Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,728 members, 7,816,995 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:29 PM

4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race (3371 Views)

4 Embarasing Mistakes That Led To Nokia Downfall / Tecno Is Losing The Smartphone War In Nigeria To Gionee / Tecno Is Winning The Smartphone War In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by vowiski(m): 4:51pm On May 29, 2013
Do Nokia need another Marissa Mayer? Alot of this kind of questions would have been asked in the headquarters of Nokia, but will one Marissa Mayer be enough to re-position a company that looks like a titanic without a captain? Perhaps, the answer to the latter might not come easily without first trying to decipher what went wrong.

Nokia spent millions of dollars in the late 1990s, they saw the future of mobile phones and were equally poised to dominating it for eternity. Unfortunately, we are only in 2013, far from eternity and Nokia seems to have taken 10-steps backwards with every decision taken to make an impart in the race for the smartphone crown which Apple and Samsung have got locked-down. (The unlock-key is probably 20,000 feet below the Atlantic Ocean).

The Mobile phone giant foresaw this day, it is unlikely to think that they didn't. Unluckily, the response by Nokia to the current technological trend has failed to take the company forward. These four costly mistakes by Nokia would prove to be reasons why Nokia hasn't made a dent in the world of smartphones.

4. Ignored The Market

In 1998, Nokia over threw Motorola as the World's biggest mobile phone vendor, from that moment, Nokia never looked-back and went on to retain that crown for another 14-years. Fast-forward to 2013 and the whole scenario has changed, Nokia no longer has that prestigious crown, it has been toppled by Samsung.

Nokia's inability to make custom phones for the U.S market didn't win itself many allies among the local carriers; this lead to a further decline in it's market share. While other companies made friends in the US, Nokia was too conformable with the pride of being the World's largest phone maker. It had loyal fans in Africa and other European countries and when these fans decided to jump camps, it spelt the beginning of doom for the multi-billion dollar company.

In the Smartphone market share, Nokia seems to be lost as Samsung, Apple have shown total dominance. Sony with it's recent restructuring which saw the acquisition of Ericsson have seen them in contention for a larger market share while HTC, LG and Blackberry also show decent improvement in market share. Sony's Xperia Z seems to be attracting alot of Android users and as such, it might be too early to declare Samsung the undisputed winner.

3. Ignored The Threat Of The iPhone
http://www.thatnaijablog.com/2013/05/nokia-s-huge-blunder-not-making-an-android-phone.html
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by seunlayi(m): 9:59pm On May 29, 2013
one man mistake is an opportunity for others.
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by Deblow: 2:19am On May 30, 2013
Don't mind Nokia. It used to be my favourite but like many other people who are phone freaks I decided to dump nokia some years back because of its arrogance and lack of vision. Nokia also lacks continuity and it will make a brand which as soon as it received public acceptance nokia will quickly rest the production of such a brand. Arrogance! Nokia phones are too expensive for their values as well. Imagine Nokia E90 which I bought in the year 2008 for N105, 000 having just about 128 MB RAM and less than 500MB internal storage! The phone is practically useless because u can't stream video successfully with it and what can u even do wt it? Compared to Samsung galaxy note 2 that I bought some months ago for N100k and having a 2GB RAM and 16GB internal storage! Nokia really needs to do a kind of self re-appraisal and chart a new way forward with a view to getting into the mainstream of phone manufacturing in this century. ...take a cue from Samsung and and other leading giants.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by 4peace(m): 6:18am On May 30, 2013
vowiski: Do Nokia need another Marissa Mayer? Alot of this kind of questions would have been asked in the headquarters of Nokia, but will one Marissa Mayer be enough to re-position a company that looks like a titanic without a captain? Perhaps, the answer to the latter might not come easily without first trying to decipher what went wrong.

Nokia spent millions of dollars in the late 1990s, they saw the future of mobile phones and were equally poised to dominating it for eternity. Unfortunately, we are only in 2013, far from eternity and Nokia seems to have taken 10-steps backwards with every decision taken to make an impart in the race for the smartphone crown which Apple and Samsung have got locked-down. (The unlock-key is probably 20,000 feet below the Atlantic Ocean).

