT newscaster. Yet this is an event of international mention, being given prime coverage even by 1st class world media such as BBC.

What could be responsible for this? Unfortunately am "locked" away somewhere in a remote location close to Lagos where the only local station available on satelite TV is AIT!

N'Landers, am counting on you guys to confirm to us if it will be the same with NTA by 9pm and Channels TV at 10 pm tonight!
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by Afam4eva(m): 8:52pm On May 23, 2013
I don't know about AIT but it was beemed live by NTA.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by Starlett: 8:54pm On May 23, 2013
Although I didn't watch TV during the event, but I'd be surprised if it was covered live by AIT. However, their showing the silent footage at their news hour this evening indicates that they had a camera man there at least.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by Afam4eva(m): 9:00pm On May 23, 2013
Starlett: Although I didn't watch TV during the event, but I'd be surprised if it was covered live by AIT. However, their showing the silent footage at their news hour this evening indicates that they had a camera man there at least.
AIT as a station are not interested in covering events in the east. I can't remember when last they covered a news item in the news with videos to show for it.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by malc619(m): 9:16pm On May 23, 2013
How does airing his funeral on AIT contribute to the well being of their viewers??

Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by ekoileee: 9:44pm On May 23, 2013
Obviously because it's of no consequnce or value to their audience and core market. It's a private entity and of course under no obligation to show anything beyond their desired program schedule.

Stick to NTA for such events and fanfair...

1 Like

Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by solid3(m): 10:20pm On May 23, 2013
OP, how mush did u pay AIT to cover d event?

Brb.

4 Likes

Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by ekoileee: 11:20pm On May 23, 2013
1MCN:

You're welcome, sir.

Thank you very much sir..
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by IGBOSON1: 11:35pm On May 23, 2013
Afam4eva:
AIT as a station are not interested in covering events in the east. I can't remember when last they covered a news item in the news with videos to show for it.

^^^I've noticed that as well, though it's not as bad as it seems. The South East as well as North East/West get the least coverage from the channel. During the 11 am news from Abuja, they take contributions from their Lagos, Port Harcourt, Yenagoa and Benin stations (3 from the South South shocked), and bypass Enugu; though they may have a token news story on Anambra state from their Benin studio,. but that's as far as it goes.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by Afam4eva(m): 11:49pm On May 23, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^I've noticed that as well, though it's not as bad as it seems. The South East as well as North East/West get the least coverage from the channel. During the 11 am news from Abuja, they take contributions from their Lagos, Port Harcourt, Yenagoa and Benin stations (3 from the South South shocked), and bypass Enugu; though they may have a token news story on Anambra state from their Benin studio,. but that's as far as it goes.
Na so we see am oo. I'm missing MBI badly. AIT even gets news from the thickest parts of the north but not the SE. I don't know why Igbo business men don't have interest in setting up an electronic media outfit. One of my dreams is to setup a TV station that will beam from the south east.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by Nobody: 11:54pm On May 23, 2013
AIT's coverage is always based on the politician that pays higher. Their chairman still celebrate ibori and igbinedion up till today. T.A Orji is also a saint on AIT which tells you that the station is a sold off tools used by corrupt people to deceive gullible persons
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by tpia5: 11:55pm On May 23, 2013
Maybe they dont like him.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by Afam4eva(m): 11:57pm On May 23, 2013
chidindufrank: AIT's coverage is always based on the politician that pays higher. Their chairman still celebrate ibori and igbinedion up till today. T.A Orji is also a saint on AIT which tells you that the station is a sold off tools used by corrupt people to deceive gullible persons
You're spot on. AIT is a political TV station. They can risk their lives just to cover a political party congress.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by fkaz(m): 12:19am On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:

AIT is a private media outfit, they are out to make profit. Despite all the planning of the south east governors, they failed to make proper arrangement for the funeral interms of coverage, put the blame to them.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by madamoringo(f): 1:16am On May 24, 2013
If any of the talkers here want coverage, go and pay for advertisement time! A private outfit has no obligation to cover a private event that is of no consequence to them, their bottomline or the majority of Nigerians!

