Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,597 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

How Stigmatisation Promotes Baby Factories - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Stigmatisation Promotes Baby Factories (5980 Views)

The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians / The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians / Baby Factories & Miracle Babies -time To Start Probing Testimonies In Churches! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Stigmatisation Promotes Baby Factories by touchmeder: 7:56pm On May 28, 2013
I dont mean to be funny but most news report i have seen about young girls being housed to give their baby are usually found in the East. The old woman making herbs for women seeking fruit of the womb are mostly found in Port Harcourt.
Re: How Stigmatisation Promotes Baby Factories by Nobody: 8:53pm On May 28, 2013
It is love of money. Ibo can do any horrible for money. Stigma may be part of it.
Re: How Stigmatisation Promotes Baby Factories by Nobody: 9:51pm On May 28, 2013
Laalamed: It is love of money. Ibo can do any horrible for money. Stigma may be part of it.
nna gi there!gringringrin
Re: How Stigmatisation Promotes Baby Factories by Dipwater(m): 10:13pm On May 28, 2013
MARK-REN:
I come for the southeast & I would like to correct some of his insinuations:

1 There is no tribe in this country that has fully dealt with the issues & stigma surrounding the "I want a male child" or childless syndrome. It is therefore wrong to therefore insinuate and generalize that this is the reason behind baby factories in the south east.

2 There is no part of the country where we do not have baby factories. The only difference in the south east is the huge financial inducements that have pushed the illicit trade to new heights. I live in the southwest and the media is always awash with “old” women who claim to have delivered children after protected labour. We have heard of cases where women who go to hospital to deliver are told that their children died and these children are then sold to other people. We also have common cases where 2 or in some cased 3 different women lay claim to a child. The fact that the latest cases in the media is in the south east does not make it only prevalent there. Followers of NTA Newsline for the past 20 years will understand what I am saying. We also hear of churches whose “special calling” is to address couples issue of
childlessness here in the south west. Has anybody bothered to investigate these claims??

3. In the southwest where I live we all see cases of abandoned children on a regular basis in refuse dumps, drainages etc, which is a rare occurrence in the south east whose tradition you crucified. With all his explanations about how it is acceptable for a lady to have children out of wedlock, how does he then explain this continued practice?

4. There is no tribe in Nigeria that encourages premarital sex especially, where it leads to pregnancy before marriage. Likewise there is no society in Nigeria that has fully dealt with the stigma meted out to pregnancies out of wedlock. His assertion of the practices in the south west where he lives only tells half the story. Every family that values its reputation no matter where they come from. It is common in all traditions for the families of pregnant single and/or school girls/women to be shielded for the public and sent on “exile” until after childbirth when they return. This does not mean their education stops in most cases , but is done to protect themselves & their children for the “societal” stigma associated with it.
I would like go on and on about his post but it is futile as the writer in my opinion demonstrated a lack of understanding of the issues at hand. It is wrong to compare different traditions and use that as a yardstick for the ills he pointed to. If we start to air all the so called “dirty laundry” of different traditions/tribe we will never move forward.
The problem here is simple. People want children, I expect that we start to address the issue of removing the stigma and roadblocks associated with adoption and put in place a process that will make it legal, open & regulated. That way the issue of baby theft, abandonment & factories (his article) will be holistically addressed, instead of this senseless attack on the tradition of the Ibos.

My 2 cents………………………….

the writer is correct.
Re: How Stigmatisation Promotes Baby Factories by Nobody: 12:11am On May 29, 2013
Truth is bitter.. D writer is onpoint
Re: How Stigmatisation Promotes Baby Factories by alvin000(m): 5:17am On May 29, 2013
I am really amazed with such kind of backwardness to slavery era.
But am sure that it is not only Igbo tribe have this kind of stigmatized, its almost all over in Nigeria.
The only solution to it is Federal Govt should make a law that who so ever impregnate a girl must marry her and parent should minimize on how they give birth to a numerous children. Atleast not more than 4.
Re: How Stigmatisation Promotes Baby Factories by shuddyy: 12:28pm On May 29, 2013
[b][/b]
abdulkayus:

my guy, u lied. U can never found baby factory in d north. Dey dont even knw abt dat.
And also ur assertion dat no tribe encourage pre marital sex is false. In d south west, dey believe in pregnancy b4 marriage and even encourage it. Dat one is rare in south east sha. Bt in d north, dey abhor dat alot. Mind u, am a Yoruba guy, its in south west, u will c where a father will said he will nt accept a bride until she is pregnant for his son. WTF. Jus imagine dat. D rate of preg out of wedlocj in too much in south west cos it has been socially accepted, bt its still been look down upon in d south east and north. In SW, hardly, u will enter any house or compound witout seeing a bastard. Its jus too annoyin cos am frm SW. And d issue of cheatin married men and women in SW is anoda topic reserved for anoda day.

Liar!!! You definitely not from the SW, rather you are likely a Gambari man from Ilorin living in the hausa north. I heard there are schools for the almajiris now, so GTHO and go learn how to write in english language!
Re: How Stigmatisation Promotes Baby Factories by connkg(m): 12:49pm On May 29, 2013
It does appear that there was an earlier topic, which was poorly admitted. It was reviewed to the current original post, making some comments irrelevant or poorly construed.
Mod, that action deliberately misaligned the thread, derailing it and inserting tribalism.
Re: How Stigmatisation Promotes Baby Factories by initiate: 3:18pm On May 29, 2013
The original post was a message to stop stigmatisation of girls who got pregnant out of wedlock. The original topic is that we shd stop this stigmatisation.

The reason is this, as quoted from the Punch Article "The sad truth is that most teenagers get pregnant because of naivety rather than promiscuity. The girls who are really sexually hyper-active never get pregnant! And even when they do, such pregnancies are terminated in a matter of weeks before anyone can notice."

We should rather educate our young girls to make them more productive for themselves and the society at large.

The nairaland ppl actually changed the topic and the whole direction of the message, which is wrong and unethical. Can we say MOD promotes triabalism? Respect yourself o
Re: How Stigmatisation Promotes Baby Factories by MARKREN: 9:46am On May 30, 2013
I read the original write-up too in the punch and I will boldly say it was s directed & senseless attack on the Ibo tradition. The writer obviously lacked any inner understanding his own tradition vis a vis those of the SW where he currently resides and uses as a model for "acceptance". Stigmatization is everywhere and no tribe has fully dealt with it...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Importance Of Having A Car Tracker In You Vehicle / My Wife Just Put To Bed / SHOCKING DNA TEST RESULTS ENCOURAGED BY COVID19 LOCK-DOWN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.