The Mobile phone giant foresaw this day, it is unlikely to think that they didn't. Unluckily, the response by Nokia to the current technological trend has failed to take the company forward. These four costly mistakes by Nokia would prove to be reasons why Nokia hasn't made a dent in the world of smartphones.

4. Ignored The Market

In 1998, Nokia over threw Motorola as the World's biggest mobile phone vendor, from that moment, Nokia never looked-back and went on to retain that crown for another 14-years. Fast-forward to 2013 and the whole scenario has changed, Nokia no longer has that prestigious crown, it has been toppled by Samsung.

Nokia's inability to make custom phones for the U.S market didn't win itself many allies among the local carriers; this lead to a further decline in it's market share. While other companies made friends in the US, Nokia was too conformable with the pride of being the World's largest phone maker. It had loyal fans in Africa and other European countries and when these fans decided to jump camps, it spelt the beginning of doom for the multi-billion dollar company.

In the Smartphone market share, Nokia seems to be lost as Samsung, Apple have shown total dominance. Sony with it's recent restructuring which saw the acquisition of Ericsson have seen them in contention for a larger market share while HTC, LG and Blackberry also show decent improvement in market share. Sony's Xperia Z seems to be attracting alot of Android users and as such, it might be too early to declare Samsung the undisputed winner.

3. Ignored The Threat Of The iPhone
http://www.thatnaijablog.com/2013/05/nokia-s-huge-blunder-not-making-an-android-phone.html

No matter what Nokia will not. take android

1 Like

Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by 4peace(m): 6:22am On May 30, 2013
Deblow: Don't mind Nokia. It used to be my favourite but like many other people who are phone freaks I decided to dump nokia some years back because of its arrogance and lack of vision. Nokia also lacks continuity and it will make a brand which as soon as it received public acceptance nokia will quickly rest the production of such a brand. Arrogance! Nokia phones are too expensive for their values as well. Imagine Nokia E90 which I bought in the year 2008 for N105, 000 having just about 128 MB RAM and less than 500MB internal storage! The phone is practically useless because u can't stream video successfully with it and what can u even do wt it? Compared to Samsung galaxy note 2 that I bought some months ago for N100k and having a 2GB RAM and 16GB internal storage! Nokia really needs to do a kind of self re-appraisal and chart a new way forward with a view to getting into the mainstream of phone manufacturing in this century. ...take a cue from Samsung and and other leading giants.

I'm very sure this will said in few year to come
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by 4peace(m): 6:31am On May 30, 2013
There are stages in life
What goes up will surely come down.

I will never forget Nokia and Motorola for all their R&D which others are taping now.

Nokia Thanks

Motorola Thanks
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by Nobody: 7:44am On May 30, 2013
In summary; no permanent champion. When your time comes, use it well
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by vowiski(m): 7:58am On May 30, 2013
4peace:

And who suffered? By next year, Nokia won't even be among the top 3
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by seunlayi(m): 8:01am On May 30, 2013
4peace:

that means nothing more for them. Android is the current champion now and for years to come.
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by 4peace(m): 9:21am On May 30, 2013
seunlayi: that means nothing more for them. Android is the current champion now and for years to come.

Time will tell

Let me ask why you guys want nokia to adopt android

are you guys not satisfy with plenty of manufacturer already on android
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by 4peace(m): 9:28am On May 30, 2013
vowiski:

And who suffered? By next year, Nokia won't even be among the top 3
Consumer will suffer,cos every will be droid like android no alternative and you know likfe is not like that.
Life is about rotation.

Yahoo used to be top

upon motorola be official android phone where are they today
can it regain it lost glory cos it used to be on top
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by vowiski(m): 10:51am On May 30, 2013
4peace:
Consumer will suffer,cos every will be droid like android no alternative and you know likfe is not like that.
Life is about rotation.

