Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,317 members, 7,839,519 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

Thought Provoking Democracy Day - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thought Provoking Democracy Day (438 Views)

FG Provoking Ndigbo Everyday – Ekweremadu / A Thought-provoking Statement From An Igbo Guy . Who Agrees With Him ? / Foreign Asks Thought Provoking Question On Biafra - See Tweet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Thought Provoking Democracy Day by deesquarediddy(m): 2:51pm On May 29, 2013
Its a normal day at work,i got my work piece fastened to the lathe's head-stock after locating my centre point,i moved the tail-stock against it to hold it firm.My cutting tool is already attached to the tool post,i switched the lathe machine on to begin my machining operation,sliding my carriage along the lathe bed.Did i tell you the machinning operation i am about carrying out? Oh! I want to step turn my workpiece to get the diameter of a square.
Suddenly,my co-worker asked what i was doing and i told him,he then laughed and laughed,so he made the follwing statements; "hahaha! Is it possible to get the diameter of a square? Its not,just as its not possible to dilute water,fishes under water will never get thirsty and just as we will never get/have it right in this country(Nigeria) "
His last statement got me weak,i realised he's lost hope in NIGERIA.So,i paused and reflected,i went deep in thought and i remembered that this country(Nigeria) is the only rich country where people live in poverty,we have aboundance and yet live in little.Its the only country where the leaders see themselves as superior to their followers who elected them into office,its the only country where trillions has been spent on infrastructural development and yet,very little is available to show for it(housing,power,food,water,road e.t.c).Its the only country where thousands of graduates are turned out yearly without any job available for them to do.
If one can get you asking the wrong question,should he/she still worry about the answers? So,i developed the idea of writting this piece on democracy day because ideas are more powerful than guns,government will not let the citizens hold guns,why should they let them have ideas and its better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.The mango tree of Nigeria has refused to bear mango fruits,rather it has been giving us lemons,so its a wake up call for us to stand up and make lemonade out of that lemons,sell the lemonade and use the money to buy an assault riffle,then see if the same mistake will be made again.
Vision without action is daydream and action without vision is a nightmare.This is a wake up call to all Nigerians,the time to act is now,lets take back our nation.They that can give up essential liberty to purchase little temporary safety,deserve neither liberty nor safety.I prefare liberty with danger than peace with slavery,knowing fully well that a slave is one who waits for someone else to free him.There can be no peace if there is no equal right and justice.
For the purpose of this piece,i'll identify three key areas that needs urgent reform/overhaul:
¤The people: we the people have our own share of the blame,we need a re-orientation,a change of our psyche. "u chop,i chop" "who knows who".You don't need to join the majority,when you find out that u're on the side of the majority,it is time to pause and reflect because sanity is not statistical.....being in a minority even a minority of one did not make you mad.If everybody thinks alike,then someone isn't thinking.It is also important we start acting now in order to stop these political jobbers from completely bastardising our country,its clear they are ready to mortgage our future.
¤Our Government: All government,including the worst on earth and the most tyrannical on earth are free government to that portion of people who voluntarily support them.The Nigeria government knows how to break one's leg, and hand the person a crutch,and then say,if it weren't for the government you wouldn't be able to walk.In Nigeria,we have machinery of government than necessary,too many parasites living on the labour of the industrious.We have to urgently reduce the importance of politics and return to governance,its just too bad that the short memories of Nigerian voters keeps those political jobbers in office.We are always afraid to take risks as individuals but the collective and worst risk all Nigerians take is allowing anybody to become president.
¤Religion: I've decided to add the issue of religion because it plays a major role in politics.Relgion is faith based and created to have control over the mind.In religion and politics,people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand,and as a multi-ethnic and multi-lingual nation,Nigeria has its own problem before the popular religions were imported to further complicate things,here is the result(religious rises,boko haram).Am not here to argue the best religion because the main aim of any argument should not be victory but progress.The main point here is,lets tolerate each other and support interfaith co-operation(in order to have peace).We are all created by one God/Allah/olodumare/chineke, who is the singular supernatural creator and the evidence of his existence is in us and our environment,its all we know about God,all religions are created by men.
The happiness of a Nation depends on the character of its people and not the form of its government. Character is moulded by psyche while psyche is rooted in values, ethics and philosophy. If Nigeria must progress, her citizens must retrace their roots in order to identify where the corrupt branches that are bearing evil fruits today stem from and treat/cut them off!

(1) (Reply)

Boston Bomber Makesfirst Phone Call To His Mother, Says' Everything Will Be Fine / Offshore Work / Former State Security Boss Calls For Support From Nigerians In Fightin Terrorism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.