Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God (3397 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Conditions That Can Make Me Reconvert To Christianity And Belief In God / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 28, 2013
The matrix and belief in God.
The matrix is a film about humans fighting robots who now control the world. The robots have most humans in a coma-like state in capsules from which they (the robots) suck energy from. In short, the robots use unconscious humans as an energy source. The humans in this coma are fed a delusion that they are in the real word and living a normal life. The few humans who are not in the hands of the robots are in an undergorund city called Zion.

These few humans in Zion can enter this false "real world" that the robots feed the capsuled humans in a state of coma. The humans in Zion know that the "real world" is fake but the humans in a coma believe that it is real. Only a few humans in the state of a coma come to realise that they are in a fake world. Even at that, some of the capsuled humans in a coma that realise that they are in a fake world still prefer to live in a delusion because they cant handle the reality.

========================================================
There are two ways to relate this to a belief in God;

1) The matrix movie asks very deep philosophical questions-

"how do you know that you are in the real world?"

"how are you sure that you are not just a brain in some lab forced to simulate reality?"

"how are you sure that you truly exist?"

These questions are problematic for theism or a belief in god because it is not possible to know for sure that you arent a cyborg or organic matter in some lab that is programmed to simulate this reality that we call life. If it is possible that everything in this world is a delusion, then it is possible that God is a delusion. If there is no certainty about living in this world then one can not be certain that there is a God.

Seriously, how do you go about proving that this reality is not just an illusion and we are all lab rats in the lab of aliens or robots or robot aliens? That is the beauty of the matrix- one can not step outside his or her mind to assess reality. We are imprisoned in our minds and if someone or something programmed our minds before we were conscious, there is hardly any way we would know that we are just a programmed simulation. There is no certainty and therefore no way one can be certain that there is a god.

Now people can argue that it was God who programmed this illusion of reality but then, the matrix highlights another problem with God;
-a physical process must always come from another physical process. Humans created robots and robots created the simulation. life comes from life. To say that we came from a supernatural being is contrary to commonsense, logic and evidence. This is because life comes from life as we have constantly observed here on earth. A programmer or creator will always share certain limitations and similarities with his creations. God must have some physical properties or limitations if he created physical beings. Unfortuantely, most religious gods do not have a shred of physicality to them.

2) Just like most deluded people in a coma in the matrix, most people suffer from this God delusion. Just like there are a few humans who live in Zion outside the delusion created by robots, there are a few atheists/agnostics who live outside the God delusion.

Just like there are some people who learned that they are in a computer simulation but dont want to face reality that they are in a simulation, there are some people who know that there is no valid reason to believe that there is a god but they dont want to accept the reality.
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 28, 2013
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by ijawkid(m): 6:14pm On May 28, 2013
LB u knw say your head no correct??.....gringrin
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 6:18pm On May 28, 2013
ijawkid: LB u knw say your head no correct??.....gringrin

Stop derailing because you dont understand.........
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Mranony: 6:30pm On May 28, 2013
@Logicboy, you might be interested in looking up the philosopher Nick Bostrom and The Simulation Hypothesis

By the way, it is really amusing to me how you could draw the parallels you drew in your argument.
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 6:33pm On May 28, 2013
Mr anony: @Logicboy, you might be interested in looking up the philosopher Nick Bostrom and The Simulation Hypothesis

Will do that! I will check it out because I know that you have some good philosophy stuff.

Anyway, please comment on your thoughts about the op
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Mranony: 6:36pm On May 28, 2013
Logicboy03:
Will do that! I will check it out because I know that you have some good philosophy stuff.

Anyway, please comment on your thoughts about the op
There's nothing really to comment other than the Matrix as an analogy actually makes a better case for theism than it does for atheism. I find it funny you would try to draw the parallels you drew.

1 Like

Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 28, 2013
Mr anony:
There's nothing really to comment other than the Matrix as an analogy actually makes a better case for theism than it does for atheism. I find it funny you would try to draw the parallels you drew.

That is what this thread is for....explain why the matrix philosophy is more for theism.....why?
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 28, 2013
o boy, dis is 2 far-fetched.
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Mranony: 6:52pm On May 28, 2013
Logicboy03:
That is what this thread is for....explain why the matrix philosophy is more for theism.....why?
Oh that's very simple.

Let's assume that you and I were living in the matrix and you were trying to convince me that this universe is not all there is and there is a place outside the universe called Zion where our true selves live. What if you told me of robots that control our minds yet we cannot see or touch them. Should I believe you? Or would I call you deluded?

1 Like

Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 6:58pm On May 28, 2013
Mr anony:
Oh that's very simple.

Let's assume that you and I were living in the matrix and you were trying to convince me that this universe is not all there is and there is a place outside the universe called Zion where our true selves live. What if you told me of robots that control our minds yet we cannot see or touch them. Should I believe you? Or would I call you deluded?

Fail grin grin grin

The robots in the matrix were very physical. Neo was shown physical proof. Try again

However, this is a hypothetical situation. I do not believe that we are controlled by robots. The point is that we can not disprove that we are humans in capsules that are fed delusions by robots to believe that we are in the real world
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 6:59pm On May 28, 2013
olire: o boy, dis is 2 far-fetched.

Calm down.....it is a hypothetical situation. This is not scientology babble
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 7:06pm On May 28, 2013
funny and interesting post
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 7:10pm On May 28, 2013
Shawnmayor: funny and interesting post

Is that all?
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 7:38pm On May 28, 2013
Logicboy03:
However, this is a hypothetical situation. I do not believe that we are controlled by robots. The point is that we can not disprove that we are humans in capsules that are fed delusions by robots to believe that we are in the real world
Lb, I don't understand.
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 7:45pm On May 28, 2013
Reyginus: Lb, I don't understand.

angry You again?