Yahoo used to be top

Can someone explain to me what this dude is ranting about?
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by bigiyaro(m): 11:20am On May 30, 2013
Wizee: In summary; no permanent champion. When your time comes, use it well
bros there are permanent champs o, e. g cokacola.
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by 4peace(m): 11:35am On May 30, 2013
vowiski:

Can someone explain to me what this dude is ranting about?

what is said was written in english not russian
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by caukerzee(m): 11:45am On May 30, 2013
I mean, Nokia still sells Java phones for as much as 25k in this time?? When there ar million and one much better andriod phones out there which cost less than half of that price and they still expect to stay up? Nokia is visionless.
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by caukerzee(m): 11:46am On May 30, 2013
4peace:
Life is about rotation.

Yahoo used to be top

yahoo was never top in the phone business.
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by vowiski(m): 12:23pm On May 30, 2013
4peace:

what is said was written in english not russian

I can understand Russian better than what your wrote.. At least Google can help me translate but I am wondering how yours can be translated.. cheesy
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by 4peace(m): 2:10pm On May 30, 2013
caukerzee: yahoo was never top in the phone business.

when i mention Yahoo you should know aspect of life am talking
is yahoo phone manufacturer?
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by jedisco(m): 3:30pm On May 30, 2013
Deblow: Don't mind Nokia. It used to be my favourite but like many other people who are phone freaks I decided to dump nokia some years back because of its arrogance and lack of vision. Nokia also lacks continuity and it will make a brand which as soon as it received public acceptance nokia will quickly rest the production of such a brand. Arrogance! Nokia phones are too expensive for their values as well. Imagine Nokia E90 which I bought in the year 2008 for N105, 000 having just about 128 MB RAM and less than 500MB internal storage! The phone is practically useless because u can't stream video successfully with it and what can u even do wt it? Compared to Samsung galaxy note 2 that I bought some months ago for N100k and having a 2GB RAM and 16GB internal storage! Nokia really needs to do a kind of self re-appraisal and chart a new way forward with a view to getting into the mainstream of phone manufacturing in this century. ...take a cue from Samsung and and other leading giants.

But why didn't you buy the Note II in 2008?

1 Like

Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by akinlolusewanu9(m): 4:16pm On May 30, 2013
This is what would have happened if Nokia used Android as their Operating System.
http://phonegist..com/2013/04/an-android-based-nokia-phone.html
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by 4peace(m): 6:14pm On May 30, 2013
akinlolusewanu9: This is what would have happened if Nokia used Android as their Operating System.
http://phonegist..com/2013/04/an-android-based-nokia-phone.html
tot i will see nokia fone using android
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by vowiski(m): 7:20pm On May 30, 2013
4peace:
tot i will see nokia fone using android

hehe.. You are funny dude! cheesy
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by cmichaelss(m): 7:22pm On May 30, 2013
abeg make una free nokia. Next 15yearx .d phones una go c go beta pas d curent galaxy s4 maybe cheaper self then.dis world na varnity nd uaraiety. Make andriod d.make windows d.y u no go sel ur windows pc buy andriod pc or tablet.guys wisen up .nokia all d way.
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by vowiski(m): 8:45pm On May 30, 2013
cmichaelss: abeg make una free nokia. Next 15yearx .d phones una go c go beta pas d curent galaxy s4 maybe cheaper self then.dis world na varnity nd uaraiety. Make andriod d.make windows d.y u no go sel ur windows pc buy andriod pc or tablet.guys wisen up .nokia all d way.

Where do we have android for PC? na wa.. una nor go kill person hia cheesy
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by Mafia4life(m): 11:46pm On May 30, 2013
vowiski:

I can understand Russian better than what your wrote.. At least Google can help me translate but I am wondering how yours can be translated.. cheesy
You are self-centred. That's something easy to understand. Yahoo was among the most used email service providers during the time of old. Now we see gmail overtaken by yahoo. Just like MySpace and Facebook.
So you imagine why ur brain couldn't translate what he wrote?
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by Deblow: 2:22am On May 31, 2013
@jedisco u seem to miss the point! If a phone that cost 100+k in 2008 could not deliver a quarter of the features of another phone that costs far less in 2013, then something very fundamental is wrong with such a manufacturer. Those of you cooking up excuses for Nokia brand are just being sentimental and sentiments won't solve Nokia's myriad of problems. Candidly speaking if Nokia wakes up tomorrow and manufactures a phone that beats galaxy note 2 and the likes I will promptly switch camp but for now Nokia is close to the precipice!
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by vowiski(m): 3:08am On May 31, 2013
Mafia4life: You are self-centred. That's something easy to understand. Yahoo was among the most used email service providers during the time of old. Now we see gmail overtaken by yahoo. Just like MySpace and Facebook.
So you imagine why ur brain couldn't translate what he wrote?

Where is the proof that Gmail Overtook Yahoomail?, You are just saying gibberish. That's you guys go about spreading false and fraudulent information. The only competing Google product that has overtake Yahoo is Google Search. Considering the fact that Yahoo is 4-years older than Goolge and it started search way-before Google.
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by apparition: 7:20am On May 31, 2013
Let us Put this Nokia situation in perspective. The mobile phone market share figures announced by Reuters on 14 may 2013 show Samsung as market leader with 23.6%, Nokia second with 14.9%, Apple next with 9% and the rest follow.When Nokia was market leader a while back it had 19.7% share of the market.
I am sure that the current Nokia situation is not what their executives would like but it hardly spells the end of Nokia as a mobile phone manufacturer and distributor.I am not a Nokia apologist but i am not one for misrepresenting situations either. The recent increase in sales of Nokia windows 8 phones deserves mention too.
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by vowiski(m): 8:41am On May 31, 2013
apparition: Let us Put this Nokia situation in perspective. The mobile phone market share figures announced by Reuters on 14 may 2013 show Samsung as market leader with 23.6%, Nokia second with 14.9%, Apple next with 9% and the rest follow.When Nokia was market leader a while back it had 19.7% share of the market.
I am sure that the current Nokia situation is not what their executives would like but it hardly spells the end of Nokia as a mobile phone manufacturer and distributor.I am not a Nokia apologist but i am not one for misrepresenting situations either. The recent increase in sales of Nokia windows 8 phones deserves mention too.

Dude there is a difference between mobile market share and Smartphone market share.

Nokia still has good mobile share,but it's falling like demolished skyscrapper. They dropped by almost 4% from last year. In the SmartPhone Race, Nokia is nowhere to be found and that is the direction of Mobile phones.

People still buy ridiculous expensive symbian phones but sooner or later, it will stop, we are now getting cheaper phones that can do 10-times what other Nokia phones are doing.. Ask Techno, maybe they can explain better
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by apparition: 10:34am On May 31, 2013
With due respect sir, i suggest you read your originating post. The thrust of your post is the mobile market as a whole. There is no doubt that as far as market share figures show Nokia has been slow on the uptake in the smart phone SEGMENT OF THE MOBILE PHONE MARKET.
I am just curious as to what market Intel informs your conclusion. As for cheaper phones i suggest you spend some time in a marketing 101 class and you will understand that it does not quite pan out as you have intimated. People buy items, not just phones for different reasons.There are quite a few people who wouldn't be caught dead with a Tecno phone.
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes That Forced Nokia Out Of The Smartphone Race by vowiski(m): 4:40pm On May 31, 2013
apparition: With due respect sir, i suggest you read your originating post. The thrust of your post is the mobile market as a whole. There is no doubt that as far as market share figures show Nokia has been slow on the uptake in the smart phone SEGMENT OF THE MOBILE PHONE MARKET.
I am just curious as to what market Intel informs your conclusion. As for cheaper phones i suggest you spend some time in a marketing 101 class and you will understand that it does not quite pan out as you have intimated. People buy items, not just phones for different reasons.There are quite a few people who wouldn't be caught dead with a Tecno phone.

Please take a seat!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Startimes S100 Android Digital TV Phone. Anyone Used It? / Mtk Android Vs Non-mtk Android Which Is Better In Nigeria Your Reason / Introducing BRYTE G7 7inches With Flash! Specs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.