3 Likes

Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by ACM10: 3:00am On May 24, 2013
AIT foray in the east ended in a disaster. Raypower has closed down due to stiff competition from Dream FM and Solid FM, not so sure if AIT is still broadcasting from the east. Therefore their loss of interest in eastern affair is understandable.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by dayokanu(m): 3:51am On May 24, 2013
Private companies are strictly for profit and if anyone likes Achebe that much Let him buy airtime to display his carcass for the world to see

I guess no one likes him enough to put their money towards airtime

7 Likes

Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by Nobody: 6:54am On May 24, 2013
if tvc could beam his burial proceedings from ogidi. I wonder why AIT shouldn't. No wonder their shares crumbled like packs of cards. I've since sold mine and cut my losses.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by Temismith(f): 7:53am On May 24, 2013
Abegi! Will d news bring him back to life? Let dis man rest in peace joor. Enof is already bin sed abt him.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by Maxymilliano(m): 8:40am On May 24, 2013
Peter Obi will be in the best position to provide appropriate response as the host governor but if you care to know, DAAR Communication staffs are currently groaning under non payment of salary for upward of 6 months ...

Therein lies the answer to your question, go figure.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by launique: 12:32pm On May 24, 2013
dayokanu: Private companies are strictly for profit and if anyone likes Achebe that much Let him buy airtime to display his carcass for the world to see

you can say all you want but you cannot attain the heights this great man attained. No yoruba man has ever done that and none of them would ever do that with this kind of attitude. Chinua Achebe, the father of modern African literature is the greatest, most popular and most respected Nigerian ever.

1 Like

Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by Nobody: 12:47pm On May 24, 2013
What could be responsible for this? Unfortunately am "locked" away somewhere in a remote location close to Lagos where the only local station available on satelite TV is AIT!

Which satellite station are you tuned to that have ONLY AIT as the local station on its bouquet ? This lie alone proved that you are not sincere and only out to ridicule the tv station in question.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by abes(m): 12:59pm On May 24, 2013
la_unique: you can say all you want but you cannot attain the heights this great man attained. No yoruba man has ever done that and none of them would ever do that with this kind of attitude. Chinua Achebe, the father of modern African literature is the greatest, most popular and most respected Nigerian ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=388yJkA71zE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXR5sipVpJw
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by DerideGull(m): 1:07pm On May 24, 2013
It annoys me when few deluded Nigerians try very hard to pass as detribalized zombies. Everything in Nigeria is tribally skewed including news coverage.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by Starlett: 1:10pm On May 24, 2013
ilugunboy:

Which satellite station are you tuned to that have ONLY AIT as the local station on its bouquet ? This lie alone proved that you are not sincere and only out to ridicule the tv station in question.

Ilugun, FYI, am in a village somewhere in Ogun State for official assignment. I'm lodged in a guest house, and as is typical of many hotels in Naija, in my room there is a TV with a selection of DSTV channels to watch (already determined by the Guest House mgt.) Of these channels, most show only films. AIT is in fact the only news channel available - no CNN, Channels, or even NTA. Does that make my story clearer now? I thought you were one of the more respected commentators on NL. Why then would you call someone a liar?
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 24, 2013
Starlett:

Ilugun, FYI, am in a village somewhere in Ogun State for official assignment. I'm lodged in a guest house, and as is typical of many hotels in Naija, in my room there is a TV with a selection of DSTV channels to watch (already determined by the Guest House mgt.) Of these channels, most show only films. AIT is in fact the only news channel available - no CNN, Channels, or even NTA. Does that make my story clearer now? I thought you were one of the more respected commentators on NL. Why then would you call someone a liar?

Am sorry if my tone offended you...I was only wondering which service provider in Naija have just AIT on it local tv stations bouquet.

My sincere apology

1 Like

Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 24, 2013
dayokanu: Private companies are strictly for profit and if anyone likes Achebe that much Let him buy airtime to display his carcass for the world to see

Interesting! did you also know that Tinubu 's TVC showed the live event of Achebe 's burial? It was not only NTA that showed it live. If AIT didn't show it, that's their fuccking business! Achebe has been buried so whether AIT did show it or not, his memories can never be forgotten.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by ultimateballer: 4:47pm On May 24, 2013
who watches AIT? The chairman is babagida's boy, their picture quality, presenters and programming are poor. STV, Rhythm, HotFM and DreamFM own the east.
Re: Surprising Under-reporting Of Achebe Obsequies By AIT by Starlett: 9:25pm On May 24, 2013
ilugunboy:

Am sorry if my tone offended you...I was only wondering which service provider in Naija have just AIT on it local tv stations bouquet.

My sincere apology

No wahala.
Apology accepted in fullest! grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan Appoints Onyeka Onwenu Executive Director, NCWD / Chris Ngige Murder Case / My Advice To Gej Now That The Rebel Governors Are Gone To Apc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.