What is hard there?

-There is no way to be certain that you are not living in a delusion and your real body is in a machine capsule feeding you the delusions straight into you brain.....

-There is no certainty in reality and so how can one have a belief in god with 100% certainty?
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Mranony: 7:57pm On May 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

Fail grin grin grin

The robots in the matrix were very physical. Neo was shown physical proof. Try again

Lol, oh well, some things never change. I won't drag a long argument with you. My point has been made here. Check out Nick Bostrom when you have time.
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 7:59pm On May 28, 2013
Mr anony:
Lol, oh well, some things never change. I won't drag a long argument with you. My point has been made here. Check out Nick Bostrom when you have time.

Have checked it out.

By the way, I know you dont have any chance to spin any counterarguments here
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 8:00pm On May 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

angry You again?

What is hard there?

-There is no way to be certain that you are not living in a delusion and your real body is in a machine capsule feeding you the delusions straight into you brain.....

-There is no certainty in reality and so how can one have a belief in god with 100% certainty?
I don't think I get the point you're trying to pass across. If there is no way to be certain, so what?
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 8:11pm On May 28, 2013
Reyginus: I don't think I get the point you're trying to pass across. If there is no way to be certain, so what?

I have tried....some brain juice is needed for you
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 8:19pm On May 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

I have tried....some brain juice is needed for you
What brand of brain juice do you recommend?
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 8:21pm On May 28, 2013
Reyginus: What brand of brain juice do you recommend?

ganja cool
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by ijawkid(m): 8:24pm On May 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

angry You again?

What is hard there?

Thank God its a movie...grin......

As you can see there is certainty in reality and so God exists.....just take this thread to the dust bin.....grin.....
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 8:32pm On May 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

ganja cool
Their is none like.
But on a serious note, what exactly are you about? Let's get serious.

1 Like

Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Mranony: 8:53pm On May 28, 2013
Logicboy03: Have checked it out.

By the way, I know you dont have any chance to spin any counterarguments here
Lol nah, I just can't be bothered
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Danyell(m): 9:18pm On May 28, 2013
If this world is a delusion, then you can take solace in the fact that at death, you become free from this delusion. Just try to live a good life while you are stuck in this delusion.
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by UyiIredia(m): 12:59am On May 29, 2013
logicboy once again kills logic. A null hypothesis (such as the one you trumpet) is assumed proven (until disproven) due to inference from demonstrated facts. Your inference is based on fictional work (The Matrix trilogy). Stop killing logic.

1 Like

Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 4:21am On May 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia: logicboy once again kills logic. A null hypothesis (such as the one you trumpet) is assumed proven (until disproven) due to inference from demonstrated facts. Your inference is based on fictional work (The Matrix trilogy). Stop killing logic.

In trying to sound smart, you have actually made the most foolish comment on this thread. Stop throwing words and terminology that you dont understand to sound smart.

The matrix only helps to explain a point;

YOU CAN NOT VERIFY REALITY OUTSIDE YOUR MIND. YOUR PERCEPTION OF REALITY IS BASED ON YOUR MIND.

2 Likes

Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by UyiIredia(m): 5:52am On May 29, 2013
See the meathead ! State how it is foolish.

Logicboy03:

In trying to sound smart, you have actually made the most foolish comment on this thread. Stop throwing words and terminology that you dont understand to sound smart.

The matrix only helps to explain a point;

YOU CAN NOT VERIFY REALITY OUTSIDE YOUR MIND. YOUR PERCEPTION OF REALITY IS BASED ON YOUR MIND.

The perception of reality is indeed based on the mind. You claim that we cannot disprove we are in a simulated reality. What are the FACTS which support that ?
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 5:56am On May 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia: See the meathead ! State how it is foolish.

The perception of reality is indeed based on the mind. You claim that we cannot disprove we are in a simulated reality. What are the FACTS which support that ?

If you are still asking this question by now, you are not intelligent enough to handle the discourse
Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by UyiIredia(m): 6:03am On May 29, 2013
Even in the film Neo witnessed anomalies which must have convinced him of Morpheus' claims. He saw trinity leap an otherwise impossible distance, he saw her disappear before atrailer smashed the booth she was in to go back to the real world, the Smiths came after him and 'miraculously' took away his speech ability then inserted a tracer which was deactivated. Facts within the movie to convince Neo. This olodo called logicfoolishboy is now using fiction to try and convince us we are in a matrix.

foolishboy, did you hear me ? Olodo !

Did Morpheus use film to make an analogy to Neo in the Matrix or didn't Neo see actual miracles like the ones I've mentioned not to talk of the matrix simulations of the humans.

Get a life dude !

1 Like

Re: Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God by Nobody: 6:41am On May 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Even in the film Neo witnessed anomalies which must have convinced him of Morpheus' claims. He saw trinity leap an otherwise impossible distance, he saw her disappear before atrailer smashed the booth she was in to go back to the real world, the Smiths came after him and 'miraculously' took away his speech ability then inserted a tracer which was deactivated. Facts within the movie to convince Neo. This olodo called logicfoolishboy is now using fiction to try and convince us we are in a matrix.

foolishboy, did you hear me ? Olodo !

Did Morpheus use film to make an analogy to Neo in the Matrix or didn't Neo see actual miracles like the ones I've mentioned not to talk of the matrix simulations of the humans.

Get a life dude !

Is this guy foolish or what? grin grin

Neo couldnt explain the anomalies himself. Just as we humans cant explain de ja vu. Neo would never have left the simulated world on his own

You can not perceive reality outside your mind. So when you see something you cant explain, you are going to use the little you know to explain it........

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rev Fr Donatus Ogun Is New Bishop Of Uromi Diocese / Ishmael And Isaac, The Great Cover-up / White People Hardly Go To Church Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.