Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Motivational Speakers In The Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Motivational Speakers In The Church (728 Views)

10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church / Are Pastors Motivational Speakers ? / Motivational Speakers Or Gospel Preachers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Motivational Speakers In The Church by shdemidemi(m): 3:10pm On May 30, 2013
MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKERS IN THE CHURCH

We are in the days where every preacher/teacher of the word of God now study how to incite, impel and motivate the church for the purpose of staying relevant. Church leaders have become 'Mr Fix it' all of a sudden to satisfy relative and individual problems of their members.

A few of the problems any individual goes through are finances, marriage, fruit of the womb, success. The church have now found a way to accommodate people lusting after these things by creating different gospels (good news) and diverse ministries for them. They start a ministry based on the people's lust, they teach and write books on ways to achieve and acquire these earthly desires. The devil has sneaked in to the church with subtlety and trickery by offering earthly absolutes.

1 Timothy 4
King James Version (KJV)
4 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

They set up marriage seminars, financial and prosperity gospel, barren women's ministry, warfare against principalities and powers, healing and miracle center to mention a few. All of these sounds good to a natural mind but there is no precedence of their gospel in the scriptures, they are man made improvisations, everyone now comes with a mantra of 'God spoke to me'. A Christian and a non-christian now lust after the same things, the only difference is 'one calls Christ and the other does not'. The devil has come to attack the church through seducing and enticing spirits, working through hierarchs to say profane things that are very pleasing to the ears and to the body but directly against the will of God. Most churches have made the pastor and people's problems the subject when inviting people for their programmes (shows) relegating the one and only true gospel of Christ.

Because everyone need money, good marriage and general success, the gospel paraded by motivational speakers become so attractive but gradually deviate the church from the unadulterated true gospel of Christ. If we continue with motivational speaking, we would gradually phase out the scriptures all together.

We must understand that every Christian would lack some things here on earth, some would lack husband, some wife, some children, some money, some health to mention a few. All these problems can only be distractions, deviating us from our walk with God. Buying books (of) or listening to '10 ways to financial break through or 50 ways to a good marriage', or the doctrine of 'think it and get it' are all different good news which is different from the good news of Christ.

Peter started walking on water towards Christ but he started to sink when he got distracted by the wind. Our problems of any sort are similar to the boisterous wind that got Peter afraid, as soon as you focus on the problem(wind), you are caught up with finding solutions outside God but through man(devil).

We must learn to keep our mind at the same level, when we have and when we don't, by trusting God. Apostle Paul said -
'I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.'

No man walked with God without challenges, the scripture says the problems we go through builds up our character, perseverance and endurance. We become stronger each time we scale pass situations and circumstances through the sufficiency of God's grace. Sometimes the pain could be so excruciating and unbearable to our body but our spirit and relationship with God flourish at such moments.

Apostle Paul prayed to God three times concerning an issue, that simply shows us clearly that even the pioneer of this gospel faced challenges too. God replied him saying 'My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness'. Therefore, our prayers, fasting and all other things we do to precipitate a response from God could be a futile exercise if we don't understand the mind, attributes and the relationship of God with the church.

Our hope of eternity through faith puts our mind at rest in any situation. The scripture says 'faith comes by hearing', repetition is a law of deep and lasting impressions which changes our perspective and renews our mind, Therefore continual hearing of the word is the anaesthesia for walking through pains that would naturally kill an unbeliever.

We must therefore walk, run, flee from any man that claims he can take away all our problems through any power or formula. We must also be careful of smooth talkers who speak eloquently with excellence of speech or the wisdom of this world without the substance of the true gospel of Christ

2 Likes

Re: Motivational Speakers In The Church by Provie(m): 3:44pm On May 30, 2013
Did u say "sneak"? The devil has bn ENTHRONED in churches today. Jesus said; time shall com, & now is, when true worshippers of God wil worship in spirit & in truth (not in churches).

In Hebrews 10:25, Apostle Paul says we shld not giv up d habit of meeting 2geda. Tday, going 2 d church has bcom a habit of meeting 2geda, if not somtin worse. No spiritual enrichment. And who wil facilitate d enrichment? So called Pastors, Revds? Daddys? GOs? Ha! ha!! ha!!! U cant giv wat u dont have!

1 Like

Re: Motivational Speakers In The Church by nlMediator: 3:59pm On May 30, 2013
shdemidemi: MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKERS IN THE CHURCH

We are in the days where every preacher/teacher of the word of God now study how to incite, impel and motivate the church for the purpose of staying relevant. Church leaders have become 'Mr Fix it' all of a sudden to satisfy relative and individual problems of their members.

A few of the problems any individual goes through are finances, marriage, fruit of the womb, success. The church have now found a way to accommodate people lusting after these things by creating different gospels (good news) for them. They start a ministry based on the people's lust, they teach and write books on ways to achieve and acquire these earthly desires. The devil has sneaked in to the church with subtlety and trickery by offering earthly absolutes.

1 Timothy 4
King James Version (KJV)
4 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

There is no precedence of their gospel in the scriptures, everyone now comes with a mantra of 'God spoke to me'. A Christian and a non-christian now lust after the same things, the only difference is 'one calls Christ and the other does not'. The devil has come to attack the church through seducing and enticing spirits, working through hierarchs to say profane things that are very pleasing to the ears and to the body but directly against the will of God. Most churches have made the pastor and people's problems the subject when inviting people for their programmes (shows).

Because everyone need money, good marriage and general success, the gospel paraded by motivational speakers become so attractive but gradually deviate the church from the unadulterated and true gospel of Christ. If we continue with motivational speaking, we would gradually phase out the scriptures all together.

We must understand that every christian would lack some things here on earth, some would lack husband, some wife, some children, some money, some health to mention a few. All these problems can only be distractions, deviating us from our walk with God. Buying books (of) or listening to '10 ways to financial break through or 50 ways to a good marriage', or the doctrine of 'think it and get it' are all different good news which is different from the good news of Christ.

Peter started walking on water towards Christ but he started to sink when he got distracted by the wind. Our problems of any sort are similar to the boisterous wind that got Peter afraid, as soon as you focus on the problem(wind), you are caught up with finding solutions outside God but through man(devil).

We must learn to keep our mind at the same level, when we have and when we don't, by trusting God. Apostle Paul said -
'I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.'

We must be careful of smooth talkers who speak eloquently with excellence of speech or the wisdom of this world without the substance of the true gospel of Christ.

Maybe, the motivational part is done in excess. I can't speak for any minister. Let each fufill his or her own calling.

But I should point out one or two things. I may be a bit wrong, but when I look at the life of Jesus, what I see is that all the sincere people that came to listen to Him left the meeting feeling better about their lives. That I think is what church meetings should be about. People should not come with burdens and leave the same way or worse than they came. To the extent that preachers introduce motivation into their preachings, they are following in Jesus' footprints.

Second, the Peter walking on water example you gave is basically taking a message out of the mouth of the "motivational" preachers. Some people here may confirm tat they've heard a preacher that may be labelled motivational say exactly what you said about Peter and the wind. Perhaps, you're guilty of what you accuse them of.
Re: Motivational Speakers In The Church by shdemidemi(m): 4:49pm On May 30, 2013
^^^^^^^^^^^^
On the contrary, people came to Jesus when its time to collect temporal gifts(bread, fish) but when it is time to get the real gifts they all flee.

thanks for your comment.

(1) (Reply)

Plaetton Was Right! Religion Can Damage The Brain / Powerful Word About Righteousnees / He Came Back From Lagos Looking Mad.. Is This Spiritual? Pls Help..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.