Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,543 members, 7,854,337 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 03:00 PM

Naira-Awolowo's Best Kept Secret - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira-Awolowo's Best Kept Secret (2055 Views)

Dolapo Osinbajo At Segun Awolowo's 25th Wedding Anniversary (Photos) / Tony Momoh Reveals Best Kept Secret / Buhari’s Best-kept Secret (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira-Awolowo's Best Kept Secret by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 29, 2013
Ajasnoop: [/b]

Awolowo resigned from the Government in [b]mid-1970
so couldn't have introduced the Naira in 1973
My friend you are disappointing me na, listen to yourself and read what you wrote. haba! i expected better from a "sophisticated and educated Awoist" grin
Re: Naira-Awolowo's Best Kept Secret by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 29, 2013
Ajasnoop: [/b]

Awolowo resigned from the Government in [b]mid-1970
so couldn't have introduced the Naira in 1973
Kai you fall my hand grin
Re: Naira-Awolowo's Best Kept Secret by onyfrank: 4:16pm On May 29, 2013
K= kill.
O= ojukwu.
B=before.
O= others.
@op hope i got it?
I jst recollected reciting sumtyn lyk dis in 80s.
Re: Naira-Awolowo's Best Kept Secret by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 29, 2013
These are some comments on a similar topic on this forum sometimes ago.
Re: Naira And Kobo by nagoma ( m ): 12:44pm On Jun 28 , 2011
In 1972 the government of Nigeria under General Yakubu Gowon decided to change the rule of driving to conform to the 4 french speaking countries surrounding Nigeria . theseare Benin Republic, Niger, Chad, and the Cameron. All of them drove on the right lane with the steering placed on the left side of the vehiclewhile Nigeria in the British tradition and heritage drove on the left and had vehicle steering on the right side . This changee to conform was effected in 1972 with massive enlightment campaigns across the country.
This was followed by the change of currency units from Pounds, Shilling and Pence (£,s,d) to the present concept N and k). This was informed by the need for indeginization and decimalization . You will rememberthat 12 pence make one shilling . There was a request in the News papers and available media for people to contribute in the debate for denominations and names reflecting the country's culture etc . The lowest denomintion was given the name[b] kobo [/b] as many N[i]igerian communities had that name or similar for the old penny. The Yoruba , Hausa and I think Igbo all refered to the penny as kobo or kwabo (hausa). A contending name for kobo was " beni " as this was whatthe penny was called in most coastal regions but the kobo was selected. The Naira was coined by many submissions in the |News papers to reflect Nigeria's name (River Niger, Negro etc). A contending name for Naira was Nira which was suggestedby many but then dropped because itsounded like " Lira"[ and could cause confusion with the Italian currency.)
i]" On 31st March, 1971, the then Head of State announced that Nigeriawould change to decimal currency asfrom 1st January, 1973.The major currency unit would be called Naira which would be equivalent to ten shillings: the minor unit would be called kobo; 100 of which would make one Naira. The decision to change to decimal currency followedthe [/i] recommendations of the Decimal Currency Committee set up in 1962 which submitted its report in 1964.
The change that took place in January, 1973 was a major one and this involved both currency notes andcoins. The major unit of currency which used to be £1 ceased to exist and the one Naira which was equivalent to 10/- become the major unit:
On 11th February"[
Re: Naira And Kobo by bamosagie ( m ): 12:14pm On Jun 28 , 2011
Are you guys aware that Naira and Kobo were introduced after the Nigerian Civil war?
Now see their meanings,
NAIRA = Nigerian Army Is Ready Again
KOBO = Kill Ojukwu Before Others.
right on the mark.
Re: Naira And Kobo by Ucheoman : 11:16am On Jun 28 , 2011
I think Naira was a secret agreementreached by nigerian leaders in 1973 after the civil war to stop the igbos from ruling nigeria .
Naira - never allow igbos rule again
Re: Naira And Kobo by ndu_chucks : 2:07pm On Jun 26 , 2011
Abu-Maryam:
kindly tell me which language is that, how did the country reach to name them as our national currency
Ny theory: kobo was derived from the yoruba term for penny and hausaterm for penny. Naira = Nai from Nigeria, like nai[/b]ja; The 'ra' in nai[b]ra from the yoruba word for buy (ra).
And this is according to: dictionary.com and American Heritage. Dictionary dictionary, "Naira" isan alteration of the word"Nigeria." "Kobo" may be a Yoruba word imitating the english word "copper" (as in a penny).
American Heritage Dictionary
nai·ra (nī'rə)
n. pl. naira
See Table at currency.
[Alteration of Nigeria.]
ko·bo (kô'bô')
n. pl. kobo
See Table at currency.
[Possibly Yoruba kọbọ, from English copper1, penny.]
I used to think about what possibly could be the meaning of "naira" and i've always thought it is an alteration of "nigeria" but i don't know the reason behind the "kobo"
Re: Naira-Awolowo's Best Kept Secret by FulaniBOII(m): 5:08pm On May 29, 2013
See me thinking I was coming to read something important. Come OP what's wrong with you?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fg Approves Recommendations To Merge Efcc And Icpc, Scraps Bpe, 219 Others / But What Is So Special About Mandela? / Photo : President Jonathan Riding On Charly Boy's Bike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.