Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,135 members, 7,829,062 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

What Is The Point Of Being A Nigerian? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Point Of Being A Nigerian? (720 Views)

Biafra:Nairalander Ipobdevil At The Point Of Death After Multiple Gun Shot-pic / What’s The Point Of A First Lady? - Tabia Princewill / What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Point Of Being A Nigerian? by playmode(m): 9:12am On May 29, 2013
What i am about to say will anger a lot of people but I have been pushed to this point of no return. Over the past four years I have been keeping on and off tabs on what is going in Nigeria and have been home once in that period.I have been optimistic about coming home in the near future having seen a couple of reports promoting Nigeria as a progressive country. I almost bought in to the hype until I decided to really pay attention and constantly keep tabs.

I don’t want to bore my audience with long stories so I will try to pick out my point straight away. Yesterday I watched the Video of Nigerian Governor’s Forum and for the first I got to see what our so called leaders are like when they think they are not on camera.

I know how corrupt and useless Nigerian politicians are but even I was stunned at the way these governor behaved like animals. I could not believe Nigerians voted for these men. I mean one would have to be clinically retarded to vote for any of the governors captured on the NGF election video.

I was really saddened by the video because it finally dawned on me how much of a mess we are in. How can these buffoons be able to run a house hold talk less of a state? Their behaviour on camera was devoid of any etiquette or decorum that one would expect from State Governors and their utterances betrayed their lack of intelligence as well as rational thought.How did these men even get a chance to be elected? If I did not know any better I would have taught I watching a video of apes in a zoo.

If these are our governors ,i shudder to think what our senators are like not to mention the president himself.Yet Nigerians elected this people,what does that say about the average Nigerian? I have read a lot of articles over the past four years about the political scene in Nigeria and I have digested a lot of unsettling information, this video though was the last straw. I am exhausted and don’t think I can take anymore of Nigeria. What even irks me more are the commentators on Nairaland who are defending jang even though the video clearly shows that Amaechi won.

No I am not an Ameachi supporter, infact I do not like the APC just as I do not like the PDP but this was an election and a clear winner was decided. If Nigerians on this forum can defend jang a man who in his own said “If you rig and you win,it mean GOD approves of it” then why am I still a Nigerian?
I have met a lot of people in my journeys abroad but I have never any group of people as deceitful and as corrupt as Nigerians. We are just wired to be deceitful ,dis honest, corrupt , non progressive and repulsive as a people and it is just depressing.
After reading all these comments on the NGF election video I sat down weighed down with questions: Why am I still a Nigerian? Why do I still care about Nigeria? I am nothing like these Nigerians and they will never change. Why do I still want to defend this nation of crooks? Should I not just renounce my citizenship and pledge full allegiance to another nation where the citizens have a moral compass.

I wish I could be proud of Nigeria but I am not. I wish I could love Nigerian but I am instead disgusted by them. We are beyond saving in this country. I had hoped that my children could one take their place in Nigeria but that dream is fading fast.

It is very hard to find honest,intellegent and patriotic Nigerians. I don’t believe such people make up to 5% of our population. I remember a conversion I had with a German man last year, he referred to Nigeria as a blemish on the face of earth and an embodiment of deceit. I was so angry that I told him off but today I look back at that conversation and find myself in agreement with him.

After all I have seen and read and after realizing that Nigerians are regressive as well as deceitful people, The questions I ask myself again are :

Do i want to be associated with a country where people can't seem to tell the truth even when there is video evidence that they have told a lie?

A country where liars defend their lies and open new secretariats with the support of the citizens?

A country where a sitting president support the loser of an election in stealing the mandate in full view of the nation and the world?

A country where the citizens have lost the ability to be normal ,civilized or rational?

Why am I still a Nigerian?

What is the point or benefit of being a Nigerian?

Sincerely Yours
A tired soon to be ex-Nigerian
Re: What Is The Point Of Being A Nigerian? by SlendyMEE(f): 10:38am On May 29, 2013
What have you done to improve this country? Those countries you seem to think are better than urs, have u really used an unbiased mind to view them and compare with Nigeria(while still being unbiased)? Those countries had to fight for what is right and ppl who were fed up led the fight. Nigeria isn't bad, it's the citizens that are "bad". Till my last breath, Nigerian I shall remain.

Signe: A Nigerian tired of hearing how the streets in other countries are paved with gold
Re: What Is The Point Of Being A Nigerian? by simplyme3(f): 2:55pm On May 29, 2013
who cares? you can adopt any country for all anyone cares!
Re: What Is The Point Of Being A Nigerian? by bloggernaija: 6:42pm On May 29, 2013
I know your anger.however, you need to experience it in real life. when next you ho to nigeria . Attend any politicsl gathering and you will be shocked.Look at the first 2 replies and you get the idea. nigeria is an example of a country where a test at igbobi mental hospital should be required in order to vote or be voted for.
One thing for sure. There are too many walking dead /mental patients walking the streets of the country .
Re: What Is The Point Of Being A Nigerian? by SlendyMEE(f): 9:27am On May 30, 2013
bloggernaija: I know your anger.however, you need to experience it in real life. when next you ho to nigeria . Attend any politicsl gathering and you will be shocked.Look at the first 2 replies and you get the idea. nigeria is an example of a country where a test at igbobi mental hospital should be required in order to vote or be voted for.
One thing for sure. There are too many walking dead /mental patients walking the streets of the country .
Don't just talk for the sake of talking. It is easy to sit in anoda man's country to criticize. Come home and work out a solution

(1) (Reply)

Rivers State Government Refused To Celebrate Democracy Day / Wike's Camp Suffers Setback / In A Sane Country, FFK, Wife And Daughter Should Be In Jail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.